LongKnife

ESPN to lay off 150 more people

Rate this topic

LongKnife

ESPN to lay off 150 people, latest round of cuts at sports broadcasting network

Fox News

Leora Arnowitz, Sasha Savitsky

November 29, 2017

ESPN President John Skipper announced Wednesday morning the network will be terminating approximately 150 employees, bringing the total number of employees the network has let go in 2017 to about 250.

Of the latest round of layoffs, Skipper stated, "We appreciate their contributions, and will assist them as much as possible in this difficult moment with severance, a 2017 bonus, the continuation of health benefits and outplacement services."

The employees that were let go worked in "studio production, digital content, and technology."

A source will knowledge of the situation said the layoffs announced Wednesday are part of an effort to "consolidate resources" at the company.

Skipper said network plans to invest in way to "best position us to serve the modern sports fan and support the success of our business."

Story

zurg

Here's another idea, free of charge: don't mix sports and politics. And don't hire douchebags like Olberman.

BerkeleyUnderground

Several times I've posted here that because of watching financial markets for years, what you least expect to happen is actually, in my opinion, not really that rare or unusual.

And I would have thought that just about nothing could ever slow down the juggernaut I just imagined ESPN to be.

ThePatriot

Here's another idea, free of charge: don't mix sports and politics. And don't hire douchebags like Olberman.

Bingo.

If they want more layoffs, they just need to keep doing what they're doing.

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

When I was convalescing I watched a lot of ESPN, until I couldn't stand it. That's saying something really bad about your product--when people who HAVE nothing else to do can't stand to watch what you produce.

I used to like ESPN--before it got so touchy/feely/leftist.

Italian Biker

When I was convalescing I watched a lot of ESPN, until I couldn't stand it. That's saying something really bad about your product--when people who HAVE nothing else to do can't stand to watch what you produce.

I only watch ESPN if there is a specific event on that I can't get in any other way, but that hasn't happened in years. Years ago, they used to have hunting shows on and abruptly cancelled them. It could have been ratings, but the way the network has turned more and more liberal over the last 10 or so years, I wouldn't doubt if it was a decision made by some latte drinking, yuppie, vegan pu$$y PETAphile in an executive position.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

:yeahthat:

ESPN decided to go full libtard political a decade ago just like the NFL and the NBA and they're reaping their just rewards for their efforts.

Don't need 'em and don't want 'em or cable/satellite TV.

Their sports coverage has always been the very worst by far out of all networks by the fact that they usually cut away from a game that one has been watching for hours to show another game on the other side of the country in a different conference or a different sport.

Nobody likes investing hours of their time watching any game and is denied watching the frikkin' ending and not be pissed off about it?

It's usually because the game is a blow out, but when it's YOUR TEAM doing the winning it pisses anyone off to see it cut off of TV before it has ended!

And adding so many damned commercials that those exceed to amount of air time that the game is!

The producers at ESPN are idiots and they deserve to go broke!

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Bingo.

If they want more layoffs, they just need to keep doing what they're doing.

The same goes for all sports too, especially the NFL, NBA, and NASCAR.

They're all going broke and losing fans all 100% their own fault (the owners).

I only watch ESPN if there is a specific event on that I can't get in any other way, but that hasn't happened in years. Years ago, they used to have hunting shows on and abruptly cancelled them. It could have been ratings, but the way the network has turned more and more liberal over the last 10 or so years, I wouldn't doubt if it was a decision made by some latte drinking, yuppie, vegan pu$$y PETAphile in an executive position.

I miss TNN (the former The Nashville Network).

They always had great hunting, fishing and racing shows and coverage like no other!

It was bought out to shut down on purpose probably for UN Agenda 21 and turning the country into girly men wussies.

Hieronymous

Remember when they used to just show games?

BerkeleyUnderground

The college bowl season will be starting soon and just about all the games will air on ESPN.

And this coming Friday, I am looking forward to the Stanford vs. USC rematch for the Pac 12 championship on ESPN.

But, yeah, I'm not that much of a sports junkie considering how much playing sports as a young person I consumed so much of my time doing.

Edited by BerkeleyUnderground

Italian Biker

They always had great hunting, fishing and racing shows and coverage like no other!

It was bought out to shut down on purpose probably for UN Agenda 21 and turning the country into girly men wussies.

Though I hate country music, I would tune into watch Crook and Chase. Major high school celebrity crush on Lorianne Crook. I'd watch their hunting shows also. What is now the NBC Sports network used to be OLN(Outdoor Life Network), All sorts of outdoor shows, hunting, skiing, mountain biking, kayaking. It was a great network. Then it changed the name to Versus and got more spectator team sports oriented.

gravelrash

The college bowl season will be starting soon and just about all the games will air on ESPN.

And this coming Friday, I am looking forward to the Stanford vs. USC rematch for the Pac 12 championship on ESPN.

But, yeah, I'm not that much of a sports junkie considering how much playing sports as a young person I consumed so much of my time doing.

The only time I "watch" ESPN is when I'm out and it's on one of the TVs. I ask the waitress if they can change the channel every time.

College football should not be on Fridays. That's high school football night.

ESPN went full tilt when they gave a junior Senator from Kenya Indonesia Hawaii Connecticut Illinois a free campaign commercial before a Monday Night Football game. Speaking of, it looks like not only is the NFL going to extend Roger Goodell's contract, they are going to cave into the players' demands for a $100 million "social justice" slush fund.

I am not posting links to Barry Soetero's MNF self-aggrandizing or the player negotiations because they both make me sick.

Dutch13

Yeah...........because those types of shows are not available on 37 other channels.

Damn Matt Lauer and UN Agenda 21.

BTW, it was turned into Spike TV.........not quite the Hallmark Channel.

Edited by Dutch13

zurg

Boohoohoo, I'm sooo very sad! I can't stop crying? ESPN laying off 150? Sniff sniff booohooo.... why isn't it at least 300?

gravelrash

Boohoohoo, I'm sooo very sad! I can't stop crying? ESPN laying off 150? Sniff sniff booohooo.... why isn't it at least 300?

Because ESPN isn't Sparta!

MontyPython

I'm gonna lose a lotta sleep over this.

I really will.

No, really, I mean it.

C'mon, I'm serious!

*stamps foot*

Hey! Stop laughing!

:rant:

Ben Cranklin

The employees that were let go worked in "studio production, digital content, and technology."

That's a shame. Those weren't ESPN's on-air a-holes virtue signaling and pontificating on their knee during the national anthem "in solidarity" about things that have nothing to do with sports, those could well have been regular people with families trying to just do a job apolitically who are now out of work in time for the holidays.

MontyPython

That's a shame. Those weren't ESPN's on-air a-holes virtue signaling and pontificating on their knee during the national anthem "in solidarity" about things that have nothing to do with sports, those could well have been regular people with families trying to just do a job apolitically who are now out of work in time for the holidays.

Y'know what? That's an excellent point I admit I hadn't considered. No doubt many (if not most or even all) of these now-unemployed people had no involvement in the rancid "political" bent of the bigwigs at ESPN.

Taking that now into account I do feel bad for those who fit that description.

Edited by MontyPython