To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
That_Guy

RedState Is No More

Rate this topic

MontyPython

No kidding about NPR. Back when I worked for a living I set my clock radio to NPR, knowing that no matter how sleepy I was sooner or later their news coverage would say something so inane and dishonest it’d piss me off enough that I’d wake up and turn it off, too wound up to go back to sleep.

LOL. I did something similar, but it was music, not news. I'd deliberately set the clock radio on a station that played disco (or in later years, rap or hip hop), knowing that I couldn't just lay there and ignore anything I despised so much. PLUS I had the clock radio set on a table I couldn't reach from the bed. I had to actually get up and walk across the room to turn it off. By that time I was awake enough to get on with my day.

B)

Severian

LOL. I did something similar, but it was music, not news. I'd deliberately set the clock radio on a station that played disco (or in later years, rap or hip hop), knowing that I couldn't just lay there and ignore anything I despised so much. PLUS I had the clock radio set on a table I couldn't reach from the bed. I had to actually get up and walk across the room to turn it off. By that time I was awake enough to get on with my day.

B)

Great minds think alike. I used to use my stereo to wake me up, I had speakers in every room wired in. I had to get up and go all the way to the living room to turn it off.

MontyPython

Great minds think alike. I used to use my stereo to wake me up, I had speakers in every room wired in. I had to get up and go all the way to the living room to turn it off.

:2up:

usapatriot

I used to visit redstate.com daily all they way up until Trump won the primary. I was not a Trump fan (my guy was Cruz) and they had articles that seriously questioned his sincerity of being a conservative and doing what he said he was going to do. But, after he won the primary and was the GOP candidate, they had article after article that they were "Never Trumpers" and Crooked Hildibeast would be a better choice for president (they didn't say "vote for Hildibeast", but they just said they and everyone else shouldn't vote for Trump, which MEANS Hildibeast gets elected!). WHAT??!!? When they crossed that lined, I said "good-bye", because only an deranged idiot would want the Hildibeast as president over Trump. Once every 2-3 weeks since the election, I would pull up the website to see if they stopped being "Never Trumpers" particularly when Trump did something good. Unfortunately, all I saw was article after article attacking Trump. If that was what I was looking for, I can get they all day long on liberal, "main stream" websites. So, as many other people have stated on this thread, it all came down to money. People like me weren't visiting their website and they finally figured out why...get rid of the deranged never trumpers and hope they can get the traffic back.

Bookdoc

I used to visit redstate.com daily all they way up until Trump won the primary. I was not a Trump fan (my guy was Cruz) and they had articles that seriously questioned his sincerity of being a conservative and doing what he said he was going to do. But, after he won the primary and was the GOP candidate, they had article after article that they were "Never Trumpers" and Crooked Hildibeast would be a better choice for president (they didn't say "vote for Hildibeast", but they just said they and everyone else shouldn't vote for Trump, which MEANS Hildibeast gets elected!). WHAT??!!? When they crossed that lined, I said "good-bye", because only an deranged idiot would want the Hildibeast as president over Trump. Once every 2-3 weeks since the election, I would pull up the website to see if they stopped being "Never Trumpers" particularly when Trump did something good. Unfortunately, all I saw was article after article attacking Trump. If that was what I was looking for, I can get they all day long on liberal, "main stream" websites. So, as many other people have stated on this thread, it all came down to money. People like me weren't visiting their website and they finally figured out why...get rid of the deranged never trumpers and hope they can get the traffic back.

Trump's election has really shown who the "conservatives" really were. They were people perfectly happy with dimocrats running the country into the ground as long as they could raise a lot of money, write scathing articles, and sit around on tv/radio expressing their "brilliant" views. They were more than happy to support any republican who'd lose to the hildebeast (jeb!)so their little sinecure stayed safe. Trump messed up their little setup and they still resent it.

jr_tex

Disloyalty to whom?

President Trump. They were so anti-Trump I stopped going to their site.

Trump's election has really shown who the "conservatives" really were. They were people perfectly happy with dimocrats running the country into the ground as long as they could raise a lot of money, write scathing articles, and sit around on tv/radio expressing their "brilliant" views. They were more than happy to support any republican who'd lose to the hildebeast (jeb!)so their little sinecure stayed safe. Trump messed up their little setup and they still resent it.

:yeahthat:

RedSoloCup

Trump's election showed who one's "friends and enemies" were.

Oathtaker

President Trump. They were so anti-Trump I stopped going to their site.

Was it really disloyalty as much as the level of anti-Trump vitriol being completely off putting?

Red State was bought by Salem, they are a business. When people stopped going to Red State, you, me, almost everyone, the revenue took a hit.

They fired the highest paid including the author of the original article.

There are still anti-Trump people there, they have probably been told to tone it down a bit with the vitriol.

It’s simple economics, if you drive your customers away you lose money and in the end the business founders.

Erickson has his own revenge site where the mouth foaming and vitriol can continue, unlike liberal businesses Failbook comes to mind, he has not been silenced. Alternatively, the consumer public basically voted him and his cohort “off the island”.

kestrel

zurg

You asked this question: "Disloyalty to whom?"

I answered the question you asked.

Now that you got your answer you wanna turn it into something else. In fact, let's cut out the chaff and follow the true trajectory of this discussion:

You: "Disloyal to whom?"

Me: "Trump".

You: "So you're saying Red State has no right fire their employees?"

See? A perfect example of a Strawman Argument, also known as "giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent".

At no point did I ever say Red State had no right to hire and fire whoever they want, but you had other intentions. Possibly as a means of diverting attention away from this fact: People on the Right critical of Trump are losing their livelihood.

Y'know, I'm old enough to remember when folks on the Right were critical of absolute conformity and Virtue Signaling Tribalism.

Except, I didn't ask the second question you claim I asked.

Why do you put words in my keyboard? You have no right to do that without being called out!!!!

I asked two questions. You answered the first one and went off on a tangent on the second one.

Edited by zurg

Dean Adam Smithee

Was it really disloyalty as much as the level of anti-Trump vitriol being completely off putting?

Red State was bought by Salem, they are a business. When people stopped going to Red State, you, me, almost everyone, the revenue took a hit.

They fired the highest paid including the author of the original article.

There are still anti-Trump people there, they have probably been told to tone it down a bit with the vitriol.

It’s simple economics, if you drive your customers away you lose money and in the end the business founders.

Erickson has his own revenge site where the mouth foaming and vitriol can continue, unlike liberal businesses Failbook comes to mind, he has not been silenced. Alternatively, the consumer public basically voted him and his cohort “off the island”.

Yup. Simple Economics. Although RedState was originally founded as a 527 "Political Organization" (Originally as redstate.org), at some point they became for-profit (and are now RedState.com). They HAD to have; I don't believe it's legal for a for-profit like Salem to "own" a 527.

A for-profit site lives or dies on either paid memberships or ad revenue. Just as TV stations vary their ad rates based on a show's "Nielson" rating, and Radio station do the same with "Arbitron" ratings (tho Arbitron and Nielson are now the same company), the equivalent for web sites is their 'Alexa' score.

Here's RedState's:

11giusw.png

And, of course you ask, "Well, what about US here at RN?.

Alexa only tracks to top 1M sites worldwide; We dropped off the radar around Oct '17:

25sbygg.png

Given the rancor in today's political climate, maybe that's a GOOD thing to be off the radar; We're less a target for paid trolls.

Still, though:

hwjnkw.png

What the "bounce rate" means is that 42% left before getting past the first page... But that 58% didn't.

That's good. That's very very good.

Edited by Dean Adam Smithee

Jax

It’s only mostly dead.

Well, really not even mostly.

Erick left the site in 2015 so has nothing to do with the current personnel shake up other than knowing many of the writers and having a (fairly understandable) opinion on the goings on.

Friday was a gut punch. But the site is still up and running. And most of the remaining writers are/were NeverTrump or TrumpSkeptic. It’s true that some of his most vocal critics were among those let go.

MontyPython

It’s only mostly dead.

Well, really not even mostly.

Erick left the site in 2015 so has nothing to do with the current personnel shake up other than knowing many of the writers and having a (fairly understandable) opinion on the goings on.

Friday was a gut punch. But the site is still up and running. And most of the remaining writers are/were NeverTrump or TrumpSkeptic. It’s true that some of his most vocal critics were among those let go.

Lemme guess - "’" comes from posting on a phone...?

:coolshades:

Jax

Lemme guess - "’" comes from posting on a phone...?

:coolshades:

That it does - supposed to be an apostrophe. 😊

MontyPython

...😊...

"Oysters"?

"Oh You Silly..."?

"Oy vey"?

"Oh sh*t"?

;)

:D

Jax

"Oysters"?

"Oh You Silly..."?

"Oy vey"?

"Oh sh*t"?

;)

:D

:)

SARGE

Thanks for the link.

I've never been a RedState reader, and have no dog in the fight, however the headline caused me to flash on this:

:shrug:

• Disagree (-1) 1