RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The Middle Of A Pandemic Is No Time To Be Closing All The - RightNation.US

The Middle Of A Pandemic Is No Time To Be Closing All The Liquor Stores Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:35 AM

The Middle Of A Pandemic Is No Time To Be Closing All The Liquor Stores

HotAir
Jazz Shaw
Posted at 11:01 am on March 22, 2020

Excerpt:

And yet that’s exactly what happened in Pennsylvania. For those not familiar with the Keystone State, there are no privately owned liquor stores. All wine and liquor is sold at state-operated packaged goods stores known as Fine Wine & Good Spirits stores, operated under the auspices of the state Liquor Control Board. Beginning Tuesday night, all of them were shut down by order of Governor Tom Wolf. Unlike New York, Pennsylvania classified the liquor stores as non-essential businesses. And just like that, a state with a population of more than 13 million people effectively went dry.

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board has announced that all Fine Wine & Good Spirits stores and licensee service centers across the state will be closed indefinitely after 9 p.m. Tuesday and the online store closed 5 p.m. Monday.

This follows the heels of Governor Tom Wolf’s announcement that all non-essential businesses should be closed to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.

“This was a tremendously difficult decision to make, and we understand the disruption our store closures will have on consumers and licensees across the commonwealth,” Board Chairman Tim Holden said in a release. “But in these uncertain and unprecedented times, the public health crisis and mitigation effort must take priority over the sale of wine and spirits, as the health and safety of our employees and communities is paramount.”

The sale of booze has long been considered one of the “recession-proof” businesses and for good reason. When times are good, many people like to celebrate by having a drink. When times are hard, some of us tend to drown our sorrows. Did the Governor think the demand for liquor and wine was simply going to dry up because of the pandemic? Compare the situation in Pennsylvania to DC, where booze is flying off the shelves, including unprecedented sales of Everclear.

*snip*

If Governor Wolf insists on treating the state’s liquor and wine stores as a non-essential business, it’s not just going to result in unhappy drinkers. People who live within a reasonable distance of the state’s northern border are going to be flooding into New York to do their shopping. And that’s precisely what’s already started happening. The manager of the store where my wife and I do our shopping said she’s already spoken to numerous customers who said they’d come up from PA. This is precisely the sort of mass travel that we’re supposed to be avoiding during the era of social distancing and self-isolation.

So is there a compromise available? A friend suggested a few possibilities that sound sensible to me so I’ll share them here. And these plans could work in any state where the flow of booze is suddenly being curtailed.

*snip*

Full Story

#2 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:45 AM

Now this is grounds for a riot! :redhot:

:insanity:

This governor ought to be arrested!

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 22 March 2020 - 11:45 AM

#3 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:51 AM

View PostRock N, on 22 March 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

Now this is grounds for a riot! :redhot:

:insanity:

This governor ought to be arrested!

We don't drink all that much but we always keep a nice full bar. :)

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

NY is treating liquor stores as providing an essential service and rules for take out and delivery of alcohol from restaurants have been relaxed as well.

#5 User is offline   pepperonikkid 

• Trucker

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:25 PM

Amen need my scotch http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

#6 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:44 PM

Hey, isn't alcohol an excellent sanitizer against flu viruses? :scratch:

Hence why the liquor distilling companies are now producing more for hand sanitizers?

This governor just wants people to spread the virus! :angry:

#7 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

View PostLiz, on 22 March 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

We don't drink all that much but we always keep a nice full bar. :)

Oh, I'm always well stocked on the alcohol too.

I have many bottles of great Kentucky bourbon and many cases of beer stocked up in my pantry.

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:30 PM

Legalizing weed would be a step forward in relaxing a jittery public. Plus there's no shortage of junk food on grocery shelves.

#9 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:09 PM

Need a drink? [Texas Governor] Abbott waives regulations to allow delivery of alcohol from restaurants

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/90515118_10221555816987402_7700825693998809088_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=zSqwJgH1ib4AX9BXDNg&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=f95b257c2f0549b736f53db656a28d9b&oe=5E9EC40C

This post has been edited by MTP Reggie: 22 March 2020 - 02:12 PM

#10 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

Suddenly, people in Pennsylvania start crowding liquor stores in NJ, NY, OH, WV, MD and DE. That really helped with the social distancing and all.

#11 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

View Postzurg, on 22 March 2020 - 02:26 PM, said:

Suddenly, people in Pennsylvania start crowding liquor stores in NJ, NY, OH, WV, MD and DE. That really helped with the social distancing and all.

Yes. Like the partiers rushing to a border state with a later closing time.

#12 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 22 March 2020 - 03:57 PM

View PostLadybird, on 22 March 2020 - 01:30 PM, said:

Legalizing weed would be a step forward in relaxing a jittery public. Plus there's no shortage of junk food on grocery shelves.

No worries here in Michigan:):):)
Kestrel...

#13 User is offline   Alexis 

• <no title>

Posted 22 March 2020 - 04:48 PM

View PostLadybird, on 22 March 2020 - 02:39 PM, said:

Yes. Like the partiers rushing to a border state with a later closing time.

I don't know if it's still the case, but years ago, if you drove from PA into NJ to buy liquor cheaper, PA would have agents in the liquor store parking lot who would follow you back over the bridge and then stop you when you went back across into PA.

This post has been edited by Alexis: 22 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

#14 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:04 PM

Sucks that y'all don't live in FL or GA.

#15 User is offline   linewinder 

• Ichi Go Ni
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:26 PM

View PostRock N, on 22 March 2020 - 12:44 PM, said:

Hey, isn't alcohol an excellent sanitizer against flu viruses? :scratch:

Hence why the liquor distilling companies are now producing more for hand sanitizers?

This governor just wants people to spread the virus! :angry:

190 Everclear

#16 User is offline   BARman29 

• Stay resolute.

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:27 PM

Wine in PA is available in grocery stores so there is that. As for the good stuff I believe I have a preppers amount of whisky and bourbon. No worries. Oh yeah, it's a stupid move by Gov. Wolf (D).

#17 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:45 PM

#18 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:03 PM

View PostLadybird, on 22 March 2020 - 12:10 PM, said:

NY is treating liquor stores as providing an essential service and rules for take out and delivery of alcohol from restaurants have been relaxed as well.

California allows takeout and delivery of booze now. But you can still get beer/wine/liquor at most any store anyway.

#19 User is offline   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:29 AM

View PostAlexis, on 22 March 2020 - 04:48 PM, said:

I don't know if it's still the case, but years ago, if you drove from PA into NJ to buy liquor cheaper, PA would have agents in the liquor store parking lot who would follow you back over the bridge and then stop you when you went back across into PA.

Reminds me of the fireworks stores in NH. The MA state police would radio the number of any MA licence plate to a MA state trooper just of the border in MA. The car would be stopped and the fireworks confiscated. So NH sent their state troopers over and told them if they did not leave they would be arrested for loitering.

#20 User is offline   Holland25 

• <no title>

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:07 PM

I stocked up on wine not toilet paper. I still think I made the right decision. I am just including more cheese and other constipating foods to my diet to take with my wine. I know, I am ahead of my time.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users