Sign in to follow this  
Dean Adam Smithee

Multiple deaths in South Florida high school shooting

Rate this topic

Dean Adam Smithee

by David Fleshler, Aric Chokey, Lisa J. Huriash and Linda Trischitta

Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel

Multiple deaths were reported Wednesday as gunfire broke out at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, with the suspected shooter arrested near the school.

Coral Springs Mayor Skip Campbell, whose city contracts fire service in Parkland, confirms there were "multiple fatalities."

There were 14 victims, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office. The agency did not say how many were fatalities.

The suspect, a former student, was taken into custody off campus without incident, said Broward Sheriff Scott Israel. The suspect was both inside and outside the school building in the course of the shootings, the sheriff said.

A man in custody, wearing a red shirt, black pants and black boots, was seen being placed on a gurney. At 4:47 p.m. he was seen being wheeled in to Broward Health North hospital in Deerfield Beach.

FBI agents were on the scene interviewing students asking for anyone who saw the shooter.

Full Story

------------------------

Mrs. Smithee has a younger cousin with kids in that school. Just within the past 5 minutes we finally got confirmation they're okay.

This article says "A Man in custody". Local radio reports, as relayed by the cousin, said a "student". Same radio reports said two fatalities (so far).

Ladybird

Multiple deaths were reported Wednesday as gunfire broke out at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, with the suspected shooter arrested near the school.

Coral Springs Mayor Skip Campbell, whose city contracts fire service in Parkland, confirms there were "multiple fatalities."

There were 14 victims, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office. The agency did not say how many were fatalities.

The suspect, a former student, was taken into custody off campus without incident, said Broward Sheriff Scott Israel. The suspect was both inside and outside the school building in the course of the shootings, the sheriff said.

A man in custody, wearing a red shirt, black pants and black boots, was seen being placed on a gurney. At 4:47 p.m. he was seen being wheeled in to Broward Health North hospital in Deerfield Beach.

FBI agents were on the scene interviewing students asking for anyone who saw the shooter.

Full Story

------------------------

Mrs. Smithee has a younger cousin with kids in that school. Just within the past 5 minutes we finally got confirmation they're okay.

This article says "A Man in custody". Local radio reports, as relayed by the cousin, said a "student". Same radio reports said two fatalities (so far).

Glad your family is safe.

The report I saw said a former student, so it could be a grown man.

Ticked@TinselTown

Death toll is now at 17.

I honestly don't know what is in the mind of someone who does this.

My heart and prayers go to the families of everyone involved in this.

Gertie Keddle

ABC is already reporting that this is the 18th school shooting this year and that "mass shootings happen almost daily in the US."

Taggart Transcontinental

ABC is already reporting that this is the 18th school shooting this year and that "mass shootings happen almost daily in the US."

So we have had 18 school shootings? How many in DNC controlled cities? Probably 100% of them. Lets ban Democrats that way we can get some sanity back.

How many police station shootings have there been this year? Oh that would be ZERO the reason? We all have guns. The animals don't come near us.

Arm our schools.

Tabla_Man

Clearly it's sounding like this school missed clear warning signs with this kid for mental instability. I feel this is another situation where we will not see the forest for the trees when people are already starting the anti-gun narrative and not one person in the media is talking about mental heath issues, warning signs, and possible drug use. It's clear this kid threatened violence in the past, and it should have been handled then.

satellite66

Clearly it's sounding like this school missed clear warning signs with this kid for mental instability. I feel this is another situation where we will not see the forest for the trees when people are already starting the anti-gun narrative and not one person in the media is talking about mental heath issues, warning signs, and possible drug use. It's clear this kid threatened violence in the past, and it should have been handled then.

It's already starting Trump NRA common sense gun laws assault rifles have already been touted as problem in the media

zurg

Full Story

------------------------

One of my direct reports at the office almost had this turn catastrophic for him. Two of his three kids go there. His oldest (daughter) was supposed to be in the last period class where the shooting started. She left school early because she had an appointment. His son was in a classroom under lockdown, texting parents, scared.

We need better defense. Some button-push legislation ain't gonna change a damn thing.

BARman29

Thoughts and prayers for all the families.

intotheblackhole

It's clear the shooter didn't know the laws because he broke the law that forbids the carrying of firearms inside a school when there are students present. Had he known this law I am sure that he wouldn't have done this.

Oh and I forgot to add that he was carrying the guns illegally. Another law he didn't know about and if he did then he would not have done this.

I am sure that he was not aware that murder was against the law also. We have failed this kid because there were so many laws that he was probably not aware of that would have stopped all of this had he have known about those laws.

For those who don't understand sarcasm this was all sarcasm.

Criminals are people who ignore the laws which is what makes them criminals so laws don't work for them. For this reason laws will not protect us. In this case only superior firepower will protect us like a few teachers with guns and training on how to use them in close quarters combat.

Edited by intotheblackhole

ThePatriot

Perhaps if the teachers were armed, one of them could have ended it as fast as it started.

MontyPython

The "progressives" can't figure out why there are so many crazy people out there.

These are the folks who insist men should be OK in the same bathrooms/locker rooms with little girls. Who think "Father-Daughter dances" are discrimination. Who think college kids need "safe spaces" with teddy bears and hot cocoa and crayons if they hear somebody say "Trump" on campus. Who insist discipline in classrooms is "bullying" by teachers. Who insist blacks are all "victims" of white privilege. Who insist women are all "victims" of a male-dominated society. Who insist gays are all "victims" of straight people.

And on and on and on.....

But when one of the crazies finally cracks, it's the fault of guns/Trump/NRA/etc.

Morons.

<_<

Howsithangin

So sad

Censport

Do we know if he's recently been on anti-psychotic prescription meds?

Howsithangin

:yeahthat: :thumbsup:

zurg

Perhaps if the teachers were armed, one of them could have ended it as fast as it started.

Indeed.

Italian Biker

The report I saw said a former student, so it could be a grown man.

He's 19. He was expelled from this school. I'm not quite sure if it was this school year or last year. But from what I'd just read, other students discussed in the past that they thought he would the type to do this.

Ticked@TinselTown

Nicholas Cruz had a chip on his shoulder that he thought he could fix by shooting up the school...

that mindset just confounds me...

JerryL

The "progressives" can't figure out why there are so many crazy people out there.

These are the folks who insist men should be OK in the same bathrooms/locker rooms with little girls. Who think "Father-Daughter dances" are discrimination. Who think college kids need "safe spaces" with teddy bears and hot cocoa and crayons if they hear somebody say "Trump" on campus. Who insist discipline in classrooms is "bullying" by teachers. Who insist blacks are all "victims" of white privilege. Who insist women are all "victims" of a male-dominated society. Who insist gays are all "victims" of straight people.

But when one of the crazies finally cracks, it's the fault of guns/Trump/NRA/etc.

Morons.

<_<

Who believe that the traditional family of a father and a mother in a committed relationship is an aberration (and racist, and homophobic, and sexist...) and that all other "alternative" families are to be encouraged. Who believe that killing a child before it is born is AOK thus cheapening the value of human life.

Then you have all the narcissistic, Kardashian following, idiots who treat kids as a fashion accessory and raise them on TV, video games, iPhones and Ritalin.

As you said...Morons.

ETA: So glad Smithee and Zurg that your family and friends are safe.

Edited by JerryL

donsaliman

As horrifying as this mass shooting was and 17 people dead and I understand at least 5 are still fighting to live, this 19-year-old is a victim also.

I am not defending his acts but this 19-year-old had a mental problem and the authorities knowing his problem, threw him out of the school and he then went to another school, like that would solve his problems and change him.

He needed help and the authorities did not give him the help he needed and just threw the problem to another place to deal with him and they too failed to give him the help he needed.

From what I know now they said he on facebook wrote on what he might do and yet no one reported that.

I also want to know if the police knew about his problems

The signs on this 19-year-old was loud and clear and again I say he did not get the help he needed, for his safety and others.

I am not a professional expert and I do not have all the answers but I do know enough that he needed help, what help I don't know, for I am, not a trained professional as I said before but if I can see it, where were the experts, where were they?

This 19-year-old is not the first and am sad to say the last to commit mass murder.

Gun control is not the answer for we all know that laws no matter what they are, are meant to be broken.

Though gun control in cities like Chicago does not stop 12-year-olds and even younger from getting weapons.

Until we have a better system, people like this 19-year-old, who has mental problems, this problem will not go away.

I again say to you who blame the NRP and gun control, wake up and look further into why this happened and will happen, the problem is deeper than that, a lot different

Liz

Morons.

<_<

We'd be so much better off if more people were able to reason as you do.

pict

Did any other news happen anywhere yesterday, other than the nutter in Florida?

If there were other news, I sure haven't seen it.

Big Dave

Morons.

<_<

Exactly!

Ladybird

Do we know if he's recently been on anti-psychotic prescription meds?

He lost his mother just 3 months prior to this. Who knows? Just looking at him, he reminds me a lot of that Sandy Hook shooter. What many of these killers have in common is that they fetishized guns.

gravelrash

Thoughts for the victims, survivors, and their families.

Morons.

<_<

100% Agree.

He lost his mother just 3 months prior to this. Who knows? Just looking at him, he reminds me a lot of that Sandy Hook shooter. What many of these killers have in common is that they fetishized guns.

I know little about this latest shooter. Kids and young adults who commit mass school shootings seem to "fetishize guns". However, it also seems that many of them grow up in households that either do not properly teach them the purpose for and responsibilities of gun ownership or the parents are anti-gun. To these murderers, the gun is instant gratification to make revenge fantasies a reality. He could have just as well been a "gearhead" and plowed his '68 Chevelle through the school parking lot or courtyard.