RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
BerkeleyUnderground

The Penn Law School Mob Scores a Victory

Rate this topic

BerkeleyUnderground

The Penn Law School Mob Scores a Victory

Wall Street Journal ^ | March 18, 2018 | Heather Mac Donald

The campus mob at the University of Pennsylvania Law School has scored a hit. Prof. Amy Wax will no longer be allowed to teach required first-year courses, the school's dean announced last week. Now the leader of Black Lives Matter Pennsylvania wants Ms. Wax's scalp. According to a weekend newspaper report, if she isn't fired within a week, "he plans to make things on the West Philadelphia campus very uncomfortable."

Ms. Wax's sin this time was to discuss publicly the negative consequences of affirmative action. Her punishment underscores again the dangers of speaking uncomfortable truths in a university setting.

The academic left has been gunning for Ms. Wax since last August, when she co-wrote a Philadelphia Inquirer op-ed calling for a return to the "bourgeois culture" of the 1950s. She was branded a white supremacist for advocating personal responsibility, even though the op-ed criticized "the single-parent, antisocial habits, prevalent among some working-class whites."

Half the Penn law faculty signed an open letter denouncing the op-ed. The dean, Ted Ruger, asked her to take a leave of absence and stop teaching her first-year course, Ms. Wax wrote last month in this newspaper. She declined his request. (The law school denied her account and said the discussion was merely "about the timing of a regularly-accrued sabbatical.")

The latest outrage arises from a web video Ms. Wax recorded in September with Glenn Loury, an economist at Brown University. Forty or so minutes in, the discussion turned to racial preferences. Mr. Loury noted that, on average, students admitted via preferences "are less academically qualified—by definition!" Ms. Wax brought up the "mismatch" effect: the idea that the so-called beneficiaries of preferences have difficulty competing with peers who were admitted without them. "Take Penn Law School, or some top 10 law school," Ms. Wax said.

(Excerpt) Read more at wsj.com .

BerkeleyUnderground

Larry Elder used to talk about this issue sometimes, that black students often times were admitted into programs which they weren't equipped to compete in.

Severian

The punishment for Thought Crime is always severe. As O'Brien said, the Party cares less about physical crime than Thought Crime.

MontyPython

The long-established trend continues: Telling the truth makes you persona non grata on campus.

Truth is much less important on campus than political correctness.

<_<

BerkeleyUnderground

This was years ago now on Rush Limbaugh and it's also if I am remembering what I thought I heard correctly.

But anyway, Rush came back from a break and said that an off the air caller said that he had been a classmate of Obama's at Harvard Law School and that Obama often times didn't show up for class.

Hmm, could there be different standards for students of color?

Edited by BerkeleyUnderground

Severian

The long-established trend continues: Telling the truth makes you persona non grata on campus.

Truth is much less important on campus than political correctness.

<_<

Tell me, Winston, how many fingers am I holding up?

MontyPython

Tell me, Winston, how many fingers am I holding up?

One thousand, nine hundred and eighty four.

Wow, that's a lot of fingers!

;)

Ladybird

This was years ago now on Rush Limbaugh and it's also if I am remembering what I thought I heard correctly.

But anyway, Rush came back from a break and said that an off the air caller said that he had been a classmate of Obama's at Harvard Law School and that Obama often times didn't show up for class.

Hmm, could there be different standards for students of color?

Which class and was attendance mandatory? At least half of my professors said, at the start of the semester, that they don’t take attendance because we are adults. If I turned in assignments on time and passed the midterm & final, I met the requirements.

This is the professor that claimed black students are never at or near the top of the class?

Edited by Ladybird

Tea Party Hooligan

Which class and was attendance mandatory? At least half of my professors said, at the start of the semester, that they don’t take attendance because we are adults. If I turned in assignments on time and passed the midterm & final, I met the requirements.

This is the professor that claimed black students are never at or near the top of the class?

Was she speaking in general terms or specifically in her classes? Does she have statistical data to back up her claim?

firecoco

Have you seen Obama’s grades from college?

Severian

Have you seen Obama’s grades from college?

They were so high they had to hide them lest mere mortals get depressed and stop even trying. Derp.

Ladybird

Was she speaking in general terms or specifically in her classes? Does she have statistical data to back up her claim?

No.

Severian

No.

And you know that how, exactly?

Howsithangin

Larry Elder used to talk about this issue sometimes, that black students often times were admitted into programs which they weren't equipped to compete in.

A fact that has been known for 40 years

And only approved opinions are allowed?

Ladybird

A fact that has been known for 40 years

And only approved opinions are allowed?

I was asked if there was statistical data.

I would not want her as an instructor, as she has a low opinion of black students in general, but she can say whatever she pleases. I don’t think they should get rid of her.

Howsithangin

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

--Orwell

Howsithangin

I was asked if there was statistical data.

I would not want her as an instructor, as she has a low opinion of black students in general, but she can say whatever she pleases. I don’t think they should get rid of her.

re: the underlined. Does she? Did she make disparaging remarks about the black race or simply point out the fallacy behind affirmative action?

Taggart Transcontinental

The SAT is still the best predictor of success for a student. If you have 1100 and you go to a school that admits 1100's you will be successful. If you go to a school that admits 1400's you will be challenged and may fail. That's the reality. Leftists hate reality when dogma is more important.

Natural Selection
I would not want her as an instructor, as she has a low opinion of black students in general...

You wouldn't want to prove her wrong? The black race in general would be much better off if they just proved everybody wrong...

Tea Party Hooligan

No.

How do you know?

Ladybird

You wouldn't want to prove her wrong? The black race in general would be much better off if they just proved everybody wrong...

Try to prove I’m one of ‘the good ones’? Nah. When I was a kid I made purposeful effort to do just that, and seeing the suprise on their faces was satisfying for a while. Then I learned it really doesn’t matter. If a professor or the hot dog vendor sees me as inferior, based on race, there is little I can do to change their minds. <censored> you very much, and have a nice day.

Natural Selection

Try to prove I’m one of ‘the good ones’? Nah.

If yours is the typical attitude then the perception of blacks in general will persist. The perceptions that people have of certain races can not be legislated away. They must be proven wrong on a regular basis. Then, as new generations come along, those perceptions will eventually be rejected because there's no evidence in real life to back it up. As it stands now, those perceptions are reinforced on a daily basis.

BerkeleyUnderground

Here's the lady who is upsetting the whiners and under achievers:

Amy Wax

Robert Mundheim Professor of Law

awax.jpgTelephone: 215.898.5638

Fax: 215.573.2025

Email: awax@law.upenn.edu

Curriculum Vitae (PDF)

Education

• J.D. - Columbia - '87
  • M.D. - Harvard Medical School - '81
  • B.S. - Yale - '75

Amy Wax's work addresses issues in social welfare law and policy as well as the relationship of the family, the workplace, and labor markets. By bringing to bear her training in biomedical sciences and appellate practice as well as her interest in economic analysis, Wax has developed a uniquely insightful approach to problems in her areas of expertise. Continue reading…