RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Watched "The Wild Angels" last night - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Watched "The Wild Angels" last night Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   tailgunner 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,172
  • Joined: 09-April 03

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:30 PM

Got to wondering if Bruce Dern gave Fonda as good a send off at his death, that Fonda did for Dern in this movie.




0

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 61,028
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:50 PM

I love all those dopey old biker movies, LOL. Everything from "The Wild One" to "The Glory Stompers" to "Hells Angels on Wheels", I'll enjoy watching them for the jillionth time.

With a single exception: "Easy Rider". *yawn* Definitely the worst "biker" movie ever made. Totally dismissable. The only good thing about that movie is the soundtrack.

B)
0

#3 User is offline   searcher 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 3,050
  • Joined: 06-October 03

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:41 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 21 March 2020 - 06:50 PM, said:

I love all those dopey old biker movies, LOL. Everything from "The Wild One" to "The Glory Stompers" to "Hells Angels on Wheels", I'll enjoy watching them for the jillionth time.

With a single exception: "Easy Rider". *yawn* Definitely the worst "biker" movie ever made. Totally dismissable. The only good thing about that movie is the soundtrack.

B)


You're right. The music was the only good part.

I did like the bike Hopper rode.

Mark
0

#4 User is offline   tailgunner 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,172
  • Joined: 09-April 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:15 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 21 March 2020 - 06:50 PM, said:

I love all those dopey old biker movies, LOL. Everything from "The Wild One" to "The Glory Stompers" to "Hells Angels on Wheels", I'll enjoy watching them for the jillionth time.

With a single exception: "Easy Rider". *yawn* Definitely the worst "biker" movie ever made. Totally dismissable. The only good thing about that movie is the soundtrack.

B)


Here's something you might like. I'm sure you have heard of the "mods and rockers" in England. Mods rode vespa scooter and the Rockers, Triumphs and the like. Fashioned from the movie "The Wild Ones" They had "a go" during The Bank Holiday in the early sixties. The fun part. It was hyped up by the media, like now over a insignificant fight before hand. This is part one.


0

#5 User is online   erp 

  • Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 39,161
  • Joined: 29-November 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:25 AM

https://youtu.be/wf73xqZvk6k

Can’t remember how to post the video. Cool song that sampled this movie.

BTW, I thought Nazi’s were atheist? ��

This post has been edited by erp: 22 March 2020 - 07:25 AM

0

#6 User is offline   scotsman 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 17,721
  • Joined: 02-December 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:04 AM

View Posttailgunner, on 22 March 2020 - 07:15 AM, said:

Here's something you might like. I'm sure you have heard of the "mods and rockers" in England. Mods rode vespa scooter and the Rockers, Triumphs and the like. Fashioned from the movie "The Wild Ones" They had "a go" during The Bank Holiday in the early sixties. The fun part. It was hyped up by the media, like now over a insignificant fight before hand. This is part one.




As a Brit, I can tell you the riots between the Mods and Rockers in 1964 were NOT insignificant, they were full blown riots in several 'seaside' resorts in S England, places like Brighton and Margate. They are still famous in the UK over 55 years later. Every Brit, even young uns, know what you mean when you say 'Mods and Rockers'. The fights were nasty, with many injured inc girls, and those resorts suffered vandalism and damage. Its a miracle nobody was killed, though many ended up in hospital.

By the next year, many original Mods had been turned off the scene by the violence and the johnny come lately's who tried to latch onto the scene (allegedly some of them would walk around with scooter helmets but no actual scooter/vespa....), and although the Mod (and Rocker) scenes have lasted to today and are still very popular, the violence abated and the Mod scene esp moved back to simply the fashion and music by 65-66. And of course, as the decade moved on, the mods and rockers of 64 got older, got married, settled down, bought a house, found a job and simply grew up and didn't want to go down the coast for a punch up. The Mod scene lasted until 1967, and then drifted away. Legendary Mod bands like The Small Faces, Kinks, Animals, Creation, Spencer Davis and even the 'oo', moved on musically. Psychedelia, west coast rock, and then heavy rock/early heavy metal all moved in and became the musical fashion.

But its STILL hugely popular today and Mod-ism has of course influenced British youth culture even to today. There was a huge 'Mod revival' in the late 70s, with the 1979 release of the classic film Quadrophenia and bands like The Jam being unashamedly mod, and bringing the look back during punk. Mod revival bands like Secret Affair had big success circa 79-80. It was also a huge influence on the Britpop scene of the 90s. Fashion and musically (bands like Ocean Colour Scene)

The media DID hype it, but it WAS a pretty nasty rivalry that year.

p.s there is no one Bank Holiday in the UK, there are always several during a year, from March/April to October.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 22 March 2020 - 08:18 AM

0

#7 User is offline   tailgunner 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,172
  • Joined: 09-April 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:06 AM

View Posterp, on 22 March 2020 - 07:25 AM, said:

https://youtu.be/wf73xqZvk6k

Canít remember how to post the video. Cool song that sampled this movie.

BTW, I thought Naziís were atheist? ��


The Nazi stuff was to piss off "the squares". The original Boozefighters 1946, would have fought in WW 2. Can't see them wearing Nazi stuff. It's brought up in this movie. Dern is wearing a Iron Across and is taken to task for it. Guy said if you had been at Anizo, you'd know about that stuff. Dern blows him off.
0

#8 User is offline   scotsman 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 17,721
  • Joined: 02-December 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:08 AM

View Posttailgunner, on 22 March 2020 - 07:15 AM, said:

Here's something you might like. I'm sure you have heard of the "mods and rockers" in England. Mods rode vespa scooter and the Rockers, Triumphs and the like. Fashioned from the movie "The Wild Ones" They had "a go" during The Bank Holiday in the early sixties. The fun part. It was hyped up by the media, like now over a insignificant fight before hand. This is part one.




Mods were and are influenced by European fashion and black American music. Italian and French clothes and scooters, black 60s r&b. Original Mods (circa 61-62) were even into jazz.
Rockers were American influenced, 50s US rock and roll music and fashion, with some UK influence re their bikes.
0

#9 User is online   erp 

  • Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 39,161
  • Joined: 29-November 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:13 AM

View Posttailgunner, on 22 March 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

The Nazi stuff was to piss off "the squares". The original Boozefighters 1946, would have fought in WW 2. Can't see them wearing Nazi stuff. It's brought up in this movie. Dern is wearing a Iron Across and is taken to task for it. Guy said if you had been at Anizo, you'd know about that stuff. Dern blows him off.


Got it! Thanks for the clarification. Not interested in watching the movie. Peter Fonda sucks as an actor.
0

#10 User is offline   tailgunner 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,172
  • Joined: 09-April 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

View Postscotsman, on 22 March 2020 - 08:04 AM, said:

As a Brit, I can tell you the riots between the Mods and Rockers in 1964 were NOT insignificant, they were full blown riots in several 'seaside' resorts in S England, places like Brighton and Margate. They are still famous in the UK over 55 years later. Every Brit, even young uns, know what you mean when you say 'Mods and Rockers'. The fights were nasty, with many injured inc girls, and those resorts suffered vandalism and damage. Its a miracle nobody was killed, though many ended up in hospital.

By the next year, many original Mods had been turned off the scene by the violence and the johnny come lately's who tried to latch onto the scene (allegedly some of them would walk around with scooter helmets but no actual scooter/vespa....), and although the Mod (and Rocker) scenes have lasted to today and are still very popular, the violence abated and the Mod scene esp moved back to simply the fashion and music by 65-66. And of course, as the decade moved on, the mods and rockers of 64 got older, got married, settled down, bought a house, found a job and simply grew up and didn't want to go down the coast for a punch up. The media DID hype it, but it WAS a pretty nasty rivalry that year.

p.s there is no one Bank Holiday in the UK, there are always several during a year, from March/April to October.


The large fights were...... A small fight was hype up way out of proportion by the media that set the stage for the large scale stuff. It's explained in the clip. The question? Would any of it have happen, if not for the media?
0

#11 User is offline   tailgunner 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,172
  • Joined: 09-April 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:20 AM

View Postscotsman, on 22 March 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

Mods were and are influenced by European fashion and black American music. Italian and French clothes and scooters, black 60s r&b. Original Mods (circa 61-62) were even into jazz.
Rockers were American influenced, 50s US rock and roll music and fashion, with some UK influence re their bikes.


Yes I got that from the show.
0

#12 User is offline   scotsman 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 17,721
  • Joined: 02-December 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:22 AM

View Posttailgunner, on 22 March 2020 - 08:16 AM, said:

The large fights were...... A small fight was hype up way out of proportion by the media that set the stage for the large scale stuff. It's explained in the clip. The question? Would any of it have happen, if not for the media?


I have seen that BBC doc a couple of times. Interesting, but not convincing. A tendency to bang on about class and see it as the conservative 'Establishment' overreacting to a minor fracas by liberal teenagers. Docs like this on the BBC tend to see things from a modern leftie perspective and love to bash the (more conservative) social order of the times. My parents were both teens/young 20s in the 60s and remember it well. And they saw it as it was: shocking for the UK, violent, moronic and well worthy of the media coverage. They have seen the documentary and didn't think much of it. They and I reject the argument and narrative the documentary presents.

I had Scottish/Anglo-Scots relatives in London and the SE at the time, and when my parents visited there in the mid 60s (67 I think), from what Mum and Dad have told me, I know my relatives didn't think it was just a wee fight by a few idiots. They were genuinely shocked and even scared at the level of violence. We just didn't have that in the UK in 1964, even football hooliganism by English fans was about a decade off in the future.

Yes, it would have. There had been small fights between the two groups in London and outlying overspill towns in 63 and early 64, even long before social media, both groups in the S/SE knew both groups were heading off to Brighton, Margate etc, when the Bank Holidays came and also spring and summer. Both sides were rumbling for a big fight/fights, irrespective of the media. If anything, the UK media was caught flat. The UK had never seen anything like this before, mass riots by teens. Even the 50s 'Teddy Boys' hadn't rioted, although they could cause trouble, but in smaller groups and not mass fights with other groups. 1964 and the Mod-Rocker riots genuinely shocked the UK, even younger people. The nearest the UK had come to 1964, had been some racial fights in London in the late 50s, but that had been racist idiots fighting with black West Indian youth. 1964 was two groups of white kids leathering each other. All across the South Coast. Thankfully it didn't travel up the UK to Northern England with its many 'seaside' towns like Blackpool or Morecambe.

As I said, it turned off even Mods and Rockers and it can be argued that the alleged 'overreaction' by the authorities and media actually nipped any potential future trouble in the bud. 1964 was thankfully a one-off year. We never saw any violence in 1965 or 1966. Which is probably why 1964 still fascinates us.

In 1964, Mods were still a large group but based mostly in Southern England, London especially, in 64, it was only just beginning to spreas out via TV and magazines, to the rest of the UK.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 22 March 2020 - 09:29 AM

0

#13 User is offline   Italian Biker 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 4,267
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:04 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 21 March 2020 - 06:50 PM, said:

I love all those dopey old biker movies, LOL. Everything from "The Wild One" to "The Glory Stompers" to "Hells Angels on Wheels", I'll enjoy watching them for the jillionth time.

With a single exception: "Easy Rider". *yawn* Definitely the worst "biker" movie ever made. Totally dismissable. The only good thing about that movie is the soundtrack.

B)

The Glory Stompers was so bad it was good. But the ultimate campy biker movie of all time has to be CC and Company with Joe Namath and Ann Margret. Though it likely had a much higher budget then any other bixploitation films of the time.
0

#14 User is offline   Italian Biker 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 4,267
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:14 AM

View Postscotsman, on 22 March 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

Mods were and are influenced by European fashion and black American music. Italian and French clothes and scooters, black 60s r&b. Original Mods (circa 61-62) were even into jazz.
Rockers were American influenced, 50s US rock and roll music and fashion, with some UK influence re their bikes.

So what you're saying is mods were the hipsters of the 60's.
0

#15 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,749
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:27 PM

Nothing says you're a badass quite like rolling down the road on a Vespa. :rolleyes:

The book "Clockwork Orange" was written in 1962, I just checked as I was curious if the fighting inspired the book but it comes before the incident.

I remember in the early 2000s we were in London and I was quite surprised to see a bunch of droogies wandering around. They had knickers, sports socks, all wore orange plaid jackets, cut like a suit coat, emblazoned with the words "The Caddies" on the back, all of them carried a golf club. There ware about 7 of them.

Which also reminds me of the great movie "Six String Samurai" where the hero fought a gang of bowlers called the Pin Pals. He kicks one of the guys asses and the guy looks up from the ground and says "Pick up the spare."
0

#16 User is offline   tailgunner 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,172
  • Joined: 09-April 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:51 PM

View PostSeverian, on 22 March 2020 - 12:27 PM, said:

Nothing says you're a badass quite like rolling down the road on a Vespa. :rolleyes:

The book "Clockwork Orange" was written in 1962, I just checked as I was curious if the fighting inspired the book but it comes before the incident.

I remember in the early 2000s we were in London and I was quite surprised to see a bunch of droogies wandering around. They had knickers, sports socks, all wore orange plaid jackets, cut like a suit coat, emblazoned with the words "The Caddies" on the back, all of them carried a golf club. There ware about 7 of them.

Which also reminds me of the great movie "Six String Samurai" where the hero fought a gang of bowlers called the Pin Pals. He kicks one of the guys asses and the guy looks up from the ground and says "Pick up the spare."


Watch the Who's Quadrophenia for the Vespas:) They were part of the Mod scene then. Meaning the Who that is.


This post has been edited by tailgunner: 22 March 2020 - 02:05 PM

0

#17 User is offline   tailgunner 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,172
  • Joined: 09-April 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

Wrong post

This post has been edited by tailgunner: 22 March 2020 - 02:09 PM

0

#18 User is offline   tailgunner 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,172
  • Joined: 09-April 03

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:18 PM

View PostItalian Biker, on 22 March 2020 - 10:04 AM, said:

The Glory Stompers was so bad it was good. But the ultimate campy biker movie of all time has to be CC and Company with Joe Namath and Ann Margret. Though it likely had a much higher budget then any other bixploitation films of the time.


Posts got screw up on my end.

I like it. Not a ban title song.


0

#19 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,749
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:38 PM

Poor old Joe Namath, he's reduced to hawking Medicare advantage plans on late night TV commercials now.
0

#20 User is offline   Magic Rat 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 7,359
  • Joined: 12-April 04

Posted 22 March 2020 - 03:44 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 21 March 2020 - 06:50 PM, said:

I love all those dopey old biker movies, LOL. Everything from "The Wild One" to "The Glory Stompers" to "Hells Angels on Wheels", I'll enjoy watching them for the jillionth time.

With a single exception: "Easy Rider". *yawn* Definitely the worst "biker" movie ever made. Totally dismissable. The only good thing about that movie is the soundtrack.

B)


We've talked about this turkey before. ZZZZ. At least it had a happy ending.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users