To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
catpat

Now friendships are on busybody schools' hit list - can they leave

Rate this topic

catpat

Now friendships are on busybody schools' hit list - can they leave NOTHING alone?

Penny Young Nance

Fox News

Excerpt

Do you remember your first best friends? One of mine walked up to me on the first day of second grade at a new school and asked me, the new girl, “to be her friend.” Relief flooded my little body, and the lesson in kindness never left my heart. Unfortunately, some schools in the U.K., and even here in the United States, are robbing kids of those deep friendships that teach them empathy, character and, yes, even heartbreak.

Why? To ensure that these kids will not have to deal with the normal evolution of relationships, which include the risk of getting hurt. One summer camp in New York physically separated children who seemed to be getting too close to one another as friends, putting them at opposite ends of the dining table or making sure they never had the same activity together.

Contrary to helping children deal with the inevitable rejection in elementary and middle school years, these schools may be contributing to an unhealthy, less stable adulthood.

Kids today are already forced to work twice as hard to learn social awareness, because the pervasiveness of social media that inundates their little lives is slowly replacing the need for direct social contact. Healthy human maturation requires those fragile bonds of friendship early in life; it is the first step to a healthy understanding of self and relationships.

This is not to say that every kid will have a large group of friends, but all parents wish at least one close friend for their child. How sad to learn even that is being intercepted. Enforcing some kind of non-BFF standard in schools is ridiculous and hurts less social and overtly social children alike.

Are some limits acceptable? Absolutely. Not allowing party invitations to be handed out in elementary school classes unless everyone is invited is just decent manners.

More here.

No, it doesn't appear that they can leave anything alone. I am glad, as are my children, I homeschooled. This is nuts.

Edited by catpat

Oathtaker

Now friendships are on busybody schools' hit list - can they leave NOTHING alone?

Penny Young Nance

Fox News

Excerpt

Do you remember your first best friends? One of mine walked up to me on the first day of second grade at a new school and asked me, the new girl, “to be her friend.” Relief flooded my little body, and the lesson in kindness never left my heart. Unfortunately, some schools in the U.K., and even here in the United States, are robbing kids of those deep friendships that teach them empathy, character and, yes, even heartbreak.

Why? To ensure that these kids will not have to deal with the normal evolution of relationships, which include the risk of getting hurt. One summer camp in New York physically separated children who seemed to be getting too close to one another as friends, putting them at opposite ends of the dining table or making sure they never had the same activity together.

Contrary to helping children deal with the inevitable rejection in elementary and middle school years, these schools may be contributing to an unhealthy, less stable adulthood.

Kids today are already forced to work twice as hard to learn social awareness, because the pervasiveness of social media that inundates their little lives is slowly replacing the need for direct social contact. Healthy human maturation requires those fragile bonds of friendship early in life; it is the first step to a healthy understanding of self and relationships.

This is not to say that every kid will have a large group of friends, but all parents wish at least one close friend for their child. How sad to learn even that is being intercepted. Enforcing some kind of non-BFF standard in schools is ridiculous and hurts less social and overtly social children alike.

Are some limits acceptable? Absolutely. Not allowing party invitations to be handed out in elementary school classes unless everyone is invited is just decent manners.

More here.

No, it doesn't appear that they can leave anything alone. I am glad, as are my children, I homeschooled. This is nuts.

This is weird.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Taggart Transcontinental

This crap is right out of Brave New World or 1984. Your community monitors your activities very closely and if you appear to be building a bond with someone they remove that bond immediately.

Howsithangin

The State is to be your parent, your provider, your BFF

As previously noted, straight out of Orwell

Ben Cranklin

This crap is right out of Brave New World or 1984. Your community monitors your activities very closely and if you appear to be building a bond with someone they remove that bond immediately.

Yes, and in the case of isolating people's children, maybe Animal Farm...

What is the reason Napoleon took Jessie and Bluebell's puppies in Animal Farm?

Napoleon takes the puppies away from Jessie and Bluebell as soon as they are weaned because he wants to use them as a private security force.

Napoleon tells the mothers that his taking them is an advantage.

As soon as they were weaned, Napoleon took them away from their mothers, saying that he would make himself responsible for their education. (Ch 3)

When Napoleon takes no interest in Snowball’s committees, and says “the education of the young was more important than anything that could be done for those who were already grown up” (ch 3), he is really cementing himself in a position of power.

This early on, Napoleon is already takes steps to make sure he and not Snowball is in charge. When it is time to drive Snowball out, the puppies re-appear as “nine enormous dogs” and run straight for him (ch 5). They are “as fierce-looking as wolves” and keep close to Napoleon. He later uses them to tear out the throats of animals he says are traitors.

Link

Natural Selection

From kindergarten through high school I never shared a single class with my best friend who lived across the street from me. I just assumed the people who arranged such things did it because they thought it would be distracting or disruptive.

LSJ

Stop coddling kids!

DJGoody