RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: A Thanksgiving lesson from a Dog - RightNation.US

A Thanksgiving lesson from a Dog Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:07 PM

Last Thursday was a time when we are supposed to sit down with friends and family and be grateful for what we have. But, rarely do we ever do this. We always think about and want what we not have thinking that this will somehow bring us happiness. Sure it's fine to want more as long as you are willing to work for and earn it, but do you really need it to be happy? A Dog is a perfect example of all it should take. A few nights ago I was sitting on the Sofa nodding of some and noticed my little fuzzball had beat me to it(nodding of that is). There he was, not a care in the world, squeaky toy within sight, warm, safe, bully full and well scratched. I thought to myself, is that all it takes for him to be happy and Thankful on this Thanksgiving day? My God, we are truly missing something. He understands something we don't. To him he has the world in the fact that he isn't hungry, he is surrounded by those he loves, he is safe. He doesn't understand that our home isn't big or fancy, that the cars we drive aren't high end pricey or the shiniest newest, that we are not rich and have to be very careful, he like most all Dogs is the epitome of what we should all be, very grate full for what really matters.

#2 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:14 PM

That's a lesson that many of us would do well to learn, Oki. But our family is ruled by cats and much as we love them and are entertained by them, gratitude is not a common trait.,

#3 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:22 PM

View PostLiz, on 02 December 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

That's a lesson that many of us would do well to learn, Oki. But our family is ruled by cats and much as we love them and are entertained by them, gratitude is not a common trait.,

We live in both worlds. I have the dog that loves us whether we live in a mansion or a hut, whether we eat steak or hamburger helper and is very happy to get a ride in the car once in a while, and we have cats who just want to rule over us.

#4 User is offline   Liz 

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:10 PM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 02 December 2019 - 07:22 PM, said:

We live in both worlds. I have the dog that loves us whether we live in a mansion or a hut, whether we eat steak or hamburger helper and is very happy to get a ride in the car once in a while, and we have cats who just want to rule over us.

We've had dogs in the past but our last one died about 10 years ago after a long, happy life and my husband just didn't have the heart to bring home another one. Besides the cats would go berserk.

#5 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:37 AM

View PostLiz, on 02 December 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

We've had dogs in the past but our last one died about 10 years ago after a long, happy life and my husband just didn't have the heart to bring home another one. Besides the cats would go berserk.

I've had a dog in my house since I was born. My mom's wedding present cocker spaniel died and I got a Dalmatian for my 13th birthday shortly after. And it's been nonstop since. Our dogs tend to live for 15-16 years, and every time we lose one, I think I can't do it again. It's too hard saying goodby. Then one comes along that needs a home and here we go again. Our current puppy is 10 1/2 years young. Cats, on the other hand, are kind of new to us. We've only had them for three years. My sister was allergic growing up and my daughter was allergic. Now my daughter is grown with her own home, so she brings her allergy meds and two dogs when she comes for a visit, and we live in a zoo for the duration!

#6 User is offline   Liz 

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:52 AM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 03 December 2019 - 12:37 AM, said:

I've had a dog in my house since I was born. My mom's wedding present cocker spaniel died and I got a Dalmatian for my 13th birthday shortly after. And it's been nonstop since. Our dogs tend to live for 15-16 years, and every time we lose one, I think I can't do it again. It's too hard saying goodby. Then one comes along that needs a home and here we go again. Our current puppy is 10 1/2 years young. Cats, on the other hand, are kind of new to us. We've only had them for three years. My sister was allergic growing up and my daughter was allergic. Now my daughter is grown with her own home, so she brings her allergy meds and two dogs when she comes for a visit, and we live in a zoo for the duration!

We've had pets all our lives too, mostly dogs and cats but also tropical fish, iguanas, an African Grey parrot, finches, cockatoos, cockatiels and a Toco Toucan. Like you, we love having them around but it's a lot easier taking care of a few cats than it is tending a menagerie. We're paring down now. :P

#7 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:55 AM

I have had a great cat in the house in the past but have had Shelties for the last 25 years or so. An old saying is quite true: Dogs have masters-cats have staff!

#8 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:15 AM

I work so that my cats can ignore me with a full belly and sleep in the boxes that contained the toys they ignore.

I want to get a dog in the worst way, but I fear that if I did, the cats would put aside their differences and plot my plausible demise and feast off my carcass for 12 years before anyone was the wiser...

#9 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:32 AM

I really miss our dogs. We had a pit/lab/boxer/mini doberman mix named Boots who grew up with my son. She died of old age at just under fifteen. A rescue Husky named Angelous who the Chinese killed at the young age of eight (Turkey Jerky made in China :redhot: ) and a Pomeranian named Boomer who also died when a "mass" ruptured when he was thirteen. My wife was there as each one took their last breath and told me in no uncertain terms, no more until I retire. I can't fault her as it's real emotional when such loyal companions pass. Finding two or more pups WILL be one of the first things I do when I can stay home. 4 years, 6 months and 25 days to go...

We also had two parakeets (Blue and Snowflake) and a Cockatiel (Pepper). We came real close to getting a blue and gold Macaw, but my god can those things projectile poop. :o Pepper was the sweetest thing, but we couldn't get her to stop laying so many eggs and it was her undoing eventually. We took care of a friend's ferrets (Sprite and Seven) and her German Shephard (Jake) for a little over a year. Ferrets are some awesome critters, but the smell... :mellow: Took care of another friend's brindle Corgi/Pit mix (Myla) for awhile. She's a real sweetheart who I hated to have to return.

Oh, and we had fish... meh.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by grimreefer: 03 December 2019 - 05:16 AM

#10 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostLiz, on 02 December 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

Yup, in Cats not so much. But, I have seen a number of Kitties that where as loving and grateful as any Dog. Either way, our four legged friends can teach us much about being grateful for what is truly needed in this life.

#11 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:58 AM

By and large humans don't deserve dogs. Dogs notice we keep all the best food for ourselves, but love us anyway.

#12 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:47 AM

View PostSeverian, on 03 December 2019 - 09:58 AM, said:

By and large humans don't deserve dogs. Dogs notice we keep all the best food for ourselves, but love us anyway.

Mine gets some of my breakfast every morning; usually an over easy egg, a strip of bacon, and some hash browns to herself. And she always gets some turkey at Thanksgiving as well.

She's been with me for 5 years.

#13 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:57 AM

View PostTikk, on 03 December 2019 - 10:47 AM, said:

Mine gets some of my breakfast every morning; usually an over easy egg, a strip of bacon, and some hash browns to herself. And she always gets some turkey at Thanksgiving as well.

She's been with me for 5 years.

Much the same here, 'Fuzzball' received very generous amounts of Ham. Oh, believe me he loves Mashed Potatoes as well, but trust me when I say later in the day things are not festive.
Let's just say that poor little dog looks more like an Inchworm than a pooch. Plus the w.t.f. did you do to me look during the whole episode(which is usually one of a couple) is heartbreaking, even though it's his own damn fault!

#14 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:11 AM

View PostBookdoc, on 03 December 2019 - 01:55 AM, said:

I have had a great cat in the house in the past but have had Shelties for the last 25 years or so. An old saying is quite true: Dogs have masters-cats have staff!

Indeed. Both of mine had upper respiratory infections over the last few weeks, and the vet prescribed antibiotic pills, to be given twice a day. Other than baths, there's nothing a cat likes least than taking a pill. I was mostly successful, but there were a few that ended up under the bed.

#15 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:16 AM

View Postoki, on 03 December 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

Much the same here, 'Fuzzball' received very generous amounts of Ham. Oh, believe me he loves Mashed Potatoes as well, but trust me when I say later in the day things are not festive.
Let's just say that poor little dog looks more like an Inchworm than a pooch. Plus the w.t.f. did you do to me look during the whole episode(which is usually one of a couple) is heartbreaking, even though it's his own damn fault!

Actually the main reason she gets some of my food is because she doesn't beg. She doesn't even beg from others.

She waits patiently until I get up and walk to the area where she eats.

She's really smart in some ways. Really dumb in others. Like she's superstitious of areas of flooring of my house. It's mostly hardwood, but some areas she stalks up to and then scampers past.

#16 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:49 AM

View PostLadybird, on 03 December 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

Indeed. Both of mine had upper respiratory infections over the last few weeks, and the vet prescribed antibiotic pills, to be given twice a day. Other than baths, there's nothing a cat likes least than taking a pill. I was mostly successful, but there were a few that ended up under the bed.

Dogs can be just as bad. One of our Shelties who had a championship in obedience absolutely hated pills that he needed as he got older (we lost him just short of 15 years) and we tried cheese, peanut butter, pill hiding treats and others. He would take it, get the goodie, and then spit out the pill! We did find slathering the pills in bacon grease and that worked for a while until he got wise. We finally had to use an injector to get vital meds down his throat. Still miss him though... :rose:

#17 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:55 AM

The joke in my family is that I hate cats! (I never liked them growing up.) That is why I only have two of them. If I liked them, I would have more. I have a no nonsense black cat about 7 years old we got from the rescue and a twerpy 6 month tuxedo kitty. I am really more of a dog person. A little over a year ago I had to say goodbye to my 12 year old Lab mix due to cancer. I haven’t quite been able to get over that – she was with me through a lot over the years. When I am ready, I will get another doggo and then we will have some fun. I know Levi will be OK, he got along with my Lab, but I’m not sure what Bentley, the wonder kitten will do with a dog around.

And my two cats were very thankful for a lick of whipped cream on Thanksgiving! They're so spoiled! (Imagine if I liked cats.)

This post has been edited by BootsieBets: 03 December 2019 - 11:55 AM

#18 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:08 PM

View PostBootsieBets, on 03 December 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

The joke in my family is that I hate cats! (I never liked them growing up.) That is why I only have two of them. If I liked them, I would have more. I have a no nonsense black cat about 7 years old we got from the rescue and a twerpy 6 month tuxedo kitty. I am really more of a dog person. A little over a year ago I had to say goodbye to my 12 year old Lab mix due to cancer. I havenít quite been able to get over that Ė she was with me through a lot over the years. When I am ready, I will get another doggo and then we will have some fun. I know Levi will be OK, he got along with my Lab, but Iím not sure what Bentley, the wonder kitten will do with a dog around.

And my two cats were very thankful for a lick of whipped cream on Thanksgiving! They're so spoiled! (Imagine if I liked cats.)

I had a dog that my dad asked me to spoil to the end of her days. I did. 15 years later (she was just shy of her 18th birthday) I had to say goodbye as well from cancer.

I told myself that I wouldn't get another dog for at least a year. 11 months later a 9 week old puppy wandered in from the cold at my work.

We've been together ever since. And she's just as spoiled.

#19 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:30 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 03 December 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

Dogs can be just as bad. One of our Shelties who had a championship in obedience absolutely hated pills that he needed as he got older (we lost him just short of 15 years) and we tried cheese, peanut butter, pill hiding treats and others. He would take it, get the goodie, and then spit out the pill! We did find slathering the pills in bacon grease and that worked for a while until he got wise. We finally had to use an injector to get vital meds down his throat. Still miss him though... :rose:

You just described my Fuzzball AND the Shepherd Mix I had growing up.

My Shepherd Mix was about 60-70 pounds of muscle. Not an easy task to give him a pill. Solution? Standing over him placing left arm under his mouth and around his kneck in a quasi headlock position, the with my right arm opening his mouth putting my hand to the back of his throat dropping the pill quickly removing my my arm closing his mouth with my left arm while tilting his head back and then taking my right arm to massage his throat.

Fuzzball (a whopping 5&1/2 pounds) is a bit of a challenge. Trick? Doesn't really matter if it's a pill or liquid...
With my left hand pinch the cheeks forcing him to open his mouth, at the same time hold the mouth firmly once open insert syringe to near back of mouth with right hand while closing mouth with left. Tilt head back and push the syringe. Pull syringe, close mouth completely massage throat. If pill, similar other taking thumb and pointer finger to back of throat then dropping medicine at the back of the tongue.

Ironically my mix growing up was a total chow hound who would eat just about everything EXCEPT the heart worm pills. My Fuzzball is not picky either, likes the Heart worm chewables(hell he thinks it's a treat), BUT HATES AND I DO MEAN HATES any type of medicine. Be it liquid, tiny portion of a pill what not. As soon as the pill bottle or syringe is in sight he will cower and try to sneak away.

#20 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:32 PM

View PostTikk, on 03 December 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

Actually the main reason she gets some of my food is because she doesn't beg. She doesn't even beg from others.

She waits patiently until I get up and walk to the area where she eats.

She's really smart in some ways. Really dumb in others. Like she's superstitious of areas of flooring of my house. It's mostly hardwood, but some areas she stalks up to and then scampers past.

Aaah, lemme' guess when it comes to food and treats she is dangerously smart. When it comes to anything else she often plays dumb as a box of rocks?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users