RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Boater OR Biker? - RightNation.US

Boater OR Biker? In your personal "Best of All Possible Worlds" Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Boater OR Biker? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Given only one choice...

1. Boater (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Biker (6 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. I'd rather be suicidally 'caged' in on highways (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:02 PM

Boaters and Bikers seem to me to be kindred spirits. "Freedom". To pull up stakes and go wherever, whenever. Some people prefer the freedom of "Open Roads"; I like the freedom of "Open Seas" (YES, even including the hazards. I'm Ex-Navy, I can deal with it.) Hair in the wind. LOL. More like, standing in bilgewater up to your ankles trying to get a motor repaired (and was that a turd the just floated by?) I'll take that ANY day over dealing with Atlanta Traffic.

My retirement plan: 60's-ish Chris-craft Constellation, which can be had for less than the price of my current house in GA:

https://imt.boatwizard.com/images/1/5/92/5430592_20160122182824426_1_XLARGE.jpg

#2 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:09 PM

#3 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:17 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 February 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

Boaters and Bikers seem to me to be kindred spirits. "Freedom". To pull up stakes and go wherever, whenever. Some people prefer the freedom of "Open Roads"; I like the freedom of "Open Seas" (YES, even including the hazards. I'm Ex-Navy, I can deal with it.) Hair in the wind. LOL. More like, standing in bilgewater up to your ankles trying to get a motor repaired (and was that a turd the just floated by?) I'll take that ANY day over dealing with Atlanta Traffic.

My retirement plan: 60's-ish Chris-craft Constellation, which can be had for less than the price of my current house in GA:

https://imt.boatwizard.com/images/1/5/92/5430592_20160122182824426_1_XLARGE.jpg

I hope that you can afford to even fuel it up? :huh:

I LOVED my motorcycle(s) back in the day until I got hurt pretty bad and damned nearly killed after two accidents and neither were my fault. The second was it. After I got my motorcycle rebuilt, I could no longer enjoy it because I was so much more aware of the idiocy of most drivers out there and their total lack of respect or concern for any motorcyclists.

People out driving in general are pretty freaking STUPID and I no longer trust any of them with my safety while I'm on the roads on a motorcycle. The problem was never me, it was always THEM and THEM not paying any damned attention or caring about their own much less MY safety.

I loved having a boat when I was young, but too many stupid drunken fools out there on the river almost running me over made me sell it. Also the dozens of punk "youths" or "teens" from the west end (as the news calls them these days) that used to come and stand in the way on purpose on the launch ramps and docks used to always piss me and my family off. It got to be so bad that my father had to pull out and hold his revolver to get those punks to clear the <censored> off the dock so we could get off of the boat onto shore. Yelling at them did nothing, but the sight of a .38 Colt police special would make them scatter. My Mossberg 500 worked even better. We never pointed these at them, just brought them out and held them.
The cops saw it and never said a word to us either because we had often complained to them many times before about this crap going on. That crap still happens to this day here. If you've ever been on a boat and used Carrie Gaulbert Cox's park to launch or land from into the Ohio river, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 12 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

#4 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:17 PM

Ugh. So much damn work. But the thought of a gust of wind at the right time as I ride by a semi scares the hell outta me.

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:25 PM

https://s1.thingpic.com/images/vr/mf1cK9LyNoFsfieRZnxYUoWD.jpeg

#6 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:29 PM

Okay, so who is the "funny man" who posted that he'd rather be stuck in I-65 congestion rather that either "Open roads" or "Open seas". And WHY, for god's sake?

#7 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 12 February 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Picture is worth a thousand words. If we still lived in Colorado, or Oregon (Outside of Portland)... Or even GA outside of Atlanta...

#8 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

While I definitely understand the attraction to owning a bike and the freedom of movement that it provides, to me nothing compares to the quiet bobbing up & down with the swell some distance from land, the smell of the sea, with the only sounds being seagulls and the lapping of water against the sites of a boat. That is my version of heaven.

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 12 February 2020 - 07:42 PM

#9 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 12 February 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Is THAT YOURS? :tongue:

#10 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:06 PM

Sorry, horses. The methane emitting kind, not the steel kind. I miss not having one any more.

#11 User is offline   searcher 

• <no title>

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:42 PM

I'd go with the motorcycle. Never much liked not being able to see land.

Mark

#12 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:53 PM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 12 February 2020 - 08:06 PM, said:

Sorry, horses. The methane emitting kind, not the steel kind. I miss not having one any more.

If it were not for the responsibility, care, feeding, maintenance, etc., I would love to have a horse to ride around on my farm property once I retire?

It would be so neat to varmint hunt from horseback, ride quietly upon a coyote and then POW! :hunter:

:cloud9:

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:47 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 February 2020 - 07:34 PM, said:

Picture is worth a thousand words. If we still lived in Colorado, or Oregon (Outside of Portland)... Or even GA outside of Atlanta...

:2up:

View PostHowsithangin, on 12 February 2020 - 07:41 PM, said:

While I definitely understand the attraction to owning a bike and the freedom of movement that it provides, to me nothing compares to the quiet bobbing up & down with the swell some distance from land, the smell of the sea, with the only sounds being seagulls and the lapping of water against the sites of a boat. That is my version of heaven.

My wife agrees with you. Sure, she's definitely the "biker mama" type and loves everything about motorcycles. But her dream is a big boat, big enough to live on. She assures me we'd figure out a way to keep a bike on it too, and a way to get the bike on & off the boat quickly & easily so I could ride when we're docked.

View PostRock N, on 12 February 2020 - 07:44 PM, said:

Is THAT YOURS? :tongue:

Oh no. I'm retired and no longer own a motorcycle. I got into some serious legal trouble back when I still lived in Seattle (no, I don't intend to discuss it) and needed a REALLY GOOD (i.e. expensive) lawyer to keep my ass outta jail. I only owned one thing that valuable...my motorcycle...and had to sell it. That's why I'm retired; It's kinda hard to be an active member in a motorcycle club without a motorcycle. I'm retired in good standing, which means I'm still allowed to keep & wear my club colors, attend club meetings, attend club parties, go on club runs, etc. But I can't be included on the "active" rolls because I have no motorcycle.

That picture is simply my idea of a "dream bike". I love old bikes like that. Big fat tires & big fat fenders, wide handlebars, old engines without all the modern "EPA" crap, and so forth. If I suddenly came into lots of unexpected money (win the lottery, rich uncle dies, etc) that's the kind of bike I'd buy.

View Postsearcher, on 12 February 2020 - 08:42 PM, said:

I'd go with the motorcycle. Never much liked not being able to see land.

Mark

:2up:

This post has been edited by MontyPython: 12 February 2020 - 11:48 PM

#14 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:54 PM

Iíve not had much desire to ride a bike since my parents were killed on their Gold Wing 22 years ago. So now we are a boat family, on our third during that time. Too many idiots on the road anymore. Sure, there are idiots on the water too, but mostly traveling at 20mph or less wake surfing and we can all swim.

#15 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

I picked boat. Never owned a boat, had friends that did and during my diving days I was on them all the time. Reason is, if it all goes south, a boat allows you to get the hell out of Dodge better, so somewhere away from everyone.

#16 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:44 PM

I have a bike and love riding once out of town. The weather has sucked balls since August so I haven't had a lot of time.

My favorite boat is someone else's. I enjoy sailing, or even a cabin cruiser but I don't want the maintenance or the expense.

#17 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:55 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 13 February 2020 - 04:44 PM, said:

I have a bike and love riding once out of town. The weather has sucked balls since August so I haven't had a lot of time.

My favorite boat is someone else's. I enjoy sailing, or even a cabin cruiser but I don't want the maintenance or the expense.

As I found out the hard way years ago, a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.

#18 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:02 PM

View PostSARGE, on 13 February 2020 - 04:55 PM, said:

As I found out the hard way years ago, a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.

I own a motorhome and those are about the same.

#19 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:26 PM

Yup, I love boating almost as much as I love riding a motorcycle. I wish I knew how to post photographs. Yes I know how to "copy" a photo from somewhere on the webz and "paste" it somewhere else on the webz. But I'm talking about an actual photograph I have, y'know, on photo paper. It shows me at the helm of a friend's sailboat with a grin so wide you'd think I'm about to swallow both ears. I LOVE boating.

But the cost of maintaining a boat is orders of magnitude higher than maintaining a motorcycle.

B)

#20 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:53 PM

View PostSARGE, on 13 February 2020 - 04:55 PM, said:

Captain Paul, an old Florida cracker who ran a dive boat out of Palm Beach Florida back in the day (outstanding dive boat captain BTW) said there are three reasons to own a boat. For fun, to live on it, or to make your living with it, and only one of those made any sense.

Great captain. Current could be ripping 4 knots and for a drift dive he could line up on landmarks on shore and drop you right on top of the wreck or reef he was aiming for, unerringly. You had a narrow window though, when he started shouting "Dive dive dive now now now get off the damned boat now dive!" it was time to move like you had a purpose, if you dragged your feet you'd be floating half a mile away from the wreck.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users