RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The Deadliest Marksman’s Cold, Brave Stand - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Deadliest Marksman’s Cold, Brave Stand Finnish sniper Simo Häyhä's story Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

The Deadliest Marksman’s Cold, Brave Stand

Quite interesting story of Finland's best sniper, Simo Häyhä.

Finnish snipers like Häyhä, sometimes with a spotter in tow, would take a position in the snow around dawn, and then wait hours for targets to emerge. “Simo always dressed up very warmly,” says Vesa Nenye, co-author of Finland at War: The Winter War 1939–40. Häyhä wore heavy coats with fur interiors and oversized gloves, all in white. This enabled him “to remain comfortable for long periods of time, stalking the enemy, while the padded clothing can also offer further stability when taking aim.”

In addition to the camouflage, Häyhä hid his position from the Russians by pouring water over the snow where he rested the muzzle of his rifle. The snow would then freeze — the coldest winter temperatures ranged between -4 and -20 degrees Fahrenheit. When Häyhä fired his Pystykorva, there would be no puff of snow for the Russians to see. Häyhä also put snow in his mouth, keeping his breath cold enough to eradicate the condensation cloud that would otherwise appear. And though Häyhä once disclosed that he killed soldiers from as far away as 1,400 feet, he used only his firearm’s foresights, never mounting a scope on the rifle, out of fear that his enemy might notice the sun’s glare in it.

Interesting technique. I'm sure our resident Finn will enjoy this.

#2 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:28 PM

My cousin who qualified as a Marine sharpshooter had a Lapphund named Simo. That dog could stare down a bull back into the pen. Joking, he was a fierce and happy little guy. But I like the namesake. Now my cousin... he still can stare down a bull just not his 3 year-old granddaughter.

#3 User is online   Mrdirt73 

• Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:21 AM

View PostSeverian, on 14 January 2020 - 11:18 AM, said:

The Deadliest Marksman’s Cold, Brave Stand

Quite interesting story of Finland's best sniper, Simo Häyhä.

Interesting technique. I'm sure our resident Finn will enjoy this.

We have a resident Finn? I didn't know that. Growing up, we had a Finnish exchange student live with us for a year.

#4 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:52 AM

View PostMrdirt73, on 15 January 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

We have a resident Finn? I didn't know that. Growing up, we had a Finnish exchange student live with us for a year.

Zurg.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users