To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Gertie Keddle

Why Are We Still Teaching 'To Kill a Mockingbird' in Schools?

Rate this topic

Tea Party Hooligan

I don't think the author gives 13 year olds enough credit. If it were assigned in 4th grade, I could see a concern in having it explained skillfully to the youngsters. 8th graders should certainly be able to deconstruct and draw their own conclusions or at least intelligently discuss the themes of the story.

We read it in elementary school (I believe it was, indeed, 4th grade), but that was before we started turning our kids into delicate little snowflakes (if your kid gets all butthurt from reading or hearing the word <censored> in historical context, then the parents need to be talked to and toughened up). Of course the teacher would answer all the questions we had, but it was a very good experience. We, also, read "Where the Red Fern Grows" as well as "The Outsiders" and a few others that dealt with societal issues, whether historical or current. Great books and the experience actually tempered me to read the crap we had to in high school English class (which was by far worse than anything I read in elementary school).

Edited by Tea Party Hooligan

Tea Party Hooligan

I read the book in school, and I find the use of the N word to be repulsive. So apparently I realized long ago using the word is stupid.

It isn't a matter of the word being repulsive, but whether we're going to censor a book that uses it in historical context. Or, if we're going give, as LB says, the kids some credit for being able to understand the difference.

Ladybird

Too bad I read that in high school.😎

Me too, in tenth grade, but not until I found it in the library at an alternative high school. I think we were assigned Welcome to the Monkey House.

Ladybird

It isn't a matter of the word being repulsive, but whether we're going to censor a book that uses it in historical context. Or, if we're going give, as LB says, the kids some credit for being able to understand the difference.

5ef257eca93d47da8246298dc022013f--funny-things-funny-stuff.jpg

Tea Party Hooligan

5ef257eca93d47da8246298dc022013f--funny-things-funny-stuff.jpg

heh heh heh :thumbsup:

Alexis

The better question is why does it seem no school requires “1984” anymore or “Animal Farm.”

I was wondering the same thing during the Clinton/Obama administration.

Dean Adam Smithee

If ANY book should be removed from readings lists, I nominate Flowers for Algernon. Required reading in (can't recall) 7th or 8th or 9th grade in the '70s.

Jeez, that was a stupid book. And I feel vindicated in saying that because in my 50-some years in this best-of-all-possible-worlds, I've never met a single person who ever said they enjoyed the book, or learned anything from it, or even read it at all without being forced to.

Howsithangin

I was wondering the same thing during the Clinton/Obama administration.

Which answers the question.

Howsithangin

If ANY book should be removed from readings lists, I nominate Flowers for Algernon. Required reading in (can't recall) 7th or 8th or 9th grade in the '70s.

Jeez, that was a stupid book. And I feel vindicated in saying that because in my 50-some years in this best-of-all-possible-worlds, I've never met a single person who ever said they enjoyed the book, or learned anything from it, or even read it at all without being forced to.

And I must add "Brothers Karamazov". An 600-page novel where they're still introducing the characters on page 400. It reads like a Russian winter must feel: Brutal.