RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Americans Reveal Spending Priorities In Supermarket And Pharmacy Purch - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Americans Reveal Spending Priorities In Supermarket And Pharmacy Purch Purchases Amid Coronavirus Pandemic Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:46 PM

Americans Reveal Spending Priorities In Supermarket And Pharmacy Purchases Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

Washington Examiner
by Kerry Picket
March 22, 2020 09:49 PM

Excerpt:

The coronavirus pandemic has caused a supply chain disruption at supermarkets and pharmacies across the country, revealing what Americans will immediately buy off the shelves in times of a health crisis.

The Washington Examiner did an aisle-by-aisle survey of a handful of local supermarkets and pharmacies in the Washington, D.C., metro area and found most had a low supply or complete absence of certain products after consumers rushed to the stores to make bulk purchases.

Soaps, cleaners, and disinfectants

The public has been bombarded by the media, lawmakers, and public service announcements to sanitize their hands and homes routinely during the pandemic.

All types of hand cleaners and hand soaps had disappeared from the aisles of supermarket and pharmacy store shelves in the Washington region. The same was true for household cleaning solutions and disinfectants.

Paper products/wipes

Supermarket shelves reserved for toilet paper, tissues, sponges, paper towels, disinfectant, and baby wipes were mostly empty in the area. However, the shortage is only temporary, according to Forbes.

These items, often made by American companies such as Proctor & Gamble, are manufactured in factories within the United States. P&G told Forbes that during the health crisis, these products are being produced in U.S. plants at record-high levels.

Water

Buyers in and around the nation's capital scooped up bottles and gallons of water from the shelves of supermarkets early, including specialty bottled waters that are flavored as well as carbonated. However, the coronavirus does not affect the water supply, which the Environmental Protection Agency pointed out in a statement released to reassure Americans.

“There is no higher priority for EPA than protecting the health and safety of Americans. EPA is providing this important information about COVID-19 as it relates to drinking water and wastewater to provide clarity to the public,” the EPA said. “The COVID-19 virus has not been detected in drinking-water supplies. Based on current evidence, the risk to water supplies is low. Americans can continue to use and drink water from their tap as usual.”

*snip*

Full Story

#2 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, it's interesting that the bottled water would be disappearing. Tap water ( in general ) won't kill you, and if you're somehow afraid of contamination, boil it or get a filtration system like Brita or Zero.

I understand the cleaning wipes for the kitchen and bathroom, etc., because you're supposed to up your game with regard to sanitizing things, which is why I always buy the Clorox and Lysol wipes in bulk ( actually, it's laziness on my part because I always have a container in every room that I would need to clean with them so that I don't have to traipse up and down stairs).

I've just been adding more items to the dry pantry goods and getting some fresh things for salads, which sounded really good.

Maybe I'm weird? Wait a minute, there's no maybe about it... :whistle: :blush:

#3 User is offline   moocow 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:42 PM

I still maintain if stores and people were allowed to “price gouge,” we wouldn’t be seeing these supply chain disruptions. Things are flying off the shelf because a) unusual high demand depletes product on shelves leading to B) people worried they won’t be able to get it because it’s out and other people want it, leading to c) more demand, leading back to a). If the price were to suddenly increase, people might take a step back and think, “do I really need this?” Which will discourage people from buying, allowing the stores to restock.

Didn’t the same thing happen with gas lines in 81 as soon as Reagan lifted the price controls?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users