To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Liz

FL School Shooting Survivor: CNN Told Me "I Needed To Stick To The

Rate this topic

Liz

FL School Shooting Survivor: CNN Told Me "I Needed To Stick To The Script"; They Scripted Entire Town Hall

RealClearPolitics

Posted By Ian Schwartz

On Date February 22, 2018

Excerpt:

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting survivor Colton Haab appeared on FOX News' Tucker Carlson Tonight to talk about his saga with CNN and how they "scripted" a question for him to use at Wednesday night's town hall event hosted by the network and moderated by CNN's Jake Tapper.

Haab, a JROTC member who helped shepherd students to safety, was approached by the network to ask a question at the town hall. Haab showed CNN what he wanted to say but said Carrie Stevenson, an executive producer at CNN, ultimately rejected it and instead after several conversations "scripted" a question for him.

"CNN had originally asked me to write a speech and questions and it ended up being all scripted," Haab said to a local news outlet Wednesday night.

"Before we get into anything. I just want to make sure that everybody hasn't forgotten why we are actually here tonight. I mean, we lost 17 lives last week. I actually physically put two to rest. To me, that was the hardest thing in the world to endure. Nobody should have to go through this. As long as we are taking the right steps to move forward from this and make sure this doesn't happen again, I'm all for that," Haab said on the Thursday broadcast of FOX News' Tucker Carlson Tonight.

"We certainly haven't forgotten. Thank you for reminding us yet again. And we think that the only way to make the country better and maybe put a dent in this scourge is to have a rational, thoughtful conversation about what to do next. And with that in mind, you were planning to go to this event last night and tell me if I am mischaracterizing any of this and you said at the request of a CNN producer you sent in a number of questions, -- statements, questions you wanted to ask of the politicians on the stage and they rewrote one of your questions? Is that right?" Carlson asked.

Haab told Carlson he wanted to go "speak [his] part" and "open eyes" to a few things he thought could make the situation better. Haab said the network was dishonest and that is why he decided not to attend. He also said he was directed to "stick to the script."

"She had actually said that over the phone that I needed to stick to the script," Haab said of the CNN producer.

Haab said he believed all the questions asked at the town hall were scripted. Haab explained in detail what happened between him and the cable news network and what he thought of the town hall.

*snip*

Full Story

MontyPython

There's no doubt whatsoever most (if not all) was scripted. I watched as much of it as I could stomach, which I admit wasn't the whole thing. That dog-and-pony show was so phony, so obviously scripted and coached, so obviously one-sided, so obviously misinformed, so obviously dishonest, I just couldn't force myself to sit through the entire fiasco.

I'd call the political left scumbags, but it would be unfairly insulting to scum and bags.

<_<

Liz

There's no doubt whatsoever most (if not all) was scripted. I watched as much of it as I could stomach, which I admit wasn't the whole thing. That dog-and-pony show was so phony, so obviously scripted and coached, so obviously one-sided, so obviously misinformed, so obviously dishonest, I just couldn't force myself to sit through the entire fiasco.

I'd call the political left scumbags, but it would be unfairly insulting to scum and bags.

<_<

Thanks again for taking one for the team. :P I can't even imagine being drunk/stoned enough to be able to watch that.

Severian

He should have agreed, then when it was his turn just ignored their instructions and said what he wanted.

Ladybird

Is he the only one claiming to have been given scripted questions? Many people spoke.

MontyPython

Is he the only one claiming to have been given scripted questions? Many people spoke.

My guess is that he's the only one who objected to being scripted.

Big difference.

B)

Severian

My guess is that he's the only one who objected to being scripted.

Big difference.

B)

Ding ding ding ding ding...we have a winner!

I had a good friend once that was obese and died of a heart attack. Damn Oneida to hell for making their evil assault forks!

MontyPython

It's another one of those sites that won't allow me to read without removing my "ad blocker", something that:

A - I have no clue how to do, and in any case:

B - Wouldn't do even if I knew how.

Can you summarize?

:confused:

Ladybird

It's another one of those sites that won't allow me to read without removing my "ad blocker", something that:

A - I have no clue how to do, and in any case:

B - Wouldn't do even if I knew how.

Can you summarize?

:confused:

ok, I'll just do it like normal.

Parkland shooting survivor's family shops doctored emails with CNN to media outlets

Feb. 23, 2018, 8:43 PM

The family of Colton Haab, a student at the Florida high school where a gunman killed 17 people last week, provided a doctored email to media outlets in order to defend Haab's claims that CNN rewrote a question for him to ask at the network's Wednesday town-hall-style event on school shootings.

Haab told the Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Thursday night that CNN executive producer Carrie Stevenson gave him a question to deliver to lawmakers and told him to "stick to the script."

But CNN says there is "absolutely no truth" to Colton's claims, which he first made on a Miami TV-news station.

"In my interview with CNN, I had talked about arming the teachers, if they were willing to arm themselves in the school, to carry on campus," Haab told Carlson. "And they had — she had taken that, of what I had briefed on, and actually wrote that question out for me."

CNN says that Stevenson and Colton agreed on one question that Colton would ask, but that Haab's father, Glenn Haab, intervened, sending a lengthy speech (see below) that he wanted Colton to read, which included three questions for lawmakers.

Stevenson responded that the speech was "way too long" and that Colton "needs to stick" to the question they agreed on. Glenn then responded that he and his son "are not actors" and that Colton would not participate in the town hall if he could not read the full speech.

On Friday afternoon, Fox News and the HuffPost reached out to CNN to verify emails between the Haabs and Stevenson that they received from Colton.

A CNN source provided Colton's version of the emails, as well as their versions of all of the communications between the Haabs and CNN, to Business Insider.

In CNN's version of one email, Stevenson told Glenn that Colton needed to stick to a question that he and Stevenson "discussed on the phone that he submitted." But in the version of the email provided by Colton to Fox and HuffPost, the phrase, "that he submitted" is deleted.

[i can't post the emails here]

<snip>

According to the metadata of the Word document containing the email that was provided to Fox, it appears that Glenn last edited it.

"It is unfortunate that an effort to discredit CNN and the town hall with doctored emails has taken any attention away from the purpose of the event," a CNN spokesman told Business Insider. "However, when presented with doctored email exchanges, we felt the need to set the record straight."

Glenn did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The CNN source told Business Insider that Stevenson talked with Colton on the phone after he submitted several questions to the network.

The two decided during the call that Colton would ask one question about training teachers and school staff to carry weapons, the source said. Colton had suggested in an interview with "Fox & Friends" on Tuesday that Aaron Feis, a football coach at the high school who was killed while protecting students, might have stopped the shooter had he been armed.

The source said the final version of the question was made up of the "the verbatim language" Colton used on "Fox & Friends" about Feis in addition to his question about training teachers to be armed, which appears in the email below.

<snip>

Link

So the boy was going to follow the same rules as all of the other participants, but his father wanted more. Too bad. Then dad got angry.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Parkland shooting survivor's family shops doctored emails with CNN to media outlets

The family of Colton Haab, a student at the Florida high school where a gunman killed 17 people last week, provided a doctored email to media outlets in order to defend Haab's claims that CNN rewrote a question for him to ask at the network's Wednesday town-hall-style event on school shootings.

Haab told the Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Thursday night that CNN executive producer Carrie Stevenson gave him a question to deliver to lawmakers and told him to "stick to the script."

But CNN says there is "absolutely no truth" to Colton's claims, which he first made on a Miami TV-news station.

"In my interview with CNN, I had talked about arming the teachers, if they were willing to arm themselves in the school, to carry on campus," Haab told Carlson. "And they had — she had taken that, of what I had briefed on, and actually wrote that question out for me."

CNN says that Stevenson and Colton agreed on one question that Colton would ask, but that Haab's father, Glenn Haab, intervened, sending a lengthy speech (see below) that he wanted Colton to read, which included three questions for lawmakers.

Stevenson responded that the speech was "way too long" and that Colton "needs to stick" to the question they agreed on. Glenn then responded that he and his son "are not actors" and that Colton would not participate in the town hall if he could not read the full speech.

On Friday afternoon, Fox News and the HuffPost reached out to CNN to verify emails between the Haabs and Stevenson that they received from Colton.

A CNN source provided Colton's version of the emails, as well as their versions of all of the communications between the Haabs and CNN, to Business Insider.

In CNN's version of one email, Stevenson told Glenn that Colton needed to stick to a question that he and Stevenson "discussed on the phone that he submitted." But in the version of the email provided by Colton to Fox and HuffPost, the phrase, "that he submitted" is deleted.

<snip>

According to the metadata of the Word document containing the email that was provided to Fox, it appears that Glenn last edited it.

"It is unfortunate that an effort to discredit CNN and the town hall with doctored emails has taken any attention away from the purpose of the event," a CNN spokesman told Business Insider. "However, when presented with doctored email exchanges, we felt the need to set the record straight."

The CNN source told Business Insider that Stevenson talked with Colton on the phone after he submitted several questions to the network.

The two decided during the call that Colton would ask one question about training teachers and school staff to carry weapons, the source said. Colton had suggested in an interview with "Fox & Friends" on Tuesday that Aaron Feis, a football coach at the high school who was killed while protecting students, might have stopped the shooter had he been armed.

The source said the final version of the question was made up of the "the verbatim language" Colton used on "Fox & Friends" about Feis in addition to his question about training teachers to be armed, which appears in the email below.

<snip>

Link

So the boy was going to follow the same rules as all of the other participants, but his father wanted more. Too bad. Then dad got angry.

I'm calling :bs: on this one.

CNN lies and lies and lies.

Anyone who believes or trusts them as a credible source and defends them is a gullible idiot.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger

MontyPython

<snip>

<snip>

Link

I see.

Well first, since I watch at least a few minutes of CNN every day, I've learned to accept nothing they say at face value. I'd need a lot of outside corroboration if they told me the sky was blue.

And second, it seems to boil down to the father's "speech" was something the kid agreed with, while the "script" CNN told him he had to "stick to" wasn't.

I can grasp the difference. Can you?

B)

Ladybird

I'm calling :bs: on this one.

CNN lies and lies and lies.

Anyone who believes or trusts them as a credible source and defends them is a gullible idiot.

This story is from Business Insider.

Ladybird

I see.

Well first, since I watch at least a few minutes of CNN every day, I've learned to accept nothing they say at face value. I'd need a lot of outside corroboration if they told me the sky was blue.

And second, it seems to boil down to the father's "speech" was something the kid agreed with, while the "script" CNN told him he had to "stick to" wasn't.

I can grasp the difference. Can you?

B)

The boy submitted a question himself, and discussed it with CNN. Dad came along and wanted much more, and when he didn't get what he wanted, he edited the original email to discredit CNN.

Original: "This is what Colton and I discussed on the phone THAT HE SUBMITTED."

Doctored: "This is what Colton and I discussed on the phone."

Father claims that the young man was given a scripted question to ask. Original email indicates that the young man came up with the question himself.

And then the president chimed in..

Edited by Ladybird

MontyPython

The boy himself says CNN rewrote his question, and then told him to stick to the script.

I'm not talking about anything the father said, or CNN said, or Business Insider. I'm talking about what the boy himself said (And yes, I was watching him being interviewed live when he said it. Were you?)

So......Are you calling him a liar?

Just curious.

B)

Ladybird

The boy himself says CNN rewrote his question, and then told him to stick to the script.

I'm not talking about anything the father said, or CNN said, or Business Insider. I'm talking about what the boy himself said (And yes, I was watching him being interviewed live when he said it. Were you?)

So......Are you calling him a liar?

Just curious.

B)

You really believe the kid is going to contradict his own father, after the father stuck his neck out? Why alter the email then?

MontyPython

You really believe the kid is going to contradict his own father, after the father stuck his neck out? Why alter the email then?

Sorry, when I read things like:

"CNN says that..."

"A CNN source provided..."

"In CNN's version of one email..."

"...an effort to discredit CNN and the town hall..."

"...the purpose of the event," a CNN spokesman told Business Insider...

"The CNN source told Business Insider..."

"The source said..."

And so forth, I just can't force myself to swallow it whole. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe CNN is completely changing their standard practice and for the first time in history they're telling the actual truth. Maybe.

All I know is that it would be an extraordinarily rare event from CNN. As I said, I watch that channel every day. I also watched the interview with Colton. I also watched a large portion of the "Townhall" dog-and-pony show. The whole thing was pathetically ignorant and misinformed, partisan, one-sided, and clearly at least partially scripted.

So if I have to "pick" which to believe, I'll go with Colton over CNN.

B)

Ticked@TinselTown

More spinning and flailing from Obtusistan.

Ladybird

Sorry, when I read things like:

"CNN says that..."

"A CNN source provided..."

"In CNN's version of one email..."

"...an effort to discredit CNN and the town hall..."

"...the purpose of the event," a CNN spokesman told Business Insider...

"The CNN source told Business Insider..."

"The source said..."

And so forth, I just can't force myself to swallow it whole. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe CNN is completely changing their standard practice and for the first time in history they're telling the actual truth. Maybe.

All I know is that it would be an extraordinarily rare event from CNN. As I said, I watch that channel every day. I also watched the interview with Colton. I also watched a large portion of the "Townhall" dog-and-pony show. The whole thing was pathetically ignorant and misinformed, partisan, one-sided, and clearly at least partially scripted.

So if I have to "pick" which to believe, I'll go with Colton over CNN.

B)

I think this is a stand up kid who was heroic in the face of danger, and would have been a welcome addition to the CNN forum, had his father not interfered.

RedSoloCup

Counterfeit

News

Network

Keep on circling that drain, asswipes!

zurg

I think this is a stand up kid who was heroic in the face of danger, and would have been a welcome addition to the CNN forum, had his father not interfered.

A lot of the problems with this school shooting have to do with democrat policies and leftwing attitudes, so I can understand CNN running cover for Broward County and I can understand the father getting upset about that.

Ladybird

The father has admitted changing the email from CNN, according to the news organization that shall not be named.

Taggart Transcontinental

The father has admitted changing the email from CNN, according to the news organization that shall not be named.

The father admitted to a cut and paste error, much like me or you cutting a comment and missing part of it. That could be an honest error on his part or it could be malicious. It's funny how quick you are to assume malicious intent in his but disregard all the malicious intent in the "error's" by the media in misquoting DJT or his allies.

Ladybird

The father admitted to a cut and paste error, much like me or you cutting a comment and missing part of it. That could be an honest error on his part or it could be malicious. It's funny how quick you are to assume malicious intent in his but disregard all the malicious intent in the "error's" by the media in misquoting DJT or his allies.

Oh please. He just happened to cut out the three words that changed the meaning of the phrase?

I hear there's a bridge at the end of Manhattan with a for sale sign.

This email that the dad shopped around as proof that CNN wanted the kid to read a script, was the basis for the tweeter in chief, once again, crying "Fake News!".

RedSoloCup

Oh please. He just happened to cut out the three words that changed the meaning of the phrase?

I hear there's a bridge at the end of Manhattan with a for sale sign.

This email that the dad shopped around as proof that CNN wanted the kid to read a script, was the basis for the tweeter in chief, once again, crying "Fake News!".

:yawn:

Get your TDS checked, pronto!

Edited by RedSoloCup