Let's Not Talk About Islam

Rate this topic

Liz

Let's Not Talk About Islam

PJ Media

By Bruce Bawer

August 17, 2017

Excerpt:

There's an old Cole Porter tune called “Let's Not Talk about Love.” It's not one of his most delightful works, but it does fall into the ample category of Porter “list” songs. Here's an excerpt:

Let’s talk about frogs, let’s talk about toads,

Let’s try to solve the riddle why chickens cross roads,

Let’s talk about games, let’s talk about sports,

Let’s have a big debate about ladies in shorts.

And so on. And on. And on. The point soon becomes clear: let's discuss absolutely everything. Everything! With one single, solitary exception:

But let's not talk about love.

I've been thinking about Porter's song today while watching the TV coverage of the Barcelona terrorist attack. On the BBC, on Sky News, and on CNN (I live in Norway, and therefore was unable to watch the U.S. broadcast networks), reporters and newsreaders talked about the specifics of the carnage, caused by a truck whose jihadist driver deliberately steered it off the road and onto the pavement, killing at least thirteen pedestrians. The newsfolk displayed maps of Barcelona and explained in detail where La Rambla (also known as Las Ramblas), the location of the terrorist attack, is located in relation to other major spots in the city. They showed pictures of the body-strewn avenue itself, with the corpses themselves blurred out of respect for the dead.

They discussed the popularity of La Rambla as a tourist destination, and went into some detail about the nationalities of vacationers currently thronging the city. They noted that La Rambla is Barcelona's chief tourist street, essentially its counterpart to the Champs-Elysées in Paris, the Kufürstendamm in Berlin, Fifth Avenue in New York – and, perhaps most significantly, La Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, where, in July of last year, eighty-six people were killed in a similar jihadist atrocity.

They pondered the apparent lack of sophistication of this particular crime, the biographical background of the truck driver, the timeline of the atrocity, the apparent speed and weight of the truck itself, and so on. They talked about the wounded, about the degree to which they had been wounded, about how many had been sent to hospitals.

But they didn't talk about Islam. They didn't talk about jihad.

*snip*

Full Commentary

MontyPython

Of course not! You don't deliberately insult your ideological partners.

B)

Natural Selection

The Islamic Supremacists responsible for the attacks are victims of White oppression in the left's eyes. According to the Obama administration, if we would only leave them alone or give them a jobs program everything would be OK.

ThePatriot

An excellent example of one of the many things wrong with the left....

Buckwheat Jones

If you cant name it youcant fight it

Ladybird

The Islamic Supremacists responsible for the attacks are victims of White oppression in the left's eyes. According to the Obama administration, if we would only leave them alone or give them a jobs program everything would be OK.

I think that spokeswoman point was that even if we think we've killed every last one, there are still going to be more. Even if we nuke the entire Middle East, there will always be more.

firecoco

I think that spokeswoman point was that even if we think we've killed every last one, there are still going to be more. Even if we nuke the entire Middle East, there will always be more.

Even if we killed every last one???....Lets try it and see what happens

Noclevermoniker

Interesting theory. I'd like to see proof.

mjperry51

If you had an insect infestation in your home would you surrender to it? Even if you kill all the insects there will always be more. Or would you do your best to make your house so inhospitable to them they would stay away?

oki

Worked with Imperial Japan, Nazi Germany and Facist Italy. O I know I know those where organized military's and nations. Well, what's Isis? Besides that, no one seems to have a problem with our own damn Government being able to listen in on most all our calls, read our emails or watch the internet sights we go to. Wouldn't be that hard to use that data and essentially filter it to pick out Jihadi's here.

Oki

oki

If you had an insect infestation in your home would you surrender to it? Even if you kill all the insects there will always be more. Or would you do your best to make your house so inhospitable to them they would stay away?

So are you saying we use the Radical Muslim equaivalent of Mosquito Repellent? Generous amounts of pork byproducts to 'Enhance' the trip to meet Allah?

Oki

mjperry51

So are you saying we use the Radical Muslim equaivalent of Mosquito Repellent? Generous amounts of pork byproducts to 'Enhance' the trip to meet Allah?

Oki

Whatever works.

Dutch13

A great way to think about this. I think I would try to seal up every crack in my WALLS so none could sneak in. I would make sure my windows and doors all had very good screens or seals on them so no bugs could slip through, unless I decided I wanted them in.

On top of that, you give them no incentive to be in your home (clean up food spills or spoiled food so no welfare food for the bugs). The ones that did get in and were able to hide would be visited by an exterminator once a month. The ones that got in and were spotted would get sprayed or swatted.

I have been accused of giving no credit to President Trump. If he is able to secure our borders and keep new bugs from moving in, then he will have been a success.

mjperry51

A great way to think about this. I think I would try to seal up every crack in my WALLS so none could sneak in. I would make sure my windows and doors all had very good screens or seals on them so no bugs could slip through, unless I decided I wanted them in.

On top of that, you give them no incentive to be in your home (clean up food spills or spoiled food so no welfare food for the bugs). The ones that did get in and were able to hide would be visited by an exterminator once a month. The ones that got in and were spotted would get sprayed or swatted.

I have been accused of giving no credit to President Trump. If he is able to secure our borders and keep new bugs from moving in, then he will have been a success.

<OT>

Dutch, you've been a principled poster, and intellectually honest WRT President Trump. Just sayin'.

Back to the regularly scheduled program. . .

</OT>

zurg

Other than the very funny wisecracks from other posters, I'll add this just a bit more seriously: do you really not think if they started being killed in vast numbers that somewhere along the way they'd say, hey how do we make them stop this killing? What do we need to do?

If your answer is no, they wouldn't, but would go to their graves like lemmings, like Obama's trusted spokesperson said, then I think you have your answer about Islam and the value it brings to society.

Edited by zurg

mjperry51

Other than the very funny wisecracks from other posters, I'll add this just a bit more seriously: do you really not think if they started being killed in vast numbers that somewhere along the way they'd say, hey how do we make them stop this killing? What do we need to do?

If your answer is no, they wouldn't, but would go to their graves like lemmings, like Obama's trusted spokesperson said, then I think you have your answer about Islam and the value it brings to society.

For the record, I wasn't wisecracking; I was dead serious. . .

MontyPython

Yup, and it was a great analogy. When you have an infestation of any household pests (c0ckroaches, ants, rats, whatever), you don't try to "appease" them by trying to be "friendly" with them. You kill them. You kill as many as you possibly can, as often as you possibly can. EVEN WHEN YOU KNOW YOU'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO KILL THEM ALL, it doesn't matter. You keep fumigating regularly, you keep putting up roach-motels or rat-traps, etc.

One might argue "Well why not move to another house?" But that doesn't work when talking about an infestation of Muslim terrorists, because "moving the world to another location" isn't an option. Nope, we just have to keep killing them. There's simply no alternative.

B)

Noclevermoniker

I was super serial, too.

zurg

I figured that, should have said "the first couple of responses regarding wanting proof".... (admittedly, that was the first thing that came to my mind too, a morbid joke, but felt it was a bit much maybe)

mjperry51

I figured that, should have said "the first couple of responses regarding wanting proof".... (admittedly, that was the first thing that came to my mind too, a morbid joke, but felt it was a bit much maybe)

:thumbsup:

mjperry51

One might argue "Well why not move to another house?" But that doesn't work when talking about an infestation of Muslim terrorists, because "moving the world to another location" isn't an option. Nope, we just have to keep killing them. There's simply no alternative.

When everyone in the neighborhood is letting them in where do you go??

Howsithangin

Interesting theory. I'd like to see proof.

:D

MontyPython

When everyone in the neighborhood is letting them in where do you go??

Exactly.

Bookdoc

Our problem is that, with an insect infestation, you target the nest. With our current infestation, that just isn't possible and discussing it would get you condemned by society.

mjperry51

Our problem is that, with an insect infestation, you target the nest. With our current infestation, that just isn't possible and discussing it would get you condemned by society.

You still have to kill the insects that aren't in the nest to keep them from establishing new nests. And <censored> society. . .