Sign in to follow this  
That_Guy

RedState Is No More

Rate this topic

That_Guy

RedState Is No More

by Erick Erickson

(too short to excerpt)

RedState's owners have engaged in a mass purge of talent.

When RedState started in 2004, it was about collaborating between all sides of the GOP and, after I took over, had a real grassroots focus. Since the Salem purchase of Eagle Publishing, the grassroots focus went away as did the community building aspect in favor of clickbait with analysis.

Thankfully, Salem is retaining some very good writers who have long been at RedState, but today engaged in a mass purge of most of the writers.

My understanding from the writers is that there were two contracts, one more expensive than the other. Most of those on the expensive contracts were tossed, though some very good ones will stay. Of those under the cheaper contracts, it seems the dividing line was loyalty to the President. In fact, among those under the expensive contracts, I'm aware of some writers having near equal traffic generation, and those insufficiently loyal to the President were fired.

This is not a surprise as the same thing appears to have happened in Salem's radio properties and one of its hosts has told me he felt he had to be quiet about his Trump criticisms on his national radio show.

It is unfortunate, but the reality is that Salem never had any idea what to do with RedState and it was very obvious. It is one of the many reasons I chose to retire from the site after a ten year run as editor. They've really stopped driving a conversation among conservatives in the past few years as they turned to clickbait and now will really just be a clickbait site it seems.

That is unfortunate. It is also one reason I wanted to start rebuilding a community here. Readers are welcome, and the RedState community is welcome. Anyone can create an account and start writing, and we hope our focus will be less on clickbait stories and more on a resurgent conservatism not tied to cults of personality.

LINK

zurg

....AND....?

Ladybird

Dissent = Disloyalty

E Van der Vliet

Probably had more to do with money than anything else. If the cash was flowing in, no issues. When the cash stops, big issues.

Erick Erickson was right to step away when he did.

Personally, I never liked thier format and did not frequent them.

Hope those were let go fall into a better place.

Dean Adam Smithee

When RedState started in 2004, it was about collaborating between all sides of the GOP and, after I took over, had a real grassroots focus. Since the Salem purchase of Eagle Publishing, the grassroots focus went away as did the community building aspect in favor of clickbait with analysis.

Um, NO, it wasn't. At least not the few times I visited the site in more recent years just before he quit. I got the distinct impression that the site might as well have been called erickerickson.com and it was made clear in no uncertain terms what the stance of the board was and who was in charge. "Conversation", such as it was, consisted of reading what Erickson and his cadre had to say and then going "Yeah, that".

Not that there's anything wrong with that. His site, his rules. But let's not make any pretense that it was anything even remotely approaching "collaborating between all sides of the GOP".

Dean Adam Smithee

Probably had more to do with money than anything else. If the cash was flowing in, no issues. When the cash stops, big issues.

Erick Erickson was right to step away when he did.

Personally, I never liked thier format and did not frequent them.

Hope those were let go fall into a better place.

I suspect that cash flow problem had a LOT to do with his hissy-fit over Trump in '15 and disinviting Trump from the Red State gathering in August '15. I get the impression that Erickson has always viewed himself as some sort of 'Kingmaker', saw his chance in '15, but when putsch came to shove all that was accomplished was driving RedState into irrelevancy. And then he was out mere months later. The timing between those two things is just too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence.

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

I was just reading diary posts on the site this morning. I can't find any notification of this on the actual site.

link to article

Ladybird

I was just reading diary posts on the site this morning. I can't find any notification of this on the actual site.

link to article

Just wow..

zurg

Dissent = Disloyalty

Disloyalty to whom?

Kilmerfan

No censorship, red state just sucks.

GrimV

Disloyalty to whom?

Trump. A number of contributors were critical of Trump, moreso than any other right leaning website (HotAir, Townhall, etc).

zurg

Trump. A number of contributors were critical of Trump, moreso than any other right leaning website (HotAir, Townhall, etc).

And who fired them?

MontyPython

Dissent = Disloyalty

I just can't help laughing at the irony here...

:giggle:

GrimV

And who fired them?

Is this the part of the conversation where you build a Strawman Argument and claim "Red State has every right to fire writers", even though I never mentioned anything about a private company's right to hire and fire who ever they wish?

You asked a question and I answered. If you were curious about a person's belief vis-a-vis a company's hiring and firing rights you should've asked *that* question.

Buckwheat Jones

I just can't help laughing at the irony here...

:giggle:

On any given college campus on any given day.

zurg

Is this the part of the conversation where you build a Strawman Argument and claim "Red State has every right to fire writers", even though I never mentioned anything about a private company's right to hire and fire who ever they wish?

You asked a question and I answered. If you were curious about a person's belief vis-a-vis a company's hiring and firing rights you should've asked *that* question.

Is this where you write an essay instead of saying "I'm not going to answer your question"?

Kilmerfan

This was just posted on RedState by our own, Rightnation, SusieQ

Maybe Eric Erickson left, but the site lives on?

Eric is a legend in his own mind.

Dean Adam Smithee

And who fired them?

Probably whomever at parent company Salem Media realized that RedState couldn't afford that amount of staff with their revenues tanking.

From a month ago:

Salem Media beats on profits with help of expense cuts

Mar. 15, 2018 7:28 PM ET|About: Salem Media Group, Inc (SALM)|By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

•  

• Salem Media (NASDAQ:SALM) beat profit expectations even as revenues shrank slightly in its Q4 earnings.

• The company cut operating expenses by 6.8% to $62.7M, and raised operating income 31% to $4.5M.

• Adjusted EBITDA fell 12.6% to $13.3M but beat an expected $10.5M.

• Revenue breakout: Net broadcast revenue, $50.7M
    (down 2.9%)
    ; Digital media, $11.1M
    (down 12.8%)
    ; Publishing, $5.4M
    (down 5.8%)

And here's the money shot:

Cash from operations was down 82.5% to $2.2M.

For Q1, it's guiding to revenue of $63.05M-$64.35M (below consensus for $66.9M).

Source too short to excerpt.

-------------------

So, their operating income (revenue minus expenses) is dangerously low; They've propped up the numbers to look good for investors by spending down 82% of their cash-on-hand to where they now have - assuming revenue stays constant to at least keep up with expenses - they have a "cushion" of only about two weeks operating expenses as cash-on-hand.

MAN, that's a dangerously weak position.

As a small-biz owner, I was just about there in 2010 when the '08 collapse finally caught up with our booked work. As the "owner", I essentially worked 2010 for free living off savings just to not have to miss payroll which is the death knell for ANY business. Seems like Salem is just about there as well.

On the bright side, the whole experience taught me 20 different way to make Ramen Noodles edible.

EtA: They cut expenses 6.8 and raised income 31%. That's a good thing, up to a point. It mean's there's "Dead Wood" that isn't producing. And if they have to "stabilize": then it's a necessity. Problem comes when you have to sacrifice Tomorrow to get through Today, by sacrificing up-and-coming talent that isn't (yet) producing but will be. Yeah, well, sometimes you have to do THAT too.

EtA II: This is the point where, if *I* were Erickson, I'd put in a bid to buy back my former site. Just for the "bragging rights". Turn it around; prove that it was Salem's fault rather than your own that it went under. That he hasn't, says much.

Edited by Dean Adam Smithee

GrimV

Is this where you write an essay instead of saying "I'm not going to answer your question"?

You asked this question: "Disloyalty to whom?"

I answered the question you asked.

Now that you got your answer you wanna turn it into something else. In fact, let's cut out the chaff and follow the true trajectory of this discussion:

You: "Disloyal to whom?"

Me: "Trump".

You: "So you're saying Red State has no right fire their employees?"

See? A perfect example of a Strawman Argument, also known as "giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent".

At no point did I ever say Red State had no right to hire and fire whoever they want, but you had other intentions. Possibly as a means of diverting attention away from this fact: People on the Right critical of Trump are losing their livelihood.

Y'know, I'm old enough to remember when folks on the Right were critical of absolute conformity and Virtue Signaling Tribalism.

MontyPython

On any given college campus on any given day.

And right here at RN too.

:coolshades:

RedSoloCup

....AND....?

The OP's standard M.O.

To troll.

:yeahthat:

Dean Adam Smithee

Yup.

Being temporarily exiled to Atlanta, I sometimes catch him about 5-PM-ish on WSB Radio (95.5 FM, 850 AM). I WILL say that I agree with him maybe 80-90%-ish. But there's that OTHER percent where's he just so full of himself that it makes me want to switch over to NPR (90.1 FM Atlanta, 90.7 FM Orlando) Of course, there's only so much of THAT that I can take, so eventually I switch back. Until next time.

Edited by Dean Adam Smithee

Severian

Yup.

Being temporarily exiled to Atlanta, I sometimes catch him about 5-PM-ish on WSB Radio (95.5 FM, 850 AM). I WILL say that I agree with him maybe 80-90%-ish. But there's that OTHER percent where's he just so full of himself that it makes me want to switch over to NPR (90.1 FM Atlanta, 90.7 FM Orlando) Of course, there's only so much of THAT that I can take, so eventually I switch back. Until next time.

No kidding about NPR. Back when I worked for a living I set my clock radio to NPR, knowing that no matter how sleepy I was sooner or later their news coverage would say something so inane and dishonest it’d piss me off enough that I’d wake up and turn it off, too wound up to go back to sleep.

Dean Adam Smithee

No kidding about NPR. Back when I worked for a living I set my clock radio to NPR, knowing that no matter how sleepy I was sooner or later their news coverage would say something so inane and dishonest it’d piss me off enough that I’d wake up and turn it off, too wound up to go back to sleep.

I agree with the Talking Heads on WSB-ATL Maybe 90% of the time. I agree with the talking heads on NPR maybe 10% It rounds out to a nice even 100%. :)