To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

Jake Tapper slams Fox News for misrepresenting comments about New York

Rate this topic

Howsithangin

If you don’t believe God is great, that is fine, but it doesn’t mean that those who do are terrorists.

even though many are

E Van der Vliet

Every time one of them blows up a bus, drives over a crowd, or explodes a bomb, they screech said phrase. So can you blame people for associating the two? I think not.

Tapper was, as the media always does, attempting to dissociate the terrible act perpetrated by islamic radicals from islam. He was caught acting stupidly.

No kidding. I'm sure Tapper has never thought to himself, after hearing said prhase, wow, that sounds just awesome.

He is full of it.

oki

And when non-terrorists say “God is great”, it means that their God is Greater than any other.

If you don’t believe God is great, that is fine, but it doesn’t mean that those who do are terrorists.

Context is everything. With what you know of Japanese culture and history could I ever convince you that the word Banzai was ever used for anything but fanatical charges against enemy forces? Come on tell us, what do you associate every time you hear the word Banzai? Better yet, ask a WWII vet who served in the pacific. Just a word ya' know...

Oki

oki

No kidding. I'm sure Tapper has never thought to himself, after hearing said prhase, wow, that sounds just awesome.

He is full of it.

Anyone remember the scene from Rush Hour when Jackie Chan is sitting in the pool hall and tells the Bar Tender what's up my n'? And it starts a big fight? Doesn't matter that Jackie Chan's character was only copying what his partner had been saying. It was how it was viewed and taken which mattered. Come to think of it, I wonder how many people think the word Kamikaze means suicide pilot because that's what they called themselves? Truth is (depending on how it's said exactly as in vowels) kami means God and Kaze means wind/breeze. So literally it means Gods wind. Sure as hell though if you said the word to a WWII vet or anyone of that era they wouldn't be thinking of a breeze or gust of wind.

Oki

Ladybird

Context is everything. With what you know of Japanese culture and history could I ever convince you that the word Banzai was ever used for anything but fanatical charges against enemy forces? Come on tell us, what do you associate every time you hear the word Banzai? Better yet, ask a WWII vet who served in the pacific. Just a word ya' know...

Oki

If I heard the word ‘banzai’ I would think of those gorgeous plants they have in the mall. The one Mr Miyagi trims to keep sane and in balance.

Yes, context is everything, which is what Mr. Tapper was saying.

Edited by Ladybird

oki

If I heard the word ‘banzai’ I would think of those gorgeous plants they have in the mall. The one Mr Miyagi trims to keep sane and in balance.

Yes, context is everything, which is what Mr. Tapper was saying.

How about if someone of Asian background started yelling it, like I said. And by the way, the name of the plant is a Bonsai. Pronounced Bon S eye.

Two completely different words. Try again.

Oki

Buckwheat Jones

There is something fundamentally wrong with a religion that specifically tells you to kill your adversaries.

Edited by Buckwheat Jones

Ladybird

How about if someone of Asian background started yelling it, like I said. And by the way, the name of the plant is a Bonsai. Pronounced Bon S eye.

Two completely different words. Try again.

Oki

brussel-s-bonsai-bonsai-trees-dt-7079gmj-64_1000.jpg

Sorry, but I would think the person was selling a bonsai.

Howsithangin

Unless you haven't studied history (which I doubt), I'm going to have to call BS on this sorry.

Ladybird

Unless you haven't studied history (which I doubt), I'm going to have to call BS on this sorry.

If someone screamed Allahu Akbar on the street or the train, I would run away from whoever it yelled. If an Imam said it after marrying two people, I’d say amen. If someone said it while they were praying, I’d stay quiet until they were done.

Context.

Edited by Ladybird

gravelrash

If someone screamed Allahu Akbar on the street or the train, I would run away from whoever it yelled. If an Imam said it after marrying two people, I’d say amen. If someone said it while they were praying, I’d stay quiet until they were done.

Context.

So you would pull a Juan Williams before or after a Jake Tapper?

Coach

So you would pull a Juan Williams before or after a Jake Tapper?

Oh that's a good shot.

Ladybird

I actually listened to the replay of Tapper making the statement. It was entirely unnecessary and meant to deflect attention from the murders.

The fact that some feel the need to defend Tapper and point out the obvious fact that most Muslims aren't terrorists merely proves how morally soft many Americans are today. I understand it gives one a very superior feeling to claim the high ground but what real good does it do ?

I don't believe that it's obvious to all, or even many. Fox News knew that this out-of-context tweet would work on their viewers.

Edited by Ladybird

Severian

The irony is rich though.

oki

Yes it is called a Bonsai, not BANZAI(Even I misspelled it for BONZAI). Z vs S. I asked you how a WWII vet would react in hearing it. No answer, how you would react in hearing it and it would make you think of a small tree, despite the fact that you want to tell me you know the difference in the words?

Banzai was a battle cry used both before an attack to motivate troops as well as yelled during fighting, in particular suicide charges into U.S. formations. Go ahead, tell a WWII vet that Banzai doesn't always mean what they think it means. The true meaning is a Japanese patriotic cry or joyous shout, but to all the G.I.'s who fought in the Pacific it meant a whole sh$t storm of people trying to die and take you with them was coming your way.

Would you like some examples of what the Banzai means to a WWII vet?

*Warning this isn't for the squeamish*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1jLtLxD6E

Oki

Ladybird

Yes it is called a Bonsai, not BANZAI(Even I misspelled it for BONZAI). Z vs S. I asked you how a WWII vet would react in hearing it. No answer, how you would react in hearing it and it would make you think of a small tree, despite the fact that you want to tell me you know the difference in the words?

Banzai was a battle cry used both before an attack to motivate troops as well as yelled during fighting, in particular suicide charges into U.S. formations. Go ahead, tell a WWII vet that Banzai doesn't always mean what they think it means. The true meaning is a Japanese patriotic cry or joyous shout, but to all the G.I.'s who fought in the Pacific it meant a whole sh$t storm of people trying to die and take you with them was coming your way.

Would you like some examples of what the Banzai means to a WWII vet?

*Warning this isn't for the squeamish*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1jLtLxD6E

Oki

What on earth is this to do with the OP?

In the context of a man yelling Banzai! I suppose some would become alarmed. Okay. And?

Dutch13

In the context of a man yelling Banzai! I suppose some would become alarmed. Okay. And?

Back to the article.....if someone screams Allahu Akbar, they should not be surprised if the crowd around them either 1) scatters or 2) kicks the ever loving sh# out of them.

Ladybird

Back to the article.....if someone screams Allahu Akbar, they should not be surprised if the crowd around them either 1) scatters or 2) kicks the ever loving sh# out of them.

I said that above his comment. I would run if someone shouted it on the street.

That does not make the words themselves evil.

Crabby Appleton

The fact is, parsing and apologizing for the media notwithstanding, the first response to an Islamic terror plot by all of the mainstream media, Jake Tapper included, is to wring hands about the blowback that poor Muslims will face. Victims of the terrorism are lost in handwringing over imagined (and hoped-for) discrimination against 'moderate Muslims'. Tapper's comment is perfectly in line with that mindset. Never mind the fact that expression is invariably used during terror attacks, he wants us to ignore the terror and focus on the 'peaceful' nature of Islam.

One thing is inarguable: NOTHING the Islamic terrorists do cannot be found, and encouraged, in the Quran. To insist that Allahu Akbar is being misrepresented, is the epitome of misrepresentation.

Coach

I don't believe that it's obvious to all, or even many. Fox News knew that this out-of-context tweet would work on their viewers.

That's pure conjecture, like most progressives you have no idea how well informed we are out here in the hinterlands.

Severian

True story: I once lived in a town where the symphony orchestra conductor was a Hungarian immigrant back in the 70s when the Iron Curtain was still there. He was highly patriotic, always played the national anthem at the beginning of every concert. (I's as patriotic as anyone, but c'mon, it's not a ball game or a NASCAR race). Anyway, once we had a concert with the Israeli symphony orchestra playing, and had a full house for about the only time ever. They played the Israeli national anthem, then the US one. At the end of the US one, an apparently new concert goer there shouts out "plaaaayyyyy baaaaallll!" Which, if you're an Israeli who doesn't speak much if any English sounds an awful lot like "Allah Akbar!" Believe me, many of the orchestra members didn't interpret it as a shout of joy and bugged out off stage at max velocity, took a good 10 or 15 min to get things back in order and carry on.

Ladybird

That's pure conjecture, like most progressives you have no idea how well informed we are out here in the hinterlands.

All I have to do is read.

oki

Seriously? Your trying a word play/context game and can't or won't answer a simple question. An Asian person yelling Banzai would largely have the same affect on a WWII vet as someone yelling Allahu Ackbar would on many people today. IS that simple enough? Doesn't matter what either one truly means when they are translated or other uses know does it? Go ahead and tell a WWII Vet that saying Banzai isn't such a bad thing. Tell us how it goes, tell us about what they think or remember. By the way, you occasionally hear it to this day, but not so much. Coarse I know more than most about Japanese culture. Difference is I am not trying to downplay or deflect things one bit.

Imagine if some Newsguy from the 1940's said, hey everyone you really don't know what the word Banzai means, you've got it all wrong.

Or maybe even the word Kamikaze, your just as guilty on this one because I bet you think it means suicide plane or pilot. Shame on you.

Kami means God(that is if it's pronounced correctly other wise it can mean paper or hair), kaze means wind, breeze, or common cold(again depending on pronunciation). If Muslims don't want us to associate Allahu Ackbar with terrorism then they should stop yelling it when they are killing innocents, or better yet stop killing innocent people in the name of Allah.

Oki

oki

True story: I once lived in a town where the symphony orchestra conductor was a Hungarian immigrant back in the 70s when the Iron Curtain was still there. He was highly patriotic, always played the national anthem at the beginning of every concert. (I's as patriotic as anyone, but c'mon, it's not a ball game or a NASCAR race). Anyway, once we had a concert with the Israeli symphony orchestra playing, and had a full house for about the only time ever. They played the Israeli national anthem, then the US one. At the end of the US one, an apparently new concert goer there shouts out "plaaaayyyyy baaaaallll!" Which, if you're an Israeli who doesn't speak much if any English sounds an awful lot like "Allah Akbar!" Believe me, many of the orchestra members didn't interpret it as a shout of joy and bugged out off stage at max velocity, took a good 10 or 15 min to get things back in order and carry on.

I imagine many of the Americans and English speaking people got a chuckle out of it, but for the Israili's who mis understood and had already been dealing with this sh$t for decades at that time, no it wouldn't be amusing one damn bit. Much the same for Vietnam vets, I guarantee you there are a number of phrases if yelled would have those poor guys go into full beast mode. Some people don't get that it's how and when something is used which is what gets it associated to a number of things. Doesn't matter what it may or may not actually mean.

Oki

USNRETWIFE

All I have to do is read.

A llittle snooty there, aren't ya? Typical.