RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Are Millennials Really Worse Off Than Their Parents? - RightNation.US

Are Millennials Really Worse Off Than Their Parents? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:23 AM

Are Millennials Really Worse Off Than Their Parents?

HotAir
Jazz Shaw
Posted at 5:01 pm on January 12, 2020

Excerpt:

One of the common themes emerging from the slate of 2020 Democratic candidates who are struggling to play down the current, booming economy, is that prosperity isn’t being spread around evenly. This so-called “prosperity disparity” is allegedly evident in the fact that some workers today, particularly millennials, don’t have the same chance at the American Dream as previous generations. It’s a common claim made by Bernie Sanders, found right on his website, where he proclaims that the millennials may be the first generation to not be able to exceed the success of their parents.

Millennials are financially worse off than previous generations, and may not have the chance to do better than their parents, according to a new study by the Government Accountability Office (GAO). Commissioned by Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), the analysis paints a dire economic picture for millennial households: compared to previous generations’ economic status at the same age, millennials—despite higher levels of educational achievement—have lower median and average net worth, lower home ownership rates, higher student debt, and flat incomes.

The media has been more than happy to pick up this ball and run with it. One recent example is found in this CNN analysis from Tami Luhby. She claims that not only is this bad news, but it’s unprecedented in modern American history.

Even though the US economy is growing — according to a recent CNN poll, 76% of Americans think it’s doing better than it has in decades — not everyone is prospering. Millennials are on track to be the first generation not to exceed their parents in terms of job status or income, studies show…

Millennials — which the Pew Research Center classifies as the generation born between 1981 and 1996 — have faced challenges. They came of age at the worst possible moment — when the economy collapsed in the Great Recession, said Michael Hout, a sociology professor at New York University. The US economy is not supporting a continuing increase in occupational status to the extent it once did. Compounding the problem is that millennials’ parents did benefit from an upward shift in job status, making it even harder to surpass their accomplishments.

Only recently I was engaged in an email exchange on this exact subject with a friend who is from my generation. (Actually several years older.) He was born in the early fifties and grew up during what are frequently called the original “happy days.” He was also familar with the tales of our parents and grandparents, describing what life was like for them. He made some good points I’d like to share with you today.

Let’s think about the lives of the grandparents of the baby boomers. Most of them were born when there was hardly any rural electrification. Most of them had outhouses. The majority of the people lived in rural areas, frequently on small family farms that were only a bit better than subsistence level businesses. There were hardly any cars. Medicine was barely into the antibiotic phase, let alone micro-surgery. Hardly anyone went to college unless you came from a very wealthy family. And also, oh, yeah… they lived through two world wars separated by the Great Depression.

*snip*

Full Commentary

#2 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:29 AM

View PostLiz, on 13 January 2020 - 12:23 AM, said:

One of the common themes emerging from the slate of 2020 Democratic candidates who are struggling to play down the current, booming economy, is that prosperity isn’t being spread around evenly. This so-called “prosperity disparity” is allegedly evident in the fact that some workers today, particularly millennials, don’t have the same chance at the American Dream as previous generations. It’s a common claim made by Bernie Sanders, found right on his website, where he proclaims that the millennials may be the first generation to not be able to exceed the success of their parents.

Their parents probably had degrees that were in demand by employers.

#3 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:48 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 13 January 2020 - 12:29 AM, said:

Their parents probably had degrees that were in demand by employers.

If you're referring to the "sought-after" STEM degrees, you may have a point (although there's much dispute about it). On the other hand, it would be foolish to ignore the intentional and systematic dumbing down of the American education system over the past 50 or so years.

#4 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:53 AM

I am so tired of the description of these people as "educated". That simply means they completed the entire libturd brainwashing system. In their parents day, there was no "remedial" classes. The SAT and ACT actually measured whether you had mastered high school skills that you would need for college. Graduating from college MEANT something, not just that you could borrow enough to party for 5-6 years while taking pud courses. The "educated" classification ignores the knowledge learned in the military or the college of hard knocks, both of which are far more valuable that the cr*p colleges put out. It does, however, let the LSM report that educated people agree with them! :soapbox:

#5 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:57 AM

View PostLiz, on 13 January 2020 - 12:48 AM, said:

If you're referring to the "sought-after" STEM degrees, you may have a point (although there's much dispute about it). On the other hand, it would be foolish to ignore the intentional and systematic dumbing down of the American education system over the past 50 or so years.

Back at that time even an English or other liberal arts degree was worth something. You could write a decent report, organize things, and had a wider degree of knowledge. It also showed you could complete something difficult. Most of the propaganda about differences in earning between degreed and non-degreed are based on that time.

#6 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:10 AM

http://i.postimg.cc/52SLdvN6/womens-studies.jpg

#7 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:19 AM

to hear them tell it, Millennials have it worse off than 13th Century plague victims <_<

View PostNatural Selection, on 13 January 2020 - 01:10 AM, said:

If there ever was a mascot of the Millennial Generation, he/she/xer/they/it is it.

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 13 January 2020 - 03:20 AM

#8 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:21 AM

News to Millennials: Xgeners are the first generation to be worse off than their parents, so <censored> off

#9 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:32 AM

Yeah... <_< I can't seem to really get worked up anymore over an educational system that's been debased by mostly leftist social engineering and people's poor life decisions. :shrug:

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/uploads/1578565656/gallery_6133_220_85100.jpg

#10 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:38 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 13 January 2020 - 01:10 AM, said:

When did the American Dream become going into significant debt as a single (assumption) mom for a useless master's degree that has no career path?

Did I miss that memo?

This post has been edited by JerryL: 13 January 2020 - 05:40 AM

#11 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:52 AM

Natural Selection, on 13 January 2020 - 01:10 AM, said:

What a douche. Any chances he posts here Too?

Howsithangin, on 13 January 2020 - 03:19 AM, said:

to hear them tell it, Millennials have it worse off than 13th Century plague victims <_<

If there ever was a mascot of the Millennial Generation, he/she/xer/they/it is it.

:exactly:

This post has been edited by RedSoloCup: 13 January 2020 - 05:51 AM

#12 User is offline   spt 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:48 AM

I unfortunately work in an office with some millennials. I didn't say work with due to they refuse to work. they come to work to party, talk and do what ever except work. One after being there 3 months was demanding a raise and promotion because she had been there for 3 months and deserved it. I told her that I had been there 7 years and had not had a raise or promotion. she said well that is your generation mine are to be promoted and given raises because we are younger. I told her it is not based that way and that she should feel fortunate to have a job and do it. She laughed and said "I show up don't I". That is their attitude all they should have to do is show up not work. The generation of the everyone gets a trophy. They are lazy and demand to get paid for nothing.

#13 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:13 AM

Sure they are. Just ask them.

#14 User is offline   NH Populist 

• <no title>

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:45 AM

View Postspt, on 13 January 2020 - 06:48 AM, said:

She laughed and said "I show up don't I". That is their attitude all they should have to do is show up not work. The generation of the everyone gets a trophy. They are lazy and demand to get paid for nothing.

They're also very interested in Bernie Sander's promise of, "Everything's free if you vote for me"!

#15 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:04 AM

NH Populist, on 13 January 2020 - 07:45 AM, said:

They're also very interested in Bernie Sander's promise of, "Everything's free if you vote for me"!

:yes:
They also believe in unicorns and rainbows.

#16 User is offline   Weaseljd 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

In the legal field we can hardly hire new lawyers out of law school any more. Finding a young attorney who understands the concept of hard work and responsibility is almost impossible. The most recent baby lawyer we hired we let go because after two years their billable hours reported were half the required. These kids are worthless even with the "right" degrees

#17 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:50 AM

Natural Selection, on 13 January 2020 - 01:10 AM, said:

Male or female? (I’m “gender confused” about this one...)

#18 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

View Postzurg, on 13 January 2020 - 08:50 AM, said:

Male or female? (I’m “gender confused” about this one...)

How can you even ask such a question? You're excluding 54 other genders with your bigotry. :tantrum:

:whistling:

#19 User is online   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

View PostLiz, on 13 January 2020 - 12:48 AM, said:

A generalization of sorts. . . .

If you're referring to the teaching of fact regarding the founding of the US you're absolutely right. However there are significant potential contemporary educational benefits, if implemented properly.

Even public schools have convenient access to far more information than was even available 20 years ago. The problem is philosophies and beliefs that are being crammed into students, and the false meanings of historical fact.

#20 User is online   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:07 AM

View Postspt, on 13 January 2020 - 06:48 AM, said:

I unfortunately work in an office with some millennials. I didn't say work with due to they refuse to work. they come to work to party, talk and do what ever except work. One after being there 3 months was demanding a raise and promotion because she had been there for 3 months and deserved it. I told her that I had been there 7 years and had not had a raise or promotion. she said well that is your generation mine are to be promoted and given raises because we are younger. I told her it is not based that way and that she should feel fortunate to have a job and do it. She laughed and said "I show up don't I". That is their attitude all they should have to do is show up not work. The generation of the everyone gets a trophy. They are lazy and demand to get paid for nothing.

My 17 year old daughter has worked as a cashier at a local grocery chain since she was 15. Manages her scheduling around school and other responsibilities -- consistently receives high marks for her efforts. Shows up on time; maintains a 4.4 GPA in a high performance Cincinnati private school.

Don't think I'll need to worry about her. -- and if this is the majority of her competition in the work force she should end up a superstar. . .

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users