To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
brah

WashPost Exposes 'Daily Show' Lying Ambush (Merged)

Rate this topic

MontyPython

Filmed in New York??

If you had to guess, are you more likely to meet more pot smokers or conservatives at a John Stewart taping?

I'd guess more pot smokers.

B)

Trayned Band

Did they not know it was a comedy program in which they would look ridiculous? If they are interested enough in The Daily Show to volunteer to appear on it, surely they should already know, or be capable of informing themselves, that The Daily Show has long been critical of the idiots who defend the name of the team. There have been many segments about the issue over the last four months or so.

Why would you have sympathy for people whose cause is so lacking in logic that they cannot even explain it to some of the people it hurts?

The Daily Show did them a favour. People who defend racist epithets generally reduce the people of a racial group to an abstraction. In this segment a group of insensitive people had to actually look some native Americans in the eye and explain why redskins is not an offensive term.

Huh....

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/australia-is-most-comfortably-racist-says-daily-show-presenter-20130416-2hxg5.html

Quickbeam

There would be no story if people who defend this name were capable of sitting face to face with people hurt by the name.

The fact that they aren't speaks volumes about the merit of their position.

Taggart Transcontinental

There would be no story if people who defend this name were capable of sitting face to face with people hurt by the name.

You're right clownshoes, there would be no story if the masses complied with the demands of the insane liberals like you. There would be no conflict at all if we would all just bow down and submit to stupid ideas like yours and those in power. Right? We should all just accept the fact that we should cast off years of tradition just to appease a few morons.

Screw that.

Trayned Band

Kind of like the Australians sitting down with the Aborigines?

Oh wait....

Wyn

:rofl:

Pop quiz time, do you know what sport the Redskins play foreigner?

Hank Scorpio

Now I finally understand why American leftists are so upset about Washington REDskins. They wanted it called Washington BLUEskins. Well, too bad.

This is all such a load of bull<censored>. If I had to guess I think the Redskins owner leans conservative - much like the quarterback - and this is the entire reason for the targeting. And we conservatives stand around arguing THEIR content with THEIR rules on THEIR terms.

Isn't it time to just tell them to <censored> off? Or AT LEAST call them on it.

Hawkeyeted
Yeah, I know, making people laugh out of purely creative humor vs. mockery of others is a damned sight harder to do, so taking the easy way out will always be the first choice, right?

Precisely why I don't watch Jon Leibowitz. He's a comedy fraud, say nothing about left-wing hackery.

Howsithangin

:D

Precisely why I don't watch Jon Leibowitz. He's a comedy fraud, say nothing about left-wing hackery.

:yeahthat:

Isn't it time to just tell them to <censored> off? Or AT LEAST call them on it.

From the highest mountaintop!

Trayned Band

Lacrosse? :whistling:

MontyPython

First and foremost, of course, is that nobody anywhere is "hurt" by the word redskin.

And second, where did you ever get the silly notion that nobody's capable of discussing this point face-to-face with Indians? I had this conversation with a group of Lummi and Nooksack Indians just last month while I was camping. They were all surprised to learn that the term was coined by Indians in the first place. What's more, when I brought up the fact that team names are compliments, not insults (the reason nobody names their teams the "Cowards" or "Pussies" or "Weaklings", etc), not one of them could counter the point.

At least half of them went away with their minds changed, agreeing the whole "controversy" was stupid, contrived nonsense.

B)

Quickbeam

It isn't a compliment to invoke the myth of the "noble savage" - the idea that native Americans are brave warriors and physically strong. This kind of thinking freezes native American cultures in a particular moment of time, from a particular perspective (that of whites), and it reduces native Americans to a particular set of attributes (prowess in war).

It would be considered offensive to refer to a debating club as The Jews or a mathematics club as The Koreans or a weight watchers' club as The Americans because of the racial / national stereotypes about the skills and aptitudes of members of those social groups. It is offensive to reduce a race or ethnic group to one area of accomplishment.

For many decades now, the word "redskin" has had deeply pejorative connotations. This is reflected in dictionary definitions of the word.

Words like wog, kike, negro had relatively benign or neutral origins. These are not considered respectful, socially appropriate labels today. Redskins is the same. Guess what - language isn't static. Language changes over time. It isn't relevant what redskins meant two hundred years ago. What matters is what it means today. It is offensive.

Edited by Quickbeam

Wyn

It isn't a compliment to invoke the myth of the "noble savage" - the idea that native Americans are brave warriors and physically strong.

:lol3:

Say foreigner, when was the last time you had a conversation with an American Indian?

Ever figure out what sport the Redskins play?

MontyPython

It isn't a compliment to invoke the myth of the "noble savage" - the idea that native Americans are brave warriors and physically strong. This kind of thinking freezes native American cultures in a particular moment of time, from a particular perspective (that of whites), and it reduces native Americans to a particular set of attributes (prowess in war).

It would be considered offensive to refer to a debating club as The Jews or a mathematics club as The Koreans or a weight watchers' club as The Americans because of the racial / national stereotypes about the skills and aptitudes of members of those social groups. It is offensive to reduce a race or ethnic group to one area of accomplishment.

For many decades now, the word "redskin" has had deeply pejorative connotations. This is reflected in dictionary definitions of the word.

Words like wog, kike, negro had relatively benign or neutral origins. These are not considered respectful, socially appropriate labels today. Redskins is the same. Guess what - language isn't static. Language changes over time. It isn't relevant what redskins meant two hundred years ago. What matters is what it means today. It is offensive.

LOL

It's only as "offensive" as people want it to be. And only morons decide they want it to be "offensive".

Hey, here's a thought - I find your comments here at RN offensive. So, if you really believe people shouldn't say things that offend others, then you'll stop posting here....

.....right?

If not, then you're a HELLUVA hypocrite.

B)

Howsithangin

It isn't a compliment to invoke the myth of the "noble savage" - the idea that native Americans are brave warriors and physically strong.

Oh the humanity! To be called brave & strong! Well, you've certainly changed my mind! Can you imagine the horror, the internal torment that they must be going through! Such vile insults!

<_<

Wyn

LOL

It's only as "offensive" as people want it to be. And only morons decide they want it to be "offensive".

Hey, here's a thought - I find your comments here at RN offensive. So, if you really believe people shouldn't say things that offend others, then you'll stop posting here....

.....right?

If not, then you're a HELLUVA hypocrite.

B)

I agree Monty, his post offend me too and he needs to stop right now. I bet we're not the only ones here offended by his posts.

MontyPython

I agree Monty, his post offend me too and he needs to stop right now. I bet we're not the only ones here offended by his posts.

Yup. I'm especially offended by the leftists/progressives who've hijacked the term "liberal" and turned it into a dirty word.

I'm offended by Obama's lies, hypocrisy, racism, partisanship, cowardice, ineptitude, etc, so I can't help being equally offended by anybody stupid enough to STILL support him.

I'm offended by stupidity in general, especially the level of stupidity required to be "offended" by the term "redskin".

And so forth. And I'm confident we're not the only ones, Wyn. In fact, I'd bet my very last nickel the vast majority of posters here at RN find Quickie's posts offensive. Therefore if he had any integrity whatsoever, he'd do exactly what he demands of others and immediately stop posting here, in order to quit offending people.

But of course, he never has displayed anything resembling integrity, so I won't hold my breath.

B)

Liz

IF QUICKBEAM OR ANY OTHER POSTER OFFENDS YOU UNDULY, YOU'RE FREE TO PUT THEM ON IGNORE AND DISREGARD THEIR COMMENTS. MEANWHILE STOP DERAILING THE THREAD.

Genghs Shan

If there was a team in Indiana called the Hoosiers, Shaun here would likely pitch a fit about it.

On topic, if there was a large number of Native Americans unhappy with the name, then it would be very much worth looking into. However, it's not. It's a bunch of whiny liberals. But why stop at the team name? In Warcraft, one of the races (Tauren) is heavily based on Native American culture. Yes despite the millions of people who play the game, including Native Americans themselves, not one person has complained.

Edited by Genghs Shan

MontyPython

I've got a question for those who think "redskins" is offensive and shouldn't be used as a team name (and this is for anybody who believes the term is "offensive", not just Quickbeam):

What about the Dallas Cowboys? For eight years those on the political left used the term "cowboy" frequently as a deliberate insult against President Bush. That means the very same people who are now declaring redskins to be "offensive" must believe "cowboy" to be an offensive term too. So how about it? Should the Dallas Cowboys be forced to change their name too, because "cowboy" is an insult?

Just curious.

B)

Taggart Transcontinental

Oh the humanity! To be called brave & strong! Well, you've certainly changed my mind! Can you imagine the horror, the internal torment that they must be going through! Such vile insults!

dry.gif

As opposed to drunkards and lay abouts, as some have claimed their recent history has shown them to be?

I'm offended by his marxist slant and perspective, can we send him in for reeducation?

ThePatriot

I've got a question for those who think "redskins" is offensive and shouldn't be used as a team name (and this is for anybody who believes the term is "offensive", not just Quickbeam):

What about the Dallas Cowboys? For eight years those on the political left used the term "cowboy" frequently as a deliberate insult against President Bush. That means the very same people who are now declaring redskins to be "offensive" must believe "cowboy" to be an offensive term too. So how about it? Should the Dallas Cowboys be forced to change their name too, because "cowboy" is an insult?

Just curious.

B)

Well of course the Dallas Cowboys should change their name! As you have learned, language isn't static and changes over time, so it doesn't matter what "cowboy" meant 12 years ago - what's important is what it means today. It is offensive! :rant:

gregvega

Didnt Cowboys kill Native Americans? Ban the Cowboys!

USNRETWIFE

First and foremost, of course, is that nobody anywhere is "hurt" by the word redskin.

And second, where did you ever get the silly notion that nobody's capable of discussing this point face-to-face with Indians? I had this conversation with a group of Lummi and Nooksack Indians just last month while I was camping. They were all surprised to learn that the term was coined by Indians in the first place. What's more, when I brought up the fact that team names are compliments, not insults (the reason nobody names their teams the "Cowards" or "Pussies" or "Weaklings", etc), not one of them could counter the point.

At least half of them went away with their minds changed, agreeing the whole "controversy" was stupid, contrived nonsense.

B)

My best friend is an Indian, and I say Indian because she does. I have never, in 45 years, heard her refer to herself as a Native American. Nor, for that matter, have I heard the term Native American from the many Indians who live here in our little town close to the Rosebud reservation. Anyway, she and her Indian son are Redskin fans and have no problem with the name. She believes this is a contrived controversy meant to draw attention away from real problems that the media doesn't want to cover. And who am I, a white woman, to argue with her? :whistling:

USNRETWIFE

Didnt Cowboys kill Native Americans? Ban the Cowboys!

So, if for some reason, the Cowboys played the Redskins, would they be playing cowboys and Indians?