To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Gertie Keddle

Evergreen State’s student newspaper includes no-whites-allowed opinion

Rate this topic

baldeagle

Congressional Black Caucus; National Association for advancement of Colored People; Black Power; Black Panthers; Black Lives Matter; Could we ever tolerate such organizations for whites? Tell me again who are the racists!

ThePatriot

No, it’s mighty offensive. They could have had a ‘POC Voices’ without stating it this way. I don’t have a problem with a minority opinion section conceptually though.

Since the submissions are anonymous, I don’t see how it would be enforced anyway.

You don't "have a problem with a minority opinion section conceptually"? So then you don't have a problem with a "no blacks opinion section" conceptually, right?

Sure.

Sure you don't. :rolleyes:

Ladybird

You don't "have a problem with a minority opinion section conceptually"? So then you don't have a problem with a "no blacks opinion section" conceptually, right?

Sure.

Sure you don't. :rolleyes:

No I don’t. Do you have a problem with a Jewish opinion section or any other ethnicity? I asked this before and was ignored.

Ladybird

Congressional Black Caucus; National Association for advancement of Colored People; Black Power; Black Panthers; Black Lives Matter; Could we ever tolerate such organizations for whites? Tell me again who are the racists!

Do you know the origins of any of these organizations?

(I haven’t heard “Black Power” in decades and the original Panthers are long gone)

stick

No I don’t. Do you have a problem with a Jewish opinion section or any other ethnicity? I asked this before and was ignored.

As long as there is space and recognition for all other religions in your hypothetical, I have no problem. But I would like to see the types of "focus" areas be more generic, like "race issues section" or "religious issues section" or "gender issues section", that way ALL are welcome to participate. But I now know that I and people like this young, naive and ignorant "woker" think differently and I should probably yield to their knowledge and experience in life on matters like this.

<_<

ThePatriot

Yes! Yes, of course I do!

Does the paper serve the general population of students or is it solely for one particular group's consumption?

If it's for the general population, then having a "No Blacks Allowed" section comes across as rather racist, don't you think?!?!? :hairpull:

Buckwheat Jones

It would be wise not call any modern black Americans ‘colored’. My grandmother never stopped using the term, but she was born in the 1890’s. ‘People of color’, as I understand it, refers to anyone black, hispanic, Native American, Asians, and combinations thereof.

https://goo.gl/images/yodZLE

‘Students of Color Conference’

What is the difference? If you say colored people, and you are referring to anybody who isn’t Caucasian, how is that a problem for people who embrace the people of color thing?

Tea Party Hooligan

Judaism is a religion, not ethnicity. Same as muslim, christian, buddhist, etc.

Ladybird

Yes! Yes, of course I do!

Does the paper serve the general population of students or is it solely for one particular group's consumption?

If it's for the general population, then having a "No Blacks Allowed" section comes across as rather racist, don't you think?!?!? :hairpull:

I said the ‘no whites allowed’ proclamation was offensive, but that an ethnic oriented opinion section is not something I have a problem with.

ThePatriot

I said the ‘no whites allowed’ proclamation was offensive, but that an ethnic oriented opinion section is not something I have a problem with.

Please enlighten me as to the difference between a "No blacks allowed" policy, and a "No (pick-a-population-subgroup) allowed" policy.

LongKnife

How does an "ethnic oriented opinion section" not mean non-white? Or is white now recognized as an ethnicity?

Ladybird

How does an "ethnic oriented opinion section" not mean non-white? Or is white now recognized as an ethnicity?

White have ethnicities too.

But if you want to call it non-white or non majority, go ahead. If a newspaper or media outlet wants to give a voice to those who are not in the majority, and therefore have concerns and a perspective that is different from ones who have no shortage of outlets, that is fine with me.

ThePatriot

White have ethnicities too.

But if you want to call it non-white or non majority, go ahead. If a newspaper or media outlet wants to give a voice to those who are not in the majority, and therefore have concerns and a perspective that is different from ones who have no shortage of outlets, that is fine with me.

You support racist policies - got it.

Noclevermoniker

Don't forget the ever-present double standards, too.

stick

It's ok, I answered it and was ignored.

Ladybird

If the majority are already overwhelmingly represented, then how is giving a few 'others' a voice racist? Does having opinions from 'the differents' really threaten anyone? I agree, that the way the Evergreen students went about this is wrong, but blacks, Hispanics, or Asians having a forum, just like whites already have by virtue of their numbers is not racism.

Edited by Ladybird

gravelrash

I... nevermind, not going to even try to process that.

ThePatriot

If the majority are already overwhelmingly represented, then how is giving a few 'others' a voice racist? Does having opinions from 'the differents' really threaten anyone? I agree, that the way the Evergreen students went about this is wrong, but blacks, Hispanics, or Asians having a forum, just like whites already have by virtue of their numbers is not racism.

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

Excluding others based on their skin color is racist no matter who does it, but hey, you're a Democrat, the party of racists and baby murderers, so I'm really not surprised that you support this policy.

Ladybird

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

Excluding others based on their skin color is racist no matter who does it, but hey, you're a Democrat, the party of racists and baby murderers, so I'm really not surprised that you support this policy.

It's not excluding anyone, it is including other voices along with those of the majority.

ThePatriot

It's not excluding anyone, it is including other voices along with those of the majority.

Define "it's". Seems to me we're talking about a student newspaper that instituted a racist policy that excludes a specific group based on the color of their skin from commenting in an opinion section.

Did I miss something?

Buckwheat Jones

Well it certainly differentiates them, unless you consider whites to be “people of color” too. Then we are all just “people.”

But if you don’t, then “people of color” are segregating themselves. During my lifetime, I was taught to look past color so that I would treat everyone the same, or at least just on their merits. Now I am being told that I’m supposed to do the opposite. I wish somebody would make up their collective mind.

Ladybird

Define "it's". Seems to me we're talking about a student newspaper that instituted a racist policy that excludes a specific group based on the color of their skin from commenting in an opinion section.

Did I miss something?

Way up there I said I found what these students did offensive. I then stated that conceptually, I don't have problem with a publication also reserving some space for 'other', i.e., not 'the majority' voices. That's where we are.

ThePatriot

Way up there I said I found what these students did offensive. I then stated that conceptually, I don't have problem with a publication also reserving some space for 'other', i.e., not 'the majority' voices. That's where we are.

I got that - you're okay with excluding a group based on their skin color if they are the "majority" - and that's racist.