RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cranklin

Enrollment drops at schools known for ‘social justice warfare’

Rate this topic

Ben Cranklin

Enrollment drops at schools known for ‘social justice warfare’

By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times - Thursday, September 14, 2017

Universities known for being hotbeds of campus protest and liberal activism are struggling with declining enrollments and budget shortfalls, and higher education analysts say that’s no coincidence.

Take Oberlin College. According to a document leaked to The Oberlin Review, the school’s student newspaper, the small liberal arts college famous for social justice hoaxes has had trouble attracting and retaining students, missing this year’s enrollment mark by 80 and racking up a $5 million budget deficit in the process.

William A. Jacobson, a professor at Cornell Law School who runs the Legal Insurrection blog, said the “most obvious culprit” in Oberlin’s dwindling admissions is “relentless social justice warfare.”

“Social justice warfare at Oberlin has been more intense and sustained over a longer period of time than at most schools, and has come to define Oberlin in the media,” Mr. Jacobson said. “The resulting mockery and derision, even in liberal publications, has damaged the Oberlin brand.”

Surveys support the notion that, in the era of Trump, conservatives have become more skeptical about the value of a college degree.

The polarizing presidential election was felt in the dip in applicants at some top-tier colleges such as Ohio’s Kenyon College.

“This is a year in which you were vulnerable if you were a small liberal arts college in a rural red state and you attract a significant portion of your student body from the East Coast or West Coast, which would certainly be the case with Kenyon,” Diane Anci, Kenyon’s vice president of enrollment and dean of admissions and financial aid, told the Ohio school’s Kenyon Collegian newspaper.

A study published by the Washington-based Pew Research Center in July found that just 36 percent of Republicans believe colleges and universities have a positive effect on the country, down from 54 percent two years ago.

Gallup released a poll in August that found just 33 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning respondents had a “great deal or quite a lot of confidence in higher education.” Sixty-seven percent said they have “some or very little” confidence in academia.

High school counselors report that, in the past few years, parents have been more likely to express concern about sending their children to schools with progressive reputations.

“Many won’t consider Oberlin or Wesleyan, and Brown is completely off the table,” one counselor told Inside Higher Education in June.

The problem may be especially pronounced among the nation’s heartland. Inside Higher Education reports that several prestigious, small liberal arts colleges in the Midwest have missed their enrollment marks this year...

More

:lol:

Here's some valuable "liberal arts education," since apparently it's getting in shorter and shorter supply...

scha·den·freu·de

/ˈSHädənˌfroidə/

noun

noun: Schadenfreude; noun: schadenfreude

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

neocon316

I took a quick look at their curriculum offered and some majors. They have African American studies, separate from Africana' studies (WTF?). I'm almost sure to say their mandatory courses in their frosh year has some stupid course in social justice or similar crap.

gravelrash

I took a quick look at their curriculum offered and some majors. They have African American studies, separate from Africana' studies (WTF?). I'm almost sure to say their mandatory courses in their frosh year has some stupid course in social justice or similar crap.

I was a French major in college. My counselor said that I had to take cultural diversity courses. I asked him why as an American studying French language, culture, and history my classes did not qualify as "cultural diversity", he admitted that "cultural diversity" was code for non-white.