To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Dean Adam Smithee

Multiple deaths in South Florida high school shooting

Rate this topic

oki

He lost his mother just 3 months prior to this. Who knows? Just looking at him, he reminds me a lot of that Sandy Hook shooter. What many of these killers have in common is that they fetishized guns.

Different killers have a variety of fetishes. The fact that he used a fire arm to an extent is of little consequence. You tell me, if he had used a car or truck and either pulled the fire alarm(which he actually did) and plowed through students who where outside would there be less dead and injured? Would the blood spilled be any less innocent or horrific? Would there be all the B.S. about banning this or banning that? How about if he had rented a moving truck and plowed through the crowd after a football game? For someone determined to carry out mass murder there are countless ways. But because guns are scary, and black Army looking guns are even more scary we should just ban them. That kind of mentality is a big part of the problem. You don't solve any problem by simply taking away the means. You solve it by dealing with the problem at it's roots, people. There where warning signs, there where facebook posts, peoples accounts you name it. But yet nothing was done. To be honest right know I wanna' puke, the young men and woman injured, scarred for life and dead, the families who have to deal with the pain and loss, the oncoming assault on gun rights. Right know, not only have I lost my appetite I honestly want to cry.

You can ban guns, regulate them, do what ever you want, this sh$t will continue but with other means because we have mentally defective people among us. We can talk about getting them help(which of coarse usually means trying to dope the crazy out of them) all we want. Truth is they must be taken of the street first THEN and ONLY WHEN we can find effective ways of making sure they are not a threat can they be returned to society. An object is nothing by itself, be it a gun, a car, an air plane, a knife, or even a rock. It's the person holding, driving or using it which determines how it's used. Until we as a society are willing to understand that some people are f'ng dangerous and should not be on the street nothing will change no matter what laws we pass, no matter how many rights are taken away, no matter how many 'wonder drugs' are shoved down our throats.

If we truly want to solve this problem it's going to mean understanding the problem is not guns, is not cars, is NOT OBJECTS, it's people.

Oki

Dutch13

He lost his mother just 3 months prior to this. Who knows? Just looking at him, he reminds me a lot of that Sandy Hook shooter. What many of these killers have in common is that they fetishized guns.

Guns have always existed.......but video games and the internet create a false reality.

I am a single dad and my brother in law convinced me to get a playstation to play online with friends of his. Santa Claus brings me the PS4 and the first game I start playing is called Fortnite. I have typically never played any video games while the kids are awake.....I would always play after my wife and kids were asleep. Now, after the kids go to bed, I have plenty of alone time to fill. While my brother in law was in town over Christmas, he played the game and my kids watched. They are now obsessed with being able to play Fortnite or watching me play it.

It is basically Hunger Games. 100 players parachute onto an island with an axe. You search for weapons, ammo, health, and building supplies to build protective forts. As time passes, the game forces all the players that haven't been "eliminated" into smaller sections of the island so you are forced to confront and eliminate the other players. The weapons available are sub-machine guns, pistols, revolvers, pump shotguns, tactical shotguns, AR (actually an M-16), SCAR, sniper rifles, crossbows, etc. In just the limited time they have watched it, my kids know all the guns on sight.

When we get home after school/work, they are asking if I am going to play Fortnite within the first 5 minutes of walking in the door. It IS a fun game, but my goodness, the obsession to see it is astonishing.....and my kids are both under 10 years old. There are supposedly 45 million people playing Fortnite (as of January 19th) and it is just one of hundreds of games. It is extremely fun to play. I will ride my exercise bike and play for an hour after the kids go to bed with a group of guys online (headset, microphone, the whole bit.....I used to make fun of them for how goofy it looks).

My point is, the generation of children in school has grown up with a completely unreal concept of shooting guns and an obsession to shoot guns. Many of them have no role model to teach them about guns and the schools complete abandonment of educating kids about weapon safety (I shot a bow during gym class when I was a kid) doesn't help matters.

Playstation and Xbox are fun toys......in moderation, but I wonder how many kids play it with no moderation, guidance, or real concept of what fast moving bullets really do.

On top of all that.......how has medicating an entire generation of kids worked out for us?

PS......ditto on Monty's post about the progressives nurturing the crazies.

Edited by Dutch13

Severian

And for the vast majority of kids, video games like that don't drive them over the edge. They are capable of realizing it's a game. The odd nutcase will seize on them, or anything, as a trigger.

Once again, if a few of the teachers/administrators of the school had been armed this would have had a different and less horrific ending. Imagine if the coach who bravely shielded the kids with his own body had been armed. Had been allowed to be armed.

No amount of laws, or gun free zone signs, will ever stop crazed people from doing things like this, but arming school staff is the only thing that will.

And once again, I would like to know what if any psych drugs this kid was on. The elephant in the room on too many of these kinds of things is what psycho-pharmaceuticals the person is on. I think these meds help many people but are over prescribed and not fully evaluated, and I think they make so much money for the drug companies, and they pay off politicians enough, it will never be properly evaluated.

gravelrash

My point is, the generation of children in school has grown up with a completely unreal concept of shooting guns and an obsession to shoot guns. Many of them have no role model to teach them about guns and the schools complete abandonment of educating kids about weapon safety (I shot a bow during gym class when I was a kid) doesn't help matters.

We shot bows on a school outing to a summer camp. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a classroom presentation on gun safety. I know... there have been incidents where the presenter has accidentally discharged his weapon. One infamous account was the cop who shot himself in the foot while holstering his sidearm. Still, you can teach gun safety without having live ammo in the building or letting the kids touch the weapon.

Kids are force-fed multiculturalism, political correctness, and psycho meds daily. If schools have time to do all of that, they can make time to teach students how "the other half lives". Which includes learning how to properly handle a firearm.

Taggart Transcontinental

Yeah they fetishized guns, that indicates they are a threat?

I own 17 firearms, by your definition I am a threat? Not likely. The weapon is a tool.

The name of the first dead has been released. He was a "security guard" the same way Barney Fife was a friggin cop. He had no means other than his body mass to stop anything. He did what he could and stopped a few bullets. If HE had been ARMED and TRAINED, he could have stopped that shooting in it's tracks. Yet because of idiotic policies by leftists in control of these schools he was about as useless as a wall.

ARM TRAINED PEOPLE in Schools and post a sign out front that says "HELL YES WE ARE A GUN FRIENDLY SCHOOL". Mass shootings will be stopped.

You never see a mass shooting at a police station, hmmmm I wonder why. Must be all those jail cells in there keeps the bad guys away.

Ladybird

Guns have always existed.......but video games and the internet create a false reality.

I am a single dad and my brother in law convinced me to get a playstation to play online with friends of his. Santa Claus brings me the PS4 and the first game I start playing is called Fortnite. I have typically never played any video games while the kids are awake.....I would always play after my wife and kids were asleep. Now, after the kids go to bed, I have plenty of alone time to fill. While my brother in law was in town over Christmas, he played the game and my kids watched. They are now obsessed with being able to play Fortnite or watching me play it.

It is basically Hunger Games. 100 players parachute onto an island with an axe. You search for weapons, ammo, health, and building supplies to build protective forts. As time passes, the game forces all the players that haven't been "eliminated" into smaller sections of the island so you are forced to confront and eliminate the other players. The weapons available are sub-machine guns, pistols, revolvers, pump shotguns, tactical shotguns, AR (actually an M-16), SCAR, sniper rifles, crossbows, etc. In just the limited time they have watched it, my kids know all the guns on sight.

When we get home after school/work, they are asking if I am going to play Fortnite within the first 5 minutes of walking in the door. It IS a fun game, but my goodness, the obsession to see it is astonishing.....and my kids are both under 10 years old. There are supposedly 45 million people playing Fortnite (as of January 19th) and it is just one of hundreds of games. It is extremely fun to play. I will ride my exercise bike and play for an hour after the kids go to bed with a group of guys online (headset, microphone, the whole bit.....I used to make fun of them for how goofy it looks).

Playstation and Xbox are fun toys......in moderation, but I wonder how many kids play it with no moderation, guidance, or real concept of what fast moving bullets really do.

On top of all that.......how has medicating an entire generation of kids worked out for us?

PS......ditto on Monty's post about the progressives nurturing the crazies.

I agree about the video games. This is not something my generation grew up with (we barely had TV), and I have heard the same from friends, especially with sons. They get obsessed with playing the game, and do it for long stretches.

I don’t understand what “nurturing of so called ‘crazies’” has to do with any of this.. Who are the crazies?

It was just 2 1/2 weeks ago a 15 year old shot up his school in Kentucky.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/one-dead-after-shooting-kentucky-high-school-multiple-victims-reported-n840171

This is not a crime relegated to big cities.

Taggart Transcontinental

Different killers have a variety of fetishes. The fact that he used a fire arm to an extent is of little consequence. You tell me, if he had used a car or truck and either pulled the fire alarm(which he actually did) and plowed through students who where outside would there be less dead and injured? Would the blood spilled be any less innocent or horrific? Would there be all the B.S. about banning this or banning that? How about if he had rented a moving truck and plowed through the crowd after a football game? For someone determined to carry out mass murder there are countless ways. But because guns are scary, and black Army looking guns are even more scary we should just ban them. That kind of mentality is a big part of the problem. You don't solve any problem by simply taking away the means. You solve it by dealing with the problem at it's roots, people. There where warning signs, there where facebook posts, peoples accounts you name it. But yet nothing was done. To be honest right know I wanna' puke, the young men and woman injured, scarred for life and dead, the families who have to deal with the pain and loss, the oncoming assault on gun rights. Right know, not only have I lost my appetite I honestly want to cry.

You can ban guns, regulate them, do what ever you want, this sh$t will continue but with other means because we have mentally defective people among us. We can talk about getting them help(which of coarse usually means trying to dope the crazy out of them) all we want. Truth is they must be taken of the street first THEN and ONLY WHEN we can find effective ways of making sure they are not a threat can they be returned to society. An object is nothing by itself, be it a gun, a car, an air plane, a knife, or even a rock. It's the person holding, driving or using it which determines how it's used. Until we as a society are willing to understand that some people are f'ng dangerous and should not be on the street nothing will change no matter what laws we pass, no matter how many rights are taken away, no matter how many 'wonder drugs' are shoved down our throats.

If we truly want to solve this problem it's going to mean understanding the problem is not guns, is not cars, is NOT OBJECTS, it's people.

Oki

You know why we didn't have massive killings in the 40's through 60's? We had nut houses where we kept insane people. That's illegal now.

Taggart Transcontinental

We shot bows on a school outing to a summer camp. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a classroom presentation on gun safety. I know... there have been incidents where the presenter has accidentally discharged his weapon. One infamous account was the cop who shot himself in the foot while holstering his sidearm. Still, you can teach gun safety without having live ammo in the building or letting the kids touch the weapon.

Kids are force-fed multiculturalism, political correctness, and psycho meds daily. If schools have time to do all of that, they can make time to teach students how "the other half lives". Which includes learning how to properly handle a firearm.

Jeraldo Rivera was screaming we need to ban AR style weapons. This moron does not realize his first amendment right of stupidity is only guaranteed by the Second amendment.

Secondly, this moron knows nothing of weapons. While an AR can lay down some shots quickly, any person with a pump shotgun firing 00 Buck shot (9 pellets per shot) would be more devastating in a hallway. Oh and they ARE used to hunt ducks. No one will get close, and you keep loading as you fire, shoot 2 load 2, pretty easy technique to master, and breach loading if you come up short and have to react quickly. 6 rounds in a standard shotgun = 54 pellets down range in short order. That's a magazine change in an AR, and that's only 6 pulls of the trigger, mix that with some slug and you really have a mess.

The point being people don't know crap about weapons. Being able to shoot fast means nothing if all you are doing is hitting a wall. Positive control of the weapon is everything.

Taggart Transcontinental

I agree about the video games. This is not something my generation grew up with (we barely had TV), and I have heard the same from friends, especially with sons. They get obsessed with playing the game, and do it for long stretches.

I don't understand what "nurturing of so called 'crazies'" has to do with any of this.. Who are the crazies?

It was just 2 1/2 weeks ago a 15 year old shot up his school in Kentucky.

https://www.nbcnews....eported-n840171

This is not a crime relegated to big cities.

This kid was a crazy. The other kids reported him, he was reported to the FBI for threats.

This is the problem. You are in denial, the warning signs were there. If investigated in their totality and a more lenient allowance for the local PD / SO to put someone like this in for a mental evaluation would solve a lot more of this than you can understand. I grew up in Compton, I seen monsters like this roaming the halls, they prey on other kids, and the cowardly school teachers do nothing to stop them because they are powerless to do so. This was in the 80's, it's much worse now.

Ladybird

This kid was a crazy. The other kids reported him, he was reported to the FBI for threats.

This is the problem. You are in denial, the warning signs were there. If investigated in their totality and a more lenient allowance for the local PD / SO to put someone like this in for a mental evaluation would solve a lot more of this than you can understand. I grew up in Compton, I seen monsters like this roaming the halls, they prey on other kids, and the cowardly school teachers do nothing to stop them because they are powerless to do so. This was in the 80's, it's much worse now.

I agree with putting someone away for an eval, but that’s usually only for 3 days, unless the person foaming at the mouth crazy. What good will that do if he then gets to go home to his cache of weapons?

oki

You know why we didn't have massive killings in the 40's through 60's? We had nut houses where we kept insane people. That's illegal now.

Exactly, if you where dangerous you were of the street, not coddled, doped up, and given free reign. The other irony is that prior to 68 or 69 no adult was restricted from purchasing or owning a firearm. Begs the question why didn't we have the mass carnage we do know? This is something the anti gun left just can't seem to answer.

Oki

oki

I agree with putting someone away for an eval, but that’s usually only for 3 days, unless the person foaming at the mouth crazy. What good will that do if he then gets to go home to his cache of weapons?

So if someone has made threats and those who know the person feel endangered then what? Stop fixating on taking away intimate objects. Be honest, do you think if he had 0 firearms he would not have found another way to kill just as many or more? Refusing to acknowledge that people intent on killing scores will find other ways is part of the problem as it focuses attention away from the root causes as well as solutions.

Oki

Dean Adam Smithee

Jeraldo Rivera was screaming we need to ban AR style weapons. This moron does not realize his first amendment right of stupidity is only guaranteed by the Second amendment.

Secondly, this moron knows nothing of weapons. While an AR can lay down some shots quickly, any person with a pump shotgun firing 00 Buck shot (9 pellets per shot) would be more devastating in a hallway. Oh and they ARE used to hunt ducks. No one will get close, and you keep loading as you fire, shoot 2 load 2, pretty easy technique to master, and breach loading if you come up short and have to react quickly. 6 rounds in a standard shotgun = 54 pellets down range in short order. That's a magazine change in an AR, and that's only 6 pulls of the trigger, mix that with some slug and you really have a mess.

The point being people don't know crap about weapons. Being able to shoot fast means nothing if all you are doing is hitting a wall. Positive control of the weapon is everything.

Indeed. A good tactical shotgun like the Remington 870 "streetsweeper"** can be far deadlier than an AR in close quarters.

Why, then, do people like this keep using ARs and AR-type weapons in these situations? I BLAME THE LEFT; they have SO demonized AR-type weapons that they've turned them into the go-to implement of those who chosse do do evil such as this.

EtA: ** = not to be confused the the now-defunct Armsel Striker also nicknamed the "Streetsweeper" and was one of those ideas that sound really good but was reportedly god-awful to fire and very unreliable.

Edited by Dean Adam Smithee

Dutch13

Oki

To me, I can't understand how or why a school or Parent Teacher Organization doesn't hire off duty law enforcement officers to patrol their hallways. Obviously, the money is an issue......but there are so many ways around that. How many kids are in a school? The parents could easily contribute to a school fund that could be paid directly to these officers. That money, like combat pay for the military, could be paid tax free.

For example, the schools in my state go for 180 days. Pay the officer $20-25 an hour, tax free......basically $160-200 per day for 180 days for a total of $29,000-36,000.

Anybody paying attention to WV politics might already know that the teacher's union is trying to get the teachers to go on an illegal strike over insurance and benefits....and they are blaming the republican legislature for not increasing health benefits. Nobody seems to remember that WV is a state that generated 75% of its revenue from coal.......and the previous democrat President did his best to kill coal AND drive up health care costs. So, right now is not best time to talk about incurring new costs in the school system..........but this is something that would be funded by parents or citizens directly to the school or Parent Teacher Organization (PTO or PTA) itself, bypassing the Board of Education budgets.

Dutch13

They teach sex education because "kids are going to have sex". Maybe they need to start teaching weapon safety......because kids are going to get guns illegally, just like they get drugs and alcohol illegally.

Ladybird

So if someone has made threats and those who know the person feel endangered then what? Stop fixating on taking away intimate objects. Be honest, do you think if he had 0 firearms he would not have found another way to kill just as many or more? Refusing to acknowledge that people intent on killing scores will find other ways is part of the problem as it focuses attention away from the root causes as well as solutions.

Oki

You don’t allow him access to firearms. Sure he can kill a few people with a knife or even more with a truck, but why make it easy on him?

Are you against taking weapons away from someone who is mentally ill and has made threats?

oki

You don’t allow him access to firearms. Sure he can kill a few people with a knife or even more with a truck, but why make it easy on him?

Are you against taking weapons away from someone who is mentally ill and has made threats?

You just defeated your own argument. If the goal is in fact to save life, then why allow access to anything which can be used to kill in mass?

What is easier to kill en mass with? A gun, or a vehicle? Come to think of it, if he didn't have a vehicle would he have even been able to get there?

Like I said, if you cannot get past blaming or believing that the problem is due to access to intimate objects nothing will change. Plus, tell me what magic beans law or method WILL ONLY remove the guns out of the hands of the mentally deranged and criminal element. I love the idea, but tell me how it can be done in a manner that leaves 0 chance for it's abuse by government or denies law abiding sane people a Constitutional right.

The only sure way to end crap like this is that when people are flagged and shown to be a danger the people who we pay a hell of a lot of money to, actually do their damned jobs and not worry about P.C., hurting peoples feelings and crap like that. AND, as I said stop this belief that the problem is tied to intimate objects which by themselves pose no danger. In the hands of a crazy a Truck is just as Dangerous as any firearm. This has been proven, but yet which one do you think should be regulated and banned if necessary. Think about it this way, how often do you hear about mass shootings in nations like Iraq or Afghanistan? Why is it so rare? On the other hand car bombings are pretty common aren't they? Ask yourself why one and not the other. It's relevant because it just goes to show that those who are intent on killing people simply shift tactics. They know if they started shooting at a public event or large gathering they themselves would be shot pretty damn quick.

Again, this is a perfect example of how tactics are simply changed to accomplish a sick and twisted goal.

Oki

oki

To me, I can't understand how or why a school or Parent Teacher Organization doesn't hire off duty law enforcement officers to patrol their hallways. Obviously, the money is an issue......but there are so many ways around that. How many kids are in a school? The parents could easily contribute to a school fund that could be paid directly to these officers. That money, like combat pay for the military, could be paid tax free.

For example, the schools in my state go for 180 days. Pay the officer $20-25 an hour, tax free......basically $160-200 per day for 180 days for a total of $29,000-36,000.

Anybody paying attention to WV politics might already know that the teacher's union is trying to get the teachers to go on an illegal strike over insurance and benefits....and they are blaming the republican legislature for not increasing health benefits. Nobody seems to remember that WV is a state that generated 75% of its revenue from coal.......and the previous democrat President did his best to kill coal AND drive up health care costs. So, right now is not best time to talk about incurring new costs in the school system..........but this is something that would be funded by parents or citizens directly to the school or Parent Teacher Organization (PTO or PTA) itself, bypassing the Board of Education budgets.

The fix is actually easier still, just ask for volunteers who are willing to go through specific training and requirements. Then again most Teachers Unions would ever agree to having any unpaid personal doing an important job. What really pi$$es me of is this is a problem which typically starts in the principals office and reaches up and past the damn superintendents. More worried about political correctness, lawsuits, and hurting feelings then actually keeping kids safe and teaching them. No gun laws are going to work if the people who are supposed to be keeping us safe and watching out for these animals won't even do their damn jobs. All the signs where there but yet they did nothing. At this point I just don't know what it's going to take anymore. In the past it was always about warning signs and watching out for this and that. F.F.S. if students and staff are reporting these 'kids', they are flagged, and nothing is done what the hell message does it send?

Oki

mjperry51

According to Buzzfeed he was reported to the MS FBI by a YouTuber on whose feed he had posted about instigating a school shooting massacre. FBI visited him and were supplied information about the postings. Nothing more until after the shooting yesterday.

This all happened in September of 2016 -- and we're all learning about what the leadership of the FBI were focused on more pressing "political" matters.

coffeenpc.gif

Coach

So long as the perps privacy is more important than the safety of those who live around him we will have these kinds of fiascoes. It was a common belief among the students that if there ever was a mass shooting this guy would be the one to do it. I will assure you that there are several members of the faculty and administration of this school who knew how dangerous he was but had no way to legally act on their knowledge.

Starting in the 1960's regulations and guidelines were implemented from the FEDS which restricted school personnel such as student Deans from keeping a discipline record on trouble makers year to year like a rap sheet. How many times did you hear the school system spokesman refuse to answer a question about this murderer in order to protect his privacy ?

There is a huge push to return voting and other civil rights to convicted felons across the country.

Video games, comic books, movies and the Second Amendment aren't the problem. The problem is that in the name of equality low life individuals have been elevated to special treatment.

Until we develop the intestinal fortitude to deal with evil with force evil will conquer.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Yeah they fetishized guns, that indicates they are a threat?

I own 17 firearms, by your definition I am a threat? Not likely. The weapon is a tool.

The name of the first dead has been released. He was a "security guard" the same way Barney Fife was a friggin cop. He had no means other than his body mass to stop anything. He did what he could and stopped a few bullets. If HE had been ARMED and TRAINED, he could have stopped that shooting in it's tracks. Yet because of idiotic policies by leftists in control of these schools he was about as useless as a wall.

ARM TRAINED PEOPLE in Schools and post a sign out front that says "HELL YES WE ARE A GUN FRIENDLY SCHOOL". Mass shootings will be stopped.

You never see a mass shooting at a police station, hmmmm I wonder why. Must be all those jail cells in there keeps the bad guys away.

:exactly:

And there were months of dozens of warnings about the perp and nobody did a damned thing about it.

Then as always the libtards wag their fingers at all gun owners to blame instead of those actually responsible.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger

DAMNED STRAIGHT!

Now they just let them run loose on the streets and hand them bottles of pills that make them even worse.

LOCK THEM UP IN A NUT HOUSE!

THEY ARE THE PROBLEM!

TAKE AWAY THEIR ACCESS TO VICTIMS!

Why is that so frikkin' hard to understand?

Liberals always want to let crazies roam free to prey uopn the innocents just like they do criminals!

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger

oki

THEY ARE THE PROBLEM!

Liberals always want to let crazies roam free to prey uopn the innocents just like they do criminals!

That's exactly it. If it was an access to guns issue, or even access to certain types of guns then why wasn't this a problem in the 50's,60's,70's?

After all, magazine fed 'rapid fire' rifles have been available since at least just after WWII. There are easy answers to solve this, just some people don't want to hear them. Take the sword away from the savage and it's try he may not stab you, but what about the led pipe, spear, knife, rope, bat, tree limb, piece of wire, or rock? No matter what you try to take away from him, no matter how many times you pat yourself on the back for making it harder for him to kill you, he is still a savage hell bent of finding a way to kill you. Instead of trying to take away everything from everyone he can use to kill you, maybe you should be trying to lock him up in a place where he can hurt no one, especially you.

Oki

That_Guy

THEY ARE THE PROBLEM!

Probably because law enforcement would need a legal justification for incarcerating that individual.

By contrast, it wouldn't have been nearly as difficult for a Republican-controlled Congress and a Republican President to simply renew the existing assault weapons ban in 2004.

Edited by That_Guy