To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
MTP Reggie

6-year graduation rates at many HBCUs lower than 20 percent

Rate this topic

Hieronymous

How does the process of accreditation work? Is any of it tied to some kind of graduation level? I would think at the very least, a school would look at numbers like that and say, we have to fix this, otherwise parents will see no reason to send their kids here.

Ladybird

How does the process of accreditation work? Is any of it tied to some kind of graduation level? I would think at the very least, a school would look at numbers like that and say, we have to fix this, otherwise parents will see no reason to send their kids here.

Which school are you talking about? Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark are all connected, but there are many more HBCU's out there.

If it's the failing schools, they might lose accreditation. It sounds like 'Arkansas Baptist college' should be on the chopping block. I found a list of unaccredited colleges and universities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unaccredited_institutions_of_higher_education

:)

gravelrash

Why is it taking six years to graduate in the first place?

JerryL

Just to be a bit contrarian, here is an alternate hypothesis.

HBCU's are maintaining education standards and not simply passing through students for attendance and participation (and tuition in the coffers) while HWhiteCU's are so wrapped up in political correctness and the "business" of higher education that keep passing students through to not offend anyone and to keep the $$ flowing.

Seriously, when you see the absolute idiots with ZERO capacity for independent or critical thought getting Ivy League degrees simply because they are favored minorities or spoiled rich kids whose parents are paying, that could be the case.

Hieronymous

Just to be a bit contrarian, here is an alternate hypothesis.

HBCU's are maintaining education standards and not simply passing through students for attendance and participation (and tuition in the coffers) while HWhiteCU's are so wrapped up in political correctness and the "business" of higher education that keep passing students through to not offend anyone and to keep the $$ flowing.

Seriously, when you see the absolute idiots with ZERO capacity for independent or critical thought getting Ivy League degrees simply because they are favored minorities or spoiled rich kids whose parents are paying, that could be the case.

That could be, and if so, it is good to see that not all colleges are about being diploma mills.

JerryL

That could be, and if so, it is good to see that not all colleges are about being diploma mills.

Diploma mills and indoctrination centers.

I have no idea if my alternate hypothesis is true or not. I just felt like posting something that didn't denigrate HBCUs as I know some really good and really smart people who went through a couple of them. I served in the Navy with quite a few from Prairie View A&M. Outstanding officers.

Ladybird

Diploma mills and indoctrination centers.

I have no idea if my alternate hypothesis is true or not. I just felt like posting something that didn't denigrate HBCUs as I know some really good and really smart people who went through a couple of them. I served in the Navy with quite a few from Prairie View A&M. Outstanding officers.

So do I. Many old friends, relatives, and colleagues I have known over the years attended HBCU's. These institutions are just like any other school. Kids might be let in the door, but still have to work hard to stay.

Ladybird

Why is it taking six years to graduate in the first place?

It took me 5 years to get a bachelor's. I worked 30 - 40 hours while attending junior college, so I could only manage 12 to 15 credits per semester. Also, I switched majors several times because, although learning is fun, I didn't know what I wanted to do.

JerryL

So do I. Many old friends, relatives, and colleagues I have known over the years attended HBCU's. These institutions are just like any other school. Kids might be let in the door, but still have to work hard to stay.

Well, I hope that is true and that is why so many of them are having low graduation rates.

I don't think that is true anymore in many of the prestigious Universities and pretty much any "Liberal Arts College." They are indoctrination centers where as long as you toe the ideological line, park your brain at the door, and either have parents paying the ridiculous tuitions, are willing to go into astronomic debt for a dubious degree, or are a member of a "protected group," you will get your diploma.

Dean Adam Smithee

Oh, that's a sticky wicket. And a good question Several answers:

The smart-ass answer is, find an accreditation body and hand them a biefcase full of cash. Or start one yourself. Smithee University for instance, of which I'm the Dean, is a charter member of the Georgia-Florida Association of Engineering, Divinity, Alchemy, and Burlesque Arts and Sciences®©TM.

The TECHNICAL answer is, it's often the class and/or the curriculum that's accredited rather than the school per se. By whatever the 'official' body for a given profession is.

In engineering, for instance, it's ABET accreditation that matters, *IF* you want to get a "Professional Engineer" (PE) license in many states. I'm a Florida PE, for instance but I'm grandfathered in from before FL required ABET to even take the PE test. As an Industrial Engineer (And a damned good one), that's not on ABET's list which recognizes only Civil, Mechanical, Electrical programs.

I don't KNOW it to be a fact, but I would presume this to be true for other professionals as well? Doctors? Lawyers? I dunno. Is ABA, AMA, whatever somehow also tied to accreditation? I dunno.

The GOVERNMENT answer is, Accreditation bodies must be "federally recognized" per 42 CFR 8.2 et seq. Okay, this gets back to my "smart-ass" answer: Briefcase full of cash.

Sucks that it is, but it IS.