To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

Jake Tapper slams Fox News for misrepresenting comments about New York

Rate this topic

Ladybird

Seriously? Your trying a word play/context game and can't or won't answer a simple question. An Asian person yelling Banzai would largely have the same affect on a WWII vet as someone yelling Allahu Ackbar would on many people today. IS that simple enough? Doesn't matter what either one truly means when they are translated or other uses know does it? Go ahead and tell a WWII Vet that saying Banzai isn't such a bad thing. Tell us how it goes, tell us about what they think or remember. By the way, you occasionally hear it to this day, but not so much. Coarse I know more than most about Japanese culture. Difference is I am not trying to downplay or deflect things one bit.

Imagine if some Newsguy from the 1940's said, hey everyone you really don't know what the word Banzai means, you've got it all wrong.

Or maybe even the word Kamikaze, your just as guilty on this one because I bet you think it means suicide plane or pilot. Shame on you.

Kami means God(that is if it's pronounced correctly other wise it can mean paper or hair), kaze means wind, breeze, or common cold(again depending on pronunciation). If Muslims don't want us to associate Allahu Ackbar with terrorism then they should stop yelling it when they are killing innocents, or better yet stop killing innocent people in the name of Allah.

Oki

If you heard the words Allahu Akbar whispered in a prayer or said after two people were married, would you freak out and start running amuck?

oki

If you heard the words Allahu Akbar whispered in a prayer or said after two people were married, would you freak out and start running amuck?

IF I COULD SEE THAT WAS THE SITUATION, THEN NO. That's very different from only hearing someone yell it in a crowded place know isn't it?

Say, did you ask a WWII vet what there thoughts on the word Banzai was? Better yet, why don't you walk up to a Iraq or Afghanistan vet and start yelling Allahu Ackbar, see what it gets you. You don't have the guts to do either because what I describe is %100 accurate. Just as Japanese people used to use Banzai as a rallying cry for many things, they sure as hell used it as a War cry and that's what it's remember for.

Or does the word Banzai make you think of a cute little tree? Again, how about Kamikaze what comes to your mind? Suicide pilots or a gentle breeze?

Oki

Ladybird

IF I COULD SEE THAT WAS THE SITUATION, THEN NO. That's very different from only hearing someone yell it in a crowded place know isn't it?

Say, did you ask a WWII vet what there thoughts on the word Banzai was? Better yet, why don't you walk up to a Iraq or Afghanistan vet and start yelling Allahu Ackbar, see what it gets you. You don't have the guts to do either because what I describe is %100 accurate. Just as Japanese people used to use Banzai as a rallying cry for many things, they sure as hell used it as a War cry and that's what it's remember for.

Or does the word Banzai make you think of a cute little tree? Again, how about Kamikaze what comes to your mind? Suicide pilots or a gentle breeze?

Oki

Mere words don’t affect me that way. I look at the intent behind them. Allahu Akbar is said every day in prayer. That some have used it while committing evil does not make the words evil.

I don’t understand your point any longer. I have said repeatedly that someone yelling the words in public would justifiably fill me with panic. What are you going on about?

Tell you what though, next time I meet a WWII veteran (dad is long gone) I will ask him if the word Banzai would scare him.

Dutch13

The fact is, parsing and apologizing for the media notwithstanding, the first response to an Islamic terror plot by all of the mainstream media, Jake Tapper included, is to wring hands about the blowback that poor Muslims will face. Victims of the terrorism are lost in handwringing over imagined (and hoped-for) discrimination against 'moderate Muslims'. Tapper's comment is perfectly in line with that mindset. Never mind the fact that expression is invariably used during terror attacks, he wants us to ignore the terror and focus on the 'peaceful' nature of Islam.

One thing is inarguable: NOTHING the Islamic terrorists do cannot be found, and encouraged, in the Quran. To insist that Allahu Akbar is being misrepresented, is the epitome of misrepresentation.

You make a great point. Who are the true followers of Muhammed? The people that believe violence against non-muslims is appropriate or the people that just want to live in peace?

Regardless of how an individual might answer that question, calling Islam the religion of peace is the equivalent of calling a bald man "curly" or calling a fat man "slim".

oki

Mere words don’t affect me that way. I look at the intent behind them. Allahu Akbar is said every day in prayer. That some have used it while committing evil does not make the words evil.

I don’t understand your point any longer. I have said repeatedly that someone yelling the words in public would justifiably fill me with panic. What are you going on about?

Tell you what though, next time I meet a WWII veteran (dad is long gone) I will ask him if the word Banzai would scare him.

Mere words don't affect you that way? Really? If someone yelled n should die UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE it wouldn't affect you? It wouldn't fill you with anger or fear? Just the same, how some people have used the N word doesn't make it evil know does it? Just like I explained in the use of the word Gaijin, in it's literal sense it means foreigner nothing more nothing less, but it is commonly used in a very very racist manner. By the way, if you hearing someone yell Alahu Ackbar would scare you, why shouldn't it scare me?

By the way, I don't need to ask a WWII vet if the word Banzai would fill him with terror. I have known enough to already have an answer.

Context is in fact everything. Truth is the word Banzai became synonymous with the Imperial Japanese Army, just as Kamikaze became synonymous with suicide pilots. Still haven't answered what pops into your head when you hear that word(Kamikaze) know why is that? It doesn't mean suicide pilot after all, not even close. But guess what? THEY(THE JAPANESE) chose that term, chose to call themselves such, chose those words, in short it's their doing for the association. Funny how that works isn't it?

Oki

Severian

I imagine many of the Americans and English speaking people got a chuckle out of it, but for the Israili's who mis understood and had already been dealing with this sh$t for decades at that time, no it wouldn't be amusing one damn bit. Much the same for Vietnam vets, I guarantee you there are a number of phrases if yelled would have those poor guys go into full beast mode. Some people don't get that it's how and when something is used which is what gets it associated to a number of things. Doesn't matter what it may or may not actually mean.

Oki

Oh, the audience thought it was hysterical, big laugh, until everyone noticed the orchestra bugging out. But, given the circumstances, if I were them I'd have bugged out too. Figure it out later, if there's any doubt, make for the exits.

SARGE

That would probably depend on which theater of the war he fought in.

European, no. Pacific, hell yeah.

• Disagree (-1) 1

oki

Oh, the audience thought it was hysterical, big laugh, until everyone noticed the orchestra bugging out. But, given the circumstances, if I were them I'd have bugged out too. Figure it out later, if there's any doubt, make for the exits.

Exactly, but hey it's just words right? On a similar note. There have been a few cases of Japanese people coming to U.S. and trying something very sour. Nigai(pronounced knee guy), you can only imagine the problems this has created. I haven't heard of anything getting out of hand, but none the less things could get bad real quick.

Oki

oki

If I may ask, aren't there a few phrases in Vietnamese which most vets don't take to kindly to due to how they where used?

Oki

Magic Rat

All the Banzai charge stuff aside; since when does a lefty say that 'words don't cause harm'? They cause harm whenever some whiny lefty decides to pretend to be offended when they hear the phrase 'niggardly' or 'you people' or 'otay buweet' or whatever. Now all of a sudden words don't matter, only context does.

It must be hard to twist yourself in knots for the sake of political ideology.

Tapper is a moron who works for the network who put "Terror Suspect Screamed 'Praise God' in Arabic" on their headline.

I guess being intentionally obtuse is the prime component of the New Left.

Ladybird

All the Banzai charge stuff aside; since when does a lefty say that 'words don't cause harm'? They cause harm whenever some whiny lefty decides to pretend to be offended when they hear the phrase 'niggardly' or 'you people' or 'otay buweet' or whatever. Now all of a sudden words don't matter, only context does.

It must be hard to twist yourself in knots for the sake of political ideology.

Tapper is a moron who works for the network who put "Terror Suspect Screamed 'Praise God' in Arabic" on their headline.

Since I am not a "whiny lefty", and know how to use niggardly in a sentence, I can understand Mr. Tapper's point about how words in one way being a prayer, but in another a bloodthirsty call of death is a paradox.

Ladybird

Belgium, Italy France.

Dad spoke French fluently. I don't recall his reacting to any particular words in a negative way.

Magic Rat

Since I am not a "whiny lefty", and know how to use niggardly in a sentence, I can understand Mr. Tapper's point about how words in one way being a prayer, but in another a bloodthirsty call of death is a paradox.

zurg

Mere words don’t affect me that way. I look at the intent behind them.

You people are such pretzels.

ETA: I see Mr Magic beat me to it.

Edited by zurg