To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Moderator T

Charles Krauthammer, conservative commentator and Pulitzer Prize winne

Rate this topic

Moderator T

Charles Krauthammer, conservative commentator and Pulitzer Prize winner, dead at 68

Elizabeth Llorente

Fox News

6/21/18

EXCERPT:

Charles Krauthammer, a longtime Fox News contributor, Pulitzer Prize winner, Harvard-trained psychiatrist and best-selling author who came to be known as the dean of conservative commentators, has died. He was 68.

His death had been expected after he wrote a heartbreaking letter to colleagues, friends and viewers on June 8 that said in part “I have been uncharacteristically silent these past ten months. I had thought that silence would soon be coming to an end, but I’m afraid I must tell you now that fate has decided on a different course for me…

““Recent tests have revealed that the cancer has returned. There was no sign of it as recently as a month ago, which means it is aggressive and spreading rapidly. My doctors tell me their best estimate is that I have only a few weeks left to live. This is the final verdict. My fight is over.”

In recent years, Krauthammer was best known for his nightly appearance as a panelist on Fox News’ “Special Report with Bret Baier” and as a commentator on various Fox news shows.

But Krauthammer was arguably a Renaissance man, achieving mastery in such disparate fields as psychiatry, speech-writing, print journalism and television. He won the Edwin Dunlop Prize for excellence in psychiatric research and clinical medicine. Journalism honors included the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary for his Washington Post columns in 1987 and the National Magazine Award for his work at The New Republic in 1984. His book, “Things That Matter: Three Decades of Passions, Pastimes and Politics,” instantly became a New York Times bestseller, remaining in the number one slot for 10 weeks, and on the coveted list for nearly 40.

Krauthammer delivered his views in a mild-mannered yet steady and almost philosophical style, befitting his background in psychiatry and detailed analysis of human behavior. Borrowing from that background, Krauthammer said in 1990, after the fall of the Berlin Wall, that the post-Cold War world had gone from bipolar to “unipolar,” with the United States as the sole superpower. He also coined the term “The Reagan Doctrine,” among others.

Krauthammer harbored no compunction about calling out those in power, whether they were Democrats or Republicans or conservatives.

(full story)

GrimV

Sad news, but obviously not unexpected. One of my biggest influences, his voice will certainly be missed.

Lori

Sad news, but obviously not unexpected. One of my biggest influences, his voice will certainly be missed.

:hug:

RIP Mr. Krauthammer -_-

Ladybird

I looked forward to reading his opinion columns, and even though I often disagreed, I found him sober, compelling, and fair.

He will be missed.

Godspeed and RIP

Dutch13
1529620640[/url]' post='685510731']

Ditto

gravelrash

Krauthammer called it himself. He had a lot of insight and presented himself with temperance. Though, I think he missed a beat or two with the mood of the nation in his analysis of, sometimes incredulity about, Trump. His background and family history alone are worth telling.

Ticked@TinselTown

A unique man with a keen intellect and POV.

A loss that will be felt for a long time to come.

RIP Mr. Krauthammer.

grimreefer

Even though we knew it was coming... damn. :(

RIP

zurg

A role model, an icon, a great human being. You helped many change their political views for the better. Good man.

Howsithangin

RIP Sir.

Brilliant mind.

LongKnife

Too bad. Always liked him.

E Van der Vliet

Very sad. May he R.I.P..

MontyPython

Krauthammer was a HUGE influence on me. He had a great mind. Can't pretend I always agreed with him, but never lost respect for him.

A poster here (who hasn't yet posted in this thread, so I can't name him) sent me his book "Things That Matter". It just arrived in the mail a couple days ago. (RN poster in question: I hope you got my PM thanking you!) I'm finishing a long novel right now, but Krauthammer's book was immediately placed at the top of the "read next" list, so I'll be starting it very soon. I can't wait.

RIP Mr Krauthammer.

:(

Weaseljd

Krauthammer was a HUGE influence on me. He had a great mind. Can't pretend I always agreed with him, but never lost respect for him.

A poster here (who hasn't yet posted in this thread, so I can't name him) sent me his book "Things That Matter". It just arrived in the mail a couple days ago. (RN poster in question: I hope you got my PM thanking you!) I'm finishing a long novel right now, but Krauthammer's book was immediately placed at the top of the "read next" list, so I'll be starting it very soon. I can't wait.

RIP Mr Krauthammer.

Read that book when it first came out. A great read - you should enjoy it.

He will be missed

Tikk

RIP Mr Krauthammer.

I'm in the same boat. I plan on purchasing the book myself.

I remember turning the channel when he wasn't on the panel for Special Report. He possessed wit, wisdom, and a profound level of understanding of politics. His words were like a kiln that separated reason from the current talking points. And he did it all with self effacing charm.

We are all less from his passing.

May he rest in peace. And may his family be consoled by his legacy and his acceptance of his own mortality.

Liz

Although as others have said, Dr. Krauthammer's death was not unexpected, the warning did nothing to soften the blow.

I didn't always agree with him, but I always respected his opinions and learned a great deal from him. May he rest in peace.

USNJIMRET

Damn, just damn.

RIP Sir.

east dallasite

RIP Mr Krauthammer.

Only 68! Way too young, but cancer has no scruples. A fine and rare man was Krauthammer, and he could really put O'Reilly in his place. Glad you got the book,Monty... What are you reading, War and Peace?

NH Populist

Sad day... RIP

MontyPython

Only 68! Way too young, but cancer has no scruples. A fine and rare man was Krauthammer, and he could really put O'Reilly in his place. Glad you got the book,Monty... What are you reading, War and Peace?

LOL. No, "The Covenant" by James Michener. It's in two volumes, and I'd just started part two when Krauthammer's book arrived, so it'll be a few more days before I start.

Thanks again! I'm really looking forward to it.

:yes:

RedSoloCup

RIP.

Read on Daily Wire the commies at the Washington POSt had to make a cheap shot at his support of the Iraq War in his death announcement....

:nuts:

Dean Adam Smithee

I looked forward to reading his opinion columns, and even though I often disagreed, I found him sober, compelling, and fair.

He will be missed.

Godspeed and RIP

As a conservative-leaning "Independent", same here.

We're getting down to a short list of columnists commentators I still read/listen to.

R.I.P Lewis Grizzard, 1994. Not really a "political" reporter/columnist but his southern/conservative values seeped through into all that he wrote.

R.I.P Art Buchwald, 2007. Yeah, okay, he wasn't exactly "conservative" but he WAS a hoot.

R.I.P William F. Buckley, 2008. For YEARS, especially in my John Birch days of my 20s, I did my best to talk like Buckley in an "educated" "mid-Atlantic" sort of way. I was only slightly worse at it than Sarah Palin trying to fake a Minnesota accent ): I think i ended up sounding like more like Dick Cavett than Bill Buckley (And I paid good money for voice lessons)

R.I.P Andrew Breitbart, 2012. Aw, man, double-plus RIP on that one.

R.I.P Tom Snyder, 2007. Probably as close as it gets to "conservative" values yet still could find a job in the MSM.

EtA: R.I.P William Safire, presidential speechwriter for Richard Nixon

So I'm down to:

Bill Bennett, though his show was dropped in ATL. I can think of only a scant handful of things I've ever disagreed with Bennett on.

Sean Hannity, IF I must. He's a suck-up to whatever Republican is in power; He's just itching for the job of Press secretary. I can take him semi-seriously.

Erick Erickson. Meh. I put him in the 20/20 hindsight category.

Eric von Haessler He's been doing it for 20+ years but I think he's still an "up and comer"; not that well known nationally yet.

Michael Savage. Haven't heard him since I left Portland. I HOPE he's still around.

(And there was some other guy who had the "noon-ish" slot on WSB Atlanta before Limbaugh, very much a SoCon, but his name escapes me.)

I dismiss out of hand:

Mark Levin, He just grates on me, in a way I can't quite describe. And he's very full of himself.

Glen Beck. Sucks. I used to like him, and was listening as the cheese slowly slid off his cracker. It was downright painful to listen to.

Edited by Dean Adam Smithee

gravelrash

William Safire, I love his "On Language" columns.

Dean Adam Smithee

William Safire, I love his "On Language" columns.

Oh, YES, DEFINITELY add that to the RIP list.

AnnieGotHerGun

Krauthammer's personal story and attitude about his own life is a testament to the kind of man he was, and can be a great inspiration to all of us.

I disagreed with him on several points, but I respected and admired his truthfulness, his tenacity, and his willingness to put it all there, not back down.

He will be missed!