NYT bestseller list takes a huge blow as major publisher pulls out

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

NYT bestseller list takes a huge blow as major publisher pulls out

http://www.americanthinker.com

By Thomas Lifson

September 6, 2017

Article:

Another pillar of the left's ability to dominate American culture is getting shaky.

For generations, stickers with the four little words "New York Times bestseller," applied to the cover of a book were regarded as gold. In my decades of flying around as a consultant, many were the occasions when they helped me pick one or another last-minute pre-boarding book (perhaps some mind candy from the mysteries section for a long flight, I confess).

The Times remains mysterious about the methodology behind its list, raising legitimate suspicions. Nonetheless, the value of the brand has been enormous. The publishing industry has ratified that value by sometimes including bonus payments, a bump in the royalty percentage, perhaps, into contracts with authors. This arrangement opened the door to outsized influence on the mentality of authors and publishers. If pleasing the mindset of those who compile the list is rewarded, authors, agents, and publishers would repeat the behavior that gets reinforced, like lab rats pushing the levers to get those pellets.

200507_5_.png

Now, this last vestige of the former power and glory of the New York Times is starting to crumble. Cheryl K. Chumley writes an opinion piece for the Washington Times:

Regnery, the nation's premier publisher of conservative books, has cut ties with The New York Times over long-simmering allegations the newspaper took a decided left-leaning slant in picking which books to feature on its best-seller lists.

Good for Regnery. It's like the toppling off ABC, NBC and CBS during the dawn of CNN and FOX – only Part 2.

Going forward, Regnery will rely on Publishers Weekly lists to determine best-seller status, and will no longer allow authors to self-identify with The New York Times list, or distribute bonuses based on the newspaper's determinations.

"Increasingly, it appears that the Times has gathered book sale data in a manner which prioritizes liberal-themed books over conservative books and authors," Regnery President Marji Ross said in a company press release. ...

Regnery alleges its recent book, "The Big Lie: Exposing the Nazi Roots of the American Left," a Dinesh D'Souza title that was published in late July, made The New York Times best-seller list at No. 7 – despite beating all 15 books on the list in total sales. And the company's "No Go Zones: How Sharia Law is Coming to a Neighborhood Near You," by Raheen Kassam, didn't even place on The New York Times list, despite having the 10th highest sales of the other 15 books noted by the paper.

Full Story

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

You know how Comey exonerated Hillary before the investigation was finished?

Well, I heard that Hillary's book ("What the heck happened?") was put on the New York Times Bestseller's List at #1 before it was even printed.

Edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D)

oki

Well, I heard that Hillary's book ("What the heck happened?" was put on the New York Times Bestseller's List at #1 before it was even printed.

If the left is supposed to be the party of science, reason and logic why in the hell do they like lying so much about numbers?

Oki

Severian

If the left is supposed to be the party of science, reason and logic why in the hell do they like lying so much about numbers?

Oki

We need a communist mathematician to explain it to us... :rolleyes:

Dean Adam Smithee

Going forward, Regnery will rely on Publishers Weekly lists to determine best-seller status, and will no longer allow authors to self-identify with The New York Times list, or distribute bonuses based on the newspaper's determinations.

If Regenery want to stop using the NYT list themselves, that's their business. Who cares? I don't think I have EVER bought a book based on the NYT list?

But... to prohibit the authors from identifying with the list? That's a bridge too far for me. Enough to make me wonder if there's "more to the story". And I wonder if that "more to the story" has to do with the number of lawsuits in recent years against Regnery by people like Jerome Corsi et al claiming Regnery misrepresented sales figures so as to underpay them. Take the NYT list out of the equation and it obscures the sales figures even further.

Yes, NYT is the devil. That doesn't automatically make Regnery an angel.

EtA: From 2008: Five conservative authors suing Regnery in royalties dispute

Edited by Dean Adam Smithee

firecoco

Well, I heard that Hillary's book ("What the heck happened?" was put on the New York Times Bestseller's List at #1 before it was even printed.

0f07591f8881bfcb425e6613ff138f7c4a3dab96ff4efe8b.jpg

Magic Rat
For generations, stickers with the four little words "New York Times bestseller," applied to the cover of a book were regarded as gold. In my decades of flying around as a consultant, many were the occasions when they helped me pick one or another last-minute pre-boarding book (perhaps some mind candy from the mysteries section for a long flight, I confess).

Pretentious douchebag. The kind of insufferable jerk who boasts about not having a TV.

USNRETWIFE

List or no list, I read D'Souza's book and loved it.

Hieronymous

Pretentious douchebag. The kind of insufferable jerk who boasts about not having a TV.

Yet somehow is familiar with prime time lineups