RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Momentum grows for dropping 'President' from title of China - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Momentum grows for dropping 'President' from title of China Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:15 AM

Momentum grows for dropping 'President' from title of China's leader; Remove 'veneer' of legitimacy

Ben Wolfgang
Washington Times
11/28/19

EXCERPT:

The Trump administration, with a simple change in rhetoric, has signaled a subtle shift in its approach to China in recent weeks — and in the process has deepened a rift with the Communist Party leadership in Beijing.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo delivered a major foreign policy speech late last month in which he referred to Chinese leader Xi Jinping as “general secretary” rather than “president.” The seemingly minor tweak, national security sources and analysts say, carries a much deeper meaning and suggests China hawks in the administration are employing unprecedented bluntness in calling out the lack of democracy and free elections in China.

The policy does not appear to have spread throughout the administration. President Trump referred to “President Xi” when speaking to reporters Tuesday in the Oval Office about the prospects of a trade deal. But sources see growing momentum in Washington to describe the Chinese leader as someone not bound by the will of his people or other democratic checks and balances.

China’s leader technically wears multiple hats. Mr. Xi, 66, is general secretary of the Communist Party of China; president of the People’s Republic of China, a largely ceremonial position making him head of state in protocol terms; and chairman of the powerful Central Military Commission. As part of a concerted drive to cement his power and extend his term, Mr. Xi also secured the title of “core leader” from the Communist Party three years ago.

China in 2018 scrapped the two-term limit for its president, essentially allowing Mr. Xi, who has been in power since 2012, to remain in office indefinitely. Mr. Pompeo’s speech Oct. 30 at the Hudson Institute appears to be the first instance in which a top U.S. official dropped the title “president” when referring to Mr. Xi.

(Full Story)

#2 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:28 PM

"Secretary Xi"

I like it.

Not sure where, either historically or etymologically, "President" came into being. What I DO know is that , as legend has it, Gen. Washington refused the title "King".

Me? I'm nowhere NEAR that "democratic". I'd accept the title Comandanté.

EtA: Besides, in the US Navy, I made it to approximately the same rank as a certain German-Austrian corporal in WWI. So I'm just as qualified to lead a nation as he was. LOL.

Besides:

Lt. Jimmy Carter, USN

1er Lt George w Bush, USAF (res)

Based on historical performance, y'all need a former Enlisted man (or woman) in charge. Someone who knows how to actually DO things rather than merely pencil-push "reports" up the chain. :usa:

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 30 November 2019 - 03:08 PM

#3 User is offline   Mr. Naron 

• But you're not as confused as Nigel, are you?
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

Secretary=Commie

Rhetorical kill shot

#4 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

“They are attempting to reduce the Chinese public’s resentment against them by shifting their attacks on China to mainly on the CPC,” the editorial said. “They try to drive a wedge between the Chinese people and the Party, and solicit Chinese domestic endorsement for their criticism. This adjustment is undoubtedly carefully plotted, but only wishful thinking.”

This is all true. However, once other foreign leaders start referring to China's top official as "Secretary Xi", the Chi-Coms will feel their international standing lessened.

#5 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:28 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 30 November 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

This is all true. However, once other foreign leaders start referring to China's top official as "Secretary Xi", the Chi-Coms will feel their international standing lessened.

I never considered this as a way to turn the people against the government - very interesting.

If my math is correct, the Communist Party of China only makes up ~6% of the population. I'm betting most of the wealth in that country is gravitating around that 6% too. President Trump is adding further pressure with the tariffs, which sting us, but really hurt the 94% by driving up the cost their goods. Meanwhile, we can find cheaper labor in many countries including possibly those south of our borders. Stabilizing us and weakening them.

What happens when 1.2 billion people get upset and start protesting like in Hong Kong?

#6 User is offline   Currahee! 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:57 AM

View PostJunto, on 01 December 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

I never considered this as a way to turn the people against the government - very interesting.

If my math is correct, the Communist Party of China only makes up ~6% of the population. I'm betting most of the wealth in that country is gravitating around that 6% too. President Trump is adding further pressure with the tariffs, which sting us, but really hurt the 94% by driving up the cost their goods. Meanwhile, we can find cheaper labor in many countries including possibly those south of our borders. Stabilizing us and weakening them.

What happens when 1.2 billion people get upset and start protesting like in Hong Kong?

It would be great to watch.....but Do you think the the “the people” across China even know what is going on in Hong Kong. Remember the ChiComs control the internet.....thanks to help from Google, Facebook and others. Most don’t want their “iron rice-bowl” threatened.....they are all Winston and the year is 1984.

#7 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

Currahee!, on 01 December 2019 - 06:57 AM, said:

It would be great to watch.....but Do you think the the “the people” across China even know what is going on in Hong Kong. Remember the ChiComs control the internet.....thanks to help from Google, Facebook and others. Most don’t want their “iron rice-bowl” threatened.....they are all Winston and the year is 1984.

Great question. I am not really sure how much gets through the Great Firewall, but like teenagers who feel like their parents are holding them back, I imagine more and more every day get around the censoring. Then they coukd read how leaders on the world stage are dismissive of their party secretary, or see fingers pointed at the leadership.

#8 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:10 PM

Junto, on 01 December 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

Great question. I am not really sure how much gets through the Great Firewall, but like teenagers who feel like their parents are holding them back, I imagine more and more every day get around the censoring. Then they coukd read how leaders on the world stage are dismissive of their party secretary, or see fingers pointed at the leadership.

The commies in China control money, guns and information. But they aren’t usually stupid about it, it’s not tianemen square every month. They brainwash and flatter people who are used to poverty and grateful for any improvements in their conditions.

Curiously, I think if a real democracy were to take root in China, it’ll come from
Hong Kong or Shanghai or Peking or some other big city right under the watchful eyes of the government.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users