Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

NBC fires Matt Lauer after complaint about 'inappropriate sexual b

Rate this topic

Ladybird

NBC fires Matt Lauer after complaint about 'inappropriate sexual behavior'

by Brian Stelter @brianstelter

November 29, 2017: 7:28 AM ET

Matt Lauer was fired from NBC News on Wednesday after an employee filed a complaint about "inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace," the network announced.

Savannah Guthrie made the announcement at the top of the "Today" show, where Lauer has been an anchor for two decades.

NBC News chairman Andrew Lack said in a memo to staff that it was the first complaint lodged against Lauer in his career at the network. But he said "we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident."

The firing removes one of the most recognizable personalities on television, and at a time when morning news programs are increasingly important to network news divisions.

Just last week, CBS News fired one of its own morning anchors, Charlie Rose, after a report in The Washington Post chronicled years of sexual misconduct.

Guthrie said she was informed just moments before going on the air.

"This is a sad morning at 'Today' and NBC News," she said. "As I'm sure you can understand, we are devastated. I'm heartbroken for Matt. He is my dear, dear colleague."

Guthrie also said she was heartbroken for the woman who accused Lauer of misconduct, noting "it's long overdue" that women feel comfortable coming forward against abusive men.

<snip>

Link

ThePatriot
"This is a sad morning at 'Today' and NBC News," she said. "As I'm sure you can understand, we are devastated. I'm heartbroken for Matt. He is my dear, dear colleague."

Typical Democrat. Instead of being angry and disgusted at Lauer, she is "heartbroken for Matt".

Noclevermoniker

Interesting that the net cast to catch racist/misogynist/-ist/-ist/-ist, and generally icky conservatives seems to be making a haul of leftists, instead.

I'd call it unintended consequences.

Typical Democrat. Instead of being angry and disgusted at Lauer, she is "heartbroken for Matt".

I guess she can't get felt up at home?

BerkeleyUnderground

Wow!

And I remember all the people excusing then President Bill Clinton and making fun of his accusers.

And I thought I heard yesterday that Nancy Pelosi was abandoning her defense of John Conyers.

BerkeleyUnderground

If there's this kind of what seems like a sea change regarding sexual exploitation in the work place, maybe that change of attitude can happen in other areas.

Like I heard a little bit of Mark Levin saying how broke and indebted we are as a country, yesterday.

Edited by BerkeleyUnderground

Kilmerfan

Liberals being hypocrites, imagine my shock.

"For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to notice the beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye?…"

(Matthew 7:3)

Edited by Kilmerfan

Tea Party Hooligan

Before long, all that will be left of hollyweird and the media will be women. No man will want anything to do with it, for fear of being accused of anything and everything sexual.

Noclevermoniker

Before long, all that will be left of hollyweird and the media will be women. No man will want anything to do with it, for fear of being accused of anything and everything sexual.

If you ever have or ever do attend a corporate harassment seminar, watch the male/female interactions immediately afterward. Everyone is walking on eggshells out of fear.

Ladybird

If you ever have or ever do attend a corporate harassment seminar, watch the male/female interactions immediately afterward. Everyone is walking on eggshells out of fear.

Try being the only female in a mostly male field in a large corporation, before all the harrasment and diversity required classes. Yes, the pendulum has possibly swung too far, but it had to go.

east dallasite

Here's what I learned at an HR taught class at a large insurance company in 1990:

Men bad

Gay men not quite as bad

Women good

Lesbians very good.

This helped me navigate the waters in the ensuing years...

Kilmerfan

The sad part is women are worst then men when it comes to sexual harassment.

Dutch13

The only safe place for someone that sexually harasses people to work these days is in the federal government.

BerkeleyUnderground

Here's what I learned at an HR taught class at a large insurance company in 1990:

Men bad

Gay men not quite as bad

Women good

Lesbians very good.

This helped me navigate the waters in the ensuing years...

Wow!

...that screwed up that long ago!

Noclevermoniker

Try being the only female in a mostly male field in a large corporation, before all the harrasment and diversity required classes. Yes, the pendulum has possibly swung too far, but it had to go.

Early in my career, I witnessed the absolute worst behavior in a co-worker (superior) towards a fellow employee who could do little but shrug it off. There would have been dire consequences had she spoken up. I vowed to myself to never "be that guy". He was a pig.

gravelrash

His contract calls for him to be paid tens of millions a year. It reportedly ran through 2018.

With networks hemorrhaging hundreds of millions a year in revenue, not surprising that NBC fired Lauer outright rather than go through a prolonged suspension and inquiry. Maybe there is overwhelming and damning evidence of sexual misconduct. Then termination was the first step to protecting NBC from lawsuits.

NBC should change their logo from the peacock to the ouroboros.

LongKnife

Conversely, I was thinking that this environment might prevent a lot of women from being hired for positions that would make it possible for them to ensnare someone with a simple accusation of harassment. Could be a flood of male secretaries and assistants coming into the marketplace.

Kilmerfan

Conversely, I was thinking that this environment might prevent a lot of women from being hired for positions that would make it possible for them to ensnare someone with a simple accusation of harassment. Could be a flood of male secretaries and assistants coming into the marketplace.

Or replaced by robots....

baldeagle

Only ever watched him (or his used to be running mate, "Perky" Jane Pauley Katie Couric) when they happened to be in the news on some other network.

Never could figure why they were worth 20 Million or so bucks per year.

That said, it appears we are heading for a mob mentality witch hunting period like the nursery school abuse cases in he 80s. "Just take'em out back and lynch'em".

Edited by baldeagle

Ladybird

Only ever watched him (or his used to be running mate, "Perky" Jane Pauley) when they happened to be in the news on some other network.

Never could figure why they were worth 20 Million or so bucks per year.

That said, it appears we are heading for a mob mentality witch hunting period like the nursery school abuse cases in he 80s. "Just take'em out back and lynch'em".

Same here. The only time I’ve seen him was when there was a snowstorm and the cable went out, so we resorted to the antenna. He seems like a lightweight, a la William Hurt in Broadcast News.

zurg

Of course, it wasn't ALL men or even a majority being bad guys. However, all men fell under a scrutiny. All men had to undergo training. A sort of a vetting process. It made sense.

The same is being proposed for Muslims. Makes sense to vet them; maybe we'll understand things better and maybe we'll change some behaviors.

As you said, it has to be done. (Lemme guess: you're against this.)

Magic Rat

Same here. The only time Ive seen him was when there was a snowstorm and the cable went out, so we resorted to the antenna. He seems like a lightweight, a la William Hurt in Broadcast News.

I always considered him kind of a Vichy-guy. The kind of jerk who pretended he would rather go out for salad and chardonnay with the girls rather than beers with guys. Turns out he's more of a snake than even I thought.

Edited by Magic Rat

Ladybird

Of course, it wasn't ALL men or even a majority being bad guys. However, all men fell under a scrutiny. All men had to undergo training. A sort of a vetting process. It made sense.

The same is being proposed for Muslims. Makes sense to vet them; maybe we'll understand things better and maybe we'll change some behaviors.

As you said, it has to be done. (Lemme guess: you're against this.)

The first ‘diversity’ type class I went to had many complaints from the men who worked in the more female oriented areas of packaging and marketing. It was interesting hearing some of the same concerns, though none were of the touchy grabby variety like ours.

Everyone should be vetted.

LongKnife

Everyone should be vetted.

Except me. I'm OK.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :biglaugh:

I LOVE IT!

THE LEFT EATING THEIR OWN!

Crimes over 20+ years old finally receiving justice because the perps were liberals and protected one another through blackmail, fear and intimidation!

And most here believed that there are no such things as conspiracies because it would be impossible to keep so many people quiet about such outrageous crimes for so long?

Yet another conspiracy FACT that was mentioned by Infowars that Trump was going to let the cat out of the bag on! Hence why all of these Hollyweird elites and liberal politicians all over are all blowing a gasket after Trump won and they are pulling every dirty rotten trick that they can make up to stop the long arm of justice from grasping their necks!

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger