RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Virginia Gun Proposal Puts Concealed Carry Agreements With Other - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Virginia Gun Proposal Puts Concealed Carry Agreements With Other States In Jeopardy Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

  • ***-----------***
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 51,981
  • Joined: 28-February 03

  Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

Virginia Gun Proposal Puts Concealed Carry Agreements With Other States In Jeopardy

Washington Examiner
by Kerry Picket
January 11, 2020 12:00 AM

Excerpt:

Virginia Democratic Del. Dan Helmer filed a bill Wednesday that would give the commonwealth’s attorney general, Mark Herring, discretion over which states’ carry permits Virginia would continue to recognize.

Virginia’s current concealed carry reciprocity law recognizes every out-of-state concealed carry license, but the new proposal from Helmer could limit the number of out-of-state concealed carry permits Virginia recognizes if Herring deems their carry permit requirements insufficient.

“This is certainly more restrictive than the current process, which recognizes everyone's permit. He can start saying, well, for this reason or that reason, I'm not going to recognize their permit now,” Virginia lawyer George Lyon of Arsenal Attorneys told the Washington Examiner.

Lyon noted, ”There are provisions where people can be denied a permit. For example, if they've had a stalking conviction or if they've had a drug conviction or possibly multiple DUI convictions.”

Virginia is home to the headquarters for the National Rifle Association. The legislature flipped from Republican to Democrat after the 2019 election.

The state's concealed carry reciprocity law was briefly tinkered with in 2015, after the then-Republican majority General Assembly found itself in a grudge match with Herring over firearms-related issues.

*snip*

Full Article
0

#2 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 22,054
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

Whatever happened to the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the constitution?
0

#3 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

  • Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 32,643
  • Joined: 14-October 03

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:57 AM

I think now that I will never visit the state of Virginia ever again for vacation.

I have been to the Martinsville Speedway (which is actually in Ridgeway Va.) numerous times.
0

#4 User is offline   grimreefer 

  • U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter
  • Posts: 6,499
  • Joined: 18-December 03

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:50 AM

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/uploads/1578565656/gallery_6133_220_12946.jpg

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 11 January 2020 - 07:48 PM, said:

Whatever happened to the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the constitution?

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/uploads/1578565656/gallery_6133_220_44602.jpg
0

#5 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 7,173
  • Joined: 05-June 15

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:37 AM

View Postgrimreefer, on 12 January 2020 - 02:50 AM, said:

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/uploads/1578565656/gallery_6133_220_12946.jpg


http://www.rightnation.us/forums/uploads/1578565656/gallery_6133_220_44602.jpg


:biglaugh:
0

#6 User is offline   Junto 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 1,200
  • Joined: 19-January 06

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:17 PM

Travelling 80mph or more is automatically reckless driving in Virginia as well - and they will take you to jail for it without warning (even if the speed limit is 70mph).

What Every Driver Should Know About Speeding In Virginia
0

#7 User is offline   zurg 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 29,873
  • Joined: 19-October 09

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

 Junto, on 12 January 2020 - 02:17 PM, said:

Travelling 80mph or more is automatically reckless driving in Virginia as well - and they will take you to jail for it without warning (even if the speed limit is 70mph).

What Every Driver Should Know About Speeding In Virginia

Wait WHAAAAAAAATTT?
0

#8 User is offline   Junto 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 1,200
  • Joined: 19-January 06

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:54 PM

View Postzurg, on 12 January 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

Wait WHAAAAAAAATTT?

Yeah, I have a friend who lives there and is very careful about his speed. Reckless driving there is a similar class of charges like a DUI, and 20mph over counts as reckless driving. Per this lawyer's website (link), the judges can apply more days in jail based on how many mph over the limit you are going.

"If you are convicted of speeding in Virginia, you may be surprised to find out that you could do time in jail. This is because in Virginia, certain speeding violations are considered a class 1 misdemeanor. Statutes state that if you drive more than 80 mph, or exceed the legal speed limit by more than 20 mph, then an officer will charge you with reckless driving speeding. And besides fines, license suspensions, and a permanent criminal record, a reckless driving conviction carries the possibility of serving time in jail.

If a judge does decide that you should be sent to jail for speeding in Virginia, some judges rely on a mathematical formula. According to the formula, you may serve 2 days in jail for every mph that you were exceeding 90 mph. If you were exceeding a speed of 100 mph, then under this formula you would serve an additional 30 days in jail. And so if you are determined to have been driving at 103 mph, then your jail time may be estimated as follows:

13 mph over x 2 = 26, + an additional 30 = 56 days in jail."

---

Never Speed In Virginia: Lessons From My Three Days In Jail Here is a story of a journalist who did 3 days in jail for 93 in a 55 zone.

This post has been edited by Junto: 12 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

0

#9 User is offline   Junto 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 1,200
  • Joined: 19-January 06

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 11 January 2020 - 07:48 PM, said:

Whatever happened to the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the constitution?

I have been thinking lately about places like Chicago or D.C. where they have/had laws concerning firearms that are super harsh, and viewing it as if we were back in the 1800s out West. You know the cowboy movies where there is a town and the sheriff or marshal bans firearms in the town, and you have to check them in with them until you leave. I don't know if this actually used to happen or not, but I would assume the cowboys passing through for directions or a glass of water were allowed to pass on through WITH their firearms. To bring it around, I feel like there should be a federal law exempting people in possession of weapons passing through places like Chicago or D.C. from any sort of punishment. There would probably need to be a definition applied to 'passing through' and a length of time determined before a city could cite you for possession of your firearm.
0

#10 User is offline   Dutch13 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 16,461
  • Joined: 02-May 06

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:23 PM

To me, a license issued in one state should be recognized by the other states. If Virginia decides to no longer accept a certain state's concealed carry permit, that state should no longer recognize Virginia's drivers licenses.
0

#11 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,405
  • Joined: 22-October 03

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

View PostJunto, on 12 January 2020 - 08:54 PM, said:

Yeah, I have a friend who lives there and is very careful about his speed. Reckless driving there is a similar class of charges like a DUI, and 20mph over counts as reckless driving. Per this lawyer's website (link), the judges can apply more days in jail based on how many mph over the limit you are going.

"If you are convicted of speeding in Virginia, you may be surprised to find out that you could do time in jail. This is because in Virginia, certain speeding violations are considered a class 1 misdemeanor. Statutes state that if you drive more than 80 mph, or exceed the legal speed limit by more than 20 mph, then an officer will charge you with reckless driving speeding. And besides fines, license suspensions, and a permanent criminal record, a reckless driving conviction carries the possibility of serving time in jail.

If a judge does decide that you should be sent to jail for speeding in Virginia, some judges rely on a mathematical formula. According to the formula, you may serve 2 days in jail for every mph that you were exceeding 90 mph. If you were exceeding a speed of 100 mph, then under this formula you would serve an additional 30 days in jail. And so if you are determined to have been driving at 103 mph, then your jail time may be estimated as follows:

13 mph over x 2 = 26, + an additional 30 = 56 days in jail."

---

Never Speed In Virginia: Lessons From My Three Days In Jail Here is a story of a journalist who did 3 days in jail for 93 in a 55 zone.


It's funny how VA is all about hug a thug unless that thug is rolling 20+ or over 80 isn't it?
0

#12 User is offline   grimreefer 

  • U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter
  • Posts: 6,499
  • Joined: 18-December 03

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

Quote

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

Either Virginians got caught napping, or we're advancing to a pitiful lethargic state of being.
0

#13 User is offline   ASE 

  • You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 8,036
  • Joined: 15-June 03

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:00 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 11 January 2020 - 07:48 PM, said:

Whatever happened to the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the constitution?

That is only valid for dem-supported issues.

View PostDutch13, on 13 January 2020 - 01:23 PM, said:

To me, a license issued in one state should be recognized by the other states. If Virginia decides to no longer accept a certain state's concealed carry permit, that state should no longer recognize Virginia's drivers licenses.

Or new york's... <_<

This post has been edited by ASE: 13 January 2020 - 11:04 PM

0

#14 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

  • Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 17,612
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:34 AM

 Junto, on 12 January 2020 - 09:16 PM, said:

I have been thinking lately about places like Chicago or D.C. where they have/had laws concerning firearms that are super harsh, and viewing it as if we were back in the 1800s out West. You know the cowboy movies where there is a town and the sheriff or marshal bans firearms in the town, and you have to check them in with them until you leave. I don't know if this actually used to happen or not, but I would assume the cowboys passing through for directions or a glass of water were allowed to pass on through WITH their firearms. To bring it around, I feel like there should be a federal law exempting people in possession of weapons passing through places like Chicago or D.C. from any sort of punishment. There would probably need to be a definition applied to 'passing through' and a length of time determined before a city could cite you for possession of your firearm.

Peaceable Journey Law. ... The federal code 18 USC § 926A says that as long as the owner of the firearm can legally carry in the state they left and the state they are traveling to, the firearm is unloaded, and that the firearms any ammunition are not easily accessible that they can legally cross state lines.

Carry laws vary state to state.
0

#15 User is offline   oki 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 26,316
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 13 January 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

It's funny how VA is all about hug a thug unless that thug is rolling 20+ or over 80 isn't it?



Think about it this way. If someone is driving it means a big money item to seize and probably sell. Or at least impound and demand 100's if not 1000's to get back no matter how the person pleads.
If someone is a thug they probably don't have much more than pot to pi$$ in and locking them up costs money you will never get back.
0

#16 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 22,054
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:05 PM

View Postoki, on 14 January 2020 - 05:26 PM, said:

Think about it this way. If someone is driving it means a big money item to seize and probably sell. Or at least impound and demand 100's if not 1000's to get back no matter how the person pleads.
If someone is a thug they probably don't have much more than pot to pi$$ in and locking them up costs money you will never get back.


I used to run cigarettes from NC to MD through VA. Especially on route US 301 up to MD. BELIEVE ME, I was NEVER more than 3-5 MPH over.

WORD to smugglers: You don't want to go TOO fast, that give cops an instant excuse. But you don't want to be TOO slow either; that gets you tagged as a possible DWI. In a word: DON'T STAND OUT. Blend in. Be "Just another guy". Same as everyone else. Not too flashy but not too demure either; just an Average Joe going about average business in an average sort of way. Be a "ghost"; a "background" character that everybody remembers hazily. "Yeah, I remember him. I Think. Well could've been him").
0

#17 User is offline   ASE 

  • You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 8,036
  • Joined: 15-June 03

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

Be forgettable?
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users