To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
BerkeleyUnderground

Did Anybody Watch the Oscars Last Night?

Rate this topic

firecoco

Viewership was an all time low for this years Oscars

Viewership for the Grammys was also at an all time low

Anyone seeing a pattern here?

scotsman

Yeah, I'm also glad that Gary Oldman won Best Actor.

And I don't want to discourage anyone from seeing these two WWII movies but I did think that they were kind of duds.

But that's just my opinion.

Noted. And completely disagreed with. Both imo are superb, esp Darkest Hour.

Curious why you thought they aren't much good. Too long?. Boring?. I know you are a film fan like me. Thought they'd be up your alley.

Edited by scotsman

scotsman

'Gary Oldman won the lead actor Oscar at the 90th annual Academy Awards Sunday night for his performance as Winston Churchill in Joe Wright’s “Darkest Hour.”

“I’ve lived in America for the longest time, and I am deeply grateful to her for the loves and the friendships I have made and — the many wonderful gifts it has given me. My home, my livelihood, my family, and now my Oscar,” Oldman said onstage while accepting the award.

In his speech, Oldman saluted Churchill, who he described as “marvelous company on what can be described as an incredible journey.”

He also thanked director Joe Wright, adding, “It only took 20 years for us to work together, but it was well worth the wait.”

Oldman concluded by acknowledging his mother, “who is older than the Oscar.”

“She is 99 years young, next birthday. And she’s watching the ceremony from the comfort of her sofa. I say to my mother, thank you for your love and support. Put the kettle on. I’m bringing Oscar home,” he said.'

---Variety

http://variety.com/2018/film/awards/gary-oldman-wins-oscar-best-actor-1202714605/

firecoco

'Gary Oldman won the lead actor Oscar at the 90th annual Academy Awards Sunday night for his performance as Winston Churchill in Joe Wright’s “Darkest Hour.”

“I’ve lived in America for the longest time, and I am deeply grateful to her for the loves and the friendships I have made and — the many wonderful gifts it has given me. My home, my livelihood, my family, and now my Oscar,” Oldman said onstage while accepting the award.

In his speech, Oldman saluted Churchill, who he described as “marvelous company on what can be described as an incredible journey.”

He also thanked director Joe Wright, adding, “It only took 20 years for us to work together, but it was well worth the wait.”

“She is 99 years young, next birthday. And she’s watching the ceremony from the comfort of her sofa. I say to my mother, thank you for your love and support. Put the kettle on. I’m bringing Oscar home,” he said.'

---Variety

http://variety.com/2018/film/awards/gary-oldman-wins-oscar-best-actor-1202714605/

He’s a great actor....Enough said

gravelrash

I had only watched for a couple of minutes as I was channel surfing.

I wanted to see if they were all wearing their lapel pins protesting against the NRA as they all had vowed to do.

I didn't see any one of them wearing any.

An American flag in safety orange. It should have been a pin with "Promise" and blood splatter on it.

Oathtaker

And what happened to "Elementary" on CBS?

I really liked that program.

It will return April 30th.

One of the few shows that is worth watching in my opinion.

Vandervecken
WGshL_.gif Edited by Vandervecken

BerkeleyUnderground

Noted. And completely disagreed with. Both imo are superb, esp Darkest Hour.

I'm glad you liked them and maybe most people will agree with you and that's also fine with me.

It's just my opinion that I was underwhelmed with them and maybe that's because my expectations were too high. But I don't want to discourage anyone from seeing these movies and maybe they'll really like them.

It will return April 30th.

One of the few shows that is worth watching in my opinion.

Thanks!

I will look forward to its return.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

An American flag in safety orange. It should have been a pin with "Promise" and blood splatter on it.

It should have said "This is a gun free zone, come on in! Attackers will not be harmed and their guns and the NRA will be blamed".

gravelrash

It should have said "This is a gun free zone, come on in! Attackers will not be harmed and their guns and the NRA will be blamed".

That's if the attackers were to make it past the 500 armed police and security guards protecting the pin-head pin-bearers.

MontyPython

---Variety

According to the Daily Wire, although Oldman's speech eventually produced applause, his opening remarks were met with stony silence:

Gary Oldman Thanks America In Front Of Hollywood. Their Response Is Amazing.

Hank Berrien

March 5, 2018

The Daily Wire

On Sunday night, protean actor Gary Oldman won his long-deserved Oscar, and promptly thanked America at the very beginning of his acceptance speech. Unlike other moments in his speech, which triggered applause, Oldman’s gracious display of gratitude to his adopted country was met with silence by the Hollywood crowd.

Oldman began, “My deepest thanks to the Academy and its members for this glorious prize. I owe this and so much more to so many. I’ve lived in America for the longest time and I’m deeply grateful to her for the loves and the friendships I have made and the many wonderful gifts it has given me: my home, my livelihood, my family, and now Oscar.”

Crickets.

Oldman continued, “The movies, such is their power, captivated a young man from south London, and gave him a dream,” then added a list of co-workers and producers whom he wanted to thank, which elicited applause at one point.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27836/gary-oldman-thanks-america-front-hollywood-their-hank-berrien

Also according to Daily Wire:

Leftist Journo Triggered After Gary Oldman Thanks 'Racist, War Criminal' Winston Churchill

He may have saved western civilization, but he's still problematic!

Emily Zanotti

March 5, 2018

The Daily Wire

A journalist for the U.K.'s Independent found himself seething Sunday night after Gary Oldman won the Oscar for Best Actor for his role as Winston Churchill in the film, "Darkest Hour," and had the nerve to thank Winston Churchill himself.

Immediately after Oldman left the stage, Ryan John Butcher, hopelessly triggered, expressed his frustration at Churchill, calling the man whose leadership in World War II likely helped to save western civilization, a "war criminal" and a "racist."

(Here there's a print of the Twit's Tweet, but I don't know how to post those. You can read it at the linked article)

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27856/leftist-journo-triggered-after-gary-oldman-thanks-emily-zanotti

zurg

He’s a great actor....Enough said

A truly great Hollywood actor is one who can pretend not to be a flaming proggy.

According to the Daily Wire, although Oldman's speech eventually produced applause, his opening remarks were met with stony silence:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27836/gary-oldman-thanks-america-front-hollywood-their-hank-berrien

Also according to Daily Wire:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27856/leftist-journo-triggered-after-gary-oldman-thanks-emily-zanotti

I could lie and say I'm surprised.

Ticked@TinselTown

Ha! I know what you mean, but I still watch it when it makes it to Netflix.

As for the Oscars, I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spork than watch that drivel.

So, instead, I watched more of season 5 of "Justified" on Amazon, and "Hap And Leonard" on Netflix.

Loved Justified!!! The last few episodes of that season got a bit much, and I hated the way things closed out, but there you go...

Have you watched Bosch on Amazon? Pretty good, I was surprised.

firecoco

Loved Justified!!! The last few episodes of that season got a bit much, and I hated the way things closed out, but there you go...

Is that Hierynmous Bosch the Detective?

I’ve read all those books and they are really good....I didn’t know there was a TV show

zurg

I didn't watch and if I hadn't listened to NPR this morning I'd know nothing about what was said.

But I did listen to NPR like I tend to do during my drive to work, because I want to hear some insanity and get some laughs. They didn't disappoint.

For the Oscars, they had this Mexican actor or producer on or something. He was saying, erase all lines in the sand, because we don't need boundaries and we must all be citizens of the world. Then right after he said, his Mexican heritage is really important. Really important. Then he had a little kid from the movie with him who said viva Mexico. Nice. Typical proggy insanity. One rule for me, other rules for you, white peoples.

gravelrash

I have two problems with Gary Oldman.

First is his role as Commissioner Gordon and Christian Bale as Batman. Brits as American heroes? We fought two wars to keep the them out of our country! Sarcasm to the humor-impaired and John Bulls and clan McCloud. Though Bale does tend to overplay. Michael Keaton is still the best Batman.

Second and picking, Oldman doesn't sound like Churchill in the previews. We have libraries of audio and film of Sir Winston's speeches and oratory. His voice is unique. At least in the previews, Oldman doesn't capture or come close to mimic.

At least in the previews. I enjoy Churchill's speeches and his "win or die" attitude. He lived a life of full spectrum. And probably would have finished the likes of Tony Blair with a swift cane to the inseam of the trousers.

Severian

No, but will have to take a look now that you mention it, thanks!

Ticked@TinselTown

Is that Hierynmous Bosch the Detective?

I’ve read all those books and they are really good....I didn’t know there was a TV show

YES! I had no idea what it was about but was binging on the Amazon Originals and I like Titus ( who plays Bosch ) because he seems pretty versatile and I was surprised at how much I liked the series. 3 seasons thus far and all free if you're a Prime member.

I especially liked it because he was named after the artist. Very few people name their kids ( or themselves :eyebrows: ) Hierynmous anymore.

Ticked@TinselTown

I have two problems with Gary Oldman.

First is his role as Commissioner Gordon and Christian Bale as Batman. Brits as American heroes? We fought two wars to keep the them out of our country! Sarcasm to the humor-impaired and John Bulls and clan McCloud. Though Bale does tend to overplay. Michael Keaton is still the best Batman.

Second and picking, Oldman doesn't sound like Churchill in the previews. We have libraries of audio and film of Sir Winston's speeches and oratory. His voice is unique. At least in the previews, Oldman doesn't capture or come close to mimic.

At least in the previews. I enjoy Churchill's speeches and his "win or die" attitude. He lived a life of full spectrum. And probably would have finished the likes of Tony Blair with a swift cane to the inseam of the trousers.

Churchill was 1/2 American on his mother's side.

firecoco

YES! I had no idea what it was about but was binging on the Amazon Originals and I like Titus ( who plays Bosch ) because he seems pretty versatile and I was surprised at how much I liked the series. 3 seasons thus far and all free if you're a Prime member.

I especially liked it because he was named after the artist. Very few people name their kids ( or themselves :eyebrows: ) Hierynmous anymore.

Have you seen some of Boschs paintings?

They are incredible and bizarre at the same time

MASH4077

I like the TV show "Castle" so I stopped watching it and began saving the recordings of it and last night I watched several episodes of it.

And what happened to "Elementary" on CBS?

I really liked that program.

[/quote

Season 6 starts April 30th. Love that show.

Edited by MASH4077

deener

I did some binge watching of an old TV show - Tour of Duty.

Deener

Kilmerfan

I watched the Steven Crowder Oscar show and read a comic about the Buddha.😁

intotheblackhole

I don't watch the liberal self admiration society that exists to to make themselves seem more significant than the actually are.

Ticked@TinselTown

Have you seen some of Boschs paintings?

They are incredible and bizarre at the same time

I have, discovered him as a kid thumbing through my dad's book collection on art and loved the bizarre things he created, which was what caught my attention about the show in the first place.