Media Give Trump Most Negative Presidential Coverage in 25 Years

Rate this topic

Ben Cranklin

Media Give Trump Most Negative Presidential Coverage in 25 Years

Only 5 percent of news reports are positive, according to Pew Research Center

By Jasper Fakkert

October 6, 2017 11:05 am Last Updated: October 6, 2017 11:38 am

www.theepochtimes.com

Claims by President Donald Trump that media organizations primarily report negatively on him were proven true by a new research by Pew Research Center.

An analysis of 3,000 stories during the first 100 days of his presidency across 24 different media organizations found that reporting on Trump has been the most negative compared to other presidents over the past 25 years.

The research shows that only 5 percent of media reporting during the period was positive. 62 percent of the stories were negative, and 33 percent were neither positive nor negative.

By comparison, coverage of President Barack Obama during the same time period was 42 percent positive, and 20 percent negative. For President George W. Bush the number was 22 percent positive, and 28 percent negative. And for President Bill Clinton it was 27 percent positive, and 28 percent negative.

The study also revealed that most media coverage of Trump focused on his character traits rather than policy.

Only 31 percent of all stories published on Trump focused on policy issues, compared to 50 percent for Obama, 65 percent for Bush, and 58 percent for Clinton.

More of the obvious

Liz

I read a lot of news stories about Donald Trump and I'm skeptical that the positive coverage reaches 5 %. The conservative media is generally more rational but even 5% is too high a bar for the New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, CNN, MSNBC, etc.

Howsithangin

By comparison, coverage of President Barack Obama during the same time period was 42 percent positive, and 20 percent negative.

:huh: I'd have said zero. Though I may have missed that one negative story on ABC that was shown on Thursday night at 430am that chastised him for not drinking only fair-trade, organic coffee. <_<

corporal_little

Well, they always give Republicans bad press. I'm thinking they feel even more of a license to do so with Trump because he is so anti-PC and completely uncontrollable because he seriously doesn't give a crap what they think.

Edited by corporal_little

Natural Selection
The study also revealed that most media coverage of Trump focused on his character traits rather than policy.

And the few attempts they make at criticizing his policies are full of lies and deception.

For example, Trump's goal of stopping illegal immigration is described as an "anti-immigration" policy by the leftist media.

LSJ

Well, they always give Republicans bad press. I'm thinking they feel even more of a license to do so with Trump because he is so anti-PC and completely uncontrollable because he seriously doesn't give a crap what they think.

I'd say it has more to do with him being an outsider. The politicians and media are a corrupt little cult.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Their anti-American proggy bias has always been obvious, but now it's very blatant and in-your-freakin'-face.

Kilmerfan

The more they hate him the more I like him.😸

ThePatriot

Bingo.

If the leftist media and crooked politicians are against something or someone, then I'm all for it.

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

Well. I give the current media the most negative rating in the past 25 years. Does that count for anything?

zurg

Well. I give the current media the most negative rating in the past 25 years. Does that count for anything?

You just stated what the elitist media don't get, and why they don't understand that Trump actually won.

Ladybird

In comparison to the numbers for Bush, it was not anywhere near the positive/negative ratio that Trump has.

How many of the stories counted as 'negative' were just reporting on some of the crazy crap he says or tweets? I mean stories like his tweets on the reporters face or re-tweeting a GIF by a user called 'Fuctupmind' of him hitting Hillary Clinton with a golf ball, making her fall. He brings on a whole lot of negativity himself by acting like an adolescent.

Natural Selection
How many of the stories counted as 'negative' were just reporting on some of the crazy crap he says or tweets? I mean stories like his tweets on the reporters face or re-tweeting a GIF by a user called 'Fuctupmind' of him hitting Hillary Clinton with a golf ball, making her fall. He brings on a whole lot of negativity himself by acting like an adolescent.

Everybody seems to forget that Trump re-tweeted that GIF right after Clinton called him a "clear and present danger to this country".

Trump doesn't take insults lying down.

MontyPython

Perfectly put.

:thumbsup:

Censport

:huh: I'd have said zero. Though I may have missed that one negative story on ABC that was shown on Thursday night at 430am that chastised him for not drinking only fair-trade, organic coffee. <_<

The only time I remember his fanbase being upset with him was when he said Kamala Harris was an attractive woman. Something about how women shouldn't be judged for their looks, or something.

Ladybird

Everybody seems to forget that Trump re-tweeted that GIF right after Clinton called him a "clear and present danger to this country".

Trump doesn't take insults lying down.

So he re-tweeted that GIF to remove all doubt.

Natural Selection

I don't see his tweet as evidence that he's a "clear and present danger to this country". I see it as evidence that he has a sense of humor while swatting at that annoying mosquito known as Hillary.

Dean Adam Smithee

I'll sit this one out. Grew up in an environment where, per my stepmother, I was a nihil, a nothing, who could do no right, I didn't EVEN matter except as a mere distraction, whereas her own-borne could do no wrong.

Sucks that "politics" is now that same way. WHAT HAPPENED to the days when we could have "lively", even "heated", discussions and still be friends? I mean, I LOVE a good knock-down-drag-out discussion as much as anyone, and we'll split the bar tab afterwards.

:exactly:

As my title under my avatar reads: "pissing off all of the right people". :D

I give the lamestream media the flying middle finger salute!

In comparison to the numbers for Bush, it was not anywhere near the positive/negative ratio that Trump has.

All are in response to the insults flung by your party.

Trump says what most are already thinking. :D

Dean Adam Smithee

On a totally unrelated note, but something ELSE that jumped out at me further down in the same article:

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said on Thursday that with the freedoms of the First Amendment also comes responsibilities.

I have noticed that for the first 9 or 10 months after the election the media made it a point to call her Sarah Huckabee Sanders, and if you heard it on TV or radio you could almost hear the distaste in their voices. (As if, "Ewww! A Huckabee) (She IS Mike Huckabee's daughter).

NOW, just within the past month or two, I've noticed most of those same media outlets are now politely calling her Sarah Sanders. As if maybe they're trying to subliminally get people used to hearing the name Sanders in connection with the White House?

Am I reading too much into this? Or has anybody else noticed it too?

Ladybird

All are in response to the insults flung by your party.

Trump says what most are already thinking. :D

"an adult day care center"

:biglaugh: