To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Gertie Keddle

A.P. Cracks Down on Unpaid Use of Articles on Web

Rate this topic

Doc
Um Doc, that link is over a year old. The new AP rules are clearly (or at least sort of clearly :rolleyes: ) spelled out in Gertie's July 24, 2009 article. Unless you were thinking that they're going to change their minds again?

Oops. sorry about that! Found it on a google search, didn't notice that it was an old link. :sorry:

Hieronymous

I don't understand this.

Seems like a link to one of their articles brings them traffic. Isn't that the goal, to bring traffic to your website then have advertising on the site to finance your company? I understand not wanting whole articles posted because then there is no need to hit their sites. First time I've heard a company complain because Google was listing them. Most companies pay bunches of money for that.

It say's they're a non-profit corp., but then that they want to be paid for every article. How is it possible that the mother of all newswires is non-profit?

If they do make it pay to play, people will stop using them, I doubt many will pay online to read AP articles. Whatever... they mostly print B.S. articles anyway. Maybe the DNC will kick in.

Good catch Gertie

It may be different, as AP isn't a newspaper, but charges newspapers to print their stuff. Plus, I think you have to pay to access their site online. Whatever. They are one of how many news outlets?

furrpiece

I relunctly approach this with the notion that the AP is cutting their own throat, but it's their throat to cut.

My only reluctance would be the suggesting that they can copyright a link to a story. That's ridiculous, and has no legal support that I know of.

A link is an address; it's not content. It's not owned by the AP, written by the AP, or in any way controlled by the AP.

I believe suggesting a link can be copyrighted by anyone steps over the line of public presentation of information. If I write a news story, and sell it to the Houston News, I've released it in public. Giving a link to the news story is no different than pointing a friend to a newspaper rack where they can read the Houston News in on the rack.

tcotrel

I assume as this article is from Newsweek via The Guardian, The Media Outlet That Cannot Be Named Or Linked To cannot sue.

But does its citation constitute a violation of Godwin's Law?

:whistling:

Edited by tcotrel

Political Piper

I'll be honest.. I have a YouTube channel, and so I cover a lot of different articles. But I always archive the article I'm going to discuss, especially when it is a CNN/MSNBC, or other leftist corporate media article. It's really easy to do, and this way, they are not getting profit from you or others who click on the link. I think more people should do is. I think it's imperative that independent media continues to grow and exposes the lies of the corporate media.

The only articles I don't archive are from the Daily Wire, and Washington Times (on occasion) Other than that, most articles are archived so the corporate media doesn't continue to get bigger. They already took all the advertisers away from YouTube, which makes it very hard to get profit through adsense.. So in essence, people like me are doing the same thing to them as they did to us.

Dean Adam Smithee

NOT a problem. OF COURSE they need to get their due. Journalists, like any of us of course, don't work for free.

Lemme know what the AP bill is. If its reasonable, the Smithee Org will cover it. Problem solved.