RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Unclogging Toilets at $400,000 a Flush Hits Navy’s Costs - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unclogging Toilets at $400,000 a Flush Hits Navy’s Costs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:58 PM

Unclogging Toilets at $400,000 a Flush Hits Navy’s Costs

Bloomberg
By Anthony Capaccio
(Link)

New toilets on the Navy’s two newest aircraft carriers clog so frequently that the ships’ sewage systems must be cleaned periodically with specialized acids costing about $400,000 a flush, according to a new congressional audit outlining $130 billion in underestimated long-term maintenance costs.

The Navy isn’t sure the toilet systems on the USS Gerald R. Ford and the USS George H. W. Bush can withstand the demand without failing frequently, according to the watchdog agency’s report on service sustainment costs released Tuesday.

The new toilet, similar to what’s used on commercial aircraft, is experiencing “unexpected and frequent clogging of the system” so the “unplanned maintenance action” will be needed “for the entire service life of the ship,” the GAO said in the report requested by the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Although the costly toilets are illustrative of the problem, “we generally did not include these types of ongoing costs in our calculation” of the Navy’s looming sustainment bill, according to the report.

Overall, the Ford’s estimated lifetime operations and sustainment costs have grown to $123 billion from $77.3 billion, the most of six programs GAO evaluated.
“The Carrier toilet system is indicative of the kinds of issues we highlight in our report that are requiring more money, time, and effort to fix than originally anticipated due to a lack of adequate sustainment planning during the acquisition process,” said Shelby Oakley, a GAO director who manages the agency’s ship acquisition reviews

“The pipes are too narrow and when there are a bunch of sailors flushing the toilet at the same time, like in the morning, the suction doesn’t work,” said Oakley. “The Navy didn’t anticipate this problem.”

---

Alternate Link at Foxtrot Alpha/Jalopnik as Bloomberg has a limit to free articles.

#2 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:06 PM

What the hell was wrong with the old style toilet systems?

Let me guess, the new design is undoubtedly "greener."

This post has been edited by Severian: 24 March 2020 - 03:08 PM

#3 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:21 PM

View PostSeverian, on 24 March 2020 - 03:06 PM, said:

The mandated upgrade to the system was probably part of some piece of legislation that got pushed through...

Wait, that NEVER happens...

#4 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:44 PM

They need to put Howard Wolowitz on the problem.

#5 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:56 PM

Well, that's a load of crap....

#6 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:01 PM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 24 March 2020 - 04:21 PM, said:

The mandated upgrade to the system was probably part of some piece of legislation that got pushed through...

Wait, that NEVER happens...

Prolly got toilets like my new house. No flush lever, but Buttons for I and II on top the tank. Not ANYWHERE close to what's needed.

#7 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:47 PM

So, no one thought about the fact that the first thing most people do in the morning is take a dump? But, if you average it out over the day...? That reeks of the kind of "engineering analysis" that assumes that if one woman can have a baby in nine months, nine women can have a baby in one month. The root word of analysis is anal after all.

#8 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:22 PM

View PostSeverian, on 24 March 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

So, no one thought about the fact that the first thing most people do in the morning is take a dump? But, if you average it out over the day...? That reeks of the kind of "engineering analysis" that assumes that if one woman can have a baby in nine months, nine women can have a baby in one month. The root word of analysis is anal after all.

That kind of math has been making news a lot lately. Take Bloomberg spending $500 million and a news anchor and guest extrapolating every American could have instead been given a million dollars. Or, take the current pandemic, where only a limited number of tests are performed on only the most severe cases, and then using the mortality rate from those limited confirmed cases and then assuming the entire population of our country will thus be affected likewise.

This post has been edited by Junto: 24 March 2020 - 09:26 PM

#9 User is offline   moocow 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:02 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 24 March 2020 - 05:56 PM, said:

Well, that's a load of crap....

A boatload even...

#10 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:28 AM

Low flow/water usage toilets. <_<

#11 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:30 AM

View PostJunto, on 24 March 2020 - 09:22 PM, said:

That kind of math has been making news a lot lately. Take Bloomberg spending $500 million and a news anchor and guest extrapolating every American could have instead been given a million dollars. Or, take the current pandemic, where only a limited number of tests are performed on only the most severe cases, and then using the mortality rate from those limited confirmed cases and then assuming the entire population of our country will thus be affected likewise.

And most of the gullible masses will still accept it without any doubt or question.

#12 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:43 AM

you read my mind

#13 User is offline   Alexis 

• <no title>

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:52 PM

It's only OUR money, after all!

Isn't it time they got better toilets before they bankrupt the country!?

#14 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:26 PM

View PostSeverian, on 24 March 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

:yeahthat:

I'm ex Navy and support the US Navy out the wazoo (Well, maybe a bad choice of words in this context).

DOES seem like an "engineering" problem, though. I mean, the average "turd" is how many cm wide and and many cm long? Pretty Sure the Navy has a handle on this, so to speak. heck, there's probably a whole department called NavComToilets looking into This.

#15 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:33 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 25 March 2020 - 05:26 PM, said:

:yeahthat:

I'm ex Navy and support the US Navy out the wazoo (Well, maybe a bad choice of words in this context).

DOES seem like an "engineering" problem, though. I mean, the average "turd" is how many cm wide and and many cm long? Pretty Sure the Navy has a handle on this, so to speak. heck, there's probably a whole department called NavComToilets looking into This.

Oh you just know there's a Mil-Std that specifies what a mil-spec turd is in excruciating detail, size, density, weight, etc. I never saw a test spec for that in Mil-Std-810 but hell, it was probably in there somewhere.

#16 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:34 PM

View PostRock N, on 25 March 2020 - 04:28 AM, said:

Low flow/water usage toilets. <_<

I'm assuming it's a vacuum system like we have on our ship. They can be brought down by someone flushing a single "baby wipe".

#17 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:04 PM

The second link has a link to the GAO's report (.pdf) on this and other expenditures involved in ship building. https://www.gao.gov/.../710/705463.pdf

#18 User is offline   moocow 

• <no title>

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:34 PM

$400k a flush? The crap’s going to really hit the fan! Somebody is in deep crap. I’d hate to be the one responsible for this, he’s going to get the crap beaten out of him. That boat is going to be up crap creek without a paddle.

Seriously though, why the need for a vacuum flush system on a boat? It’s a boat... on the ocean... surrounded by water! Just use high flow toilets with sea water. Sure, separate water system for the toilets, and probably material cost might be higher to withstand the corrosive salt water, it use what you have!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users