NBC Writer: It’s “Dangerous” to Speak Spanish in the Age of Trump

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

NBC Writer: It’s “Dangerous” to Speak Spanish in the Age of Trump

http://patriotnewsdaily.com

Posted by: admin

May 29, 2018

Article:

According to a columnist for the Los Angeles Times, writing a special bit of stupidity for NBC News, it “is dangerous to speak Spanish in public in Trump’s America.”

To make this absurd claim, Gustavo Arellano cites a handful of anecdotes about the Border Patrol stopping people who were overheard corresponding in Spanish and then a second handful of stories about people getting harassed for same. Liberals: We believe in data-based science…unless it’s more convenient to just cherry-pick a few stories we heard through the grapevine!

Remarkably, though, this is not the most asinine claim that Arellano makes in the course of this opinion piece. He also claims that “Spanish, not English, is the most all-American language and has been for centuries.”

After making up some stuff about Spanish-speaking students being put in the “retarded” class for using their dominant language, Arellano proudly makes a claim that would seem to undermine his other one.

“The United States already has the second-largest population of Spanish-speakers in the world, after Mexico,” he writes. “And if current trends continue, we’ll beat our south-of-the-border frenemies by 2050.”

(Yay…)

Assuming that Arellano is correct about that statistic, wouldn’t that indicate that it is, indeed, not at all dangerous to speak Spanish in America? Is Spanish our uncrowned official language…or is it only spoken by oppressed kids who are classified as special-needs by heartless white teachers? Are Hispanics getting ready to take over as the dominant minority in America…or are they being systematically exterminated and deported by cruel Trump supporters? Are Whites running roughshod over everyone else in this fascist country…or are they an irrelevant, dying group of fuddy duddies who won’t be around in another 15 years?

And what’s this again about Spanish being the most “all-American language”?

Full Story

LongKnife

Our local Kroger is full of danger then. Spanish is about half of what you hear being spoken. Sometimes I feel like a foreigner in my own country.

grimreefer

:biglaugh:

La cocaína es una droga infernal.

Taggart Transcontinental

It's dangerous to speak spanish and be in the northern portion of the Mexican border. Those crazy drug gangs will kill you.

Lori

Our local Kroger is full of danger then. Spanish is about half of what you hear being spoken. Sometimes I feel like a foreigner in my own country.

I live in the barrio. The grocery store half a block from me is an El Ahorro. I drive an extra few minutes to get to the HEB, which is still heavily Hispanic. Looks like Houston's in a world of hurt if Spanish is now no bueno. :rolleyes:

Howsithangin

This is so stupid that all I can provide is s dumb look: :huh:

Hieronymous

I live in the barrio. The grocery store half a block from me is an El Ahorro. I drive an extra few minutes to get to the HEB, which is still heavily Hispanic. Looks like Houston's in a world of hurt if Spanish is now no bueno. :rolleyes:

Tucson is the same way. The grocery store I went to there played live mariachi on Sundays. I guess I should consider myself lucky to be alive. Oh and when people would drive up from Sonora to go to the thrift stores? Bloodbath.

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

I have 3 bilingual children. (Actually I have 5 bilingual children, 3 in Spanish, 1 in Portuguese and 1 is technically multilingual--Arabic, various Filipino dialects, and English.)

I will have to warn them all to speak English only or Trump will get them.

Ladybird

Is it that people were more tolerant in years past or is it that the public in general have let their manners slip and feel more entitled to speak their minds.

Or maybe nothing has changed, except for ordinary people being on camera.

E Van der Vliet

Seems to me that it has gotten more dangerous to be a white male in America.

So there is that.

LongKnife

Is it that people were more tolerant in years past or is it that the public in general have let their manners slip and feel more entitled to speak their minds.

So you believe what Arellano is saying?

oki

As someone who lives in a multi lingual, mult racial, and even grew up in a bit of a bi lingual household I offer this.

To put it simply a lot of people become suspicious when people are not speaking English.

Suspicious that they have not assimilated, or refuse to assimilate and especially that they are illegal aliens.

And, given the fact that the vast majority of Illegal Aliens do in fact fit the above it's not that far off base to think this.

Yes there are some people who are in fact here %100 legally who cannot or choose not to speak English. But, when you are out and about blending in, doing like and acting like others and ESPECIALLY SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE DOES WONDERS. I should know, one thing I learned from my time in Japan and subsequent visits was that even trying to speak Japanese will get you treated differently then not even attempting.

Right, wrong... it's reality. When you decide to act differently don't complain when you are viewed or treated different.

Oki

Ladybird

So you believe what Arellano is saying?

No.

gravelrash

I love standing in a checkout line with someone speaking Spanish. I will turn to my brother or my dad and start speaking German. The Spanish-speaking people will glare at us like we're mocking them. Why, yes, yes we are.

Ladybird

As someone who lives in a multi lingual, mult racial, and even grew up in a bit of a bi lingual household I offer this.

To put it simply a lot of people become suspicious when people are not speaking English.

Suspicious that they have not assimilated, or refuse to assimilate and especially that they are illegal aliens.

And, given the fact that the vast majority of Illegal Aliens do in fact fit the above it's not that far off base to think this.

Yes there are some people who are in fact here %100 legally who cannot or choose not to speak English. But, when you are out and about blending in, doing like and acting like others and ESPECIALLY SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE DOES WONDERS. I should know, one thing I learned from my time in Japan and subsequent visits was that even trying to speak Japanese will get you treated differently then not even attempting.

Right, wrong... it's reality. When you decide to act differently don't complain when you are viewed or treated different.

Oki

I’m used to hearing people speak all kind of different languages on public transportation, standing in line at a deli, in school, and (when I worked at an international firm), at work. Try listening to technical support in India, Quebec, and Brazil, coordinated by a Helpdesk in Spain at 3:AM... Good times!

Some the annoyance I’ve witnessed doesn’t just stop at people speaking another language, it’s aimed at those with a thick accent, but who is otherwise speaking English. Everyone needs to calm down and treat each other like human beings.

Edited by Ladybird

oki

I’m used to hearing people speak all kind of different languages on public transportation, standing in line at a deli, in school, and (when I worked at an international firm), at work. Try listening to technical support in India, Quebec, and Brazil, coordinated by a Helpdesk in Spain at 3:AM... Good times!

Some the annoyance I’ve witnessed doesn’t just stop at people speaking another language, it’s aimed at those with a thick accent, but who is otherwise speaking English. Everyone needs to calm down and treat each other like human beings.

I work in I.T., try dealing with someone at 2 or 3 A.M. who can't understand and you have large numbers of customers down, some of it E911, Cell Sites, Businesses etc. We deal all the time with sharp people, but cannot understand due to very very thick accents. At a certain point you just go into a duuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh frame of mind and want it to end.

What ticks me off are the types who come here and then can't understand why they are looked at differently. An accent is one thing, even a thick one. It's when the person shows no desire to actually assimilate or learn the language. Within a one block radius I know of at least 3 or 4 people who are from another land. One husband and wife are both from south of the border, not sure where, and to be honest I don't care. They are hard working, take care of their home have raised a daughter who is becoming a very nice and decent young lady as well they speak English well and have done everything that could be asked or expected. I wish them all their dreams to come true.

I have been on the other side and seen first hand the difference it makes when you at least try to learn the language assimilate be tolerant and such. Doors open and you live a much happier life.

Oki

Italian Biker

Well certainly the left has let their manners, if they had any to begin with, slip. As far as "entitled" to speak their minds, I thought this was the United States, with a the 1st Amendment, you know, that freedom of speech clause. That's not an entitlement, it's a right.

So I know you brought up one such incident in another post about border patrol agents checking someone's status because the agent over heard them speaking Spanish. But question. Do you also share the opinion that "it's dangerous" to speak Spanish in the country, and more so under Trump as president? If so, please give examples of the specific danger that a legal, law abiding resident faced due to them merely speaking Spanish.

Hieronymous

I kind of lean towards your last option.

zurg

Being more of a hardware guy, I used to speak pretty fluent Verilog but have since picked up some C and C++, Python and Java. However if I meet some who are really fluent in those I'll know they're from the evil software tribe and I'll want them either banished or working under my command.

oki

Being more of a hardware guy, I used to speak pretty fluent Verilog but have since picked up some C and C++, Python and Java. However if I meet some who are really fluent in those I'll know they're from the evil software tribe and I'll want them either banished or working under my command.

TL1 baby....

When others can understand this you know your in good company.

ent-crs-sts1::sts-16-1-1,sts-12-3-1-25&sts-14-1-1-32:1234::::;

Oki

Ladybird

Well certainly the left has let their manners, if they had any to begin with, slip. As far as "entitled" to speak their minds, I thought this was the United States, with a the 1st Amendment, you know, that freedom of speech clause. That's not an entitlement, it's a right.

So I know you brought up one such incident in another post about border patrol agents checking someone's status because the agent over heard them speaking Spanish. But question. Do you also share the opinion that "it's dangerous" to speak Spanish in the country, and more so under Trump as president? If so, please give examples of the specific danger that a legal, law abiding resident faced due to them merely speaking Spanish.

No. I said I didn’t agree with this author. I’m skeptical of his entire piece, to tell you the truth.

firecoco

I have nothing to worry about...I don’t speak Spanish

Ladybird

I work in I.T., try dealing with someone at 2 or 3 A.M. who can't understand and you have large numbers of customers down, some of it E911, Cell Sites, Businesses etc. We deal all the time with sharp people, but cannot understand due to very very thick accents. At a certain point you just go into a duuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh frame of mind and want it to end.

What ticks me off are the types who come here and then can't understand why they are looked at differently. An accent is one thing, even a thick one. It's when the person shows no desire to actually assimilate or learn the language. Within a one block radius I know of at least 3 or 4 people who are from another land. One husband and wife are both from south of the border, not sure where, and to be honest I don't care. They are hard working, take care of their home have raised a daughter who is becoming a very nice and decent young lady as well they speak English well and have done everything that could be asked or expected. I wish them all their dreams to come true.

I have been on the other side and seen first hand the difference it makes when you at least try to learn the language assimilate be tolerant and such. Doors open and you live a much happier life.

Oki

By assimilate do you mean throwing away their religious or cultural garb in order to look like everyone else? I’m glad people feel free to be themselves. There’s enough pressure for women and girls to fit a certain mold, without forcing everyone into that dish.

oki

By assimilate do you mean throwing away their religious or cultural garb in order to look like everyone else? I’m glad people feel free to be themselves. There’s enough pressure for women and girls to fit a certain mold, without forcing everyone into that dish.

At a bare minimum at least learning the language, being tolerant and allowing the kids to be free. Clothing is touchy, but when you won't even let the kids decide what they want to wear or who they can date that's an indicator right there that this is someone who simply wants to live much like they did back home. Imagine if you had Amish neighbors who refused to let their kids date non Amish, insisted on driving around town in Hoarse and Buggy, expected to be able to dress traditionally even when it was dangerous. You'd probably reach a point and say if this is how you want to live then go find an Amish community.

Like I said, if you want to be viewed and treated like everyone else then it's best you try to act like everyone else. Being that we are a very open and, tolerant society where by in large you can pretty much do what ever you please it isn't to terribly difficult. I lived in Japan for a while, as I am on the shorter side I am not real noticeable other than my face and thicker build. Imagine if I insisted on wearing Cowboy Boots, Jeans and large belt buckles because that's 'my culture' I grew up on a farm. Other then the locals who saw where amused and saw me as a sort of a freak or curiosity how well do you think I would be received vs someone who dressed and acted much like everyone else?

It ain't necessarily right or fair, but if you want to be treated and viewed like everyone else it means acting and dressing much like everyone else.

Oki

Italian Biker

Nobody is saying, nor have ever said that in order to assimilate that they have throw away or forget their native culture or religion entirely, not one. But they should assimilate to an extent, of American culture when they come here. Anyone should not be allowed to wear any thing on their heads when getting a state ID, head dress or face covering, or a different hat when in military service, etc....

What bothers me is that their are cases when ones who refuse to assimilate, try to force us to bow down to their culture, and inconvenience ourselves due to their language barrier that they brought with them. I shouldn't have to flip through 20 pages in a product manual just to find the pages I can read, especially for a product that is made here and sold here. Now, unless we're talking major huge bank outfits like Bank of America, most banks are regional or even local and only deal with accounts of people within the US. I shouldn't have to call a support number and the menu makes me listen to selections to press a number for different languages. It should be English. I also have a problem when people that have been here for 30 years have never learned or understand English. Or the fact that they bi lingual teachers are required in our schools.

Edited by Italian Biker