RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: "Normal" people's behavior in time of panic. (Have you not - RightNation.US

"Normal" people's behavior in time of panic. (Have you not Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:24 PM

All this panic buying brought back a childhood memory. (And of course, I'm going to share my anecdote with you here on RightNation.) When I was probably about 10 my Church was recommending that everyone keep a years supply of fuel and food when possible. (Or at least a 3 month supply.) One night after a Church social my parents (and 2 or 3 other families--I don't remember how many) were challenged not to go to the store for 2 weeks--(3 weeks?) and to live off of our "Years' supply." We did okay. I remember I brought home made whole wheat sandwiches to school (and was laughed at.) But what I really remember is that we had some fresh produce (apples, lettuce, etc.) in our refrigerator that actually went bad--because we didn't eat it. It was like, "this is too precious to eat now--we'll save it for later" and it went bad. I wonder if that is happening now. Strange how people react in a time of uncertainty.

My son (who is staying with us to help out with our medical issues) works at a grocery store. He's got some interesting anecdotes of his own. If this thread lasts for a few comments, I'll share some of his.

#2 User is offline   First Sarge 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:10 PM

We regularly live for 2 weeks or so from the food on hand because I hate going shopping. Every payday we shop for the upcoming 2 weeks and more, just so I donít have to do it again.

#3 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

Years ago I had an employee who was Mormon. Great guy, hard worker, incredibly sharp. One time we were talking and he mentioned the Mormon thing about keeping food enough for I think he said 3 months but can't remember. Being as we were aerospace workers, he said that keeping such a stockpile was incredibly useful for feeding his family during those times when he was laid off. As Isaac Asimov said, asking an aerospace worker if they've ever been laid off is like asking a mother if she's ever been pregnant.

#4 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:32 PM

We haven't bought a lot more. We can still get take out food, so it pretty much the same. The wife picked up a bit more cat-litter seeing it was gone in a few stores. No panic for us so far.

#5 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:43 PM

When my husband was active Navy I would make a menu for each day of the pay period, make a list of ingredients I would need for each meal and hit the commissary big time. I would always leave one day a week 'free' so we could eat McDonalds (Happy Meals were the kids' favorites at that time) or choose something different. It was one day of aggravation, money spent and time to put groceries away, but the rest of the time I didn't have t worry. After he retired and the kids grew up and moved out, I got away from that. Recently, even before all of this nonsense started, I decided to get back to it. I had forgotten how nice it is to not worry about "what should we have for dinner tonight?" " I don't care, anything". It is especially nice as we live in a very small town without much shopping and we go to Pierre, SD about once every two weeks to shop, and hit Sam's Club in Rapid City whenever my husband has an appointment at the VA in Sturgis. But really, it saves money not running to the store every day.

#6 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

Because I was pretty manic about having to endure a northern Idaho winter, I took to heart the warnings that I should have a good pantry supply of staples.

Well, since I'm a genetic worrier, I got myself a half cabinet freezer and it's packed to the gills with chicken, beef and pork, along with bacon, sausage, bulk lunch meats, butter, frozen veggies, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, shredded cheese and a few luxury items like salmon and shrimp.

That goes along with the dried pantry and canned goods that I have, sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, nuts, 18 bulk bags of assorted types of pasta, plus 2 cases of paper towels, 2 cases of toilet paper, 2 cases of facial tissue, laundry and dish liquid, household cleaning supplies, etc...

Long story short, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get out during the winter and feared my driving skills if I did brave my driveway, so I have enough food and beverages here to last me a good four or five months.

Sure, I might have a few repeats here and there, but when you're hungry and you have the supplies to make some favorites, what's not to love?

Plus, the liquor cabinet is well stocked, too, so, I have my medicinal needs seen to as well.

#7 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:06 PM

My daughter (in El Paso) went (for the first time) to a farmer's market in her area. She said the produce was fresher and cheaper than what she used to buy in the stores. The only thing she's worried about buying is diapers. I said, "you may want to think about cloth ones for a while."

#8 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:30 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 18 March 2020 - 08:06 PM, said:

My daughter (in El Paso) went (for the first time) to a farmer's market in her area. She said the produce was fresher and cheaper than what she used to buy in the stores. The only thing she's worried about buying is diapers. I said, "you may want to think about cloth ones for a while."

Did you get a blank look? :)

#9 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:55 PM

My problem is, thereís a Finnish bakery not too far from me, and I love to buy freshly baked old world style rye bread and a few old world pastries, brings back my childhood and my family likes them too. We have a decent amount of stuff in the pantry but I like to eat fresh veggies so we did have to battle the crowds recently a bit. But weíre used to it here because of hurricanes (thank God this isnít happening during hurricane season....)

#10 User is offline   east dallasite 

• I like beer...
  • Group: Silver

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:11 PM

My wife sells hydroponis kits and supplies online and we have a whole room in our house dedicated to plants growing in water. The leaf lettuce is coming along nicely and the soil garden out back is taking off. The only thing we dont grow is meat, but if it gets really bad there's a lot of squirells and possums we could trap.

#11 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:26 PM

We bought some extra staples and fillers - 2 more loaves of bread to freeze, an extra jar of peanut butter, a couple boxes of pasta and mac n cheese. Extra toilet paper wasn't an option, so we grabbed some of those "flushable" adult wet wipe things as back up. Nothing crazy, just enough to ensure we could go an extra couple weeks without going to the grocery store should we need to.

All of this in preparedness/response to the panic buying of others. I'm not buying to prepare for millions of dead and a collapsed economy, I'm buying crap because idiots are clearing the shelves of everything they can find.

#12 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:07 AM

Northern Mi here..We get "Climate Change" in a serious way several times a year so its not uncommon to see new folks to the area doing the toilet paper shuffle Bottled water too...everybody I know already has a bunch of beans an bullets so..no biggie.
kestrel...

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:46 AM

View Posttailgunner, on 18 March 2020 - 07:32 PM, said:

We haven't bought a lot more. We can still get take out food, so it pretty much the same. The wife picked up a bit more cat-litter seeing it was gone in a few stores. No panic for us so far.

Same here, plus the extra large bag of kitty food.

A few weeks ago I saw a video of two ladies in Australia fighting over TP. Figured it might get bad here, so I got a big 20 roll.

#14 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:01 AM

View Posttailgunner, on 18 March 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

Did you get a blank look? :)

We were video chatting. And yes, it was like, "what are these cloth diapers of which you speak?"
My son (who works in a grocery store) told us of a woman who had her cart FULL of "crap." It was like she came to the store, saw there was nothing she wanted, but she had to buy a bunch of something.

A friend of mine (on facebook) said, "I stay with my aged mom during the week these days and go home on weekends. I was horrified last Saturday to discover my husband had bought a case of canned peas! I can think of few things more repulsive."

I think I'd starve before I ate canned peas.

#15 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:40 AM

Iím thinking outside of the box and stocked on q-tips.

The earwax pandemic is just around the corner!!!

This post has been edited by erp: 19 March 2020 - 08:40 AM

#16 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:21 AM

I am generally well stocked up on the ranch anyway. I have lots of food on hand, partly because the garden generates so much food; and partly because I tend to always be prepared.

"Plan for the worst. Hope for the best."

I didn't rush out and do any panic buying, although I did need some things during my recent weekly trip, just to remain stocked well. I already have a freezer full of already smoked meat (briosket, pork shoulder, pork ribs, chicken). And another freezer with uncooked meat in it (more brisket, pork shoulders, pork ribs, and chickens). I may add a turkey or two this week to the uncooked stash if there are any available,

I also stay well stocked in food staples, paper products, pet foods, and cleaning supplies. I even have a workshop full of plumbing, electrical and miscellaneous spare parts. And out of necessity, I keep gasoline and diesel on hand for the tractor and mower.

In addition, I work from home for my tech job - and I live in the middle of nowhere.

#17 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:28 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 19 March 2020 - 08:01 AM, said:

We were video chatting. And yes, it was like, "what are these cloth diapers of which you speak?"
My son (who works in a grocery store) told us of a woman who had her cart FULL of "crap." It was like she came to the store, saw there was nothing she wanted, but she had to buy a bunch of something.

A friend of mine (on facebook) said, "I stay with my aged mom during the week these days and go home on weekends. I was horrified last Saturday to discover my husband had bought a case of canned peas! I can think of few things more repulsive."

I think I'd starve before I ate canned peas.

:yeahthat:

On another note, my niece has used cloth diapers with all four of her kids, three of which were home births (she's a nurse). They've always been an environmentally conscious family. Her brother's wife? Not so much.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 19 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

#18 User is offline   searcher 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:49 AM

Back when Mt. St. Helens erupted folks did a lot of panic buying at my dad's grocery/ hardware store. When it turned out nothing went bad in town many of them wanted to return all they'd bought. I took nothing back at all except for one little old lady who I knew didn't have much money to live on. She had bought 1 gallon of distiller water and a 2 pack of D batteries. For her I did the return. One guy had bought out our whole stock of stove/lantern fuel and he got kinda pissy when I told him I wouldn't take it back. He just didn't understand that his greed prevented other folks from being able to get even 1 gallon.

Mark

#19 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:58 AM

View PostModerator T, on 18 March 2020 - 11:26 PM, said:

We bought some extra staples and fillers - 2 more loaves of bread to freeze, an extra jar of peanut butter, a couple boxes of pasta and mac n cheese. Extra toilet paper wasn't an option, so we grabbed some of those "flushable" adult wet wipe things as back up. Nothing crazy, just enough to ensure we could go an extra couple weeks without going to the grocery store should we need to.

All of this in preparedness/response to the panic buying of others. I'm not buying to prepare for millions of dead and a collapsed economy, I'm buying crap because idiots are clearing the shelves of everything they can find.

We've probably got enough non-perishables (canned goods, dry goods like pasta, egg noodles, rice) to last AT least a month, maybe more. But we ALWAYS have that on hand. Enough perishables in the refrigerator to last at least a full week.

Toilet paper? I try to keep (4) rolls in each of our (3) bathrooms, and buy more when when get down to the last roll in any one place. I've never really measured how long that takes, so when I was at Target last Friday, and the truck came in and they just happened to be restocking, I bought (1) extra 24-pack. I could've bought (3), but WHY? Likewise, Kleenex. Fortunately, we stocked up this past flu season. (1) open square box in each room plus a dozen in the closet... about what it takes to get through a typical cold and flu season.

Chicken? Now, THAT one caught me by surprise. We have half a freezer full of beef from sister-in-law's farm in Indiana, but buy chicken "as needed". The other day, all the store were completely out of chicken. Yesterday they had plenty, so I bought (8) assorted packages - enough for chicken twice a week, plus leftovers, for the next month. Plenty of frozen fish in the freezer next to the beef.

Butter and Eggs? Yesterday, they had plenty of chicken but were out of butter and eggs. This morning they were restocked so I bought an extra dozen eggs and pound of butter.

Water? I don't normally keep any 'plain' fresh water on hand (tho probably should), but we do have a dozen 2-litres of Club Soda and half a dozen of Tonic Water in our bar. It would be enough for drinking if it comes to that. "Worst Case" would be this virus getting into the water supply. "More Likely" would be another water main break which seems to happen about once a year in the Atlanta area, and my particular area is a bit overdue - and things like that ALWAYS happen at the Worst Possible TimeTM. I mean, When could POSSIBLY be the Worst Possible TimeTM for Cobb County Water to have a sudden outage except during the middle of a pandemic when everybody and their kids are at home consuming water and flushing toilets and you know that thing about "wash your hands constantly"?. Heck, I'm surprised the water system hasn't shut down already. You just know it's going to. LOL.

Not "Hoarding", but just "topping up" when possible, on the things I would buy anyway.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 19 March 2020 - 11:17 AM

#20 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:07 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 19 March 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

I am generally well stocked up on the ranch anyway. I have lots of food on hand, partly because the garden generates so much food; and partly because I tend to always be prepared.

"Plan for the worst. Hope for the best."

I didn't rush out and do any panic buying, although I did need some things during my recent weekly trip, just to remain stocked well. I already have a freezer full of already smoked meat (briosket, pork shoulder, pork ribs, chicken). And another freezer with uncooked meat in it (more brisket, pork shoulders, pork ribs, and chickens). I may add a turkey or two this week to the uncooked stash if there are any available,

I also stay well stocked in food staples, paper products, pet foods, and cleaning supplies. I even have a workshop full of plumbing, electrical and miscellaneous spare parts. And out of necessity, I keep gasoline and diesel on hand for the tractor and mower.

In addition, I work from home for my tech job - and I live in the middle of nowhere.

Prepper of the year nominee.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users