To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

How LeBron James’ new public school really is the first of its kind

Rate this topic

Ladybird

How LeBron James’ new public school really is the first of its kind

The I Promise School is unique — but it’s also building from a successful model.

By Christian D'Andrea@TrainIsland Jul 31, 2018, 2:25pm EDT

Akron’s public schools have a major problem; its at-risk students are falling well behind the rest of the K-12 population in the classroom. The question the district faces now is whether LeBron James can fix that.

James’ I Promise School opened Monday to serve low-income and at-risk students in his hometown, and the public school could be an agent of change in the eastern Ohio city. The institution is the intersection of James’ philanthropic Family Foundation and the I Promise Network he helped kickstart. I Promise began as an Akron-based non-profit aimed at boosting achievement for younger students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Now the movement has the means to educate these students year-round.

There are aspects of James’ school that are wholly unique. There are others that build on a tested network of educational reforms. Here’s why the I Promise School stands out.

I Promise is building from a model that’s shown success

I Promise will feature longer school days, a non-traditional school year, and greater access to the school, its facilities, and its teachers during down time for students. That’s a formula aimed at replicating some of the at-home support children may be missing when it comes to schoolwork. The school has also anchored its curriculum in math and science-based teaching, dipping into the STEM — science, technology, engineering, and math — curriculum that prepares students for the jobs of the future.

This interweaving of community-building and future-focused learning isn’t new and has succeeded at other innovative schools across the country.

<snip>

Link

firecoco

LeBron James is a POS

Ladybird

LeBron James is a POS

??

Because he signed with the Lakers?

Buckwheat Jones

I haven’t noticed the nba for years. But the school sounds good.

SARGE

I haven’t noticed the nba for years. But the school sounds good.

I have no idea who this guy is.

No, I don't live under a rock, I just have no interest in pro sports especially Bball.

If he actually wants to help people, good for him.

Dean Adam Smithee

If I may take this one point at a time...

I Promise is building from a model that’s shown success

I Promise will feature longer school days...

I'm opposed. I've seen studies that claim kids need MORE hours in school. I've seen studies that claim kids need FEWER hours in school. I believe what's need is more effective use of the existing time.

I occasionally taught at (and still lecture at) college level, mostly adults on technical subjects. Even with adults, I know it to be true: There's a proper 'pace' for absorbing knowledge; throwing information at kids for more hours in a day DOESN'T necessarily mean they'll learn/retain more.

Let's not turn schoolkids into the equivalent of Med School students whose life is mostly a blur of cramming for the next exam with very little time to actually 'grok' it.

....a non-traditional school year...

Uh-oh. These days I cringe when I hear "non-traditional" - progressives have so distorted it - even though I myself was a "non-traditional" student: Undergrad spread out over almost 10 years in bits and pieces as I could buy it credit hour by credit hour; grad degree whilst approaching 40.

Growing up in Indiana, "Traditional" school year was roughly Labor Day to Memorial Day, give or take an extra week. It seemed to work.

In Georgia, Schools as of this week - beginning of August - are back in session. THAT's non-traditional, as far as I'm concerned.

And... WTF???? Send kids back to school for THEEE hottest month of the year where schools will spend gazillions on air conditioning???? I can only assume that the MORON who put this schedule into place has stock in Georgia Power.

... and greater access to the school, its facilities, and its teachers during down time for students. That’s a formula aimed at replicating some of the at-home support children may be missing when it comes to schoolwork. The school has also anchored its curriculum in math and science-based teaching, dipping into the STEM — science, technology, engineering, and math — curriculum that prepares students for the jobs of the future.

Down Time??? Longer days. Non-traditional, er, F'ed up school year. When exactly IS this mythical "down time" supposed to occur?

EtA: Gary Larson NAILED it in a "Far Side" cartoon:

my-brain-is-full-1.jpg

Edited by Dean Adam Smithee

Ladybird

If I may take this one point at a time...

I'm opposed. I've seen studies that claim kids need MORE hours in school. I've seen studies that claim kids need FEWER hours in school. I believe what's need is more effective use of the existing time.

I occasionally taught at (and still lecture at) college level, mostly adults on technical subjects. Even with adults, I know it to be true: There's a proper 'pace' for absorbing knowledge; throwing information at kids for more hours in a day DOESN'T necessarily mean they'll learn/retain more.

Let's not turn schoolkids into the equivalent of Med School students whose life is mostly a blur of cramming for the next exam with very little time to actually 'grok' it.

Uh-oh. These days I cringe when I hear "non-traditional" - progressives have so distorted it - even though I myself was a "non-traditional" student: Undergrad spread out over almost 10 years in bits and pieces as I could buy it credit hour by credit hour; grad degree whilst approaching 40.

Growing up in Indiana, "Traditional" school year was roughly Labor Day to Memorial Day, give or take an extra week. It seemed to work.

In Georgia, Schools as of this week - beginning of August - are back in session. THAT's non-traditional, as far as I'm concerned.

And... WTF???? Send kids back to school for THEEE hottest month of the year where schools will spend gazillions on air conditioning???? I can only assume that the MORON who put this schedule into place has stock in Georgia Power.

Down Time??? Longer days. Non-traditional, er, F'ed up school year. When exactly IS this mythical "down time" supposed to occur?

EtA: Gary Larson NAILED it in a "Far Side" cartoon:

my-brain-is-full-1.jpg

3 months of doing nothing versus continuing an education? I did it, in a different way. I went to summer school every year starting in 8th grade, even when I wasn't forced. Earn some credits and keep learning all through the hazy days of summer. What's the down side? I was a perpetual truant that ended up graduating early.

Edited by Ladybird

Dean Adam Smithee

3 months of doing nothing versus continuing an education? I did it, in a different way. I went to summer school every year starting in 8th grade, even when I wasn't forced. Earn some credits and keep learning all through the hazy days of summer. What's the down side? I was a perpetual truant that ended up graduating early.

There are those who might, but its not the norm. (I graduated early, too, "midterm", only because there were certain classes I couldn't take until first semester of 12th grade)

I'll posit that both of us are "above the norm".

But even *I*, 98th percentile on most tests, NEEDED a breather in between years.

zurg

There are those who might, but its not the norm. (I graduated early, too, "midterm", only because there were certain classes I couldn't take until first semester of 12th grade)

I'll posit that both of us are "above the norm".

But even *I*, 98th percentile on most tests, NEEDED a breather in between years.

I think LeBron's school sounds good. STEM, say no more. And extended time at school isn't a bad idea for students who don't have a stable home life or parents who need to work two or three jobs.

grimreefer

No, I don't live under a rock, I just have no interest in pro sports especially Bball.

Agree. I pay little to no attention to grown men who play with balls for a living. But if he's trying to help kids then good on him.

Ladybird

So the stable genius in chief has nothing better to do than tweet insults at LeBron James (and Don Lemon).

Apparently he is a CNN watcher.

searcher

You're not alone. I had heard the name but I thought maybe football or a rapper.

Mark

E Van der Vliet

So the stable genius in chief has nothing better to do than tweet insults at LeBron James (and Don Lemon).

Apparently he is a CNN watcher.

Two wealthy black men lamenting about how difficult it is for them being black while bashing Trump. Please!

And Don Lemmon once asked if it is preposterous that a missing plane could have been sucked into a black hole.

The man is not smart.

And Lebron brought up Trayvon Martin as some kind of racial injustice.

Neither one of these idiots addressed the problems WITHIN the black community. Its all blame whitey blame Trump. So <censored>ing tired of that <censored>.

Trump's tweet was unnecessary, but Lebron and Lemmon are no intellectual heavy weights.

AntiObama

Obama to LeBron. You didn't build that.

photo.jpg

Ladybird

Two wealthy black men lamenting about how difficult it is for them being black while bashing Trump. Please!

And Don Lemmon once asked if it is preposterous that a missing plane could have been sucked into a black hole.

The man is not smart.

Neither one of these idiots addressed the problems WITHIN the black community. Its all blame whitey blame Trump. So <censored>ing tired of that <censored>.

Trump's tweet was unnecessary, but Lebron and Lemmon are no intellectual heavy weights.

He’s the president. Just ignore them. No one except the ten people watching CNN on a Friday night would have known what was said. Instead another juvenile tweet has made it big news.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1025726278299738112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1025726278299738112&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fhomenews%2Fmedia%2F400377-cnn-mocks-trump-for-tweeting-about-cnn-interview-sounds-like-melania-had-the

Nicely played..

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

The man is not smart.

:clap: :exactly:

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

He’s the president. Just ignore them. No one except the ten people watching CNN on a Friday night would have known what was said. Instead another juvenile tweet has made it big news.

It pissed you (a liberal) off.

So mission accomplished! :D

Ladybird

It pissed you (a liberal) off.

So mission accomplished! :D

Right It’s all worth it to 'own' the libs.

These are truly ‘tarded times we are in.

Edited by Ladybird

SARGE

Bottom line:

How much of the cost is on LeBron?

How much will this cost the taxpayers

MontyPython

Like others who've posted before me, I had no idea who LeBron James is. I'd heard the name before, of course, so I knew he was somebody who was well-known for some reason or another. I just didn't know what that reason was. Sports? Music? Actor? Politician? Didn't matter to me.

Well now because of this kerfuffle I've watched that "interview" James did with Don Lemon. After seeing the stupid BS James said about Trump, I can understand why Trump responded as he did.

<_<

grimreefer

Like others who've posted before me, I had no idea who LeBron James is. I'd heard the name before, of course, so I knew he was somebody who was well-known for some reason or another. I just didn't know what that reason was. Sports? Music? Actor? Politician? Didn't matter to me.

Well now because of this kerfuffle I've watched that "interview" James did with Don Lemon. After seeing the stupid BS James said about Trump, I can understand why Trump responded as he did.

<_<

And of course CNN is now calling Trump a racist (again) for his response. :rolleyes:

MontyPython

And of course CNN is now calling Trump a racist (again) for his response. :rolleyes:

Of course! Only true morons are still deluding themselves Trump is a "racist", and CNN moron-central.

B)

Ladybird

<_<

And you wouldn't have heard about this kerfluffle were it not for this very thin skinned man, who only wants to unite the most fervent members of his base.

The first lady chimed in.. lol

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/400398-melania-breaks-with-trump-lebron-is-working-to-do-good-things

Edited by Ladybird

zurg

And you wouldn't have heard about this kerfluffle were it not for the this very skinned man, who only wants to unite to the most fervent members of his base.

The first lady chimed in.. lol

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/400398-melania-breaks-with-trump-lebron-is-working-to-do-good-things

It’s possible to agree that LeBron’s school is a good thing and his statement about Trump is a bad thing. I guess that dichotomy never occurred to you. That’s ok, you only go party line so how would you know?

searcher

I sometimes wish President Trump would let the occasional snide remark about him slide, but he has never been known to. And now he's pretty set in his ways and I can understand that. I'd fight back too and part of me is glad to finally have a President who doesn't suffer insults quietly.

Mark