RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Florida high school introduces synthetic frogs for science class disse - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Florida high school introduces synthetic frogs for science class disse Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:05 PM

Florida high school introduces synthetic frogs for science class dissection

November 26, 2019 / 10:23 PM / CBS News

Biology class is getting a little more humane at one high school in Florida, where high school students have started dissecting realistic man-made frogs instead of the real animals. Nearly 100 synthetic frogs were dissected last week by students at J.W. Mitchell High School in New Port Richey, Florida, according to the company that developed them, SynDaver.

The company said the high school is the first in the world to try out the new technology, but it hopes to spread them nationwide making dead, formaldehyde-ridden frogs a thing of the past. The frogs can be used for education, surgical simulation, and medical device testing, SynDaver said.

"The Pasco County School District is committed to being a leader in innovation and opportunity for students, so we are excited to announce that Mitchell High School is the first in the world to use SynFrogs in science labs, giving our students a learning experience no other students have ever had," said Kurt Browning, the Pasco County superintendent of schools.

The synthetic frogs are designed to mimic both the visual and textural elements of a live female frog. They feature a skeleton, muscles, skin, organs and even a reproductive system with eggs. The synthetic tissues are made out of water, fibers and salts.

"This makes it more like a live frog than the preserved specimens currently sold to schools for dissection labs," said Dr. Christopher Sakezles, founder and CEO of SynDaver. "SynFrog not only looks and feels like a real frog, it's physically safer to dissect than a real preserved frog because it doesn't contain potentially harmful chemicals like formalin."

<snip>

Link

I did not have to dissect or even work with live animals until college (and then it was only fruit flies).

#2 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:55 PM

I hated dissection as we had to do it right before lunch period, and the smells ruined my appetite. We each dissected a huge frog, a huge earthworm and a huge crayfish. I would have personally rather have had some fake creatures like these frogs.

#3 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:12 PM

Never had to dissect anything that I recall in school, but I did a fish and a frog/toad on my own earlier on to see what was what. The thing that would have gotten me was the formaldehyde smell, not the grossness of it per se. I rapidly moved out of biology into chemistry and then physics which avoided the having to dork around with dead animals.

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:48 PM

View PostJunto, on 01 December 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

I hated dissection as we had to do it right before lunch period, and the smells ruined my appetite. We each dissected a huge frog, a huge earthworm and a huge crayfish. I would have personally rather have had some fake creatures like these frogs.

Man, that's gross.

#5 User is offline   Big Dave 

• ...and yes, I am compensating for something.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:48 PM

Dissected stuff from 7th grade on in marine biology camp. Not sure why it's a cruelty issue. People eat frog legs, crawdaddies, mussels, etc. constantly. The sad ones were the cats in high school, but they had come from being euthanized. Fake never looks like real because real never looked like what was in the book.

#6 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:05 PM

View PostJunto, on 01 December 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

Dissecting a frog was one of our 7th grade Science class rites of passage.

#7 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:24 PM

View PostBig Dave, on 01 December 2019 - 02:48 PM, said:

Dissected stuff from 7th grade on in marine biology camp. Not sure why it's a cruelty issue. People eat frog legs, crawdaddies, mussels, etc. constantly. The sad ones were the cats in high school, but they had come from being euthanized. Fake never looks like real because real never looked like what was in the book.

You'd be surprised these days. Mrs Smithee deals with this as a physiologist, and occasional instructor, regularly. I've seen some of the stuff she has available to lecture with; I'm thinking "Damn, I wish we'd have have this 20 years ago in EMS training." What WE had to practice with was "Rescusci-Annie", a training mannequin that was about as lifelike as howdy-doody from the Buffalo Bob show. LOL

Still, though, there's a good story behind Annie: How a Dead Girl in Paris Ended Up With The Most-Kissed Lips in History

#8 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:05 PM

I guess I'm just old. I thought everybody dissected a frog in school, usually around the 7th or 8th grade. I never knew anybody who didn't. And it really wasn't a big deal, was it? Mostly it was a chance for the boys to show off to the girls ("See how tough & manly I am? Doesn't bother me at all"), and for the girls to act all "prissy" or whatever ("Oh dear me, I feel faint. I hope there's a big strong boy nearby to catch me...").

The only "yucky" part was the stink.

:pinch:

#9 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:31 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 01 December 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

I guess I'm just old. I thought everybody dissected a frog in school, usually around the 7th or 8th grade. I never knew anybody who didn't. And it really wasn't a big deal, was it? Mostly it was a chance for the boys to show off to the girls ("See how tough & manly I am? Doesn't bother me at all"), and for the girls to act all "prissy" or whatever ("Oh dear me, I feel faint. I hope there's a big strong boy nearby to catch me...").

The only "yucky" part was the stink.

:pinch:

9nth grade here. "Mr Gilberte" was the "science" instructor. My own question was, "Yeah, but what about people" I go an 'F' in his class as I recall. Who cares about frogs?

#10 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:46 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 01 December 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

9nth grade here. "Mr Gilberte" was the "science" instructor. My own question was, "Yeah, but what about people" I go an 'F' in his class as I recall. Who cares about frogs?

Mrs. Frogs?

:eyebrows:

#11 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:35 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 01 December 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

They may have done it in 9th grade, but I skipped that year. And by skip I mean I didn't go to school. I did take it in summer school, but they must not have had time for it then.
Glad I missed it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users