RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: US marriage rates dipping because of shortage of financially stable me - RightNation.US

US marriage rates dipping because of shortage of financially stable me Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:58 PM

US marriage rates may be dipping because of a shortage of financially stable men, study suggests
By Colleen Killingsworth
Published September 11
FOX 5 Atlanta

<More Here>

LOS ANGELES - Marriage rates in the United States have been steadily declining since 1960, when the share of adults who were married peaked at 72 percent, with the most dramatic decrease beginning in the 1990s, according to census data that was analyzed by Pew Research Center in September of 2017. A new study published in the Journal of Marriage and Family suggests that it may be due to a shortage of economically attractive partners.

"Most American women hope to marry but current shortages of marriageable men — men with a stable job and a good income — make this increasingly difficult, especially in the current gig economy of unstable low-paying service jobs," said lead author Daniel T. Lichter, Ph.D., of Cornell University. "Marriage is still based on love, but it also is fundamentally an economic transaction. Many young men today have little to bring to the marriage bargain, especially as young women's educational levels on average now exceed their male suitors."

Researchers identified and analyzed recent marriages from two sets of cumulative five-year files from the American Community Survey, one set from 2008-2012 and the second from 2013-2017.

They then used the data to provide estimates of the sociodemographic characteristics of unmarried women's potential spouses who resemble the husbands of comparable married women. In other words, the potential husbands were predicted to reflect the characteristics of the husbands of demographically similar women (i.e. race, education level, income, etc.).

Estimates were then compared with the actual number and distribution of unmarried men at the national, state and local levels to determine if there were imbalances in the marriage market.

Researchers found that women's potential — and hypothetical — husbands would have an average income that is 58 percent higher than the actual unmarried men currently available to unmarried women. The hypothetical potential husbands were also estimated to be 30 percent more likely to be employed and 19 percent more likely to have a college degree.

In other words, what real unmarried men have to offer doesn't match up to what unmarried women want.

Unmarried women with either low or high socioeconomic status, as well as racial and ethnic minorities, especially black women, were found to face the most significant shortage of potential marriage partners, the study suggests.

Marriage rates are more closely linked to socioeconomic status than ever before, according to Pew Research Center's analysis of Census Bureau data which shows that the education gap in marital status has been widening.

(snip)

<More Here>

#2 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:41 PM

Nope.

Because men are getting smart. Men have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

MGTOW

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 29 November 2019 - 06:45 PM

#3 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 29 November 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

US marriage rates may be dipping because of a shortage of financially stable men, study suggests

I thought marriage was about love? :lol:

Hey, somebody has to perpetuate the species. It sure ain't gonna be me! I love the freedom of being single. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want. Sure, I don't get enough sex, but hey, that makes it that much hotter when I do!

Big fan of the Friends-With-Benefits model here. :thumbsup:

#4 User is offline   spt 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:40 PM

In the past 3 years I have had 4 men "interested" in dating me. One was married I said no way. Two made it past the first phone call the last one make it through the first conversation The thee with the telephone conversations were men I knew in high school and college. They all three needed a "nurse maid" and a "pocketbook" They were never interested in me in high school or college but now say they have never stopped thinking about me and how they wished they had asked me out all those years ago. Nope nope and triple nope. I support myself and I am not going to support someone else or be their nurse maid. I have enough to take care of with my own health. I guess if they called now and I mentioned I am not fighting breast cancer they would not even be interested due to I have myself to take care of medically and can't take care of someone else.

I think that is a big reason for the shortage especially among older women have had to take care of them selves and are not willing to give all they have up and be saddled with a man that needs them to take care of them.

#5 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:49 PM

Such a superficial article for a superficial generation. We weren't anywhere near financially stable when we married. We've built everything we have together.

Many young men today have little to bring to the marriage bargain...

With all the overt and/or insidious male bashing that has been going on for decades now... reap what you sow. I didn't click the link, but does the article just continue to lay this entirely at the feet of men males?

#6 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:13 PM

View Postgrimreefer, on 29 November 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

Such a superficial article for a superficial generation. We weren't anywhere near financially stable when we married. We've built everything we have together.

:thumbsup: :yeahthat:

Same here. Mrs Smithee and I both married late (late 30s) At the time, she was a (returning) student going for a med degree; I carried the weight. Later, quitting a Multinational to start the Smithee Org at the peak of the '08 "great recession"? Perhaps not the best time for such a move, but I'd been planning it since spring '08 when things were rosy. Fortunately the Recession didn't really hit us until '10 or so: I started the biz with a 2-year backlog of projects, but '10 that was tapped out - and NOBODY was writing new orders - but by then Mrs Smithee could carry the weight for a time. How tight was it? Trust me, I could write a cookbook: "365 ways to make a 5/$1 pack of Ramen Noodles interesting". At one point I'd hocked everything but my eye teeth just to put gas in my car to be able to do a project that I knew if I billed "net 30" would be at least 90 out.

I always gotta laugh when the Mommas and Poppas sang about "Greasin' on the American Express Card" in Creeque Alley. I might know a thing or two about that.

The Smithee Organization. Est Oct 2008. A number of years were "Touch and Go". It's really only been the last 5-6 years that were "Financially Stable".

#7 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:29 PM

View PostHowsithangin, on 29 November 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

Nope.

Because men are getting smart. Men have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

MGTOW

:exactly:

Lemme see, I want to hand over HALF of my stuff if it doesn't work out, even if it isn't my fault at all and even if she cheated on me?

("No fault divorce" should have NEVER been passed into law in all states.)

Plus most women are just plain batcrap CRAZY. :nuts:

I didn't say ALL, just MOST are. ;)

#8 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:32 PM

View Postspt, on 29 November 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

In the past 3 years I have had 4 men "interested" in dating me. One was married I said no way. Two made it past the first phone call the last one make it through the first conversation The thee with the telephone conversations were men I knew in high school and college. They all three needed a "nurse maid" and a "pocketbook" They were never interested in me in high school or college but now say they have never stopped thinking about me and how they wished they had asked me out all those years ago. Nope nope and triple nope. I support myself and I am not going to support someone else or be their nurse maid. I have enough to take care of with my own health. I guess if they called now and I mentioned I am not fighting breast cancer they would not even be interested due to I have myself to take care of medically and can't take care of someone else.

I think that is a big reason for the shortage especially among older women have had to take care of them selves and are not willing to give all they have up and be saddled with a man that needs them to take care of them.

Proof that guys can be exactly the same as women as I had just described in my previous post.

I have known smokin' hot ladies who seem to be rather intelligent, earn a lot of money who have taken in unemployed completely worthless skateboard punks almost 10 years younger than they are into their homes, fed them, paid their bills etc. and were treated like shidt by them the whole time for years. Yet these same ladies didn't want guys who are alpha males (masculine, not girly men, self reliant, useful, renaissance men) that are honest, trustworthy, respectable, treat women respectfully and earn/pay their own way and are dependable?

I will NEVER understand that.

Go figure? :no:

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 29 November 2019 - 11:42 PM

#9 User is online   Junto 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:08 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/nhqXhCHs/check-her-out-first.jpg

#10 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:48 AM

View PostJunto, on 30 November 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

Great find! SO TRUE! :yes: :2up: :welldone:

#11 User is offline   USNJIMRET 

• Rule 1:The Chief is right Rule 2:If in doubt, check Rule 1
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:00 AM

Stealing!!

#12 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:03 AM

Ok, now I have a bone to pick here!

I'm a single woman who never married because others needed me before I could cater to my own dreams. Now that I'm 'free', I've got wear on the original chassis but the engine purrs and the mind is still agile.

I own my own home, my own business and I don't suffer fool lightly.

I would love to get married to someone I want to spend my life with, not to have a meal ticket or someone to cater to my wants and whims, but to spend my life with someone I enjoy talking to, laughing with, taking care of because it makes me happy to do so and not because it's a requisite to be in the relationship.

Yes, being in a long term monogamous relationship would provide the same things, but there is something about the commitment for a lifetime based on love, respect, friendship and loyalty, where you stick together instead of cutting and running when the schidt hits the fan.

Women and men who are looking for a meal ticket and caretaker instead of a partner gives both genders a bad name...

(and don't start all that 'identifying as' junk with me, or I'll really get ticked... :nono: )

#13 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:16 AM

Hey, a married man on the prowl is just self-identifying as single. :whistling:

#14 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

View PostRock N, on 29 November 2019 - 11:29 PM, said:

:exactly:

Lemme see, I want to hand over HALF of my stuff if it doesn't work out, even if it isn't my fault at all and even if she cheated on me?

("No fault divorce" should have NEVER been passed into law in all states.)

I think Indiana is still an "It's always the guy's fault" state.

Just ask my brother, who ended up paying child support for a kid that wasn't even his, and the fact of her cheating with the guy who was likely the father was the whole reason for the divorce in the first place.

My brother's flaw is that he's a really nice guy, to a fault. I mean, unlike me, I don't think he's ever done a single in his life that would qualify for the word "A-Hole".

His mistake was letting it slide the FIRST time she got caught. They make up and, well, I trust that we're all adult enough to understand what two people do during make-up... and the child comes along 9 months later. Have I mentioned that my brother is a really really NICE guy? I thing he earnestly wanted to forgive her, earnestly wanted to believe the child was his, completely shutting his mind off to the fact that the 9-month window isn't exact to the hour or even the day, and he completely tuned out the obvious possibility. I don't blame him for this; Heck, there are times when I wish *I* had his level of naiveté about things that go on in this world. The Divorce came when the "Final Straw" was he getting caught cheating AGAIN some time after the child was born.... with the same guy who was likely the actual father. (Ain't THAT a kick in the teeth? And it's not often you see a grown man cry.) Okay, NOW, on the advice of his divorce lawyer gets a paternity test and (Is anyone surprised here?) the obvious possibility turned out to be reality. At the very least, it proved the child wasn't "his".

Didn't matter to the Judge, who was female and who had a 'reputation' in Indiana that suggests that she was ALSO likely a member of the 44th Stürmtrooper brigade of the National Organization of Angry Man-Eating Lesbians. (I recall that judge having also once made Reader's Digest's list of "Worst Judges in the USA"). My brother ends up not only losing a house but, insult-to-injury, paying child support.

#15 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

View PostSeverian, on 30 November 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

Hey, a married man on the prowl is just self-identifying as single. :whistling:

... until they self-identify with the kitchen floor from a skillet upside the head.

One of the best movie quotes ever was from Family Business (1989) where Dustin Hoffman tells Sean Connery, "I've never had to go home and tell a lie". I can honestly say exactly the same.

It was '75-ish. At the breakfast table my stepmom - a former wannabee Playboy model in the '60s - "accidentally" lets her robe fall open. I've no idea if she was taunting me or just 'daring' my dad to notice; I'm sitting there scared sh!tless: Obviously I don't want to blurt out "Hey! Nice Tits!" but yet I couldn't help but staring. To this day, I know the exact number of hairs around each nipple (7 on the left, 3 on the right).

I think my dad caught it, even though pretending to read a magazine. Afterward, we do "errands" that take us up to Indianapolis. We stop for lunch. Diner on the southeast corner of Washington @ Belmont (Now a CVS or something). Across the street was a go-go joint (As close to a "Strip" club as Indy ever got). He sez to me while pointedly looking at the place across the street: "Look, but don't touch". Yeah, I read between the lines. To this day I do not "touch". Ever.

I can honestly say that I've never had to go home and tell a lie.

Besides, my man-parts are useful for peeing and stuff. I don't want to be like any number of former Navy colleagues who COULDN'T pee without lightning-bolt-ish pain until they got a shot of penicillin. (That was the '70s; Much MORE risk these days)

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 30 November 2019 - 02:16 PM

#16 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:14 PM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 30 November 2019 - 07:03 AM, said:

Ok, now I have a bone to pick here!

I'm a single woman who never married because others needed me before I could cater to my own dreams. Now that I'm 'free', I've got wear on the original chassis but the engine purrs and the mind is still agile.

I own my own home, my own business and I don't suffer fool lightly.

I would love to get married to someone I want to spend my life with, not to have a meal ticket or someone to cater to my wants and whims, but to spend my life with someone I enjoy talking to, laughing with, taking care of because it makes me happy to do so and not because it's a requisite to be in the relationship.

Yes, being in a long term monogamous relationship would provide the same things, but there is something about the commitment for a lifetime based on love, respect, friendship and loyalty, where you stick together instead of cutting and running when the schidt hits the fan.

Women and men who are looking for a meal ticket and caretaker instead of a partner gives both genders a bad name...

(and don't start all that 'identifying as' junk with me, or I'll really get ticked... :nono: )

:2up:

#17 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:02 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 30 November 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

Besides, my man-parts are useful for peeing and stuff. I don't want to be like any number of former Navy colleagues who COULDN'T pee without lightning-bolt-ish pain until they got a shot of penicillin. (That was the '70s; Much MORE risk these days)

Reminds me of the old saying, you can always tell when someone in the outfit has the clap because all the water pipes on the urinals are bent.

#18 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

:biglaugh: :welldone:

#19 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

LOL.

She may look clean, but...

(If I may be a bit vulgar here...)

A Navy CPO once gave some great advice, on a lecture on STDs: "Realize that, if you can stick your dick there, then it's likely that hundreds if not thousands have been there BEFORE you."

#20 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

47 years of marriage here, with two grown conservative children, conservative grandchildren and a motormouth four year old great grandchild. We got married when I was 21 and he was 24 and, as the saying goes, we didn't have a pot to pee in. He reenlisted in the Navy after having been out for a few years. We moved from small town South Dakota to Norfolk, VA. and lived next door to a McDonalds that we didn't have the money to take our little guy to. After the years of eventually advancing, moving, deployments, raising kids, jobs for me, retirement for him, another retirement for him, retirement for me, we are still together, we haven't killed each other, and we have a happy, healthy family. It was hard, but neither of us was raised with the idea that anything should be handed to us just because. Marriage is hard work, whether one has millions or nothing, whether one is financially stable or the partner is. The paycheck doesn't make the marriage.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users