Rate this topic

Liz

CNN's Tapper Has Testy Exchange With Ellison Over Farrakhan

The Hill

By Julia Manchester

06/26/18 05:30 PM EDT

Excerpt:

*snip*

CNN anchor Jake Tapper pressed Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) on his past ties to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan in a testy interview on Tuesday after Ellison blasted the Supreme Court decision to uphold President Trump's travel ban.

Ellison took exception to Tapper bringing up the issue, and the two also battled when the CNN journalist noted that The Washington Post's fact checker had given the lawmaker four Pinocchios after he said he had no relations with Farrakhan.

"Jake, they were wrong," Ellison said. "It is untrue, Jake, I'm sorry. And I'm disappointed that that is why you called me on your show today."

The tense exchanges began after Tapper said that Ellison "used to follow" Farrakhan.

"You've been decrying president Trump's bigotry. Obviously, you used to follow somebody who continually expressed sexist anti-LGBTQ and anti-semitic bigotry, Louis Farrakhan," Tapper said during the interview on CNN's "The Lead with Jake Tapper."

"I would disagree with that," Ellison interrupted.

"Well, you're decrying bigotry. Louis Farrakhan is a pretty clear bigot," Tapper said.

Ellison said he agreed that Farrakhan was a bigot before saying that he didn't support him.

"I don't have any support for what the individual you just mentioned stands for nor do I agree with Trump's bigotry either," he said. "But then again, any time somebody tries to say that something is unfair and bigoted, if you're going to say, 'Well, one time you sort of said something or somebody said you said something.'"

Tapper then interjected that Ellison was a "follower of Farrakhan."

"No, I wasn't. Jake, I'm sorry, that's not true," Ellison responded.

*snip*

Farrakhan has a long history of anti-Semitic remarks, including a speech in February, in which he said "powerful Jews" were his "enemy," and that "the Jews were responsible for all of this filth and degenerate behavior that Hollywood is putting out turning men into women and women into men.”

Ellison defended Farrakhan against accusations of anti-Semitism when he was in school, but later renounced the Nation of Islam when he ran for Congress in 2006, citing the group's "bigoted and anti-Semitic ideas and statements."

The exchange on CNN comes after Ellison issued a scathing rebuke of the Supreme Court's decision on Tuesday, saying it went against core American values.

Link

Moderator T

Tapper's a typical liberal reporter. That said he's about the only one I've seen who tries to hold politicians on the left to any sort of standard and ask hard questions. He was always solid when he was in the WH Press Corp during the Obama years.

grimreefer

Ellison must've done something to p!ss off Tapper. I watched the exchange and it was painfully obvious that Ellison was completely unprepared and had trouble trying to get his lies in order. The look on Ellison's face right before he went off camera at the end of the interview was priceless. Tapper is still a smarmy douche.

Liz

Ellison must've done something to p!ss off Tapper. I watched the exchange and it was painfully obvious that Ellison was completely unprepared and had trouble trying to get his lies in order. The look on Ellison's face right before he went off camera at the end of the interview was priceless. Tapper is still a smarmy douche.

I don't generally agree with him but I've always liked Jake Tapper. :shrug:

MontyPython

"I don't have any support for what the individual you just mentioned stands for nor do I agree with Trump's bigotry either," he said.

Well he got it half right anyway - Farrakhan is indeed a bigot. A proven, undeniable bigot.

But the accusations that Trump's a "bigot" are based on pure myth; wishful thinking.

<_<

Liz

Well he got it half right anyway - Farrakhan is indeed a bigot. A proven, undeniable bigot.

But the accusations that Trump's a "bigot" are based on pure myth; wishful thinking.

<_<

And apparently, it's enough just to label Trump a "bigot" without any evidence or explanation. The left constantly characterizes him as an anti-semite despite the love and trust he's invested in his Jewish daughter and son-in-law.

MontyPython

And apparently, it's enough just to label Trump a "bigot" without any evidence or explanation. The left constantly characterizes him as an anti-semite despite the love and trust he's invested in his Jewish daughter and son-in-law.

Yup, it's just the standard, garden-variety "a-lie-told-often-enough" strategy the Democrats employ so often. Just like the "fascist" BS, the "Muslim ban" BS, the border "concentration camps" BS, and all the rest of their BS. Face it, without shameless lying, the Dems can't keep their low-info voters' support.

B)

Ladybird

<_<

What would you call someone who follows racists and bigots and retweets their racist lies?

As for Ellison, he will never be ready for prime time until he fully comes clean with his association and, most importantly, his past belief in the views of Farrakhan. He may not have been a follower, as in an actual member of the NOI, but he felt comfortable enough to meet with him one on one. The other congressman was able to explain his presence. Ellison should do the same.

LongKnife

<_<

That's what I was thinking while reading it. They're comparing President Trump to Calypso Louis.

grimreefer
What would you call someone who follows racists and bigots and retweets their racist lies?

Progressive

Noclevermoniker

Yup, it's just the standard, garden-variety "a-lie-told-often-enough" strategy the Democrats employ so often. Just like the "fascist" BS, the "Muslim ban" BS, the border "concentration camps" BS, and all the rest of their BS. Face it, without shameless lying, the Dems can't keep their low-info voters' support.

B)

Racist!

oki

Funny, those who cannot see there idols and leaders as human beings with faults, with their own short comings or hypocracy when it exists and get upset when this is brought out are often radicals in hiding themselves. For many Farrakhan is damn near a 2nd Mohamed and how dare you insult him or question him mentality. I will explain it like this. Teddy Roosevelt is very revered amongst conservatives. His belief in gun rights, conservation, diplomacy first but be ready to fight and fight to win, his compassion is legendary. But, truth be told he didn't like Indians and even is believed to have not had to many kind words for them. Kennedy is a beloved President as well but only a freaken' idiot will down play his personal life. To say M.L.K. Jr. played a critical role in Civil Rights is putting it mildly, at the same time though we must understand he was a human being with faults, with inner demons who was quite unfaithful to his wife. Does this make the above listed contributions any less important or noteworthy? No, just pointing out for all their greatness they have or had their faults and only a brainwashed extremist would refuse to understand or acknowledge this.

Ellison is proving this point in getting all huffy when someone is pointing out Farrakhan's faults and Hypocrisy Coarse not the first time someone who is a hero to the left but there Hypocrisy is of limits if it undermines there image, status or anything else about them.

Instead they will call others bigots and racists when they cannot win an argument or can no longer argue a point.

How in the hell can you call Trump a racist or bigot when his own daughter is a Jewish convert and his Son in law is Jewish but yet part of his inner circle? For Gods sakes a number of his Cabinet are in fact minority status.

Guess when you got nothing it's okay to lie and make sh$t up.

Oki

Ladybird

Funny, those who cannot see there idols and leaders as human beings with faults, with their own short comings or hypocracy when it exists and get upset when this is brought out are often radicals in hiding themselves. For many Farrakhan is damn near a 2nd Mohamed and how dare you insult him or question him mentality. I will explain it like this. Teddy Roosevelt is very revered amongst conservatives. His belief in gun rights, conservation, diplomacy first but be ready to fight and fight to win, his compassion is legendary. But, truth be told he didn't like Indians and even is believed to have not had to many kind words for them. Kennedy is a beloved President as well but only a freaken' idiot will down play his personal life. To say M.L.K. Jr. played a critical role in Civil Rights is putting it mildly, at the same time though we must understand he was a human being with faults, with inner demons who was quite unfaithful to his wife. Does this make the above listed contributions any less important or noteworthy? No, just pointing out for all their greatness they have or had their faults and only a brainwashed extremist would refuse to understand or acknowledge this.

Ellison is proving this point in getting all huffy when someone is pointing out Farrakhan's faults and Hypocrisy Coarse not the first time someone who is a hero to the left but there Hypocrisy is of limits if it undermines there image, status or anything else about them.

Instead they will call others bigots and racists when they cannot win an argument or can no longer argue a point.

How in the hell can you call Trump a racist or bigot when his own daughter is a Jewish convert and his Son in law is Jewish but yet part of his inner circle? For Gods sakes a number of his Cabinet are in fact minority status.

Guess when you got nothing it's okay to lie and make sh$t up.

Oki

Only to members of his religion. Those words are close to blasphemy if you made that claim to actual Muslims.

Ellison is not getting “huffy” about the criticisms of Farrakhan as an antisemitic hate monger. Ellison has already denounced Farrakhan and his beliefs, at least publicly. It is what he has done privately with respect to communications with Farrakhan which is at issue.

I can call Trump a bigot when he acts like one or parrots other bigots.

Edited by Ladybird

AntiObama
ellison-farrakhan-rouhani-620x287.jpg

MontyPython

If you're talking about Trump then the answer is easy: He's someone who later discovered who and what they were, and loudly and publicly denounced them multiple times.

I know you saw in that other thread (in an article you yourself posted no less) where a card-carrying KKK member got all up in the faces of a couple Trump supporters, hollering that "Trump is a chump". If Trump really was a "racist" and/or a "bigot" (:rolleyes:), shouldn't they have been best buddies?

Funny how actual racists/bigots, card-carrying racists/bigots, recognize the fact that Trump isn't one of them, but you're so blindly and mindlessly anti-Trump you're incapable of recognizing the truth.

<_<

BerkeleyUnderground

Tapper's a typical liberal reporter. That said he's about the only one I've seen who tries to hold politicians on the left to any sort of standard and ask hard questions. He was always solid when he was in the WH Press Corp during the Obama years.

I don't generally agree with him but I've always liked Jake Tapper. :shrug:

Just my opinion, but I think it's getting to be pretty late in the day to keep grasping at straws.

Ladybird

If you're talking about Trump then the answer is easy: He's someone who later discovered who and what they were, and loudly and publicly denounced them multiple times.

I know you saw in that other thread (in an article you yourself posted no less) where a card-carrying KKK member got all up in the faces of a couple Trump supporters, hollering that "Trump is a chump". If Trump really was a "racist" and/or a "bigot" (:rolleyes:), shouldn't they have been best buddies?

Funny how actual racists/bigots, card-carrying racists/bigots, recognize the fact that Trump isn't one of them, but you're so blindly and mindlessly anti-Trump you're incapable of recognizing the truth.

<_<

Some random person on the street claims to be a Klan member that hates Trump and that makes Trump not a bigot?

Trump tweets fake memes about black crime. Doesn’t care if it’s full lies, it appeals to his black hating base.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/23/donald-trump/trump-tweet-blacks-white-homicide-victims/

Trump tweets some UK extremist groups lies about Muslims. Doesn’t matter who these people are, it appeals to his Muslim hating base.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/29/politics/donald-trump-retweet-jayda-fransen/index.html

Stand in front of an Alabama rally and lie about thousands of Muslim in America on TV cheering the destruction of the World Trade Center. Doesn’t matter that it’s not true, it appeals to his Muslim hating base.

These things make him a bigot.

There’s more, of course, but I’ll stop.

Severian

I can call Trump a bigot when he acts like one or parrots other bigots.

You do a damned good job of that regardless of what he says or does.

LongKnife

Some random person on the street claims to be a Klan member that hates Trump and that makes Trump not a bigot?

Trump tweets fake memes about black crime. Doesn’t care if it’s full lies, it appeals to his black hating base.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/23/donald-trump/trump-tweet-blacks-white-homicide-victims/

Trump tweets some UK extremist groups lies about Muslims. Doesn’t matter who these people are, it appeals to his Muslim hating base.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/29/politics/donald-trump-retweet-jayda-fransen/index.html

Stand in front of an Alabama rally and lie about thousands of Muslim in America on TV cheering the destruction of the World Trade Center. Doesn’t matter that it’s not true, it appeals to his Muslim hating base.

Well, speaking as a member of his base, I didn't know we are black-hating and muslim-hating. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Joe the Pagan

newsEngin.21176103_DSCN0441obama-shopped-3.jpg

vs

[super secret photo of President Donald Trump standing next to David Duke]

Ladybird

Well, speaking as a member of his base, I didn't know we are black-hating and muslim-hating. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I didn’t say all of his base were racist/bigots. I said he’s appealing to the members of his base who are that way.

MontyPython

:rolleyes:

The fact remains that after learning who and what they were, Trump loudly, publicly, and repeatedly denounced them.

But clearly you simply want him to be a "racist/bigot", and therefore have no intention whatsoever of acknowledging the truth.

Typical.

Ladybird

The fact remains that after learning who and what they were, Trump loudly, publicly, and repeatedly denounced them.

But clearly you simply want him to be a "racist/bigot", and therefore have no intention whatsoever of acknowledging the truth.

Typical.

Is that so? When did he apologize for the lie about the cheering masses?

And please point to the loud and public apology for tweeting the Britain First videos or the meme with the dark skinned man pointing a gun with a bunch of bogus statistics?

When has he apologized for anything?

MontyPython

Is that so? When did he apologize for the lie about the cheering masses?

And please point to the loud and public apology for tweeting the Britain First videos or the meme with the dark skinned man pointing a gun with a bunch of bogus statistics?

When has he apologized for anything?

I said "denounced". Where did I say he "apologized"? And after having loudly, publicly, and repeatedly denounced them, why does he need to apologize? Isn't that akin to demanding "frosting" instead of "icing", as though there was a difference? Demanding a sofa instead of a couch? Demanding six instead of a half-dozen? Demanding a Democrat instead of an idiot?

Ladybird

I said "denounced". Where did I say he "apologized"? And after having loudly, publicly, and repeatedly denounced them, why does he need to apologize? Isn't that akin to demanding "frosting" instead of "icing", as though there was a difference? Demanding a sofa instead of a couch? Demanding six instead of a half-dozen? Demanding a Democrat instead of an idiot?

He needs to apologize because his lies have smeared whole groups of people, that’s why.