All Dreamy About The Dream Team

Rate this topic

Liz

PowerLine

by Paul Mirengoff

Posted on August 27, 2017

Excerpt:

The Daily Beast serves up this puff piece about Robert Mueller’s “dream team.” It’s under the byline of Betsy Woodruff, but is so gushing it might as well have been written by the dream team itself.

What I found most notable about Woodruff’s piece is the disconnect between her profile of the individual dream team members and her conclusion. Nearly every team member is, according to the article, either a superstar prosecutor or a superstar appellate lawyer.

Yet Woodruff concludes that “Mueller’s top priority is likely a counterespionage operation” and that the “legal side” is “boring.” You don’t need a team of superstar prosecutors and appellate lawyers to conduct a “counterespionage operation” with boring legal issues on the side.

Based on the composition of his high-power army, I would say that Mueller’s top priority is to prosecute. And given the political and ideological leanings of his troops, there is reason to believe that the top priority will be to prosecute President Trump if any plausible criminal case can be concocted against him.

Woodruff has almost nothing to say about these political leanings. Of the many members of Mueller’s team with connections to the Democratic Party, only one — Jeannie Rhee — is identified as such. Rhee represented the Clinton Foundation.

Woodruff dismisses concern about Rhee being partisan as “laughable” based on the assurances of “those who know her.” Case closed, if you’re prepared to accept the say-so of Rhee’s friends. I’m not.

*snip*

Full Commentary

Dean Adam Smithee

PowerLine

by Paul Mirengoff

Posted on August 27, 2017

Excerpt:

The Daily Beast serves up this puff piece about Robert Mueller’s “dream team.” It’s under the byline of Betsy Woodruff...

...whom I believe is the daughter of NPR's Judy Woodruff.