To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Liz

Parents Get Angry After Actress Teaches Students About The Constitutio

Rate this topic

corporal_little

But when a handful of loudmouthed parents complain about a teacher acknowledging one transgendered child, that's a mandate.

Who said it was? Certainly not me.

zurg

But when a handful of loudmouthed parents complain about a teacher acknowledging one transgendered child, that's a mandate.

Why are you suddenly changing the topic?

JerryL

No one is stopping her from speaking. She can speak to whomever chooses voluntarily to listen to her. If a spokesperson for People for the American Way came to your childs public school, and advocated for legislation, would you have any objection?

YOU asked in YOUR first post why she was asked to speak in the first place. So, you were NOT implying that you don't think she should have been allowed to speak on the Constitution at the school?

The rest of your false equivalency has already been addressed by others.

Noclevermoniker

Why are you suddenly changing the topic?

Because......Confederate statues!

Ladybird

YOU asked in YOUR first post why she was asked to speak in the first place. So, you were NOT implying that you don't think she should have been allowed to speak on the Constitution at the school?

The rest of your false equivalency has already been addressed by others.

I implied no such thing. I just asked, why her?

I also asked if anyone would have a problem with a spokesperson from People for the American Way speaking at your 5th graders school and handing out a petition?

scotsman

I think Ladybird's point is this:

that we rail against lefty celebs who spout their half baked nonsense, yet there seems to be a selective and blinkered response to some celebs because they are on 'our side' and are 'one of us'. If we are to be consistent about celebs, then we should believe that NO celeb should be dealing in anything public re politics. Right or left or even centrist.

But the Constitution isn't political, I hear you cry. Its simply a historical document. It is and its silly to try and suggest it isn't. It didn't come from and does not exist in a vacuum.

Edited by scotsman

ASE

"Others questioned Turner’s qualifications for educating students about the Constitution, noting it is a complicated document that legal scholars and lawyers often struggle to understand and apply to legislation and policy."

It is NOT a complicated document, however, if you are trying to hoodwink people into thinking it says something it really DOES NOT say in order to change how it is interpreted, you might claim that it is really complicated and that YOU have the answer to what they, the founders, really meant (since only an ultra arrogant elitist snob, so much better than the 'hoi polloi', and therefore imminently qualified to tell the 'little people' what is best for them if only they weren't so stupid as to realize it). Then you come up with your own version of what you are trying to convince people that it really meant - despite what it says in relatively plain language - and which just so happens to fit in with your particular political agenda. <_<

Edited by ASE

LongKnife

I think Ladybird's point is this:

that we rail against lefty celebs who spout their half baked nonsense, yet there seems to be a selective and blinkered response to some celebs because they are on 'our side' and are 'one of us'. If we are to be consistent about celebs, then we should believe that NO celeb should be dealing in anything public re politics. Right or left or even centrist.

But the Constitution isn't political, I hear you cry. Its simply a historical document. It is and its silly to try and suggest it isn't. It didn't come from and does not exist in a vacuum.

No, as you say, we rail against them spouting half-baked nonsense. It is not about them being celebrities. Being a celebrity doesn't invalidate your ideas, your ideas are invalidated when they are based on nonsense. Ladybird asked why "this actress" was chosen to speak about the Constitution as if being an actress brings into question one's qualifications to speak on the subject.

To suggest that we should believe that no celebrity should be speaking about any political ideas is ridiculous. Some of them actually are quite knowledgeable on the things they talk about. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Ladybird

No, as you say, we rail against them spouting half-baked nonsense. It is not about them being celebrities. Being a celebrity doesn't invalidate your ideas, your ideas are invalidated when they are based on nonsense. Ladybird asked why "this actress" was chosen to speak about the Constitution as if being an actress brings into question one's qualifications to speak on the subject.

To suggest that we should believe that no celebrity should be speaking about any political ideas is ridiculous. Some of them actually are quite knowledgeable on the things they talk about. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Alec Baldwin is on the board of directors for People for the American Way. Would you raise objections to his speaking at your childs school and handing out materials with a petition? Oh and may I add, without your prior knowledge..

Edited by Ladybird

Alexis

No, they start in kindergarten encouraging same sex experimentation, masturbation and wait until first and second grade to bring up gender identification and other issues that are so thoroughly age appropriate... <_<

:hairpull: :yeahthat:

LongKnife

Alec Baldwin is on the board of directors for People for the American Way. Would you raise objections to his speaking at your childs school and handing out materials with a petition? Oh and may I add, without your prior knowledge..

People for the American Way has a clear-cut political agenda. They are dedicated to fighting "right-wing extremism" and promoting "progressive" goals and candidates. Apparently, they are OK with left-wing extremism.

Compare their website to that of Constituting America and you'll know my answer to your question.

stick

Would you?

Dean Adam Smithee

Funny how these people believe a Constitution that was written by common men for common men cannot be explained by the common man. We need "scholars" who will tell us what to think. Sorry that is wrong. The Constitution is plain and simple, it guarantees us rights that were given to us by the creator. Those rights cannot be seized by the government and destroyed on a whim. ANY common person can understand these truths.

And so can a 5th grader.

Because the left wants to turn everything into a religion... except, of course, religion itself. And then they want to anoint themselves the 'pope' of that religion and control the dogma. This holds true on everything from climate science to evolution to education.

And, of course, burn any heretics at the stake.

MontyPython

Even though I see LongKnife has beat me to it, I'll say it anyway:

Yes, I'd object. Alec Baldwin has proven himself on countless occasions to be a shameless, mindless partisan who won't hesitate for a minute to resort to outright lies and slander if it will advance his "progressive" agenda.

Can you provide a few examples where Janine Turner has demonstrated the same character flaws?

B)

Edited by MontyPython

Ladybird

Would you?

I would want to be informed first and have the choice to opt out.

LongKnife

Of course you would, but that is not what you asked.

stick

That wasn't the question you asked. :tap:

stick

I really love how people who don't have kids think they know how they will react to something relating to having kids. Ever see those "first kid" vs "second kid" parent behaviors? Same parents reacting 180 degrees differently from kid to kid.

Yeah, I thought I had an intelligent opinion about kids and parenting before I was a father too. But then I realized I was an idiot and judging parents from the perspective of ignorance was on me and probably not a good thing.

Ladybird

I really love how people who don't have kids think they know how they will react to something relating to having kids. Ever see those "first kid" vs "second kid" parent behaviors? Same parents reacting 180 degrees differently from kid to kid.

Yeah, I thought I had an intelligent opinion about kids and parenting before I was a father too. But then I realized I was an idiot and judging parents from the perspective of ignorance was on me and probably not a good thing.

Parents wishing to make an informed choice about what will be taught to their children makes them idiots?

corporal_little

Parents wishing to make an informed choice about what will be taught to their children makes them idiots?

You got that from what he wrote? Seriously?

He said, he was an idiot when he wasn't a father, but was judging people who were parents on parenting.

Dean Adam Smithee

Having BEEN a kid of such parents, I'd rather have wished I WOULDN'T have had such parents.

5th or 6th grade. Dinner-table conversation. Mentioned that the english teacher discussed an Elton John lyric. Might've been "Madman across the water" Can't recall.

Oh, lord. Fire and Brimstone. (step)mom actually led a protest at the schoolboard. OMG! Elton John is "Rock" and if you listen to rock then the next thing is that girls start taking their clothes off and dancing around (Dare I even say the word?) (Shhh!, whispering) Naked.

Tea Party Hooligan

No one is stopping her from speaking. She can speak to whomever chooses voluntarily to listen to her. If a spokesperson for People for the American Way came to your childs public school, and advocated for legislation, would you have any objection?

Who says they haven't?

zurg

What did you score on SAT English reading comprehension?

De Oppresso Liber

I am cool with that. How far are you willing to go, though?

Should parents have the option to opt out if it is about Islam? Religion in general? Sex ed? Homosexuality? Transgender topics?

How about if they just feel the teacher is too politically biased?

Ladybird

I am cool with that. How far are you willing to go, though?

Should parents have the option to opt out if it is about Islam? Religion in general? Sex ed? Homosexuality? Transgender topics?

How about if they just feel the teacher is too politically biased?

They already have the option of to opt out of sex ed. Those other topics would go along with it, unless the class was political in nature.

Islam? If a kid has a comparative religion section of social studies or was about history then no, he shouldn't be able to only learn about them selectively.

A bible or Koran study class? If it is taught in public school, it should be an elective.