RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Joe Biden did this to himself. And to the rest of [them]. - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Joe Biden did this to himself. And to the rest of [them]. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:06 PM

Joe Biden did this to himself. And to the rest of us.
It turns out running as the electable candidate requires winning elections
By Molly Jong-Fast
Feb. 13, 2020 at 9:25 a.m. EST
washingtonpost.com

After a fourth-place finish in Iowa and a fifth-place finish in New Hampshire, itís time to take a good, hard look at former vice president Joe Biden, the once-dominant, now-floundering Democratic ďfront-runner.Ē Not to get too technical about it, but I would like to postulate that the Democratic front-runner should be, you know, in front.

A fourth- and fifth-place finish does not in any way constitute being in front. Yes: To run on electability, one should demonstrate the ability to be elected. Thatís a trope thatís illustrated by ó and stick with me here ó winning elections. And perhaps the guy who ran for president three previous times but never placed better than fourth was an odd choice to make the case for electability in the first place.

Things could change after South Carolina, of course; thatís the spin coming out of Bidenís headquarters, and itís certainly true that Iowa and New Hampshire are lousy proxies for the rest of the country. But it looks like Biden is worse than unelectable ó heís also been a huge spoiler.

Biden has distorted the whole 2020 primary cycle: He sat on the top of the polls as the default front-runner for months, and in the process, he sucked up endorsements (five senators, more than two dozen House members, state-level elected officials all over the place) and cash (though perhaps not enough of it) that could have gone to other candidates who, instead, wound up having to drop out for lack of money and establishment support. And then he lost the first two elections. Itís only since his front-runner status started to slip that other centrist candidates have had much of a chance. The promise of Bidenís electability kept former New York mayor Mike Bloomberg from entering the race until November, and as New York magazine put it, ďalmost single-handedly stunted the growth of every other center-left alternative.Ē Biden took up the space that could have been occupied by an Amy Klobuchar or a Pete Buttigieg or a Cory Booker or a Kamala D. Harris, well before Bernie Sanders set off a panic among party insiders by winning the early contests.

More

This post has been edited by Ben Cranklin: 13 February 2020 - 01:07 PM

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:15 PM

This coin has two sides:

1 - Yes, the author's points are well-taken and well-written, but...

2 - Even without Biden as a spoiler, none of the rest of the Dem candidates ever had a snowball's chance against Trump anyway.

:shrug:

#3 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 13 February 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

This coin has two sides:

1 - Yes, the author's points are well-taken and well-written, but...

2 - Even without Biden as a spoiler, none of the rest of the Dem candidates ever had a snowball's chance against Trump anyway.

:shrug:

Indeed. YES, the money spent on Biden could have gone to some other loser. So?

And why did the Holy Grail suddenly pop into my head with the guy saying, "I'm not dead yet"?

#4 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 13 February 2020 - 04:07 PM, said:

Indeed. YES, the money spent on Biden could have gone to some other loser. So?

And why did the Holy Grail suddenly pop into my head with the guy saying, "I'm not dead yet"?

"You'll be stone-dead in a moment..."

;)

#5 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 13 February 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

"You'll be stone-dead in a moment..."

;)

I'm getting better...

#6 User is offline   MontyPython