To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Floridamom

Phil Robertson suspended from Duck Dynasty 'indefinitely'

Rate this topic

RationalThought

Again, no argument. I agree with you and I also agree that those calling "infringement of free speech", etc., are dead wrong. The only thing I think we differ on is that I hope this business decision ends up costing them and their advertisers a metric butt ton of revenue and I don't think you really care either way, which is cool with me, too.

We're on a roll. :D

You are spot on that I don't really care either way. I honestly can't remember the last time I wished harm on anyone else, that's just not how I am.

I see it as no different than Trinity Broadcast Network indefinitely suspending someone for supporting abortion on demand and gay marriage in a magazine interview. That person would have stepped out of line from what is expected from Trinity and should no longer expect employment by them.

RationalThought

Unicron3

1 Avatar $2,782,275,172 2009 [# 1] (Leftist)

2 Titanic $2,186,772,302 1997 [# 2] (Neutral)

3 Marvel's The Avengers $1,518,594,910 2012 [# 3] (Conservative)

4 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 $1,341,511,219 2011 [# 4] (neutral)

5 Iron Man 3 $1,215,439,994 2013 [# 5] (Conservative)

6 Transformers: Dark of the Moon $1,123,746,996 2011 [# 6] (Conservative)

7 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119,929,521 2003 [# 7] (Conservative)

8 Skyfall $1,108,561,013 2012 [# 8] (Conservative)

9 The Dark Knight Rises $1,084,439,099 2012 [# 9] (Conservative)

10 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725 2006 [# 10] (Neutral)

11 Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 2010 [# 11] (Conservative)

12 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $1,043,871,802 2011 [# 12] (Neutral)

13 Jurassic Park $1,029,153,882 1993 [# 13] )(Conservative)

14 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace $1,027,044,677 1999 [# 14] (Conservative)

15 Alice in Wonderland $1,024,299,904 2010 [# 15] (Neutral)

16 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey $1,017,003,568 2012 [# 16] (Conservative)

17 The Dark Knight $1,004,558,444 2008 [# 17] (Conservative)

18 The Lion King $987,483,777 1994 [# 18] (Conservative)

19 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone $974,755,371 2001 [# 19] (Neutral)

20 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End $963,420,425 2007 [# 20] (Neutral)

21 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 $960,283,305 2010 [# 21] (Neutral)

22 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix $939,885,929 2007 [# 22] (Neutral)

23 Finding Nemo $936,743,261 2003 [# 23] (Conservative)

24 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince $934,416,487 2009 [# 24] (Neutral)

25 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers $926,047,111 2002 [# 25] (Conservative)

26 Shrek 2 $919,838,758 2004 [# 26] (Neutral)

27 Despicable Me 2 film currently playing $918,612,050 2013 [# 27] (No idea)

28 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire $896,911,078 2005 [# 28] (Neutral)

29 Spider-Man 3 $890,871,626 2007 [# 29] (Conservative)

30 Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs $886,686,817 2009 [# 30] (Conservative)

31 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets $878,979,634 2002 [# 31] (Neutral)

32 Ice Age: Continental Drift $877,244,782 2012 [# 32] (Conservative)

33 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring $871,530,324 2001 [# 33] (Conservative)

34 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith $848,754,768 2005 [# 34] (Conservative)

35 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen $836,303,693 2009 [# 35] (Conservative)

36 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 $829,685,377 2012 [# 36] (No idea)

37 Inception $825,532,764 2010 [# 37] (No idea)

38 Spider-Man $821,708,551 2002 [# 38] (Conservative)

39 Independence Day $817,400,891 1996 [# 39] (Conservative)

40 Shrek the Third $798,958,162 2007 [# 40] (Conservative)

41 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban $796,688,549 2004 [# 41] (Neutral)

42 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $792,910,554 1982 [# 42] (Neutral)

43 Fast & Furious 6 $788,679,850 2013 [# 43] (No idea)

44 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull $786,636,033 2008 [# 44] (No idea)

45 Spider-Man 2 $783,766,341 2004 [# 45] (Conservative)

46 Star Wars $775,398,007 1977 [# 46] (Conservative)

47 2012 $769,679,473 2009 [# 47] (Leftist)

48 The Da Vinci Code $758,239,851 2006 [# 48] (Leftist)

49 Shrek Forever After $752,600,867 2010 [# 49] (Conservative)

50 The Amazing Spider-Man $752,216,557 2012 [# 50] (Neutral)

I have listed the top 50 in my opinion. Please feel free to ask me why I see any of them the way I do.

Edited to add:

I listed them as "Leftist" if they have an obvious slant to the left or support leftist ideals outright. I listed them as "Conservative" if they have an obvious slant to the right or support rightist ideals outright. I listed them as "Neutral" if either the left/right cancels each other out, or there is simply no political messages apparent. And "No idea" if I have never seen the film so cannot make a judgment.

What despresses me the most from this list is that 2012 made 770 million dollars. The guy literally drives away from an Earth that is cracking apart. It's like when they ran away from the cold in The Crap After Tomorrow.

Buckwheat Jones

The irony of this is hilarious.

"We're Gay! Accept us! Tolerate us! Love us!"

(wait a minute...the Duck Dynasty guy says we're a pack of sinners?)

"Put a muzzle on him! Fire him! Shut him up! There's no room for him in Diversity World!"

Severian

What despresses me the most from this list is that 2012 made 770 million dollars. The guy literally drives away from an Earth that is cracking apart. It's like when they ran away from the cold in The Crap After Tomorrow.

I will say one thing though, when the world ends I want to be driving a Lincoln Town Car! To hell with Hummers!

rocketraccoon

The irony of this is hilarious.

"We're Gay! Accept us! Tolerate us! Love us!"

(wait a minute...the Duck Dynasty guy says we're a pack of sinners?)

"Put a muzzle on him! Fire him! Shut him up! There's no room for him in Diversity World!"

I know, right? This guy implies that man-on-man love isn't normal--in essence is offensive. A&E basically fires him. GLADD and the rest of the gay mafia get their underwear in a bunch and use it as an excuse to preach to everybody: "That's not how we are! We're just like everybody else! HATER! BIGOT!"

Now, go to the Bravo reality show, "Vanderpump Rules". homosexuals' diversity is glorified on the reg on that show. Just last week or whatever, they were all about some pride parade where the homoze were going out of their way to be shocking and exhibitionist: "Hey, hey, hey...look at us! We're here and we're queer! Check out my banana-warmer! YOU WILL RECOGNIZE!"

These people are sad. They really are mentally ill, in a constant state of self-loathing, seeking constant affirmation. Now this. Pathetic.

MontyPython

I guess I'm going to take this in a whole new direction, but at least it's still on the topic of "Duck Dynasty":

I can't for the life of me understand why that show is so popular. Don't misunderstand - I realize they're good honest people who espouse good wholesome American values, aren't ashamed of their Christian faith, etc. And because of that I have tried several times to watch it.

But MAN it's boring. To me, anyway.

I guess it's because I've spent my whole life around people just like that, LOL: Bearded, hairy, honest, outspoken people who don't care what anybody else thinks. Watching that show just seems to me like any night of the week sitting around my own house, or maybe at the clubhouse, talking with people just like that. The show might as well be titled "Another boring night sitting around with Monty and his friends when they have nothing interesting to do", LOL.

:shrug:

Severian

I think the show is funny, and enjoy the non PC nature of it. And the episode where they went after the beavers, Phil had a full dressed AR15 with two 30 round mags taped back to back. They flushed a beaver out of the dam into the pond, and they all turned and just unloaded on it, it sounded like a Vietnam fire fight, then they showed the lifeless corpse of the beaver floating in the pond. I could hear PETA and vegan heads exploding, it was priceless!

stick

I guess I'm going to take this in a whole new direction, but at least it's still on the topic of "Duck Dynasty":

I can't for the life of me understand why that show is so popular. Don't misunderstand - I realize they're good honest people who espouse good wholesome American values, aren't ashamed of their Christian faith, etc. And because of that I have tried several times to watch it.

I guess it's because I've spent my whole life around people just like that, LOL: Bearded, hairy, honest, outspoken people who don't care what anybody else thinks. Watching that show just seems to me like any night of the week sitting around my own house, or maybe at the clubhouse, talking with people just like that. The show might as well be titled "Another boring night sitting around with Monty and his friends when they have nothing interesting to do", LOL.

My two boys love the show and I'll watch a little of it now and then. Both of their grandfathers are passed away and I think they get some relevant grandfatherly advice on the show. And they also get to understand what a "crazy old uncle" is. :shrug:

MontyPython

I think the show is funny, and enjoy the non PC nature of it. And the episode where they went after the beavers, Phil had a full dressed AR15 with two 30 round mags taped back to back. They flushed a beaver out of the dam into the pond, and they all turned and just unloaded on it, it sounded like a Vietnam fire fight, then they showed the lifeless corpse of the beaver floating in the pond. I could hear PETA and vegan heads exploding, it was priceless!

Well I admit, that sounds entertaining, LOL. Unfortunately, every time I've tried to watch it nothing like that ever happened.

My two boys love the show and I'll watch a little of it now and then. Both of their grandfathers are passed away and I think they get some relevant grandfatherly advice on the show. And they also get to understand what a "crazy old uncle" is. :shrug:

I'm the "crazy old uncle" in my family, LOL.

:D

sunangel1776

I see we are using very different analysis techniques.

To me, the way to analyze a movie along these lines is first identify the protagonist(s) and antagonist(s). What actions and ideals do each espouse? Which actions lead to success and which to failure? Next, what is the philosophical bent of the milieu in which the story happens?

Applying this to Iron Man, for example: Stark (protagonist) and Stane (antagonist) start from a similar position as capitalist arms dealing warmongers (all of which tend to be more conservative positions and occupations than liberal). Stane sees Stark as detrimental to being a better capitalist, a better arms dealer, and a better warmonger, therefore Stark must be removed. Stane fails and a "new" Stark returns from his ordeal determined to change his company as he himself has changed. The protagonist's actions result in stock value plummeting (anti-capitalist) through stopping weapon manufacturing (anti-national defense and anti-government). Stark has effectively turned his back on the conservative ideals under which he was operating his company and embarked on a liberal path. Stane, OTOH, continues to embrace conservative positions. He has Stark removed from control of the company through capitalist methods for capitalist reasons. He subverts Stark's efforts to put the company on a more liberal "green" path by taking those creations and continuing weapon development with them. The ultimate showdown is between the new liberal Stark and the conservative Stane, with the liberal victorious over the conservative.

That a good start explaining why I see Iron Man as a liberal movie?

RationalThought

[i

One of my favorite parts from Iron Man 2

In Iron Man 2, Pepper walks into the lab to see Tony replacing a modern painting with an Obama type painting of Iron Man. She is upset and makes a remark to which Tony replies, "I am tired of this liberal agenda."

http://www.atlassociety.org/tni/iron-without-fire-within

It is Tony Stark who powers the film the way his suit would be scrap metal without his unique generator. Apart from Leonardo DiCaprio’s Howard Hughes in The Aviator, I’ve never seen a better portrayal of the proud, self-confident producer and capitalist, unashamed of his ability and without any doubts of his moral right to pursue his own course (“I’m tired of this liberal agenda” he remarks in an unselfconscious aside “I’m bored with it”).

http://moviemagg.blogspot.com/2010/10/iron-man-2-marvelparamount-2010.html

He also tells his girlfriend and confidante “Pepper” Potts (a monumentally overqualified Gwyneth Paltrow), “I’m bored with the liberal agenda now” — reflecting the mood of America as a whole in the year of the Tea Party.

Several film as well as political sites see Tony Stark moving away from a liberal to a 'John Gault' type of personality.

Floridamom

Well, A&E can go sh!t in the weeds.

I love you, Ticked. :hug:

Floridamom

For me personally, I find I identify very much with them and they remind me of home. I also think they're funny. However, that may be because I identify with them.

kommiefornia escapee

Well I admit, that sounds entertaining, LOL. Unfortunately, every time I've tried to watch it nothing like that ever happened.

I'm the "crazy old uncle" in my family, LOL.

Dammit! Monty's out of the closet again! :biglaugh:

MontyPython

For me personally, I find I identify very much with them and they remind me of home. I also think they're funny. However, that may be because I identify with them.

Well don't get me wrong - I identify with them too, because they're exactly like me and all the people I hang out with. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's at least part of the problem: I identify with them too much to be entertained. Sitting here watching that show is like sitting here watching me watching that show, LOL. How "entertained" would you be watching a show about you watching a show?

MontyPython

Dammit! Monty's out of the closet again! :biglaugh:

Aw, they said I could come out until Christmas.

Mr. E. Monkey

You think Walking Dead is inherently leftist?

Well, think about it. The zombies are leftists. They do nothing but consume without producing. They can't tolerate individuality, and demand the survivors be just like they are.

Yeah, the show is full of leftists.

WFAN

The Libs go nuts over the horrors of the Entertainment Industry blacklisting actors/directors/etc. for their political beliefs during the '50s, yet are perfectly fine with Robertson losing his acting job for his political/religious beliefs.

I could never be a Liberal. I'm just not that stupid.

JerryL

We're on a roll. :D

You are spot on that I don't really care either way. I honestly can't remember the last time I wished harm on anyone else, that's just not how I am.

I see it as no different than Trinity Broadcast Network indefinitely suspending someone for supporting abortion on demand and gay marriage in a magazine interview. That person would have stepped out of line from what is expected from Trinity and should no longer expect employment by them.

RationalThought

:thumbsup:

One final thing, it is not so much that I wish harm on anyone. I want their business model to suffer because, in accordance with my beliefs, their decision actively works to separate people from God. I don't watch A&E, so have no personal feelings one way or another about them or anyone who works there.

JerryL

Well, think about it. The zombies are leftists. They do nothing but consume without producing. They can't tolerate individuality, and demand the survivors be just like they are.

Yeah, the show is full of leftists.

Perfect!!!

Mr. E. Monkey

Perfect!!!

Yeah, but I still watch it. :)

E Van der Vliet

Yeah, but I still watch it. :)

Lol! Same here. Love the show

Btw, the incredibles was extremely conservative, and extremely successful. RT is just trying to show how smart he thinks he is, again.

That nick gage movie mentioned? A $15 million dollar nick cage movie is low budget and planned for the sell through/rental/cable market. It was not intended to make its money at the box office.

Once again RT thinks he knows everything and falls flat.

Tea Party Hooligan

So in other words, you are restricting your comparison to one FOX can win (cable news networks), rather than one where FOX gets trounced (news viewers). The fact is almost 90% of TV news viewers get their news from a source OTHER than FOX.

I was going from "talk radio" rather than the more restrictive "political radio".

I absolutely agree that conservatives dominate 24/7 political radio, just as they dominate 24/7 cable news. I see the target market for both composed of essentially the same people. I think an important question is just how many people are in that target market. The same number of people who can dominate cable news and political radio become a vanishingly small minority in the larger entertainment TV/movie market.

I've already admitted the success of Passion.

You are right, Narnia DID bomb out. The first one did well enough, the second barely had box office over production cost when overseas revenues are included. At that point, Disney pulled the plug on the series and FOX picked up Disney's sloppy seconds with Dawn Trader, which performed even worse than Prince Caspian, worldwide box office falling short of production cost by ~$30 million. If Narnia were actually a success, right now we would be talking about either the Magician's Nephew or the Silver Chair in post-production with initial trailers, rather than both movies at the scripting stage in search of the $150-$200 million dollars needed to produce it.

I've asked YOU to list some overtly conservative movies that have been huge mainstream successes and all you've done is keep pounding on the Passion. At least ODL was able to add Saving Private Ryan. I've added Braveheart (I would not consider United 93 a huge mainstream success). We've got 3, can you add some to the list, or not?

RationalThought

Ok. Since you insist: 2016: Obama's America, was in limited release of just over 1000 screens, cost $2.5 million to make and took in over $33 million.

Now shut up and get back on topic

RationalThought

:thumbsup:

One final thing, it is not so much that I wish harm on anyone. I want their business model to suffer because, in accordance with my beliefs, their decision actively works to separate people from God. I don't watch A&E, so have no personal feelings one way or another about them or anyone who works there.

Oh well, we both knew the roll was going to end at some point. :D

I don't think A&E works to separate people from God. I think that only the individual can work to separate themself from God, though all such efforts ultimately fail to the detriment of the individual. Religions, at their best, contain only approximations of God and are useful as a map. But a map should never be confused with the territory itself, and doing so with religion results in exactly what you accuse A&E of attempting, separation from God Himself. Religion is essentially a useful crutch to help people get up on their feet and start their walk with God. But for many people, that crutch eventually becomes a hindrance which limits them and their relationship with God.

But this is familiar territory for us.

Merry Christmas. May you and yours have love, peace, and joy this holiday season.

RationalThought

RationalThought

Ok. Since you insist: 2016: Obama's America, was in limited release of just over 1000 screens, cost $2.5 million to make and took in over $33 million.

Now shut up and get back on topic

You've lowered the bar so $33 million in box office is enough to be considered a huge success? I've got no issue with Passion at $600 million be considered such. Private Ryan and Braveheart (ODL and my additions) were both over $100 million. How about $100 million being the threshold?

RationalThought

RationalThought

Once again RT thinks he knows everything and falls flat.

Once again you play Carnac the Magnificent and fail miserably.

RationalThought