Gertie Keddle

Gender, Ethnic Studies profs earn about $12k more than peers

Celine Ryan

California Senior Campus Correspondent

Campus Reform

on Aug 13, 2018 at 11:02 AM EDT

Excerpt:

•  
  • A new report based on salary data from the 2017-2018 academic year reveals that professors of “Area, Ethnic, Cultural, Gender, and Group Studies” earn almost $12,000 more than the average professor, overall.
  • Notably, professors of subjects like Gender and Ethnic Studies also made about $15,000 more per year than their counterparts in fields like Math, Biology, and the Physical Sciences.

Professors of subjects such as Women’s Studies and Ethnic Studies are largely outearning those that teach more traditional subjects like math and science, according to a new analysis.

A report released by The College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR) reveals that the average salary for professors of “Area, Ethnic, Cultural, Gender, and Group Studies” during the 2017-2018 academic year was about $15,000 more per year more than for Biology, Math & Stats, and Science professors.

According to the report, “Area, Ethnic, Cultural, Gender, and Group Studies” professors earned an average of $105,656 last year, while professors of Physical Sciences earned only $90,422. Mathematics and Statistics professors made an average of $89,691, and Biology and biomedical professors earned just $88,792.

Courses taught by professors of subjects like Cultural and Gender Studies include Social Justice Praxis at the University of California-San Diego, Queer Sexuality in Black Popular Culture at UC-Santa Cruz, and Transnational Feminism at UC-Berkeley.

Professors of this type also make considerably more than traditional liberal arts professors, with English instructors earning just $85,423 on average, and those teaching “Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies, and Humanities” averaging only $91,883.

Article

Mrdirt73

Simple. When have you ever heard of a Math prof suing for discrimination?

intotheblackhole

Liberal arts degrees are worthless. But I love seeing liberals get one and then try to find a job with it and then paying off their student loans with minimum wage.

Diamond369

That's messed up. Why have such a major in our climate when things seem to have worsened between the sexes and between the races.

bearded old man

Liberal arts degrees are worthless. But I love seeing liberals get one and then try to find a job with it and then paying off their student loans with minimum wage.

I live in a tourist city that has a Liberal Arts college and most of the bartenders, servers and clerks have degrees in one form of liberal 'study' or another. They can barely afford to live locally as real estate is high in the city and they can't afford to leave as they have minimal job skills plus loans to pay off.

Bubbajoebob

State income taxes are very correlated with crop prices in the Midwest. Crop prices are down, so last year the university asked for suggestions for saving money because the legislature said we were getting a budget cut. I (anonymously of course -- I'm not stupid) suggested that any department or program with the name "studies" in it could be cut or merged with another department, giving a big cut in office staff, etc. costs.

They found other cuts to make and we still have Black Studies, International Studies, Latino Studies, Religious Studies, and Women's and Gender Studies as departments and majors, and Ancient Mediterranean Studies, Holocaust and Genocide Studies, Human Rights Studies, Islamic Studies, LGBTQ Sexuality Studies, Medieval Studies, Native American Studies, and Sustainability as minors. (OK, Sustainability doesn't have "studies" in it, but it might as well.)

Some of those programs probably do some good things. But anything legitimate those programs do could easily be done in a History, foreign language, Anthropology, Political Science, or Sociology department.

SARGE

Some of those programs probably do some good things. But anything legitimate those programs do could easily be done in a History, foreign language, Anthropology, Political Science, or Sociology department.

Those dry, dusty, antiquated departments don't give these morally superior paragons of diversity the opportunity to tout their superior philosophy.

That, and by having these 'programs' they can attract a lot of money.

Edited by SARGE

intotheblackhole

I live in a tourist city that has a Liberal Arts college and most of the bartenders, servers and clerks have degrees in one form of liberal 'study' or another. They can barely afford to live locally as real estate is high in the city and they can't afford to leave as they have minimal job skills plus loans to pay off.

Yup. My wife has 2 degrees. One is a BA and the there is a BS. Every job she has ever gotten was because of her BS degree. I have 3 degrees, a BA, BS and my MSc degree which is the only degree that got me anywhere. The others are worthless.

Tikk

Anyone want to place a bet that the women and minority professors are paid more than the white men?

Howsithangin

That's messed up. Why have such a major in our climate when things seem to have worsened between the sexes and between the races.

:clap: :bowdown:

Howsithangin

This is simply reflective of Academia's priorities. <_<

E Van der Vliet

Simple. Since more kids are taking these studies for the easy way out, there is a higher demand for these majors. So supply meets demand.

The colleges don't care if these degrees lead to better employment. They just care about the cash.

Hieronymous

State income taxes are very correlated with crop prices in the Midwest. Crop prices are down, so last year the university asked for suggestions for saving money because the legislature said we were getting a budget cut. I (anonymously of course -- I'm not stupid) suggested that any department or program with the name "studies" in it could be cut or merged with another department, giving a big cut in office staff, etc. costs.

They found other cuts to make and we still have Black Studies, International Studies, Latino Studies, Religious Studies, and Women's and Gender Studies as departments and majors, and Ancient Mediterranean Studies, Holocaust and Genocide Studies, Human Rights Studies, Islamic Studies, LGBTQ Sexuality Studies, Medieval Studies, Native American Studies, and Sustainability as minors. (OK, Sustainability doesn't have "studies" in it, but it might as well.)

Why not just merge them all together and create a College of Virtue Signaling.

Howsithangin

Why not just merge them all together and create a College of Virtue Signaling.

That's called UC Berkeley

Censport

You live in Nashville too?

JerryL

Just further proof that indoctrination is more important than education.

Italian Biker

Because the liberals want to perpetuate the division between the sexes and races. That's how they profit, that's how they dupe so many women and minority voters.

Mrdirt73

You live in Nashville too?

+1

ASE

No doubt those that are paid more would suppport the concept of 'equal-pay-for-equal-work' (unless it applies to them).

MontyPython

No doubt those that are paid more would suppport the concept of 'equal-pay-for-equal-work' (unless it applies to them).

Yeah, but also no doubt they'd never acknowledge that teaching useless, pointless "studies" isn't "equal" to teaching actually useful things like math, science, etc.

B)

RedSoloCup

Anyone want to place a bet that the women and minority professors are paid more than the white men?

:yeahthat: