To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Floridamom

Phil Robertson suspended from Duck Dynasty 'indefinitely'

Rate this topic

KenpoDude

It would seem to me that the "snooty cultured liberal" agenda became more important than the business.

This. Bingo.

De Oppresso Liber

I see plenty of "family friendly" channels which I would not term "conservative": the family of Disney channels, ABC Family, Hallmark, etc. Each of those channels run programming at times with messages that run counter the message I've seen conservatives espouse here.

I had not heard of "Up", but it seems to be the reconstituted GospelTV channel. The channel seems to be repackaged syndicated shows no longer in production. Running less popular syndicated shows is very cheap compared to producing new shows. Where are all the new shows in production aimed squarely at conservatives?

Let's compare two movies, one aimed at liberals and one aimed at conservatives: Fahrenheit 9/11 and An American Carol. F 9/11 cost $6 million to make and had box office receipts of almost over $220 million worldwide for a return of $216 million on that initial $6 million. An American Carol cost twice as much as F 9/11 to make, $12 million, and had box office receipts of $7 million for a return of -$5 million on the $12 million investment. From a business standpoint, when Moore and Zucker (the writer/director of An American Carol) go to get financing for their next movie, why would any financier turn down Moore, or give Zucker any money?

RationalThought

Passion of the Christ cost something like 30 million to make and made over 600 million.

RationalThought

Well, to be clear, progressives don't like that people are fed up with their bs, that's why they start whining about a "right wing media bias", even though there is only 1 news channel that is conservative (Fox), yet it constantly kicks the crap out of all the progressive news channels combined. That's a fact, not an opinion.

It seems like you're not factoring in the network news (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS). NBC draws about 3 times the viewers for it's evening news as the highest rated show on FOX gets (O'Reilly). Combining viewers for the networks with cable and FOX gets swamped about 8 to 1. FAR more people get their news from an outlet OTHER than FOX than from FOX.

That's a fact, not an opinion.

Then, we have radio, where conservative talk radio has demolished the progressives for a couple of decades, now, and at one point, they created their own network (scAir Amerika) that was going to bring down conservative talk radio. How did that work our for them? Since they can't win in the realm of ideas, they want to make government do their dirty work, that's why they keep trying to revive the "Fairness Doctrine", so that they can control the amount of free speech coming from the right.

Unless I'm mistaken, the most popular and successful radio talk show host over the last couple of decades is Howard Stern, anything BUT a conservative.

I think the take away from talk radio and FOX news is that there are a few million conservative people in a nation of 300 million who are obsessed with hearing the news filtered through a conservative lens. As long as success can be had through several hundred thousand people, or less than 1% of the population, conservative media will more than hold their own. Once the needed numbers increase, as in the next point, conservatives face a HUGE hurdle achieving mainstream numbers.

In the arena of tv/movies, it's no secret that most all of it is controlled by progressives, yet when programs, or movies come out with a conservative Christian message to them, they are huge draws at the box office and ratings on tv. Maybe there does need to be a conservative network, but then, when the other networks start losing share, they will whine to the government to control the conservative network, anyway.

Gays already have their own channel (LOGO), Blacks have theirs (BET), a dedicated progressive channel (Current), etc., plus all the usual networks and channels. Same with film companies. As others have said UP is a good start, but there can be more done with it, or add another channel.

I posted a comparison between a progressive movie and a conservative movie in my response to AnnieGotHerGun. I think these conservative "hits" which reach mainstream success numbers are a vanishingly small minority of conservative movie and TV projects. Let's take another conservative movie with real star power behind it, Meggido: the Omega Code II. It cost ~$22 million to produce and had a box office of $6 million for a net loss of ~$16 million. We can throw in the Left Behind movies, which ran ~$4 million to produce with only the first getting theatrical release with ~$4 million in box office with the other 2 going direct to DVD. Notice how similar these box office numbers are. A conservative movie project can be expected to gross between $4 and $7 million at the box office. If I were an executive producer, I would have NEVER budgeted the new Left Behind movie with Nicholas Cage for $15 million unless I went in expecting to lose half my money at best.

RationalThought

RationalThought

You're comparing apples to oranges. You take a fake documentary and compare it to a spoof movie about the creator of the fake documentary and then challenge the results. Talk about disengenuous.

I had not gotten to responding to your post. I listed a few more conservative duds in that response.

I'd be happy to see your list of these huge mainstream conservative successes. I think DD is a mainstream success, even if I cannot consider the focus and intent of DD is inherently conservative. Walking Dead, a HUGE hit, zombie stomps all over DD, ~13 million views to ~8 million.

RationalThought

brah

You quack me up, Brah. ^_^

188062-181526-daffy-duck.jpg

RationalThought

Passion of the Christ cost something like 30 million to make and made over 600 million.

Yep, and The Blair Witch Project cost $22,500 to make and made almost $250 million. ROI of 2,000% versus over 1,000,000%.

I agree with you that Passion was a huge hit. The best thing Mel did was to get churches and pastors on board well before release so they could energize the flock and often organize viewing parties.

How about we fill out the rest of a Top 10 of conservative hit films over the last couple decades?

RationalThought

brah

Maybe not.

Duck Dynasty: The Show That Got Away

by Pat Archbold Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:58 AM

NC Register

Excerpt:

After A&E fired Phil Robertson for saying what every good Christian should believe, social media has been abuzz. One of the recurring themes has been puzzlement about why A&E would cut off its nose to spite its face. Duck Dynasty is the franchise right now. Why would they risk destroying their own cash cow?

To understand the why, we have to go back to the beginning. Duck Dynasty is not the show that they wanted, it is the show that got away from them.

It seems what the producers intended and what A&E envisioned with the show is much different than the show that they ended up with, but they didn't do anything about it because it was so wildly popular and so wildly profitable. But even with all the money, they have never really been comfortable with what happened.

This is what happened. The whole idea of the show was to parade these nouveau riche Christian hillbillies around so that we could laugh at them. "Look at them," we were supposed to say. "Look how backward they are! Look what they believe! Can you believe they really live this way and believe this stuff? See how they don't fit in? HAHAHA"

When the producers saw the way the show was shaping up, different than they envisioned it, they tried to change course. They tried to get the Robertson's to tone down their Christianity, but to their eternal credit they refused. They tried to add fake cussin' to the show by inserting bleeps where no cussword was uttered. At best, they wanted to make the Robertson's look like crass buffoons. At worst they wanted them to look like hypocrites.

They desperately wanted us to laugh at the Robertsons. Instead, we loved them.

A&E wanted us to point fingers at them and laugh at them. But something else happened entirely. Millions upon millions of people tuned in, not to laugh at them, but to laugh with them.

And then we pointed at them. We pointed at them and said things like, "I wish my family was more like them. I wish we prayed together as a family. I wish we were together like the Robertsons."

By the time this all happened, A&E had a conundrum. They knew who the Robertsons were and what they believe and they still held it in disdain. But they really liked the money. Really liked the money. So they lived with it.

But the progressives whose bank accounts were not growing fatter because of these backward rubes were never inclined to look the other way. They hate the show and they really hate the response to the show. They want it destroyed.

Many magazines and interviewers have tried to get the Robertsons to trip up so they could pounce. When Phil backed the Christian viewpoint on homosexuality and added some personal asides about how he just couldn't understand it, they had their moment.

Article

robertsons.jpg

A&E knew what they were getting into just like with Dog The Bounty Hunter but in the end if they drop Duck Dynasty we could see them picked up by another network within a heart beat..

De Oppresso Liber

Yep, and The Blair Witch Project cost $22,500 to make and made almost $250 million. ROI of 2,000% versus over 1,000,000%.

I agree with you that Passion was a huge hit. The best thing Mel did was to get churches and pastors on board well before release so they could energize the flock and often organize viewing parties.

How about we fill out the rest of a Top 10 of conservative hit films over the last couple decades?

RationalThought

So in your opinion, the Blair Witch Project was leftist?

Sure, you can start a list of "Conservative" hit films. You also might want to start a list of "Leftist" hit films. Movies such as Blair witch, which are clearly not politically motivated, really should be left out.

I will add one:

Saving Private Ryan- Conservative

Your turn...

Tea Party Hooligan
RationalThought

Posted Today, 08:51 AM

Tea Party Hooligan, on 20 December 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Well, to be clear, progressives don't like that people are fed up with their bs, that's why they start whining about a "right wing media bias", even though there is only 1 news channel that is conservative (Fox), yet it constantly kicks the crap out of all the progressive news channels combined. That's a fact, not an opinion.

It seems like you're not factoring in the network news (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS). NBC draws about 3 times the viewers for it's evening news as the highest rated show on FOX gets (O'Reilly). Combining viewers for the networks with cable and FOX gets swamped about 8 to 1. FAR more people get their news from an outlet OTHER than FOX than from FOX.

That's a fact, not an opinion.

That's why I said news networks, genius. ABC/CBS/NBC are NOT news networks, even though they have news programs.

Unless I'm mistaken, the most popular and successful radio talk show host over the last couple of decades is Howard Stern, anything BUT a conservative.

I think the take away from talk radio and FOX news is that there are a few million conservative people in a nation of 300 million who are obsessed with hearing the news filtered through a conservative lens. As long as success can be had through several hundred thousand people, or less than 1% of the population, conservative media will more than hold their own. Once the needed numbers increase, as in the next point, conservatives face a HUGE hurdle achieving mainstream numbers.

Yeah, if you want to listen to raunch radio, which is why he went to satellite to begin with, then, sure, Howard had the ratings, but I noticed that you didn't touch on the political radio side of it, which is what I was referring to and even gave you a huge hint when I mentioned that progressive mega network Air America, but you already knew that and opted to divert into the apples and oranges area, again.

I posted a comparison between a progressive movie and a conservative movie in my response to AnnieGotHerGun. I think these conservative "hits" which reach mainstream success numbers are a vanishingly small minority of conservative movie and TV projects. Let's take another conservative movie with real star power behind it, Meggido: the Omega Code II. It cost ~$22 million to produce and had a box office of $6 million for a net loss of ~$16 million. We can throw in the Left Behind movies, which ran ~$4 million to produce with only the first getting theatrical release with ~$4 million in box office with the other 2 going direct to DVD. Notice how similar these box office numbers are. A conservative movie project can be expected to gross between $4 and $7 million at the box office. If I were an executive producer, I would have NEVER budgeted the new Left Behind movie with Nicholas Cage for $15 million unless I went in expecting to lose half my money at best.

Yeah, that Chronicles of Narnia thing really bombed out. So did The Passion of the Christ; it really did poorly. I noticed you mentioned a movie that no one really heard of (Meggido: the Omega Code II) and then claim victory. Once, again, disengenuous.

sunangel1776

Speaking about money....I have learned that Under Armour will continue its support of Duck Dynasty. I have checked their FaceBook page and found that they are being supported for this decision. I will be one of the many who have made the decision to purchase some of their products for Christmas gifts.

Now off to Walgreens for a camouflage Santa hat. :)

RationalThought

So in your opinion, the Blair Witch Project was leftist?

Sure, you can start a list of "Conservative" hit films. You also might want to start a list of "Leftist" hit films. Movies such as Blair witch, which are clearly not politically motivated, really should be left out.

I will add one:

Saving Private Ryan- Conservative

Your turn...

Knowing Sanchez and Myrick personally, their plans for the sequels, and how they live their lives, yep.

I don't think that less clearly politically motivated movies should inherently be left out. Even those will more often than not carry some sort of subtext or message which fits better in either the conservative or liberal category. Plus, conservative projects must compete with those less politically motivated types of films for dollars to go into production.

Looking over the top 50 grossing movies of all time, I don't see ANY I would consider "conservative". The top two, Avatar and Titanic, I would consider liberal. I would also put Jurassic Park and Da Vinci Code in the liberal camp. While only one makes the list, I see Iron Man as VERY liberal where the capitalist arms dealer is redeemed only after renouncing his past transgressions and defeating those who would continue them.

RationalThought

ETA: For conservative movie hits, I would offer United 93 and Braveheart.

Edited by RationalThought

De Oppresso Liber

I had not gotten to responding to your post. I listed a few more conservative duds in that response.

I'd be happy to see your list of these huge mainstream conservative successes. I think DD is a mainstream success, even if I cannot consider the focus and intent of DD is inherently conservative. Walking Dead, a HUGE hit, zombie stomps all over DD, ~13 million views to ~8 million.

RationalThought

You think Walking Dead is inherently leftist?

De Oppresso Liber

Knowing Sanchez and Myrick personally, their plans for the sequels, and how they live their lives, yep.

Nope.

I don't care about them or how they live their lives or whatever else they planned. They hit the market at the right time with a movie that has no political points in it. The sequels all bombed. It was a one off and in no way can count. No matter how much you would like it to.

I don't think that less clearly politically motivated movies should inherently be left out.

Of course you don't. That way unless it is conservative, then all else falls into the other camp bolstering your argument. Disengenous has been used in this thread. And I believe quite appropriately.

Even those will more often than not carry some sort of subtext or message which fits better in either the conservative or liberal category. Plus, conservative projects must compete with those less politically motivated types of films for dollars to go into production.

And the leftist movies do not have to compete with the neutral movies as well?

Looking over the top 50 grossing movies of all time, I don't see ANY I would consider "conservative".

Of course you don't. And I doubt anyone could convince you otherwise.

The top two, Avatar and Titanic, I would consider liberal.

Avatar yes. But Titanic's draw was a love story, not a political message.

I would also put Jurassic Park and Da Vinci Code in the liberal camp

DaVinci Code? Sure. Jurassic Park? Nope. Dangers of science gone awry? Hardly leftist.

While only one makes the list, I see Iron Man as VERY liberal where the capitalist arms dealer is redeemed only after renouncing his past transgressions and defeating those who would continue them.

And I would say the opposite. Iron Man works with the US military and fights against terrorists. Hardly a leftist position.

De Oppresso Liber

1 Avatar $2,782,275,172 2009 [# 1] (Leftist)

2 Titanic $2,186,772,302 1997 [# 2] (Neutral)

3 Marvel's The Avengers $1,518,594,910 2012 [# 3] (Conservative)

4 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 $1,341,511,219 2011 [# 4] (neutral)

5 Iron Man 3 $1,215,439,994 2013 [# 5] (Conservative)

6 Transformers: Dark of the Moon $1,123,746,996 2011 [# 6] (Conservative)

7 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119,929,521 2003 [# 7] (Conservative)

8 Skyfall $1,108,561,013 2012 [# 8] (Conservative)

9 The Dark Knight Rises $1,084,439,099 2012 [# 9] (Conservative)

10 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725 2006 [# 10] (Neutral)

11 Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 2010 [# 11] (Conservative)

12 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $1,043,871,802 2011 [# 12] (Neutral)

13 Jurassic Park $1,029,153,882 1993 [# 13] )(Conservative)

14 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace $1,027,044,677 1999 [# 14] (Conservative)

15 Alice in Wonderland $1,024,299,904 2010 [# 15] (Neutral)

16 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey $1,017,003,568 2012 [# 16] (Conservative)

17 The Dark Knight $1,004,558,444 2008 [# 17] (Conservative)

18 The Lion King $987,483,777 1994 [# 18] (Conservative)

19 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone $974,755,371 2001 [# 19] (Neutral)

20 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End $963,420,425 2007 [# 20] (Neutral)

21 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 $960,283,305 2010 [# 21] (Neutral)

22 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix $939,885,929 2007 [# 22] (Neutral)

23 Finding Nemo $936,743,261 2003 [# 23] (Conservative)

24 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince $934,416,487 2009 [# 24] (Neutral)

25 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers $926,047,111 2002 [# 25] (Conservative)

26 Shrek 2 $919,838,758 2004 [# 26] (Neutral)

27 Despicable Me 2 film currently playing $918,612,050 2013 [# 27] (No idea)

28 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire $896,911,078 2005 [# 28] (Neutral)

29 Spider-Man 3 $890,871,626 2007 [# 29] (Conservative)

30 Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs $886,686,817 2009 [# 30] (Conservative)

31 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets $878,979,634 2002 [# 31] (Neutral)

32 Ice Age: Continental Drift $877,244,782 2012 [# 32] (Conservative)

33 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring $871,530,324 2001 [# 33] (Conservative)

34 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith $848,754,768 2005 [# 34] (Conservative)

35 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen $836,303,693 2009 [# 35] (Conservative)

36 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 $829,685,377 2012 [# 36] (No idea)

37 Inception $825,532,764 2010 [# 37] (No idea)

38 Spider-Man $821,708,551 2002 [# 38] (Conservative)

39 Independence Day $817,400,891 1996 [# 39] (Conservative)

40 Shrek the Third $798,958,162 2007 [# 40] (Conservative)

41 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban $796,688,549 2004 [# 41] (Neutral)

42 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $792,910,554 1982 [# 42] (Neutral)

43 Fast & Furious 6 $788,679,850 2013 [# 43] (No idea)

44 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull $786,636,033 2008 [# 44] (No idea)

45 Spider-Man 2 $783,766,341 2004 [# 45] (Conservative)

46 Star Wars $775,398,007 1977 [# 46] (Conservative)

47 2012 $769,679,473 2009 [# 47] (Leftist)

48 The Da Vinci Code $758,239,851 2006 [# 48] (Leftist)

49 Shrek Forever After $752,600,867 2010 [# 49] (Conservative)

50 The Amazing Spider-Man $752,216,557 2012 [# 50] (Neutral)

I have listed the top 50 in my opinion. Please feel free to ask me why I see any of them the way I do.

Edited to add:

I listed them as "Leftist" if they have an obvious slant to the left or support leftist ideals outright. I listed them as "Conservative" if they have an obvious slant to the right or support rightist ideals outright. I listed them as "Neutral" if either the left/right cancels each other out, or there is simply no political messages apparent. And "No idea" if I have never seen the film so cannot make a judgment.

Edited by De Oppresso Liber

brah

The Dark Knight Trilogy is Conservative..

RationalThought

That's why I said news networks, genius. ABC/CBS/NBC are NOT news networks, even though they have news programs.

So in other words, you are restricting your comparison to one FOX can win (cable news networks), rather than one where FOX gets trounced (news viewers). The fact is almost 90% of TV news viewers get their news from a source OTHER than FOX.

Yeah, if you want to listen to raunch radio, which is why he went to satellite to begin with, then, sure, Howard had the ratings, but I noticed that you didn't touch on the political radio side of it, which is what I was referring to and even gave you a huge hint when I mentioned that progressive mega network Air America, but you already knew that and opted to divert into the apples and oranges area, again.

I was going from "talk radio" rather than the more restrictive "political radio".

I absolutely agree that conservatives dominate 24/7 political radio, just as they dominate 24/7 cable news. I see the target market for both composed of essentially the same people. I think an important question is just how many people are in that target market. The same number of people who can dominate cable news and political radio become a vanishingly small minority in the larger entertainment TV/movie market.

Yeah, that Chronicles of Narnia thing really bombed out. So did The Passion of the Christ; it really did poorly. I noticed you mentioned a movie that no one really heard of (Meggido: the Omega Code II) and then claim victory. Once, again, disengenuous.

I've already admitted the success of Passion.

You are right, Narnia DID bomb out. The first one did well enough, the second barely had box office over production cost when overseas revenues are included. At that point, Disney pulled the plug on the series and FOX picked up Disney's sloppy seconds with Dawn Trader, which performed even worse than Prince Caspian, worldwide box office falling short of production cost by ~$30 million. If Narnia were actually a success, right now we would be talking about either the Magician's Nephew or the Silver Chair in post-production with initial trailers, rather than both movies at the scripting stage in search of the $150-$200 million dollars needed to produce it.

I've asked YOU to list some overtly conservative movies that have been huge mainstream successes and all you've done is keep pounding on the Passion. At least ODL was able to add Saving Private Ryan. I've added Braveheart (I would not consider United 93 a huge mainstream success). We've got 3, can you add some to the list, or not?

RationalThought

RationalThought

You think Walking Dead is inherently leftist?

Maybe slightly, but not hardcore either direction.

I was offering Walking Dead and its 13 million viewers as a standard for and example of "mainstream success".

RationalThought

De Oppresso Liber

Maybe slightly, but not hardcore either direction.

I was offering Walking Dead and its 13 million viewers as a standard for and example of "mainstream success".

RationalThought

Gotcha. Though I would say it tends the other way...

stick

This is one of the most ridiculous debates/discussions pissing contests I've seen on this board.

Thread off topic: success. Well done, RT, and in relatively few posts to boot. <_<

Joe the Pagan

GLENN BECK MAKES A VERY EXCITING OFFER TO THE CAST OF ‘DUCK DYNASTY’

Dec. 19, 2013 12:01pm Erica Ritz

“Duck Dynasty on TheBlaze” has a nice ring to it, according to Glenn Beck.

One day after Phil Robertson’s comments about homosexuality earned him an indefinite suspension from the hit series “Duck Dynasty” on A&E, Beck offered the entire Robertson family a place on his own network.

“[All the other networks] will fold to pressure,” he said. “They will all fold to sponsors. They will all fold to money because they are all in over their eyeballs are debt … the only reason why Phil was put on hiatus and not the rest is because it is a money-printing machine.”

Beck said as he sees it, the Robertson family has a choice to make.

“If I am in the Robertson family, I sit down with my family and say, ‘Is this the way we’re going to [let] him be treated? Is this who we are? Are we going to [be] quiet because he has an opinion about the scriptures?’”

Link

De Oppresso Liber

This is one of the most ridiculous debates/discussions pissing contests I've seen on this board.

Thread off topic: success. Well done, RT, and in relatively few posts to boot. <_<

You are right. It is off topic. Apologies for my part in it.

satellite66

CBS leftist

NBC leftist

ABC leftist

CNN leftist

MSNBC communist

PBS leftist

CNBC leftist

Fox neutral

This has more to do with the Duck Dynasty issue than what Phil said. Without the negative coverage by the leftist's networks it would be a non story.

RationalThought
I listed them as "Leftist" if they have an obvious slant to the left or support leftist ideals outright. I listed them as "Conservative" if they have an obvious slant to the right or support rightist ideals outright. I listed them as "Neutral" if either the left/right cancels each other out, or there is simply no political messages apparent. And "No idea" if I have never seen the film so cannot make a judgment.

And I would say the opposite. Iron Man works with the US military and fights against terrorists. Hardly a leftist position.

I see we are using very different analysis techniques.

To me, the way to analyze a movie along these lines is first identify the protagonist(s) and antagonist(s). What actions and ideals do each espouse? Which actions lead to success and which to failure? Next, what is the philosophical bent of the milieu in which the story happens?

Applying this to Iron Man, for example: Stark (protagonist) and Stane (antagonist) start from a similar position as capitalist arms dealing warmongers (all of which tend to be more conservative positions and occupations than liberal). Stane sees Stark as detrimental to being a better capitalist, a better arms dealer, and a better warmonger, therefore Stark must be removed. Stane fails and a "new" Stark returns from his ordeal determined to change his company as he himself has changed. The protagonist's actions result in stock value plummeting (anti-capitalist) through stopping weapon manufacturing (anti-national defense and anti-government). Stark has effectively turned his back on the conservative ideals under which he was operating his company and embarked on a liberal path. Stane, OTOH, continues to embrace conservative positions. He has Stark removed from control of the company through capitalist methods for capitalist reasons. He subverts Stark's efforts to put the company on a more liberal "green" path by taking those creations and continuing weapon development with them. The ultimate showdown is between the new liberal Stark and the conservative Stane, with the liberal victorious over the conservative.

That a good start explaining why I see Iron Man as a liberal movie?

RationalThought

JerryL

Ultimately it comes down to dollars, as does everything in the corporate world.

In the case of A&E, it's about advertising dollars, not just during the Duck Dynasty (DD) show, but for the network 24/7. The challenge for A&E executives, as for all other corporate businesses, is to maximize revenue and minimize cost. Cost is one reason why DD and other reality TV shows get produced, they are dirt cheap to create. On the revenue side, a popular innocuous DD is a huge plus for A&E, but a DD mired in controversy and losing advertising dollars for A&E on OTHER shows on the network quickly becomes a liability and a drain on A&E's bottom line.

If conservatives want to impact the entertainment industry, the best way to do so is through advertising dollars. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

RationalThought

Again, no argument. I agree with you and I also agree that those calling "infringement of free speech", etc., are dead wrong. The only thing I think we differ on is that I hope this business decision ends up costing them and their advertisers a metric butt ton of revenue and I don't think you really care either way, which is cool with me, too.

stick

You are right. It is off topic. Apologies for my part in it.

Just an observation. I'm not a mod but it just seemed a pointless discussion, albeit interesting...carry on.

:)