RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Brothers who hoarded 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brothers who hoarded 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer forced to donate to charity Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:34 PM

Brothers who hoarded 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer forced to donate to charity
The Tennessee Attorney General's Office opened an investigation for alleged illegal price gouging.
March 15, 2020, 6:29 PM CDT / Source: TODAY
By Alyssa Newcomb

<More About <censored>ty People Here>

Two brothers who went viral for hoarding 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer said they would donate the critical supplies after the Tennessee Attorney General's Office opened a price gouging investigation.

Matt Colvin became a viral villain after he was featured in a New York Times article titled, "He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them." With stores around the country sold out of critical COVID-19 supplies, a photo of Colvin standing in front of shelves of hand sanitizer in his storage unit sparked outrage.

https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2020_11/1548750/200315-matt-colvin-one-time-use-se-656p_35e0d3bfcb0959daeed98b1cf5e83de9.fit-560w.JPG

In the story, Colvin explained how his brother, Noah Colvin, went on a 1,300 mile trip around Tennessee and Kentucky, buying the remaining supply of hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes. Meanwhile, he stayed home in Hixson, Tennessee, and listed the products on Amazon for between $8 and $70.

While Colvin said it was "crazy money," it stopped after Amazon cracked down on coronavirus-related price gouging, leaving him with a stockpile of critical supplies that many people desperately need during the outbreak.

"There is a special place in hell for hoarders of toilet paper and hand sanitizer or price gouging during this national emergency," wrote one Twitter user.

David Smock
@DavidSmockMedia
There is a special place in hell for hoarders of toilet paper and hand sanitizer or price gouging during this national emergy.

4:05 PM - Mar 15, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
34 people are talking about this

Another said Colvin deserved a spot on the "Most hated Americans list." Others were far less diplomatic and called the brothers just about every expletive in the book.

They also pointed out the irony of one of Colvin's quotes. "If I can make a slight profit, that's fine," he told the newspaper. "But I'm not looking to be in a situation where I make the front page of the news for being that guy who hoarded 20,000 bottles of sanitizer that I'm selling for 20 times what they cost me."

(snip)

<More About <censored>ty People Here>

#2 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:17 PM

Despicable Scum!..at he same time I hope they go after the politicians that sold stocks when they had info the rest did not have..same scum if you ask me!
Kestrel...

#3 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:24 PM

Just think, if they hadn't been overly greedy and tacked on a more reasonable markup they'd have made money and been OK.

#4 User is offline   moocow 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:15 PM

View Postkestrel, on 21 March 2020 - 03:17 PM, said:

Despicable Scum!..at he same time I hope they go after the politicians that sold stocks when they had info the rest did not have..same scum if you ask me!
Kestrel...

Why are they “despicable scum?” They saw what they thought was going to be a high demand item, they took the risk of buying that much (how much is 18k bottles of hand sanitizer worth in normal times?) , and they tried to profit from playing what is essence a futures market. If this were truly capitalistic system instead of some price limiting (and therefore supply limiting), they would have:
A) made a very nice tidy profit
B) guaranteed supply to those who REALLY needed it (I.e. those who would be filling to form over a chunk of money for the supplies

And conversely, this whole thing could have blown over as the media hype it is, and they could have lost all their capital investment.

So, again, why are they “scum?”

#5 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:40 PM

View PostSeverian, on 21 March 2020 - 03:24 PM, said:

Just think, if they hadn't been overly greedy and tacked on a more reasonable markup they'd have made money and been OK.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just before all the TP hoarding started, I received my order of a case of toilet paper from Amazon and it was the normal price of $23. As soon as this started a few days later, I went back 'just in case' and tried to buy one more case and they were all sold out, save one more case of the same brand, but now it was $28 - which I gladly paid. These guys could have charged a several dollar markup and been ok, but they got way too greedy.

The video below is going viral about a women who supposedly bought all the TP and paper towels at a Dollar General in Florida. It could be that she just placed a large order for a group home/nursing home, etc so I am not jumping on her right yet. But if the description is to be believed, it is crazy they would even allow her to buy so much. (Hopefully its a misunderstanding.)

#6 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:35 PM

View PostJunto, on 21 March 2020 - 09:40 PM, said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Just before all the TP hoarding started, I received my order of a case of toilet paper from Amazon and it was the normal price of $23. As soon as this started a few days later, I went back 'just in case' and tried to buy one more case and they were all sold out, save one more case of the same brand, but now it was $28 - which I gladly paid. These guys could have charged a several dollar markup and been ok, but they got way too greedy.

The video below is going viral about a women who supposedly bought all the TP and paper towels at a Dollar General in Florida. It could be that she just placed a large order for a group home/nursing home, etc so I am not jumping on her right yet. But if the description is to be believed, it is crazy they would even allow her to buy so much. (Hopefully its a misunderstanding.)

I work for a health care company that runs nursing homes. I highly doubt they'd be getting these specific supplies from a Dollar General. Let alone, the industrial suppliers that nursing homes order these items from are likely not having shortages because they're not selling as retail or to retail outlets for resale.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users