To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
pepperonikkid

NBC Writer: It’s “Dangerous” to Speak Spanish in the Age of Trump

Rate this topic

Censport

I love standing in a checkout line with someone speaking Spanish. I will turn to my brother or my dad and start speaking German. The Spanish-speaking people will glare at us like we're mocking them. Why, yes, yes we are.

I do the same, but using Japanese.

But yeah, it sounds like Arellano is making up a munch of BS to make Trump (or Trump's) America) look "racist".

Edited by Censport

USNRETWIFE

Nobody is saying, nor have ever said that in order to assimilate that they have throw away or forget their native culture or religion entirely, not one. But they should assimilate to an extent, of American culture when they come here. Anyone should not be allowed to wear any thing on their heads when getting a state ID, head dress or face covering, or a different hat when in military service, etc....

What bothers me is that their are cases when ones who refuse to assimilate, try to force us to bow down to their culture, and inconvenience ourselves due to their language barrier that they brought with them. I shouldn't have to flip through 20 pages in a product manual just to find the pages I can read, especially for a product that is made here and sold here. Now, unless we're talking major huge bank outfits like Bank of America, most banks are regional or even local and only deal with accounts of people within the US. I shouldn't have to call a support number and the menu makes me listen to selections to press a number for different languages. It should be English. I also have a problem when people that have been here for 30 years have never learned or understand English. Or the fact that they bi lingual teachers are required in our schools.

As do I. When we lived in the Bay Area, I worked in the office of a gymnastics club. One family got behind in their fees and I had to call them to ask them to pay their bill. They could (would?) only speak Chinese. I had to call in their 16 year old daughter, who was born and raised in the USA, to translate for them. Sixteen years minimum here and they claimed no English? Time to learn or go home.

Ladybird

I kind of lean towards your last option.

Yup I think you're right too.

I've been guilty of posting ordinary people being stupid or gross. Between all of the unfiltered thoughts twittered for the whole world and video's of people at their absolute worst, it has made everything seem worse than it is. No one is filming someone holding a door, while smiling, or helping another with their groceries (well hardly ever), because normal human decency isn't interesting. I saw a very upsetting video a little while ago of a woman committing suicide. People were filming it. Others are posting her doing this.

I'm not going to do it anymore.

zurg

Yup I think you're right too.

I've been guilty of posting ordinary people being stupid or gross. Between all of the unfiltered thoughts twittered for the whole world and video's of people at their absolute worst, it has made everything seem worse than it is. No one is filming someone holding a door, while smiling, or helping another with their groceries (well hardly ever), because normal human decency isn't interesting. I saw a very upsetting video a little while ago of a woman committing suicide. People were filming it. Others are posting her doing this.

I'm not going to do it anymore.

Somebody should post a video of me, a white guy, holding a door for a black woman. I do it all the time.

grimreefer

This guy is my hero. :stooges:

When you hold open the door and they don't say thank you:

Somebody should post a video of me, a white guy, holding a door for a black woman. I do it all the time.

I'm sure some would consider that racist misogyny. :doh:

Ticked@TinselTown

I’m used to hearing people speak all kind of different languages on public transportation, standing in line at a deli, in school, and (when I worked at an international firm), at work. Try listening to technical support in India, Quebec, and Brazil, coordinated by a Helpdesk in Spain at 3:AM... Good times!

Some the annoyance I’ve witnessed doesn’t just stop at people speaking another language, it’s aimed at those with a thick accent, but who is otherwise speaking English. Everyone needs to calm down and treat each other like human beings.

And the people who don't speak English need to make an effort to learn how if they live in America.

This country makes such broad accommodations for those who refuse to learn the language of this nation and the fact that people who live here don't bother to make the effort is not only offensive, it's rude.

On the other hand, being multi lingual means that you know when others are talking about you and you can behave accordingly. I have friends who are fluent in several languages and thankful they were because while on a vacation they listened to a 'family' at the next table at a restaurant they were at planning how to rob them in the parking lot after they paid their check.

And, yes, they were speaking Spanish.

LongKnife

Who is she?

zurg

Who is she?

:lol:

gravelrash

Who is she?

Louise Jefferson.

The real zurg:

Ralph_Hart.jpg

Ladybird

Louise Jefferson.

The real zurg:

Ralph_Hart.jpg

I remember him. He always had his hand out for a tip.

zurg

Louise Jefferson.

The real zurg:

Ralph_Hart.jpg

How.... how.... how did you guess??? :lol:

Hieronymous

I remember him. He always had his hand out for a tip.

That was a pretty big upscale complex too. If he did that to all of the tenants he may been able to afford to live there.

Vandervecken

I thought this was the Onion at first.

ASE

Seems to me that if this idiot has issues with anyone speaking Spanish being questioned by immigration police, maybe he should take it up with all the illegals coming in from Spanish speaking countries. Actually, it seems that the illegals are discriminating against non-Spanish speaking illegals, and in the interest of 'fairness' (by the lib definition of 'fairness') the Spanish speaking would-be illegals that are thinking about illegally sneaking into the U.S. should take a step back so-as-to-allow more non-Spanish speaking would-be illegals to sneak in instead.

GI JANE

LMAO! It's dangerous to be an illegal alien that doesn't speak English, as it should be.