To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Coach

NRA Recruiting

Rate this topic

Severian

LOL

Me, if I could have one "magic wish", I'd like to have a Luger.

300px-Luger_P08_%286971793777%29.jpg

A couple of years ago my local shop had three WWII era 45s, a Luger, and, what interested me most, a broom handle Mauser, pre WWI. I lusted after that Mauser, handling it it was much better balanced than I thought, not nose heavy at all. None of these were inexpensive.

The pistol.

I have enough P38 can openers.

I don't yet have an example of every factory/year/variation of the Walther P-38. (but I'm working on it :lol: )

Never even held a P38, never known anyone who had one, have never even seen one in the flesh, and only one Luger (the aforementioned one). I've heard they shoot quite well though. But, you can never have enough P38 can openers though. My wive never understands why I reach for it over the more modern can opener all the time.

Still wish I'd have dug around for the money and bought that Mauser though.

MontyPython

A couple of years ago my local shop had three WWII era 45s, a Luger, and, what interested me most, a broom handle Mauser, pre WWI. I lusted after that Mauser, handling it it was much better balanced than I thought, not nose heavy at all. None of these were inexpensive.

Never even held a P38, never known anyone who had one, have never even seen one in the flesh, and only one Luger (the aforementioned one). I've heard they shoot quite well though. But, you can never have enough P38 can openers though. My wive never understands why I reach for it over the more modern can opener all the time.

Still wish I'd have dug around for the money and bought that Mauser though.

I knew a guy who had a broomhandle Mauser. And I mean a real one (in perfect working condition), not a re-make. And he had all the accessories too, like the wooden holster/shoulder-stock attachment and everything.

He offered to sell it to me...for thousands of dollars...plus one arm, one leg, my first-born child, etc etc etc...

Wish I'd been a millionaire. I'd have jumped on it in a hot New York second.

But I wasn't.

:confused:

Edited to add:

Mauser-C-96-Broomhandle-7-63-Cal-Pistol-w-Stock-Holster_100852459_61680_ADC29BB4849CDA49.jpg

Edited by MontyPython

SARGE

I knew a guy who had a broomhandle Mauser. And I mean a real one (in perfect working condition), not a re-make. And he had all the accessories too, like the wooden holster/shoulder-stock attachment and everything.

He offered to sell it to me...for thousands of dollars...plus one arm, one leg, my first-born child, etc etc etc...

But I wasn't.

Edited to add:

Mauser-C-96-Broomhandle-7-63-Cal-Pistol-w-Stock-Holster_100852459_61680_ADC29BB4849CDA49.jpg

It has been said that the Luger and the C96 Mauser are the sexy blondes you want to be seen with you at the club. The P38 Walther is the sturdy German house frau you want beside you when the schidt hits the fan.

• Disagree (-1) 1

Severian

But I wasn't.

Edited to add:

Be aware that if you actually attach that holster/stock to the pistol you're committing a felony violation of the NFA with regards to short barrelled rifles. Yes, it's asinine that using a 120 year old firearm in the manner it was designed for is a felony, but there it is. They had only the pistol at the place here, and wanted 1500 for it. It was an original, to this day I regret passing on it, but that year I bought as many guns as I could and stay married.

MontyPython

It has been said that the Luger and the C96 Mauser are the sexy blondes you want to be seen with you at the club. The P38 Walther is the sturdy German house frau you want beside you when the schidt hits the fan.

LOL

Never heard that one before.

Be aware that if you actually attach that holster/stock to the pistol you're committing a felony violation of the NFA with regards to short barrelled rifles. Yes, it's asinine that using a 120 year old firearm in the manner it was designed for is a felony, but there it is. They had only the pistol at the place here, and wanted 1500 for it. It was an original, to this day I regret passing on it, but that year I bought as many guns as I could and stay married.

In.Cred.I.Ble. Just goes to show the basic stupidity inherent in most gun-control laws. It's OK to put the gun in the wooden holster (as intended by the manufacturer), but not to attach the very same piece (as intended by the manufacturer.) Why is it that gun control laws are invariably written by those who know absolutely nothing about guns?

:hairpull:

scotsman

But I wasn't.

Edited to add:

A favourite of mine. Ever since I saw Oliver Reed use it in a classic 70s Brit film called Sitting Target.

110dd85d923d75d2f92af69b201e3afa.jpg

Best I can do here in the UK is either a real one, but deactivated OR, as I have, an .22 air pistol version.

Real (exc cond) ones are rare in the UK and easily go for £1000. Although battered looking ones can be as low as £500.

Mint condition replicas £400-500. Non mint £200-300.

Air pistol versions £100.

Edited by scotsman

Severian

In the first season of Penny Dreadful, which is set in Victorian London, Timothy Dalton's character, Sir Malcolm Murray, an African explorer (no he didn't shoot an elephant in his pajamas) uses a Mauser, which his armorer in London had gotten via a backchannel from Mauser, it was allegedly a prototype. The series is set a couple of years before the Mauser entered production, so it made a nice way to get the gun into the series to claim it was a prototype of dubious provenance.

The American sharpshooter in the show naturally uses a pair of Colt Peacemakers.

MontyPython

A favourite of mine. Ever since I saw Oliver Reed use it in a classic 70s Brit film called Sitting Target.

110dd85d923d75d2f92af69b201e3afa.jpg

Best I can do here in the UK is either a real one, but deactivated OR, as I have, an .22 air pistol version.

Real (exc cond) ones are rare in the UK and easily go for £1000. Although battered looking ones can be as low as £500.

Mint condition replicas £400-500. Non mint £200-300.

Air pistol versions £100.

I remember Clint Eastwood using one in "Joe Kidd":

joekidd390.jpg?1332378856

scotsman

I remember Clint Eastwood using one in "Joe Kidd":

Looks and sounds great on film:

Edited by scotsman

scotsman

But I wasn't.

Winston Churchill's weapon of choice during the Boer War.

Edited by scotsman

Noclevermoniker

LOL

Never heard that one before.

In.Cred.I.Ble. Just goes to show the basic stupidity inherent in most gun-control laws. It's OK to put the gun in the wooden holster (as intended by the manufacturer), but not to attach the very same piece (as intended by the manufacturer.) Why is it that gun control laws are invariably written by those who know absolutely nothing about guns?

:hairpull:

I think this would qualify under “Curio and Relic” classification and be exempt from SBR class.

MontyPython

Winston Churchill's weapon of choice during the Boer War.

Yup, I knew that!

I'm no history expert, but being a military history buff, that's something I already knew.

And by coincidence, I just earlier today was reading about the British disaster at Spion Kop during the Boer War.

I think this would qualify under “Curio and Relic” classification and be exempt from SBR class.

I wouldn't know one way or the other, never having owned any "curio" or "relic" firearms.

But my younger brother did! He used to have a 1912 (or thereabouts) Steyr 9mm that used stripper-clips.

310px-Steyr-Hahn_M1912.JPG

Edited by MontyPython