To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Liz

Networks Downplay Senator Warren’s Lies About Her Heritage

Rate this topic

Howsithangin

I don't want to argue with you, Pict. But did you read my comment? We had our DNA tested by a reputable company. My husband is 1/8 Cree. We can prove it. But his DNA said he was 90 + EUROPEAN!

Ya know what that makes him, right? Cis-white Male EEEEKK!!!! :woot:

pict

I don't want to argue with you, Pict. But did you read my comment? We had our DNA tested by a reputable company. My husband is 1/8 Cree. We can prove it. But his DNA said he was 90 + EUROPEAN!

And that's obviously true. But you admitted the company could have checked for specific genes and ancestry if asked to do so. So what's your beef?

I see you arguing about nothing. 'Forked tongue' could easily prove her roots, her claims only go back to the late 19th century.

Edited by pict

JerryL

It’s not a play on words. It’s a simple question. If someone (like Elizabeth Warren) pretended to be Jewish in whole or in part, would you think it appropriate or funny to call her Anne Frank?

Sure, if they called her:

Anne "Crank", or

Moshe "Lie-an", or how about,

Benjamin "Now-you-lie-to who."

A slur against the liar, not the race or religion.

Ladybird

My grandmother on my fathers side was a member of an upstate NY tribe, and we have familial documents of the Seminole great-great grandmother who was owned by an Irishman, but the Ancestor DNA thing didn't pick up anything specific, except several African countries, Ireland, and a murky Asia, Scandinavia, and South America designation.

Tea Party Hooligan

Liz Warren is pretending to be an Indian...The person that’s running against her sent her a DNA kit and she refused to take it

Princess Gray Beaver is a fraud

Dude!!!! Warn a guy, huh!!!!!!!

Had to clean the monitor!!!

JerryL

Yes, I got one myself.

Elizabeth Warren was not being honored here. There was no reason, other than pettiness, that she was alluded to by the president.

That being said, are you truly surprised that a President used an event honoring non-politicians to make a political statement? Really?

Donald Trump must be the first President to ever do this!! :sarcasm:

Tea Party Hooligan

I happen to know several who would be offended if you used Anne Frank as a joke name. But you have your own crowd. The president supposedly speaks to everyone. If she's a fraud, call her a fraud (at an appropriate time, not while honoring two native Americans). Name calling is for children and morons.

And yes, again, there are plenty of people who don't care what kind name you use or how you reference ethnicity. Still doesn't make it right or presidential.

Why can't you leftists figure it out? Like I told you before: You do not have a right to not be offended in this country! If something offends you; so what? Plenty of things offend me.

Kneeling by pampered sports types during the playing of the National Anthem is right up there.

Wholesale genocide (i.e. abortion)

spineless twits that tell me things I do are offensive, therefore I shouldn't be allowed to offend them.

etc.

Get over yourselves. Stop looking to be perpetually outraged. Pull on your big girl panties and live your life without trying to tell me how to live mine. However, I know that with you leftists/progressives/commies it is very hard controlling yourselves and not trying to run other peoples lives, because you think you're so much smarter than us and therefore need to boss us around.

ThePatriot

It is if it is used as an insult. “Boy” isn’t a racial slur, but it was used to denigrate black men.

No, it is not a racial slur. You don't get to make up your own definitions of words. Words have meanings. If you are unsure of what words mean, look them up in a dictionary.

ThePatriot

Other native Americans are saying that using the name of an historical figure this way is insulting, making it a slur. Why can’t you and the president respect that?

I haven’t seen Warren’s DNA results, but if she’s a fraud, then call her a fraud.

If someone were pretending to be Jewish would you think it was funny or appropriate to call her Anne Frank?

It certainly wouldn't be a racial slur.

stick

Descendant Of Pocahontas Not Offended By Trump

It's a video. And if Pocahontas' descendant isn't offended by Trump why are some of us and why is this thread so long?

Don’t worry, plenty of proggies are offended for you, ma’am.

stick

I happen to know several who would be offended if you used Anne Frank as a joke name. But you have your own crowd. The president supposedly speaks to everyone. If she's a fraud, call her a fraud (at an appropriate time, not while honoring two native Americans). Name calling is for children and morons.

And yes, again, there are plenty of people who don't care what kind name you use or how you reference ethnicity. Still doesn't make it right or presidential.

Meh, fraud has legal connotations...I like Pocahontas better.

Ladybird

No, it is not a racial slur. You don't get to make up your own definitions of words. Words have meanings. If you are unsure of what words mean, look them up in a dictionary.

Are you denying that “boy” was used as a racial insult?

Severian

Anne "Crank", or

For the situation re Lieawatha to be the same, there'd have to be a special college fund or other such benefit, set aside to help out Jewish students. She would have claimed to be Jewish (well, instead of saying high cheekbones say large nose, whatever Jewish characteristic you can think of), taken advantage of the program meant for Jews, and then have it determined that the only thing Jewish in her background was one of her forefathers turned out to be a concentration camp guard.

Ladybird

For the situation re Lieawatha to be the same, [bthere'd have to be a special college fund or other such benefit, set aside to help out Jewish students.[/b] She would have claimed to be Jewish (well, instead of saying high cheekbones say large nose, whatever Jewish characteristic you can think of), taken advantage of the program meant for Jews, and then have it determined that the only thing Jewish in her background was one of her forefathers turned out to be a concentration camp guard.

You’re claiming there isn’t?

https://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/college-scholarships/scholarships-by-type/religious-scholarships/jewish-scholarships/

Wag-a-Muffin (D)
When we believe or say we have been offended, we usually mean we feel insulted, mistreated, snubbed, or disrespected. And certainly clumsy, embarrassing, unprincipled, and mean-spirited things do occur in our interactions with other people that would allow us to take offense. However, it ultimately is impossible for another person to offend you or to offend me. Indeed, believing that another person offended us is fundamentally false. To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. . . .

David A. Bednar October 2006

The above is from a talk that I recently listened to. The (because this is what I do) I wrote a personal experience and shared it with friends.

"People are going to say and do hurtful things. And there are two main reasons why they do this. One: they intend to annoy or upset you, or two: they don't intend to annoy or upset you.

It's just that simple."

An example from my (Wag-a-Muffin's actual) life: a couple of months ago in Church, an acquaintance from out of the area sat behind my husband and me. She was not a usual congregation member, but was visiting a person who is.

Being sociable, Hub and I turned and said, “hello,” and when this person saw me, she said, “oh! I didn't expect that you'd still be here.” (as in, on earth—alive--not dead yet from the cancer.) It was fairly uncomfortable and we all laughed, awkwardly.

I know this person didn't mean to offend me. So I'm trying to let it go. (I usually am not an easily offended person.) But I want publicly state, so many people, when they see me, tell me the most ghastly cancer stories. And often, I just stand/sit there and listen. Sometimes I murmur, “I'd really rather not hear this.” But more often I just wait until they're done. I know they are doing this because they don't know what to say. Like when someone sees a pregnant woman, why do they insist on telling them about the most horrific birthing stories they can recall?

If I wanted to, I could post here some of the cancer death sagas I've been subjected to, in casual conversations. It's funny—in an odd way. And I know that people just want to say SOMETHING. (I am forgiving them because I know I've said inappropriate things to grieving friends, just because I wanted to say SOMETHING too. I wish I hadn't, but I know I have.)

And these are people who are trying to help. I like the quote from David Bednar's talk, “When we believe or say we have been offended, we usually mean we feel insulted, mistreated, snubbed, or disrespected. And certainly clumsy, embarrassing, unprincipled, and mean-spirited things do occur in our interactions with other people that would allow us to take offense. However, it ultimately is impossible for another person to offend you or to offend me. Indeed, believing that another person offended us is fundamentally false. To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. “

If someone wants to offend us, or if the offense is unintentional, our choice is still the same. My goal is to CHOOSE not to be offended.

(And, just so you know I'm not as “saintly” as I appear, I like the idea of not taking offense when someone who is trying to hurt me on purpose, just to annoy them.)

Edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D)

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

Why isn't this opening up when I post it? (It is a humorous video, "How to get Offended.)

Edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D)

gravelrash

Sorry, Wags (D), Eleanor Roosevelt said it more concisely than David Bednar:

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

Judging by Lie-awatha's reaction, she gave Trump carte blanche to toss her like a buffalo chip into a campfire.

Edited by gravelrash

Severian

Even you aren't this obtuse, so you are deliberately missing the point to try and deflect. Face it, Lieawatha's closest approach to being Native American is her relationship to a Union cavalryman who drove the Cherokees down the Trail Of Tears, more than a touch analogous to a concentration camp guard. I am more Native than Lieawatha. It's most particularly outrageous to claim benefits and victimhood points when your only relationship to the "victims" is your relatives helped kill and imprison them.

zurg

The president did speak TO everyone. Not "supposedly". (You used the correct preposition, BTW. Some say that the president speaks FOR everyone. That's clearly false, as there are many who disagree with the president.)

So what, anyway? The president spoke TO people, some thought it was great, others thought it was clever if a little juvenile but didn't bother them one bit (put me here), others thought it was somewhat tasteless but didn't get worked up about it, and then a certain minority thought it was crass and racist and bigoted and misogynistic and too-non-PC and all kinds of crazy stuff.

Just because you're in the minority category doesn't mean your lecture is meaningful.

ThePatriot

Any word can be said in a snide, derogatory manner. The word "boy" is NOT a racial slur.

I already posted the definition of "racial slur" - do you need me to post it again?

pict

My grandmother on my fathers side was a member of an upstate NY tribe, and we have familial documents of the Seminole great-great grandmother who was owned by an Irishman, but the Ancestor DNA thing didn't pick up anything specific, except several African countries, Ireland, and a murky Asia, Scandinavia, and South America designation.

My great great great grandfather was part Eskimo, part Chinese, part outer Mongolian, part Nepalese, part Siberian and none of those showed up either.

Perhaps I should have asked them to check, like you should have.

Edited by pict

Severian

My great great great grandfather was part Eskimo, part Chinese, part outer Mongolian, part Nepalese, part Siberian and none of those showed up either.

Perhaps I should have asked them to check, like you should have.

What percentage Soay?

Dutch13

duplicate

Edited by Dutch13

Dutch13

Then why call her Pocahontas?

Call her a fraud and a liar.

Anne "Crank", or

Agreed, which is why anyone paying attention before Trump came along was calling her Fauxcahontas.

Edited by Dutch13

Magic Rat

Therefore boys of other races should be offended when it's used to demean a black man. It's ridiculous, but to be consistent, you will have to agree.