6-year graduation rates at many HBCUs lower than 20 percent

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

6-year graduation rates at many HBCUs lower than 20 percent

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

7:06 a.m. Monday, Jan. 29, 2018

ajc.com

<More Here>

In analyzing federal data for an in-depth examination of the nation’s historically black colleges and universities, the AJC found that the six-year graduation rates at 20 schools were 20 percent or lower in 2015. This means that four of five beginning freshmen at those schools didn’t earn a degree within six years. A handful of HBCUs are graduating more than 50 percent of new freshmen within six years. Spelman College in Atlanta, for example, led all HBCUs, with a rate of 76 percent. Others, however, are struggling. Here’s a sampling:

JOKjUVn0S2un1-OhLZxBhw.png

“Yes, there are some HBCUs that have low graduation rates,” said Marybeth Gasman, an education professor at the University of Pennsylvania who directs the Penn Center for Minority Serving Institutions, in an email to the AJC. “And some that are in the single digits. . . . This is problematic and a school must do better by having summer bridge programs, peer-to-peer mentoring, student success centers — all focused on increasing retention and graduation rates.”

(snip)

<More Here>

Edited by MTP Reggie

MTP Reggie

Whitey's fault.

Ladybird

Just FYI, Spelman, in addition to being an HBCU, is a women’s college. I wonder where Howard ranks?

Edited by Ladybird

Ladybird

Whitey's fault.

Says who? The article you posted didn’t make that claim. The graduation rate comparison was between various historically black colleges. The conclusions had more to do with social class than race:

“Graduation rates directly correlate with the income of the student body. More low income students — typically, lower graduation rates. Why? Because low-income students don’t have access to the same college prep opportunities and because they don’t have the financial safety nets of middle and upper income students. Please note that institutions that have very few Pell Grant-eligible students typically have very, very high graduation rates.”

MTP Reggie
Says who? The article you posted didn’t make that claim.

Someone undoubtedly will or has.

intotheblackhole

There is so much more to this story that isn't even touched on. The bottom line is that blacks have a severe image problem and it is an image problem of their own making. And that image is only getting worse.

- Blacks don't value education like other groups. There are tons of articles that try to blame this on every situation that even remotely affects blacks including climate change. But the reality is that blacks don't see the value in education which is often a self fulfilling prophecy.

- 72% of black kids are raised in single parent household compared to other groups in the 17-25% range (Asian and white).

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/jul/29/don-lemon/cnns-don-lemon-says-more-72-percent-african-americ/

- Blacks are 6 times more likely to be involved in violent crime than other groups.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/apr/02/sally-kohn/sally-kohn-white-men-69-percent-arrested-violent/

- Blacks are more likely to have half brothers and sisters than other groups by a factor of 3. The means the mother has multiple baby daddies. I could go on all day about how bad this is for kids growing up.

https://www.irp.wisc.edu/publications/fastfocus/pdfs/FF11-2011.pdf

- Blacks are more likely to have criminal records than other groups by a factor of 3.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/news/2012/03/13/11351/the-top-10-most-startling-facts-about-people-of-color-and-criminal-justice-in-the-united-states/ (this is an apologist web site trying to make it look like the system picks on blacks but it really shows that blacks just commit more crimes)

http://paa2011.princeton.edu/papers/111687

Dean Adam Smithee

Just FYI, Spelman, in addition to being an HBCU, is a women’s college. I wonder where Howard ranks?

59.3% according to this site.

BerkeleyUnderground

Why are there still HBCU's?

Ladybird

Why are there still HBCU's?

Why not? These are established institutions. There are still schools around that once excluded blacks, but don’t any longer.

BerkeleyUnderground

Why not? These are established institutions. There are still schools around that once excluded blacks, but don't any longer.

Yeah, I guess only the usual "victims" and whiners are the ones who also have the most trouble assimilating successfully into the larger already hugely successful society.

And I wonder how successful actual graduates of these mostly "segregated" schools end up being?

Ladybird

Yeah, I guess only the usual "victims" and whiners are the ones who also have the most trouble assimilating successfully into the larger already hugely successful society.

And I wonder how successful actual graduates of these mostly "segregated" schools end up being?

Do you have a problem with Chistian colleges or say, Yeshiva University. These schools came into existence because blacks were excluded from white schools.

Why don’t you ask Herman Cain. He graduated from Morehouse.

stick

Why not? These are established institutions. There are still schools around that once excluded blacks, but don’t any longer.

Just schools that exclude whites, though?

BerkeleyUnderground

Do you have a problem with Chistian colleges or say, Yeshiva University.

My point was about the usual victims and whiners not assimilating and I don't that think students at the institutions you mentioned have that problem.

MTP Reggie
Why don’t you ask Herman Cain. He graduated from Morehouse.

Every data set has a few outliers.

Ladybird

Just schools that exclude whites, though?

They don’t exclude whites. That is illegal. They are “historically” black, but have admitted whites for many decades now.

Ladybird

Every data set has a few outliers.

Do you, and a few others, feel threatened by any hint of success by young black Americans? Several of these schools have impressive graduation rates of varying degree, according to the link you posted. Howard U is also a medical school. My old Endocrinologist, Dr Schwartz, attened Howard. Spelman graduates go on to STEM studies at a rate of 35%, according to their website.

http://www.spelman.edu/academics/stem-at-spelman

There’s a chance your life might be saved by someone who attended one of these schools.

stick

They don’t exclude whites. That is illegal. They are “historically” black, but have admitted whites for many decades now.

But a white person has to "prove" they have something called a "convincing history" just to be considered for application that black people don't have to do. That seems a little...discriminatory, doesn't it?

Ladybird

But a white person has to "prove" they have something called a "convincing history" just to be considered for application that black people don't have to do. That seems a little...discriminatory, doesn't it?

Where did you learn of these requirements? Link please...

What a kicker. Are you really whining about an institution created to serve a population, that were denied an education otherwise?

MTP Reggie
Do you, and a few others, feel threatened by any hint of success by young black Americans?

Not a bit. I'm all for people of any race improving themselves. However, the black race in this country is generally content with the lives they have chosen for themselves. And in my opinion, it's not JUST the blacks. I would guess, at a minimum that a plurality of all Americans are content with their less than stellar choices they have made for themselves.

There’s a chance your life might be saved by someone who attended one of these schools.

And as I said, every data set has a few outliers.

BerkeleyUnderground

Howard U is also a medical school.

I may have posted this before and, if I did, it was a long time ago because that's when I read it, maybe 10 years ago.

It was an article in the "WSJ" discussing medical malpractice lawsuits and one of the stunning statistics they mentioned was that two medical schools had especially horrible malpractice lawsuit rates against their graduates, Howard, and another historically black medical school in TN, Meharry,

And I'm pretty sure the doctor Michael Jackson had when he died was a Meharry graduate.

Edited by BerkeleyUnderground

Ladybird

Not a bit. I'm all for people of any race improving themselves. However, the black race in this country is generally content with the lives they have chosen for themselves. And in my opinion, it's not JUST the blacks. I would guess, at a minimum that a plurality of all Americans are content with their less than stellar choices they have made for themselves.

And as I said, every data set has a few outliers.

So why are you putting down the students who are striving to improve themselves? The premise of the OP was comparing different historically black colleges and universities. The authors weren’t “blaming whitey” for anything.

MTP Reggie
So why are you putting down the students who are striving to improve themselves?

What's the title of the article?

The authors weren’t “blaming whitey” for anything.

My comment about whitey was an aside/tangent (and a little facetious - but I guarantee someone somewhere is making that claim).

I may have posted this before and, if I did, it was a long time ago because that's when I read it, maybe 10 years ago.

It was an article in the "WSJ" discussing medical malpractice lawsuits and one of the stunning statistics they mentioned was that two medical schools had especially horrible malpractice lawsuit rates against their graduates, Howard, and another historically black medical school in TN, Meharry,

And I'm pretty sure the doctor Michael Jackson had when he died was a Meharry graduate.

I should add I am vehemently against Affirmative Action...

Edited by MTP Reggie

stick

Where did you learn of these requirements? Link please...

What a kicker. Are you really whining about an institution created to serve a population, that were denied an education otherwise?

No, I just want to make sure the people that don't want racial discrimination aren't guilty of it themselves and are "okay with it" because it serves a "greater good".

I wonder what people would think if we referred to colleges as "Historically White Colleges and Universities" and then say, oh, but blacks are allowed to attend.

Doesn't that seem...against what we want to call our places of higher learning (such that they are)?

Edited by stick

Ladybird

No, I just want to make sure the people that don't want racial discrimination aren't guilty of it themselves and are "okay with it" because it serves a "greater good".

I wonder what people would think if we referred to colleges as "Historically White Colleges and Universities" and then say, oh, but blacks are allowed to attend.

Doesn't that seem...against what we want to call our places of higher learning (such that they are)?

Maybe we should call 'Ole Miss' and the University of Alabama, 'Historically white colleges'. I think the alumni would not wish to be reminded of this, but sure, go ahead.

Hieronymous

Stern?