Gertie Keddle

U-Md. Latino students described as ‘mediocre’ and ‘pretty bad’ in mass

Rate this topic

Gertie Keddle

U-Md. Latino students described as ‘mediocre’ and ‘pretty bad’ in mass email

Washington Post

By Ellie Silverman September 2

Excerpt:

Latino students were described as “mediocre” and “pretty bad” in an email that was accidentally sent by a professor to students registering for a mock trial class at the University of Maryland.

Mark Graber sent the missive Thursday to students in the class, inadvertently including remarks from Abigail Graber, identified by the Diamondback student newspaper as his daughter and a lawyer who volunteered as an assistant coach for the team. The university then asked the two to resign, which they did, according to an email sent to students.

When asked to comment Friday evening, Mark Graber wrote in an email to The Washington Post: “Regrets, other than to note responsibility is entirely mine.” He declined an interview request because he considered “the incident closed.”

In the email to students, Abigail Graber wrote that she had a question about diversity. While lamenting that they had “almost no Latino students on team,” she proceeded to say that the Latino students were not very qualified for the class.

“If I were to rank purely on performance, I would probably only take 1 of them. Should I take 2? All three? None have mock trial experience,” Abigail Graber wrote. “The mediocre one is extremely involved in community activism/organizing (she’s the one I would probably take no matter what, what she lacks in skill she makes up in confidence, although she may be too busy for this commitment).”

Jocelyn Nolasco, a Latina student who received the email, said she was shocked. The 20-year-old thought she was being referred to as the “mediocre one.” Mark Graber is a University System Regents Professor, a prestigious recognition, and Nolasco said she had been looking forward to his mock trial class.

But then she received the email.

“Are you serious?” she recalled thinking. “I had to read it over and over again to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing.”

Graber is a visiting professor at the University of Maryland, College Park, where this fall he was scheduled to teach Mock Trial and Topical Investigations; Mock Trial, according to the university’s class schedule.

Graber inadvertently included his daughter’s remarks at the bottom of an email notifying students they were accepted into the class. Seven minutes later, he emailed them to apologize.

<edit>

Mark Graber emailed Nolasco to apologize. Nolasco is president of the Latinx Student Union and holds a leadership position in the campus NAACP chapter.

Mark Graber wrote that he was “sick to my stomach” about the email.

“A special apology to you, because while other students could only guess their confidential assessment, yours is obvious from the context,” Mark Graber wrote. “I am sending this message to you because I sincerely hope you stay in the program (and I am happy to talk about our commitment to diversity as well). You clearly wish to be a voice for equal rights. This program is about finding that voice.”

Nolasco wasn’t persuaded. She said Graber apologized for the students seeing the email, not its content.

Monday was the first day of classes at the University of Maryland, and students returned to a campus that was fraught with racial tension last academic year. A noose was found in a fraternity house, white supremacist fliers were posted on campus and a coalition of student groups issued an extensive list of demands to the administration, calling for better representation of marginalized communities.

Laura Ours, a university spokeswoman, said associate dean Katherine Russell has reached out to students who received the email and let them know that they can discuss concerns with her and with the chairman of the Government and Politics Department.

“A new head mock trial coach will be announced shortly,” Ours said. “We are sorry for the coaching transition at the beginning of the semester.”

The university’s chief diversity officer has also “begun conversations and outreach to students and leadership within the college on the matter,” university spokeswoman Katie Lawson wrote in an email.

Article

Crabby Appleton

A pretty careless act on the part of the professor, but I suspect it represents a vast number of conversations that take place in affirmative action driven decisions. When a particular pool of applicants (for any type of position) does not contain strong candidates from certain populations, and the appearance of diversity is desired, or even required, these kinds of discussions occur. However, they are not normally inadvertently shared.

intotheblackhole

Nobody likes and honest assessment. If this were about white students it would have been no big deal.

I find most Hispanics are hard workers. I also find most Hispanics pretty ignorant about most subjects. They have no idea of the origin of their national holidays yet they celebrate them with gusto that includes lots of drinking, DUII's and protesting. Hispanics drop out of school at significantly higher rates than any other class and don't appear to value education.

And most of all they think that Hispanic is a race!!! What's up with that?

Severian

Well, goodness! We feel triggered! Off with their heads, said the Queen of Farts! Don't perform any introspection and self evaluation to see if there is any truth in it. Plato may have said "the unexamined life is not worth living" or "know thyself" depending on the translation, but what the hell, he was a old white dude who probably owned slaves, so who cares?

neocon316

. She said Graber apologized for the students seeing the email, not its content.

Good. The cat's out of the bag. No amount of fake, manufactured apology will make these mediocre students feel good anyway. She was sincere in the email. Reminds me of a former co-worker who was deep-sixed by another jealous co-worker who hated by releasing an internal memo about the performance of her staff. That's why I am my own boss now and couldn't take the the office space drama 5 days a week.

Howsithangin

That's the problem with affirmative action: you never really know whether the recipients are indeed qualified to be there or not. :shrug:

Through this travesty, unprepared individuals are placed in a setting where they are unqualified. Then when they fail, the obligatory charge of "racism". So academia then lowers the standards. Zero discussion, zero acknowledgment as to whether they should have been there in the first place. Do they honestly believe they're helping people with this?

Bookdoc

That's the problem with affirmative action: you never really know whether the recipients are indeed qualified to be there or not. :shrug:

Through this travesty, unprepared individuals are placed in a setting where they are unqualified. Then when they fail, the obligatory charge of "racism". So academia then lowers the standards. Zero discussion, zero acknowledgment as to whether they should have been there in the first place. Do they honestly believe they're helping people with this?

I doubt the libtards could care less if they are actually helping-all they are interested in this the inner glow they get when they feel some injustice has been dealt with. The trouble is that reality is unjust.

Edited by Bookdoc

Diamond369

Nobody likes and honest assessment. If this were about white students it would have been no big deal.

I find most Hispanics are hard workers. I also find most Hispanics pretty ignorant about most subjects. They have no idea of the origin of their national holidays yet they celebrate them with gusto that includes lots of drinking, DUII's and protesting. Hispanics drop out of school at significantly higher rates than any other class and don't appear to value education.

And most of all they think that Hispanic is a race!!! What's up with that?

Once upon a time, I recall that Hispanics/Latinos were often listed as white, now they are considered their own race. When did that happen?

Severian

Once upon a time, I recall that Hispanics/Latinos were often listed as white, now they are considered their own race. When did that happen?

When it became expedient for the Dems to have yet another victim group to whine about.

intotheblackhole

Since the liberal elite wanted to make them a separate class. Anything to dwindle the numbers of white males.

Ladybird

I can't see how someone like Cuban singer Celia Cruz could ever have been considered white.

Crabby Appleton

The whole idea of 'race' is fuzzy, to say the least. At different times varying numbers of 'races' have been described by various 'experts'. The classifications were sometimes considered biological (genetic), sometimes phenotypic (traits), and oftentimes political (consider Hitler's description of a super white race and an inferior Jewish race). The fact is, with intermarrying and the tendency of populations to migrate, it would be extremely difficult to identify any person with the pure traits of a particular race, even if we could concretely define what a 'race' is. Severian is right, in today's climate of identity politics, a racial definition is, often as not, a definition designed to create and foster division in order to gain politically.

Edited by Crabby Appleton

stick

I can't see how someone like Cuban singer Celia Cruz could ever have been considered white.

Is there something wrong with being considered "white" while being Hispanic? What race would you consider them to be and why does it matter?

Ladybird

Is there something wrong with being considered "white" while being Hispanic? What race would you consider them to be and why does it matter?

No. There's nothing wrong with being Afro-Cuban either.

Magic Rat

I can't see how someone like actress, Carmen Diaz could ever be considered anything but white.

Ladybird

I can't see how someone like actress, Carmen Diaz could ever be considered anything but white.

I agree. Desi Arnaz too.

Not Celia Cruz or Rosario Dawson or Zoe Saldana.

stick

No. There's nothing wrong with being Afro-Cuban either.

No one is saying there is...except people probably can't really identify with what an Afro-Cuban would be...why not say American?

I see you didn't bother answering my other question...

Magic Rat

I agree. Desi Arnaz too.

Then can we agree that the notion of Hispanic as a race was entirely invented by the left for political reasons and no other? Can we agree that most of us who want to enforce our laws against illegal immigration or to end stupid quotas are not motivated by racism?

Severian

I agree. Desi Arnaz too.

And if Lucy had an Afro-Cuban baby "Lucy! You got some splainin to do!"

oki

And to think, if it wasn't for Affirmative action those 'mediocre' students probably wouldn't be there to begin with. Maybe, JUST MAYBE those spots would be filled by non mediocre students of what ever color INCLUDING LATINO.

Oki

Ladybird

And if Lucy had an Afro-Cuban baby "Lucy! You got some splainin to do!"

"Who's this kinky so and so?"

Yes, that would have made for some fun episodes.

oki

"Who's this kinky so and so?"

Yes, that would have made for some fun episodes.

After watching some of those old classics, I am really surprised there wasn't at least an out take/blooper of Ricky coming home and yelling "Luceee.... I'm Hornee...." Granted that would never in a million years have made the air waves at that time, but damn that would have had the case and crew laughing and made for a classic blooper/out take.

Oki

Ladybird

Maybe there was a language or accent barrier with the Latino students. These were mock trials the students participated in? I've worked with a few engineers and programmers, from various Latin American countries, who were very smart (brilliant even), but didn't always communicate as clearly as American born ones. Even someone with a good grasp of the English language, can sometimes miscommunicate what was intended.

oki

Maybe there was a language or accent barrier with the Latino students. These were mock trials the students participated in? I've worked with a few engineers and programmers, from various Latin American countries, who were very smart (brilliant even), but didn't always communicate as clearly as American born ones. Even someone with a good grasp of the English language, can sometimes miscommunicate what was intended.

And that is a huge issue which must be overcome to be effective and more then mediocre. To put it simply, imagine if you had an Engineer who designed the fastest car ever made. He (or she) speaks absolutely zero English. The person came to this country seeking employment because the hyper car company they worked for went out of business and they thought they'd have an easy time finding a job here working for a car company doing the exact same thing at the same or higher pay. Not gonna' happen.

Not only do you need to understand and be good with the subject matter, you need to be good and capable of communicating. Knowledge means nothing without the ability to both convey and explain it in detail.

Oki